• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

One time ladt year I could see the hammer right above me and backtracked and pleaded so hard with Bish.

I wonder if it's on my record.

Crocodile

could you imagine that, like

f3fcf.png

I thought this was real for a second and I got kind of pissed

Yikes, which thread?

Look at his post history. It's not hard to figure out :p

ckohler

Sure, but do you say "karaoke" correctly? Or do you say "carry-okie?"

Fair enough. I do say "carry-okie". I got used to saying it that way before I learned the actual pronunciation. Likewise, when a Japanese speaker says "Kurisutofā", not only are they altering the actual sounds (changing the end from "er" to "ah") but they are introducing another syllable.

Maybe the problem is more translation and not actual speaking ability. Did those Japanese students ever learn to pronounce "McDonalds" correctly ("Mac-don-ulds") or was it simply beyond their ability to say those phonemes?

Seda

Anyone watching pre-flight?

They review platformer video games. Tomorrow's 'goodie' is a Naruto Storm 4 review, like AssaultXMaster mentioned. While Adult Swim's website doesn't go 'live' with the video until 6:30 EDT, Assault has shown in the past he knows his ways around the backend of the website to find videos like this ahead of time.

The review, btw, shows stuff ahead of the airing of course. Actually several things we'll see in the next set of canon like
Sasuke's squad and young Kakashi/Obito

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Speaking of video games based on Toonami shows

SAO Re:Hollow Fragment is once again $5 on PSN via flash sale.

HMMM, THAT OR $2 MONSTER MONPIECE???

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Another Escaflowne dub announcement.

Hitomi is played by Caitlin Glass, aka Winry from FMA & Haruhi from Ouran Host Club.

hmmmmmmm_by_wizyakuza-d9podvd.jpg

AAAAAANNNNNNNIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE

Ignore the Fairy Tail guy in there

Also OPM for Toonami!

Kirito has no right to even be there. Unless he somehow found a way to transfer his digital gaming skills into his real body to make him superpowered. lol

Natsu, Ryuko, and Mikasa.......meh.

Saitama is the only one needed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Back from a comic convention. Got a bunch of amiibo I was missing. Also got Skies of Arcadia Legends for a (somewhat) decent price, and a One Piece DVD I've been missing (still need to catch up on Season 7, Season 8 is in May)

So the current Fairy Tail anime may be ending.

Try to hold back your tears friends.

I am actually a bit sad considering it'll end on my Birthday.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

For real this time or is it another break?
It's weird since there's times where Mashima will release like 8 chapters in a month. His pacing isn't shit like Kubo either.

For real this time or is it another break?
It's weird since there's times where Mashima will release like 8 chapters in a month. His pacing isn't shit like Kubo either.

It'll probably just be another break. There is actually a movie that's supposed to be in development, but we haven't seen any news of it in a while.

Basically the anime got to a good stopping point, and anime studio would have to either produce an odd amount of episodes to get to another, or stretch the next arc out with filler.

It's probably for the best.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough. I do say "carry-okie". I got used to saying it that way before I learned the actual pronunciation. Likewise, when a Japanese speaker says "Kurisutofā", not only are they altering the actual sounds (changing the end from "er" to "ah") but they are introducing another syllable.

Maybe the problem is more translation and not actual speaking ability. Did those Japanese students ever learn to pronounce "McDonalds" correctly ("Mac-don-ulds") or was it simply beyond their ability to say those phonemes?
Other way around. These were Americans being taught how to say Makudonarudo "correctly."

To answer the broader question, though, humans are born being able to understand and form every possible phoneme that people can use to formulate speech, but they quickly learn to specialize in the phonemes of the local language around them. Brain plasticity decreases the older and older people get, and the more and more stuck you become with a limited set of phonemes at your disposal (unless you really really work at it). Japanese in particular has a very limited set of sounds and sound combinations that are possible, and it completely lacks several English consonants, like L, Q, and V, and it only has context-specific use of consonants like F or H. It's like trying to paint with a very limited palette. It's literally physically difficult for a Japanese person who wasn't immersed in the English language from a very early age to be able to form the proper sounds with their mouth to articulate the language in the way an American would. The word "parallel" is practically the stuff of nightmares.

English, on the other hand, is a pretty damn flexible language, and aside perhaps from the rolled R there's really nothing in the phonetics of the Japanese language that falls too far away from the kinds of sounds that are already used in English. Japanese's pronunciation rules are also quite uniform and not at all subject to the kind of random bullshit that English is. "A" is always going to be pronounced "a" in the exact same way every time you see it. It's not going to be pronounced one way in "father" and a different way in "plane" and yet another way in "cat." That makes it a lot more straightforward to pick up its easily compartmentalized syllabic nature. If you know how the vowels sound and understand the basics of how inflection works, you can say literally every single Japanese word in existence correctly just from being shown it written in text, even if you've never heard it before.

Instead, imagine a similar situation with a different language. I bet you would have a damn hard time saying a whole lot in Xhosa, a language with numerous phonemes that come nowhere close to English. Fuck, you'd probably have a hard time saying the WORD Xhosa (that X is a click, by the way). That's because you'd have to literally train your mouth and tongue to do things it's never done before. It's not impossible, but it's a lot of work. That's a better analogue for how Japanese speakers would approach trying to accurately pronounce English rather than English speakers trying to pronounce Japanese.

Kind of weird that they're starting an arc and then ending things, but then again, the first anime did end in the middle of an arc too. I guess that they're teasing
Gray supposedly turning evil
at the very end, unless that already happened in the new episode, I haven't seen it yet.

EDIT: Started the episode. The fact that the opening is entirely episode clips is definitely a sign it's taking a break.

Catching up on toonami, I'm behind a week. I still don't understand what the hell was going on in that scene with the Government Agent at the high school in Parasyte, I rewatched it twice and don't get what the scene was about, its like Sentai cobbled words together to make it sound coherent.

What a loserrrrrr.

94965636f3af671db8296175eea9d124.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom