• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kittan was one day away from retirement!

He was going to go home and be a family man, damnit!

He was going to go beyond the impossible and go where Kamina had never been!

Kittan could never surpass Kamina, he could only hope to match him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Three Weeks:

VBjWzRu.gif

I'm a big Faulconer guy but I've gained appreciation for the original Japanese soundtrack watching Kai.

It's a shame most of the original OST best scores are left out of Kai, and they were pretty rushed placing them in.

Which is why I prefer the Yamamoto on Kai but the old placement from Z JPN score stomps on them both.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly the plagiarized tracks are the best. Falconer probably would be if the man understood the power of silence, every second of Z seemingly has music over/under it.

ckohler

Fantastic stuff this week SAB. I like when you do comedy/parody stuff for the shows like the Liefeld reference. I'm kinda tired so I'll make this week's reviews short:

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - Pretty hype. This fight is better than I remember it being. The VAs are doing a great job of selling the intensity. I still don't clearly remember how things play out so it still feels kinda new to me. I stilll think it's dumb that Piccolo was able to blow up the Earth's moon several episodes ago but at least it played into the plot some more.

Kill la Kill - An enjoyable episode. It's not one of my favorites or anything but the group watch made it more enjoyable. It brought the main plot back into focus after last week's silly antics and raised a lot of new questions to be answered. Mako really is the best character and a friend you would want by your side. Ryuko and Senketsu's friendship was nicely formed and both Vas did a great job of selling it.

Naruto: Shippuden - Someone was saying last month that this filler arc was better than the main stuff and so far, I have to agree. Even though the comedy often falls flat at least it's more entertaining than constant angst and endless, dull, exposition. There was actual ninja action and even the animation looked pretty good. I'm intrigued to see more.

InuYasha: The Final Act - This big-bad guy comes out of no where, was apparently their dad's foe, and is defeated in the same episode? That's Final Act for ya. It was an okay episode but mostly forgettable. Each episode of this show does move the plot forward and in this case, it does so well. However, most of the characters are just sorta "there" while it's just Sesshomaru and InuYasha doing anything. It was mediocre.

Gurren Lagann - Amazing episode. Kittan was a true man. A never-ceasing, selfless hero. Yeah, so he was also a knucklehead but his heart was big enough to give the human race a chance. He was also powerful. Only one of three people to ever pull off the Giga Drill Break and one of only a few characters to truly harness the true power of the spiral to manipulate matter directly. It goes without saying but the next two final episodes can not be missed. Next week's episode in particular WILL make you feel. I guarantee it.

One Piece - This was crazy random. I didn't actually mind this side story however most (if not all) the cameos were lost to me. I have no idea who Buggy is or Panda Man (until someone pointed me to the wiki). It seems like I would have enjoyed this even more had I been a long time fan but even without getting the references, it was still kinda fun and refreshing.

Deadman Wonderland - I both really liked and hated this episode. What I liked was the return of Crow and the scenes with Shiro in contemplation and sadness. I also liked the swerve reveal of the USB stick being just a bomb and that one insane computer nerd going evil. What I hated were watching Ganta wallowing in his own puddle of self-pitty and moaning endlessly. He was a 9 out of 10 on the Shinji scale. Every time I think this guy is going to man up he goes back to being a wimpy bore. Maybe Gurren Lagann has spoiled me. I'm still enjoying this show enough to want to see it to the end but I'm also ready for it to end soon enough.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fantastic stuff this week SAB. I like when you do comedy/parody stuff for the shows like the Liefeld reference. I'm kinda tired so I'll make this week's reviews short:

One Piece - This was crazy random. I didn't actually mind this side story however most (if not all) the cameos were lost to me. I have no idea who Buggy is or Panda Man (until someone pointed me to the wiki). It seems like I would have enjoyed this even more had I been a long time fan but even without getting the references, it was still kinda fun and refreshing.

Buggy the Clown is the third villain Luffy encountered (after Alvida and Captain Morgan).
He ate the Chop Chop Fruit, which allows him to split apart his body in any which way. He's also fond of high-powered cannon balls.
His nose seems to be naturally red & round as he gets extremely offended if someone brings it up (or rather, if he thinks he hears someone bring it up)
At first, he was a semi-serious threat. But overtime he became a much more fitting joke villain, especially when compared to bigger threats like Don Krieg, Arlong, Crocodile, Eneru, the Three Admirals, the World Government with CP9, and many others I can't say without getting into spoilers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Buggy is like the first full arc I can (for the most part) remember back when I was watching the 4Kids version as a teen. Heck, only Nami & Zoro were around when they first met Buggy.

Can't believe how long ago that was.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Buggy is like the first full arc I can (for the most part) remember back when I was watching the 4Kids version as a teen. Heck, only Nami & Zoro were around when they first met Buggy.

Can't believe how long ago that was.

I love early One Piece.

Soulflarz

Banned
I love early One Piece.

I loved it when I got past the despair that I knew this was going to be one hell of a marathon, and before right past the arlong arc when it felt like the crew was doing stuff for the sake of it being an arc, and not to account for some overarcing story. The current arc feels very relevant in terms of the plot not being seemingly random and an arc that simply exists though, so it's all good.

One Piece is much more enjoyable when you aren't rushing it a ton.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 87

Right, you know the endgame is starting when the tone of the series turns darker, more serious when a bent towards the melancholy and indeed that is the case here. The Black Lady has implanted the Malefic Black Crystal into the past and its power is about to reach apex. In spite of the things I hate about this season re-viewing it and indeed reviewing it these past few months has shown me that overall, at least the Black Moon portion of R, is the superior product. To wit, this penultimate episode figured out how to properly balance the ever more serious tone with lighter moments by ditching the fucking comedy and giving the girls resolve to make plans, simple plans the next day. Even Naru gets into the act, making a increasingly rarefied appearance to have a surprisingly touching moment before the serious shit get rolling.

Meanwhile on the other side of the isle Prince Dimande is still pissed off with Wiseman who honestly handled the whole business last episode rather poorly but he still goes along with things because he still believes in the cause. ]So now that both sides have the resolve it is almost time for the final battle but first Prince Dimande decides to hypnotize and seduce and probably eventually rape Sailor Moon and in a turn of events that actually is a good showcase of how strong Usagi has grown up to this point. People say that Usagi never changes or the growth is nominal and I am hereto say that is not true. Oh sure, there are basic personality traits that never go away especially in the name of comedy. However, the Usagi that stands before the prince is not the whining and scared lite girl who needed basically all of her friends to die before she found the proper resolve that we saw last season.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that instead of a fight Sailor Moon takes a page from Naruto and engages in a bit of Talk No Jitsu in order to plead for the Prince to abandon his evil ways and it actually works, too late as it turns out as The Evil Plan is about to be completed and he has Outlive His Usefulness to Wiseman who kills him in the bloodiest scenes since Nephrite's death. Since he has redeemed himself in the eyes of the show he gets rather dignified death, more dignified then he deserves quite frankly. I liked his death in the manga better, much more pointlessly sad and cruel as befitting his actions and chracter. Still, even with the Prince dead Wiseman is revealed to be the true final boss who want to bathe the world in darkness because reasons. Honestly, they just kind of forgot to give Wiseman an actual backstory in this version. At any rate onward to the finale!

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 88

So at last we come to the final battle of Sailor Moon R and I have a variety of complex opinions on this matter.
So the final confrontation comes down in two parts; first talking down Black Lady from the precipice of oblivion. I find is very ironic that these scenes were centered around the Momoru-Usagi-Chibi-Usa dynamic when this was one of the few plot points from Black Moon that didn't center around them. I will not say too much on that but it was the grand culmination of Sailor Pluto's contributions to this arc and I shall rant on this a bit later. There are a couple of reasons for this playing out differently and not just because of story alterations. The very story structure of the 1990s anime means that Chibi-Usa has more friends then just Pluto at this point since she actually spends a great deal of time with the Inners. At any rate, even with Black Lady defeated and reverted, Wiseman reveals that the black gate is complete and his rule is almost at hand. What transpires next is so epic it requires its own unique theme song that I quite like. Also, Chibi-Usa finally realizes what a grandiose little shit she has been this entire season and reveals that she has the Silver Crystal of the Future and their combined power instead of dooming the world overwhelms Wiseman and saves the day. The forces of evil are beaten back once more and the future is secured once again and Chibi-Usa is sent back to the future.

Right, so what do I think of Sailor Moon R having watched it with fresh eyes. Well, I think I have tipped my hand on more then a few occasions. It still a few wretched warts that I can't overlook. I have made my feelings clear on the likes of Chibi-Usa, the Tree of Doom arc and that stupid fucking break up subplot to the point where I don't feel the need to rehash them. Instead I want to rant about how they fucking wasted Sailor Pluto. I remember thinking sometime back at being surprised that Sailor Pluto debuted in R because I didn't have any memories of her until S from back in the day. The reason is simple, she is barely fucking in this season. Okay, they got the fact that she is the guardian of time and space and the most bored doorwoman in the universe down. The problem is she is supposed to leave her post in order to help the others in some of their darkest times at the cost of everything. It is seriously my favorite parts of Dark Moon and it disappoints me that she had to wait until S to shine. Still in spite of all of these issues I welcome the Ikuhara era as it marked a fundamental shift from slice of life event storytelling to much more dramatic character based tales and because of that this is a better season then the first. Still not agreeing with Jaken that it is the best of Sailor Moon be it manga or anime. Indeed next week we head to what many consider to be the peak of Sailor Moon as Infinity awaits us.

Jarate

Banned
havent been able to sleep well for the past week, prolly means I have Fibro Myalgia guys!

whats a good anime to watch while im sick

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Deadman Wonderland - I both really liked and hated this episode. What I liked was the return of Crow and the scenes with Shiro in contemplation and sadness. I also liked the swerve reveal of the USB stick being just a bomb and that one insane computer nerd going evil. What I hated were watching Ganta wallowing in his own puddle of self-pitty and moaning endlessly. He was a 9 out of 10 on the Shinji scale. Every time I think this guy is going to man up he goes back to being a wimpy bore. Maybe Gurren Lagann has spoiled me. I'm still enjoying this show enough to want to see it to the end but I'm also ready for it to end soon enough.

I think this is a big reason why DMW kinda falls off a cliff for me. I really really enjoyed the first 6 episodes as amazingly entertaining stupid fun, but as soon as Scar Chain is introduced I just can't find myself giving a shit anymore. Happened last time and it happened again this time too. I don't think it's actually because of Scar Chain, though, but rather because Ganta, just after kind of adjusting to prison life and becoming a badass, suddenly reverts right back to being a fish out of water again, only this time for some reason even less capable of handling himself than the last time.

It probably doesn't help that it's like the third time the series has decided to change what it thinks it wants to be within the first 8 or 9 episodes. At some point you have to pick a vision and go with it. Deadman Wonderland never does, it just flirts with genres for a couple episodes and then moves on.

Raxus

Action Battle anime that's not Hunter x Hunter
Im still confused as to why people love HxH so much.

sub or dub dont care, as long as it's good

Gundam Build Fighters (or Try) school drama and Gundam. It really is the best Gundam anime in years. It really shows the creators love of all things Gundam.

You can find the entire series here.

Redline. UnceunceunceunceunceunceunceunceMadHouseunceunceunceunceunceunceunce. Free on Youtube. Enjoy.

For American Action I suggest Avatar heavily influenced by anime and great action and characters. Tough it out for the first few episodes and everything else is (mostly) gravy.

Steven Universe. Slice of Life and Action. I have been really enjoying this and it has gotten really good in the second half. Most episodes end with an action sequence mixing sci-fi, anime influences, and good characters.

Hope this gives you something to enjoy. Get better soon!

I think this is a big reason why DMW kinda falls off a cliff for me. I really really enjoyed the first 6 episodes as amazingly entertaining stupid fun, but as soon as Scar Chain is introduced I just can't find myself giving a shit anymore. Happened last time and it happened again this time too. I don't think it's actually because of Scar Chain, though, but rather because Ganta, just after kind of adjusting to prison life and becoming a badass, suddenly reverts right back to being a fish out of water again, only this time for some reason even less capable of handling himself than the last time.

It probably doesn't help that it's like the third time the series has decided to change what it thinks it wants to be within the first 8 or 9 episodes. At some point you have to pick a vision and go with it. Deadman Wonderland never does, it just flirts with genres for a couple episodes and then moves on.

I actually think it is because of Scar Chain. I mean, neither of the two previous "settings" for the show have been terribly innovative. The initial theme park thing was kind of interesting but it wasn't exactly new, and Carnival Corpse was just a tournament. But I think the show made the most of those by just generally being kind of unhinged; stuff like the Dog Race and the fight against Yo's sister was nuts. The insanity kept you invested, and the Scar Chain segment feels weirdly subdued by comparison. The show comes alive again when the undertakers hang around because they're bizarre in the way the show used to be, but without them we're just left with a group of characters we barely know and an escape plan that's pretty uninspired.

Raxus

DWL is indeed at it's best when it is off the rails crazy and Dude, Ubermonk'ing every few minutes. It is a large reason why it was such a fun group watch. The escape does turn it into pretty generic anime at moments but at least there is just enough crazy to get us through the remaining episodes. It'd be nice if the dub kept the mindset of the first 6 episodes as well because it isn't often you run into an anime where cursing becomes an artform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom