• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Remember when Demarco used to get all huffy about nostalgia peddlers and how Toonami was always about the fresh cutting edge?

And yet here we are with a Toonami still just coming off the heels of a sequel event to a miniseries gimmick from the year 2000 with a block anchored by Dragonball Z (in 2016!), 7 year old episodes of Naruto, 9 year old episodes of One Piece, and a resurrected Adult Swim favorite in Samurai Champloo, and its major plans for the future include Samurai Jack and FLCL.

I'm just sayin'...

I remember but at least new stuff like Dimension W are getting pushed as well.

Remember when Demarco used to get all huffy about nostalgia peddlers and how Toonami was always about the fresh cutting edge?

And yet here we are with a Toonami still just coming off the heels of a sequel event to a miniseries gimmick from the year 2000 with a block anchored by Dragonball Z (in 2016!), 7 year old episodes of Naruto, 9 year old episodes of One Piece, and a resurrected Adult Swim favorite in Samurai Champloo, and its major plans for the future include Samurai Jack and FLCL.

I'm just sayin'...

Considering AS has aired Parasyte, SAO 2, Dimension W, and AgK in the past year less then a year after it aired on Toonami I feel they've done a great balance of old and new

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I got to imagine that a second #Toonami original series is something they are eventually aiming for at this point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
copy/paste from the Anime OT
Even if I'm excited for this, I can fully understand the mentality of "the story was completed/finished, what's left to tell?" that people are expressing.

At the very least, this was an idea that's been kicking around for quite some time, so maybe they're using some of the ideas from way back when they wanted, but I can see why people are still skeptical of this happening so many years after the sequel.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Considering AS has aired Parasyte, SAO 2, Dimension W, and AgK in the past year less then a year after it aired on Toonami I feel they've done a great balance of old and new

Sure, it's just interesting to watch the story change when the $ signs start showing up.

Sure, it's just interesting to watch the story change when the $ signs start showing up.

How has the story really changed? They've always had a balance of old and new ever since Toonami came back. And I'm not sure if you can count Shippuden or OP as old since neither has ever aired on US TV at the points we're watching. Outside of DBZ Kai (which is technically new for the block) and Champloo 4 of the premier slots are for 100% new on Toonami shows. It's not like Shippuden and One Piece aren't still currently airing in Japan

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The biggest concern is what replaces Dragon Ball Z Kai if the Buu Arc is not in the cards. I know it is probably coming but with Toei being so odd about Dragon Ball these days I can't count on it. Basically what I am getting at is should DBZ Kai end this year, I would say the viable candidates are Hunter X Hunter or Fairy Tail.

Grexeno

The biggest concern is what replaces Dragon Ball Z Kai if the Buu Arc is not in the cards. I know it is probably coming but with Toei being so odd about Dragon Ball these days I can't count on it. Basically what I am getting at is should DBZ Kai end this year, I would say the viable candidates are Hunter X Hunter or Fairy Tail.
They'll start rerunning Kai in the leadoff spot.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How has the story really changed? They've always had a balance of old and new ever since Toonami came back. And I'm not sure if you can count Shippuden or OP as old since neither has ever aired on US TV at the points we're watching. Outside of DBZ Kai (which is technically new for the block) and Champloo 4 of the premier slots are for 100% new on Toonami shows. It's not like Shippuden and One Piece aren't still currently airing in Japan

I can count Naruto because most of his rants about nostalgia and how they wouldn't do that were specifically in response to questions about why they wouldn't show Naruto Shippuden.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rerun the whole Kai saga again. DBZ makes solid ratings so they have that to fall back on.

Grexeno

Okay, they could have done this with Bleach as well and they did not. The fact of the matter is you gotta get behind the new show at some point.
They didn't do it with Bleach because they could get DBZ. And they started to reair what they could of Bleach.

BBboy20

I don't know what were the motivations and influences that led to the decisions in crafting Fooly Cooly. I don't know if it was an precise production or a bunch of animators going with whatever flow they had in making it. What I know for sure that it was made by the right people at the right time; stars-aligning if you will. It was really more of an experience then your typical fiction.

I'm not really sure this can be recreated, let alone willingly or strategically.

To think, 13 years ago-me would've been super excited about this news. More FLCL, more Ninamori!

Jeez man, still can't help but feeling indifferent.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
They didn't do it with Bleach because they could get DBZ. And they started to reair what they could of Bleach.

Oh I am not precluding the idea that DBZ Kai moves to say 3 AM like Bleach did, I just have my severe doubts that it will hold steadfast at midnight.

I don't know what were the motivations and influences that led to the decisions in crafting Fooly Cooly. I don't know if it was an precise production or a bunch of animators going with whatever flow they had in making it. What I know for sure that it was made by the right people at the right time; stars-aligning if you will. It was really more of an experience then your typical fiction.

I'm not really sure this can be recreated, let alone willingly or strategically.

Think of it kind of like Chrono Trigger - a real planetary alignment of staff that meshed together perfectly.

Raxus

Hey guys what's going on in he....

giphy.gif

I am optimistic. Worst case scenario we will always have the OG series to fall back on.

Moaradin

Just saw the news. Fucking WHAT!

On one hand, this is some pretty crazy news and big for Toonami. On the other, FLCL does not need sequels...

Are The Pillows still around?

I read the manga adaption for FLCL. Closest I gotten to watching the series.

And basically the most I have to say about FLCL S2 and S3 being a thing now.

I'm now expecting to watch it when Toonami eventually airs FLCL S1 to hype up the new stuff. The manga is basically a blurr to me now so I'll essentially going in blind if/when I do get to it.

I wasn't around for it, but I know they already showed S1 a lot of times. I guess it would make sense to air S1 beforehand to hype everyone up for S2 and 3.

Holy shit this is crazy news. Never in a million years would I have thought this'd happen...buuuuuuuuut I have doubts. The original FLCL was like lightning in a bottle. To replicate such greatness would be quite hard. Ill just have to wait and see.

ckohler

I agree about the 'lighting in a bottle'. Here's hoping this crew can replicate the feel of the original.

All we know so far is that the plan is to bring back the original voice cast, The Pillows, the same director (as an advisor) and one of the co-founders of Gainax. To me, the biggest missing piece is Imaishi as animation director. Without him, I worry about how this will look and if the animation will be on the same level.

This is surely the big news Demarco has been hinting at for a while now right? I wonder how long this has been in the works.

Go back though the archives of when DeMarco mentioned they had planned to do a second season of FLCL back in the day on Pre-Flight. Sometime after that episode aired and now is when the talks started. Hell I wonder if that comment on pre-flight actually got the ball rerolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom