• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

Why would we possibly want a new show at 3 am?

You're asking why do I want to see an anime that's been shown 4 times in one year compared to something I haven't seen before?

I... can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Did you sincerely expect Toonami to be getting a new premiere show then?

Yes that or cutting the time after Deadman was done.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair this will be the fourth time for the first what, six episodes? How many did Titan go at 11:30?

It's the initial airing, the marathon, the 11:30 rerun era, and now this.

Space Dandy actually has a similar track record for the first season and its first few episodes.

Personally I was hoping for a rerun of something that hasn't aired in awhile like Casshern
so I can have an excuse to watch it without making time for it

I'd also be cool with Bleach cause that's always dumb fun

Seda

Personally I was hoping for a rerun of something that hasn't aired in awhile like Casshern
so I can have an excuse to watch it without making time for it

I'd also be cool with Bleach cause that's always dumb fun

I doubt anybody wants to watch AoT again, but as mentioned they likely don't have the rights much longer (until May? that would be one year) so the decision is to have it fill space while it can.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gurren Lagann: March 21st
Deadman Wonderland: March 21st
Inuyasha: The Final Act: June 6th
Kill La Kill: July 25th
Sword Art Online II: September 5th
Attack On Titan: September 12th
Dragon Ball Z Kai: ~2018
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wonder if Final Act will be replaced by Sailor Moon. They already said they were looking into Crystal instead of the new dub of classic though.

Crocodile

A) Parasyte is the type of show that might do well on Toonami but like many shows that have ended up on the block recently, it isn't actually very good.

B) Where does one watch this Toonami Pre-Show? Are there archives?

All the girls that were voiced in Girls und Panzer will somehow have roles in Parasyte mwahahahahahahahaha.

*sigh* Dub is gonna suck, isn't it. Least some of the characters are SUPPOSE to sound bored or emotionless

Killme.gif

Attack on Titan is replacing Deadman Wonderland.

Colbert-kill-me.gif

Though I can understand why

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach's dub should forever prove that talent and dub quality are not always joined hand in hand.

There are awful on paper casts that turn out excellent performances too.

I doubt anybody wants to watch AoT again, but as mentioned they likely don't have the rights much longer (until May? that would be one year) so the decision is to have it fill space while it can.

Hmm seems weird for them to start airing something they will deliberately have to pull in 2-3 months, maybe if they start with the second half of the series.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sword Art Online episode 5

Seriously?

Okay, number one, if the murderer is after people because of the guild leader's death, wouldn't they be murdering the people who wanted her to sell the item (and therefore got her killed) instead of the people who didn't want her to sell the item? Like, what's the point of killing people who lost a vote? Nothing they wanted to happen happened.

Second, Kirito dismisses the idea that an item or ability allows for PKing in a safe zone because the game is fundamentally fair, when just last episode he went on and on about how MMOs are inherently unfair and that's how come the ambush couldn't beat him.

Third, I thought this was an action show. We gonna get any fights in here at any point?

As a matter of fact, it looks like people are almost 2/3 of the way through the floors, are we going to get back to the main plot of finishing the game so people don't have to die in this virtual world at some point? This stuff still feels like filler.

Fourth, the fanservice. This girl seems really distraught and broken up about her friend's death, so what we need to do is linger on this ass shot for a while, apparently. Like, there's not even anything "sexy" going on in the show, it's just like the camera work is being done by a perv for no reason.

I've gone on record as saying the fanservice in Kill la Kill is too much, but somehow this kinda feels more creepy even though it's way way WAY less extreme.

Moaradin

SAO has the most garbage fanservice ever. How am I supposed to take your story serious when you show me ass shots of characters giving me their sob stories. SAO2 has the worst example of this.

Kill la Kill actually knows what kind of show it wants to be, unlike SAO.

Htown

PS at this point I'd still rather watch SAO than Shippuden

for those keeping score

Sword Art Online episode 5

Seriously?

Okay, number one, if the murderer is after people because of the guild leader's death, wouldn't they be murdering the people who wanted her to sell the item (and therefore got her killed) instead of the people who didn't want her to sell the item? Like, what's the point of killing people who lost a vote? Nothing they wanted to happen happened.

Second, Kirito dismisses the idea that an item or ability allows for PKing in a safe zone because the game is fundamentally fair, when just last episode he went on and on about how MMOs are inherently unfair and that's how come the ambush couldn't beat him.

Third, I thought this was an action show. We gonna get any fights in here at any point?

As a matter of fact, it looks like people are almost 2/3 of the way through the floors, are we going to get back to the main plot of finishing the game so people don't have to die in this virtual world at some point? This stuff still feels like filler.

Fourth, the fanservice. This girl seems really distraught and broken up about her friend's death, so what we need to do is linger on this ass shot for a while, apparently. Like, there's not even anything "sexy" going on in the show, it's just like the camera work is being done by a perv for no reason.

I've gone on record as saying the fanservice in Kill la Kill is too much, but somehow this kinda feels more creepy even though it's way way WAY less extreme.

Dunno if you saw my post or not but your questions about this stuff being filler is explained here

There is a reason for that actually

The original shorty story/book covered the first two episodes, then skipped and covered the last few. Years down the line when he decided to write more content for SAO aka the second book he decided to do a bunch of side stories to fill the gap in the original book that he skipped to help fill out the world of SAO.

The assessment of this feeling like one off filler is pretty much on the money. Even if they are technically canon they were written later after he had finished the main SAO story and shoved in later to give fans more adventures with Kirito in SAO.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PS at this point I'd still rather watch SAO than Shippuden

for those keeping score

Holding out until Shikuden is going to be hard times, daddy.

OH SHIT! I forgot that I get to make Wall Cena jokes again! THE CHAMP IS HERE!

Htown

Dunno if you saw my post or not but your questions about this stuff being filler is explained here

oh okay cool

in that case it feels like the main story skips ahead too much

I mean they're on floor 57 or something out of 100. it took like a month to clear the first floor, but I guess after that everything was just trivial?

Raxus

SAO is bad but it is entertainingly bad. Shippuden at its worst is boringly bad. When you watch tons of B movies you quickly learn to tell the difference.

Speaking of boring how did Shippuden manage to make the 2nd Chunin exam filler and proceed to
make it so boring after the test. Jeez. Hype killed here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bleh, AoT replacing DMWL. Guess I'm going to bed after One Piece.

Also was tempted to rent that live-action Kite film when I was at Family Video, but passed on it. I'm still confused as to why it exists, especially by an American film direct. And the fact they got SAMUEL JACKSON to be in it. I don't even think it was shown at my theater.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAO is bad but it is entertainingly bad. Shippuden at its worst is boringly bad. When you watch tons of B movies you quickly learn to tell the difference.

Speaking of boring how did Shippuden manage to make the 2nd Chunin exam filler and proceed to
make it so boring after the test. Jeez. Hype killed here.

Considering how good most Shippuden filler is and that they've got an area where you could do something legitimately interesting it is very disappointing to hear they dropped the ball on it.

Moaradin

At least we got a pretty decent Taijutsu vs. Taijutsu fight in the filler. I'm just hoping they are saving their budget for when the show goes back to canon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
New plan for tonight as I'm still pretty messed up from this cold.

Take a shower. Grab something to eat. Start watching the 40 something episodes of One Piece needed to catch up. Should be able to finish those before my Crunchyroll trial is up.

Long term plans

Might get a month or two and watch all of RK/Cardcaptor/DRRR! dubbed while I play MH4U and Majora's Mask.

Also a friend lent me something...I should take advantage of. Before a certain show returns for its second season. In Gif Form.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
oh okay cool

in that case it feels like the main story skips ahead too much

I mean they're on floor 57 or something out of 100. it took like a month to clear the first floor, but I guess after that everything was just trivial?

You've already fastforwarded like two years in the timeline. SAO has random, fast, completely irrelevant and unheralded time skips out the ass particularly early on in the series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am really a big fan of all the Crunchyroll apps I've used.

Wii U has gigantic subtitles for some reason. Great considering my glasses are messed up and my new ones aren't ready yet. Had no problem with HxH.

Also they know their audience by not chopping off the openings/endings ala Netflix does when you binge watch a show. Just a five second timer between episodes.

Normally when I catch up on One Piece I just use the Hulu feed on onepieceofficial.com but since I got the trial anyways to finish off HxH I figure I might as well go commercial free.

Htown

SAO Episode 6

I honestly didn't think this was too bad

except the dumb ending where there is apparently a literal ghost in this video game? somehow?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I split my time between PS3 and Wii U. Wii U has great use of both screens but the interface isn't quite as smooth as PS3.

I guess I should watch Jojo as well. I could probably knock that out before the trial ends as well.

SAO Episode 6

I honestly didn't think this was too bad

except the dumb ending where there is apparently a literal ghost in this video game? somehow?

They're all pretty much ghosts...in the shell.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fun Man God Fact: I don't really like the ending to 2nd Gig...at all. I was however going to do a short review of ALL OF THE TACHIKOMATIC DAYS the week after it ended as to avoid possible spoilers. Nope.

I still plan on doing the rest of Naruto Uncut, just waiting for the right day. I might need to take some time off soon for a little back surgery and that would be perfect to start up something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom