• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
While I can agree that FLCL didn't need more episodes, I'm not going to lie - I won't say no to more.

And if they miss the mark, it's not like the original episodes weren't self-contained and the rest can be easily ignored.
This is how I feel. I'm excited, but I also feel like "what would they do after the events of the original?" where I'm eagerly waiting the new episodes, but cautious as well.

At the very least, they're keeping it short with only 6 episodes per season. Glad they're sticking to that format instead of waiting for a full 13 or 24-26 episode run.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Toss me into the pile of having zero faith in going back to the FLCL well 15 years later when everybody who had anything to do with the original has long since moved on.

Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.

Really iffy about this. For one thing, a big part of the appeal was in the animation, and there's no way it's going to look the same. Secondly, the original ended at a good place, but there is the counterargument that one could just ignore this if it turns out badly. I'm also worried that the craziness will be toned down and it will be too slow, like most made-for-Westerners anime. EDIT: Oh, and the music! There's definitely a large chance they won't be able to match the old soundtrack.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I assume flcl s2 and s3 will be self containted stories with new characters
It'll be the kid of Naota & *insert your favorite FLCL female here*, who goes through similar ordeals that Naota did, because we liked the original.

Haruko will either be the exact same age because magic or it'll be HER kid who will be THE CHILD OF THE PIRATE KING, CAPTAIN PUZZLE ATOMSK.

Edit: Actually, what are the chances they might take some stuff from the manga, considering how different that was, especially its ending?

Considering the post on Toonami's FB has only Haruko in it, perhaps we'll see what happened after she left? I mean, she's still searching for Atmosk, right?

Of course, maybe she really did come back to Earth...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Predictions:

- Episode about Naota's brother & his American adventures, or a backstory of his life before leaving for America
- Where all of Naota's classmates are now
- A more focused Canti or whoever the new robot will be episode.
- No silly manga scenes which were awesome & hilarious cuz they were a lot of hard work
- What happened to Haruko after she went back into space (hell, watch this be the first episode or her returning to Earth)
- "UGH THIS IS NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL, THESE NEW EPISODES SUCK"
- "UGH THIS DOESN'T CAPTURE THE SPIRIT OF THE ORIGINAL, THESE NEW EPISODES SUCK"
- "UGH THIS IS TOO DIFFERENT FROM THE ORIGINAL, THESE NEW EPISODES SUCK"
- "UGH ALL THE ROBOTS ARE CGI, THESE NEW EPISODES SUCK"

Mizerman

FLCL...getting more episodes? Really? Seriously?

fry_drooling.gif

What if they just make Ninamori the main character?

EDIT: Reading the ANN link for the story, I'm reminded that Production I.G got the rights to FLCL and planned to do something with them. I guess if they were gung-ho about doing more FLCL, it's not a bad thing it ended up involving people who would respect what FLCL is.

As I said in the announcement thread, I love FLCL a lot but I already accepted when I first saw it aired on adult swim that it was more than enough. Anything more would probably sour the experience.

So yeah I'm excited but also indifferent.

Back for the new season is FLCL series creator Kazuya Tsurumaki, serving as supervisor with director Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass) and character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Also joining this season is writer Hideto Iwai (Last Dinner).

“FLCL has become an anime classic over the years, yet it has remained vibrant,” said Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, co-founder, president and CEO of Production I.G. “This new season will capture the hearts of both longtime FLCL fans from around the world and new anime viewers.”

In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth?
What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota?
And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?

All of these questions and more will be answered in the new season of the series, which is set to premiere in late 2017/early 2018 on Adult Swim.

Nah. No thanks.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So my "person who goes through similar ordeals that Naota did, because we liked the original" prediction was actually sort of truth, or at least more likely.

Edit: holy crap, late 2017?! That's quite the wait....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now make a second season of Inferno Cop & make a dub of the first one, it's a perfect fit for Adult Swim. Hell, keep the whole "only one person doing the voices" gag.

ckohler

Considering it's set "many years later", if any of the previous kids show up they might be adults by now. This would be consistent with what happened to Commander Amarao.

Crocodile

I am totally willing to give this a chance, but I don't see the point.

You know damn well the point

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Really iffy about this. For one thing, a big part of the appeal was in the animation, and there's no way it's going to look the same. Secondly, the original ended at a good place, but there is the counterargument that one could just ignore this if it turns out badly. I'm also worried that the craziness will be toned down and it will be too slow, like most made-for-Westerners anime. EDIT: Oh, and the music! There's definitely a large chance they won't be able to match the old soundtrack.

I'll quote myself from the other thread:

A) Why is the animation a concern? Even if they get none of the original team back, there aren't a shortage of good animators in Japan. Just give them enough money and, especially, time and they will do good work. There's almost no way this doesn't end up looking like sex on screen.

B) As far as I know, The Pillows is still an active band. Even if they aren't/can't record live/new music, its not like they don't have a deep backlog to pull from. Granted, we have to actually hear they are back before we can say anything but its not like they can't reasonably match the music

C)The last point is potentially a concern but I feel they would have to strongly misunderstand what people liked about the original. Its more likely in my opinion that they turn up the crazy TOO HIGH and the show becomes a mess/acid trip/etc.

So my "person who goes through similar ordeals that Naota did, because we liked the original" prediction was actually sort of truth, or at least more likely.

Edit: holy crap, late 2017?! That's quite the wait....

2Tx9xG0.gif

He's fund bleach final arc before he funded kenshin final arc

I was going to say

if Adult Swim is going to fund stuff like this then surely they'd fund a final season of Bleach.

Sad but true

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I'd imagine they'll all be in high school, college, or working class adults.

Watch as Naota's two friends are still driving that exact same truck.....& SMOOOOOOCH kid still can't get a girl.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when Demarco used to get all huffy about nostalgia peddlers and how Toonami was always about the fresh cutting edge?

And yet here we are with a Toonami still just coming off the heels of a sequel event to a miniseries gimmick from the year 2000 with a block anchored by Dragonball Z (in 2016!), 7 year old episodes of Naruto, 9 year old episodes of One Piece, and a resurrected Adult Swim favorite in Samurai Champloo, and its major plans for the future include Samurai Jack and FLCL.

I'm just sayin'...

copy/paste from the Anime OT

I'll never understand the mindset of wanting a continuation to a clearly finished work. I mean I understand it from the cynical production point of view which is basically "The Quest for More Money" but from the point of view of a fan? Nah, I'm good. People will say the same stuff as always about the "benefit of the doubt" or how it could be good or how the original series will all exist but that just sounds to me like they've bought into the the production mindset. I have no desire to revisit any of the characters. FLCL is a self contained thing, not a brand. Even if it wasn't a direct continuation I would still feel iffy about it but actually going so far as to make more? That's just a cynical banking on the name itself and what people liked about the original series and it makes me cynical. That'd be like...making a sequel to End of Evangelion (lol). To me it just reeks of Pyramid Head being in Silent Hill Homecoming (thank you for the example Xander Cage.) It doesn't make any sense. It is clearly a move meant to attach a well known part of something in a misguided attempt to bring back faith.

Fuck. That's my rant. Now I know how Nintendoman feels about Rebellion. Maybe I AM jumping the gun but its hard to feel anything but befuddlement and confusion at this point in time. I'm not usually this downtrodden when it comes to anime, this is more like me and video games because I am way more attached to games, and FLCL is at least up there with 'em for me. I'm not going to completely sweep it under the rug now but as it stands FLCL S2/S3 are slightly above the new Berserk anime because at least this could have some merit.

Remember when Demarco used to get all huffy about nostalgia peddlers and how Toonami was always about the fresh cutting edge?

And yet here we are with a Toonami still just coming off the heels of a sequel event to a miniseries gimmick from the year 2000 with a block anchored by Dragonball Z (in 2016!), 7 year old episodes of Naruto, 9 year old episodes of One Piece, and a resurrected Adult Swim favorite in Samurai Champloo, and its major plans for the future include Samurai Jack and FLCL.

I'm just sayin'...

Everyone's a hypocrite. Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom