• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
UIg2SSA.png

Jarate

Banned
I really should watch Bleach at some point. I have only seen the latter episodes. All I remember are the fans were really annoying, and usually hung out with the naruto fans all the time in high school.

Ive heard the first season is good.

bigkrev

There is a twitter account @animetcg which posts dumb pictures of licensed US anime card games. I never knew Inuyasha had a TCG, or that all the cards were fucking hilarious
CcBvgv6UYAA0aZ5.jpg

CcBlaxtUsAAtOuI.jpg

CcFSIumVAAAxzAZ.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man, I don't think Sailor Moon could've made girlier trading cards.

Nah, man, pretty sure guys watched it as well.

..........it was those mini-skirts. IT LURED THE TOONAMI DEMOGRAPHIC IN.

That's what got me hooked back when Sailor Moon first hit it big. Them legs!

Also serialized cartoons were not that common back in the day, plus the anime color palette I was always enthralled with and had sampled because my uncle had a comic book store that sold anime and had a lot of otakus come and go so I was introduced to tape trading early but in such small samples.

Also, another issue with SAO is that it is way more hyped and way more "loved" by people then Naruto, AGK, or Beware the Batman was. Naruto fans are accepting of the fact that the show kind of blows most of the time. SAO is an anime that a surprising amount of people not only like, but absolutely love. Hell, my sister said she enjoyed the show.

I have routinely seen some of the weirdest fucking arguments to defend SAO.

Some dude actually tried to say I was victim blaming when I criticized the writing decision to have Sinon unable to escape from that rapist guy without Kirito's help.

Another one swore up and down that the loli girl was never depicted in a fanservicey way and that the dead girl from the beginning of the show sleeping in the same bed as Kirito was supposed to just be taken as a sign of friendship.

Like, I don't give a shit if anyone likes SAO, but when you have to tie yourself into knots to defend parts of it, it's like come on now.

bigkrev

There was a Yu Yu Hakusho tcg, and a Zatch Bell tcg

the craziest one of all was that there was a Yu Gi Oh tcg

I played the YYH one pretty hardcore. Played in a regional they held at a Wizard World event even.

Game kinda died among my playgroup when the 3rd set, Gateway, shipped with a unknown percentage of boxes (something like 20%) with ZERO RARES in packs. You could still get SRs, URs, ect, but there were no rares in any packs in these boxes (and YYH had 2 rares per pack). Game also had a brutal power creed, where basically every character card was obsoleted every set.

Also, apparently there were members of the development team/OP team that were stealing OP money or something, which was also really cool. It's odd how hard it is to find much info on the game these days, because it existed in the internet age and I totally remember reading articles/tournament reports back in the day

bigkrev

Card to describe my sex life (I got rid of my collection, but kept 9 copies of this card in my magic trade binder because the name combined with the art was fucking hilarious

Jarate

Banned
I had a nasty ass DBZ Card Game deck but literally had no one to play with

it was a Majin Dabura deck that could also run Pikkon if I needed a 5 transformation character.

DBZ trading card was a really good card game, but it was really difficult to understand how to play it.

There's 2 card games ive been wanting to play with others, DBZ is one, and that old baseball card game always looked fucking fun as hell

bigkrev

I had a nasty ass DBZ Card Game deck but literally had no one to play with

it was a Majin Dabura deck that could also run Pikkon if I needed a 5 transformation character.

DBZ trading card was a really good card game, but it was really difficult to understand how to play it.

There's 2 card games ive been wanting to play with others, DBZ is one, and that old baseball card game always looked fucking fun as hell

MLB Showdown? I think they made a huge mistake designing that game as a D20 game. There is a decent chance it could have taken off with young kids back in the day, but a D20 was the ultimate nerd symbol that would drive you away back then.
For DBZ, there was a GBA version of the game that was really poorly designed (ie, Goku was an Anger deck, but it only had up to a lvl 3 Goku so it could never actually win via Anger vs most of the other decks in the game)

Jarate

Banned
MLB Showdown? I think they made a huge mistake designing that game as a D20 game. There is a decent chance it could have taken off with young kids back in the day, but a D20 was the ultimate nerd symbol that would drive you away back then.
For DBZ, there was a GBA version of the game that was really poorly designed (ie, Goku was an Anger deck, but it only had up to a lvl 3 Goku so it could never actually win via Anger vs most of the other decks in the game)

Yeah, the DBZ gba game was shit, but it did teach me how to play the game.

Regiruler

My friend also really likes it a lot, but he was in a really bad spot with a gf breaking up with him and he needed to self insert himself into a harem.

Also, he only really liked the first season. He didn't even watch the call of duty arc

Honestly, there are worse shows then SAO and worse shows have aired on Toonami. Nothing in Naruto that I've seen has been good enough for me to warrant thinking thats better. Nothing in Akame Ga Kill made me think it was better then SAO. Hell, Beware the Batman somehow was worse.

Original series of naruto already makes it better.
There was a Yu Yu Hakusho tcg, and a Zatch Bell tcg

the craziest one of all was that there was a Yu Gi Oh tcg

Eventually instead of making their own games, some animes just became Weiss Shwarz expansions. IDK how that even works.

Zatch Bell was cool.

Was it? I never really watched it. I remember thinking it was like Pokemon, only with small children.

....Actually that sounds kind of awesome.

Other shows you haven't heard about in a while

Danny Phantom

I was actually reminded of Danny Phantom recently. Ran into an old fan who can't quite accept the fact that it's over...

"It could get kickstarted again!"

You're right on the rest though.

bigkrev

Zatch Bell game had a cool mechanic where instead of a deck, you had a tiny "spell book" binder that held 30 cards, 1 per page, that was used as your deck. Different game actions would have you turn X pages and have access to different cards. Never played the game, but the idea of a TCG not using a randomized deck was really cool to me

Regiruler

Zatch Bell game had a cool mechanic where instead of a deck, you had a tiny "spell book" binder that held 30 cards, 1 per page, that was used as your deck. Different game actions would have you turn X pages and have access to different cards. Never played the game, but the idea of a TCG not using a randomized deck was really cool to me

That's fascinating. Would you have a hand?

Line_HTX

I'm assuming Seda is familiar with Oreimo at least?

The thing I found over the years is that Inuyasha was most popular with the girls. Even those who don't regularly watch anime would tell me they watched Inuyasha seriously.

Shes my big sister though

Long live big sisters, whoo.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Was it? I never really watched it. I remember thinking it was like Pokemon, only with small children.

....Actually that sounds kind of awesome.

I read through the manga a few years ago and I have to admit that it was far better than it should have been. The fights were more clever than power level match ups, one guy in particular had shit powers but with creative use somehow kept managing to win, and there were some decent character arcs.

Seda

B-Dubs. Black Lagoon OVA question:

(I'll tag it just in case)

Is Balalaika's backstory about her time in Afghanistan more fleshed out in the manga? It felt ... jarring .... in the 4th OVA episode, and was wondering if there was more to it than that. I think I recall you or another mentioning it some time back but I might be misremembering. Note I have not seen the 5th OVA episode yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
B-Dubs. Black Lagoon OVA question:

(I'll tag it just in case)

Is Balalaika's backstory about her time in Afghanistan more fleshed out in the manga? It felt ... jarring .... in the 4th OVA episode, and was wondering if there was more to it than that. I think I recall you or another mentioning it some time back but I might be misremembering. Note I have not seen the 5th OVA episode yet.

You mean the thing in OVA 4? That's pretty much how it happens in the manga.

how about sisters who act like normal sisters

Who would watch that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom