• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
it kinda sounds like I hate the show already, but not really

it's not overtly awful, it's just not very effective at anything

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
watching episode 4

so wait a minute

I'm confused, they spent the whole episode acting like this girl had a crush on Kirito and then she's like "I got to have my very own big brother"

and they had about four too many "oh no my skirt/he almost saw my underwear" moments

also, vine monster AND this weird tongue-looking plant in one episode?

also, is this dude just going to keep getting powered up offscreen?

you know what it fucking feels like? it feels like the actual anime is happening offscreen and all the one-off filler episodes are what we actually get to see

like, we should have seen a couple different arcs between like first floor and now

like one where he meets/joins the assault team and another when he gets that battle regen ability

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Panty and Stocking is so weird. It's easily described as "What if Gainax made a Adult Swim show?", to the point that everyone thought it was intentionally done for its inevitable airing. Sadly for Gainax, they made it during anime's lowest point of popularity in America.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I finished Hunter X Hunter tonight. Won't bother catching up with the extremely brief bit between the end of the anime and where the manga ended up.

Honestly, it's a pretty good place to end the series if you had to make a choice as it ends up where it should end up. The final arc in general is really good.

My initial impressions of watching the show were that the opening and ending sucked. This isn't quite right. The first ending was so awful it made me dislike the opening, which is pretty great in the end. My next impression was that the show is SHONEN AS FUCK, which is dead center on the mark. Another thing that struck me early on was that the show was a total sausage fest, which luckily does change after the second arc.

The first ending was so awful it made me dislike the opening, which is pretty great in the end.
10859754_995315170484177_234897580_n.jpg

What am I reading?

My next impression was that the show is SHONEN AS FUCK, which is dead center on the mark.

ManGawd, stahp.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HxH is the platonic form of Shonen bro.

Main character is 12, looking for his dad, wears shorts all the time, never gives up, bolieves in the power of friendship conquering all, talks with his fists, and is looking for his deadbeat dad. No sells injuries like John Cena, is a genius of training. I can go on and on.

The first ending is WRETCHED.

Jintor

the funny thing about SAO is that I think it's actually at the most interesting when it's kind of off-episode almost slice-of-life instead of actually following the 'main story' because the main story is real bad

BBboy20

Oh shoot, you guys are talking Persona? Lemme get in on that. So you guys gonna play Persona 5 on PS4 or PS3? I know the differences will be negligible but I want to get a PS4 just to do the game justice.
Did I say this before? I so looked at my PS3 as my partner in participation of P5, saying screw next-gen... and then the PS4 announcement happened...and I felt sorry for my PS3...

\m/

HxH is the platonic form of Shonen bro.

Main character is 12, looking for his dad, wears shorts all the time, never gives up, bolieves in the power of friendship conquering all, talks with his fists, and is looking for his deadbeat dad. No sells injuries like John Cena, is a genius of training. I can go on and on.

Well of course, Gon is the quintessential action shonen protagonist, which makes everything that happens with him and the world around him much more interesting. HxH deconstructs and reconstructs plenty of shonen tropes.

The first ending is WRETCHED.

There's no cure for bad taste in music.

you know what it fucking feels like? it feels like the actual anime is happening offscreen and all the one-off filler episodes are what we actually get to see

like, we should have seen a couple different arcs between like first floor and now

like one where he meets/joins the assault team and another when he gets that battle regen ability

There is a reason for that actually

The original shorty story/book covered the first two episodes, then skipped and covered the last few. Years down the line when he decided to write more content for SAO aka the second book he decided to do a bunch of side stories to fill the gap in the original book that he skipped to help fill out the world of SAO.

The assessment of this feeling like one off filler is pretty much on the money. Even if they are technically canon they were written later after he had finished the main SAO story and shoved in later to give fans more adventures with Kirito in SAO.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Attack on Titan manga
has become weirdly self-aware.
In what seems like forever, the latest chapter actually brought up the basement. One character goes "the basment? Is that important?" and another responds "uhh yeah". It's like the author himself was acknowledging "oh yeah, that's an important plot point I introduced"

Soulflarz

Banned
In what seems like forever, the latest chapter actually brought up the basement. One character goes "the basment? Is that important?" and another responds "uhh yeah". It's like the author himself was acknowledging "oh yeah, that's an important plot point I introduced"

Its kind of annoying at this point to be honest.

Grexeno

Dude knows exactly what he's doing.

daveo42

Banned

I'm just glad he's aware
of how shitty and useless Eren is to the story based on some of the recent Eren dialogue.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach really needs to end and get animated. This arc is going to be something else when put to screen.

Raxus

Bleach really needs to end and get animated. This arc is going to be something else when put to screen.

If by that you mean a trainwreck then I believe we have already seen that.

BLEACH MANGA TALK!
Though it would be glorious to see Aizen again.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If by that you mean a trainwreck then I believe we have already seen that.

BLEACH MANGA TALK!
Though it would be glorious to see Aizen again.

It single handily got me interested in the Bleach Manga for the first time...ever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If anyone actually does have HxH it's probably them or someone even more obscure. Funimation/Viz/Aniplex wouldn't have sat on it this long.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jojo is much closer to actually having a dub and the company that has them, well, dubs things.

I wonder if Fox Kids has the rights to HxH...

Moaradin

Parasyte has a really cool premise. You don't see that type of body horror in anime often. It gets pretty tense and it has enough action. The Toonami crowd would probably dig it.

Sentai getting the rights drastically lowers it's chances though.

Jarate

Banned
Found out that my library has a shit ton of manga, been reading Akira which is really nice.

Also the only true answer to the best show for Toonami is Ping Pong.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone actually does have HxH it's probably them or someone even more obscure. Funimation/Viz/Aniplex wouldn't have sat on it this long.

Not only would Viz sit on Hunter X Hunter this long, they've actually done exactly that with Hunter X Hunter before.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Your local library likely has a ton of manga, a decent amount of anime on DVD/Blu Ray and quite likely a decent video game library.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not only would Viz sit on Hunter X Hunter this long, they've actually done exactly that with Hunter X Hunter before.

THAT HxH DOESN'T EXIST, FRIEND.

It poisoned my mind with its awfulness so many years ago.

BRING
WITCH
HUNTER X
ROBIN
HUNTER
BACK
TO TOONAMI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom