• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

One Piece 1-18:

• Hearing the opening/ending dubbed sounds weird.
  • These early villains are way more evil than I expected.
  • Early Nami is kinda ruthless herself.
  • Zoro is... pretty much the the same.
  • Poor Seymour, I mean, Chouchou.
  • Buggy was humorous but annoying.. and weak compared to Kuro.
  • Yeah, the butler did it.
  • Jongo is basically Jacko, right?
  • Wait.. Merry is a person? A sheep person?!
  • Wow. Usopp is the greatest. His origin story was nice and I appreciate him so much more now.
  • How is Gaimon not filler!?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
One Piece 1-18:

• Hearing the opening/ending dubbed sounds weird.
  • These early villains are way more evil than I expected.
  • Early Nami is kinda ruthless herself.
  • Zoro is... pretty much the the same.
  • Poor Seymour, I mean, Chouchou.
  • Buggy was humorous but annoying.. and weak compared to Kuro.
  • Yeah, the butler did it.
  • Jongo is basically Jacko, right?
  • Wait.. Merry is a person? A sheep person?!
  • Wow. Usopp is the greatest. His origin story was nice and I appreciate him so much more now.
  • How is Gaimon not filler!?

Yeah, Merry was the guy who designed the Going Merry.

Raxus

Yeah Usopp was regulated to a joke character during 4kids which is a shame since he gets loads of development and has recently become my favorite straw hat.

I started watching One Piece on Toonami around episode 280 or so and then went ahead and watched everything after. Only just started at the beginning to see what all I missed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, there are a bunch of tiny details called back to hundreds of episodes later. Skypia is really notorious for this.

Hell, Skypia manages to be relevant to discussion on the current chapters. It's kinda funny because everyone thought it was filler and hated it until they realized all the shit it managed to set up in the series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I so hope Sentai doesn't try to dub Shokugeki no Soma. I haven't heard anything of a dub & the first season is suppose to be coming out in April.

Thought about bringing it up in the One Piece thread but it's already been mentioned here. Just finished the first 8 episodes of One Piece. It seems so much for violent to me but maybe it's just because of the lack of crazy devil fruit powers. One Piece does a ton of foreshadowing really well but (next Toonami One Piece arc spoiler)
was that ship really suppose to be Gold Rogers?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like this could be applied to a Toonami show.....

Cem0FqhW8AE-qxd.jpg:small

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thought about bringing it up in the One Piece thread but it's already been mentioned here. Just finished the first 8 episodes of One Piece. It seems so much for violent to me but maybe it's just because of the lack of crazy devil fruit powers. One Piece does a ton of foreshadowing really well but (next Toonami One Piece arc spoiler)
was that ship really suppose to be Gold Rogers?

Are you talking about the one Shanks and Buggy were on in that flashback? If so,
yes. Also note that Silvers Rayleigh is in that episode. Seriously, go back and check. His beard is slightly different from what ultimately becomes his final design years down the road (the manga version of this scene looked a bit closer to his final design), but that's him.

Pretty sure that has to be the widest gap between a character's first on-screen lines of dialogue and their actual proper introduction in the entire series.

Seda

Hell, Skypia manages to be relevant to discussion on the current chapters. It's kinda funny because everyone thought it was filler and hated it until they realized all the shit it managed to set up in the series.

How much of that was Oda reaching backwards to find things to tie to, in response to criticism :p

Raxus

How much of that was Oda reaching backwards to find things to tie to, in response to criticism :p

LOL, probably 0 in all honesty. Oda has a habit of introducing elements at various points in the arcs to expand the universe starting with the first episodes. It's part of the reason One Piece has ran as long as it has. Oda had a structured plan for the series and keeps adding to it. Heck we heard of the Wano kingdom waaaay back when they were in the East Blue and it is now (skimming SPOILERS NO! of course) building up to be a MASSIVE arc in the manga thanks to tiny things Oda has introduced here and there.

Man it feels weird that the One Piece end game is in sight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Not much. In retrospect, it was loaded with stuff that either was obviously going to be important later or was ripe with unexplored possibilities.

Eh, I guess I'll spoiler mark all this stuff, even though this stuff all happened 150-200 episodes ago compared to Toonami.

Examples:
-Sanji revealing his birth place as actually being North Blue, not East Blue
-Montblanc Noland's expeditions 400 years ago
-More poneglyph stuff
-Blackbeard's introduction
-Mariejois, Donquixote Doflamingo, Bartholomew Kuma, Sengoku, Tsuru, and Bellamy all being introduced
-Enel and Aisa's "Mantra" ability
-Dials
-Wavers (by the way, Franky's remodel of Nami's waver from Skypiea was in this week's Toonami episode)
-Different varieties of Sky Islanders (Enel is from Bilka, not Skypiea)
-Roger's ability to hear the "Voice of All Things" and write in poneglyph script

Just to name a few.

Enel's cover story shortly after Skypiea also seems like it's going to become extremely relevant somewhere down the road.

Seda

Not much. In retrospect, it was loaded with stuff that either was obviously going to be important later or was ripe with unexplored possibilities.

Eh, I guess I'll spoiler mark all this stuff, even though this stuff all happened 150-200 episodes ago compared to Toonami.

Examples:
-Sanji revealing his birth place as actually being North Blue, not East Blue
-Montblanc Noland's expeditions 400 years ago
-More poneglyph stuff
-Blackbeard's introduction
-Mariejois, Donquixote Doflamingo, Bartholomew Kuma, Sengoku, Tsuru, and Bellamy all being introduced
-Enel and Aisa's "Mantra" ability
-Dials
-Wavers (by the way, Franky's remodel of Nami's waver from Skypiea was in this week's Toonami episode)
-Different varieties of Sky Islanders (Enel is from Bilka, not Skypiea)
-Roger's ability to hear the "Voice of All Things" and write in poneglyph script

Just to name a few.

Enel's cover story shortly after Skypiea also seems like it's going to become extremely relevant somewhere down the road.

I wasn't being 100% serious, in any case it's clear Oda's methods of long-term narrative construction work quite well. I assume it's a mix of foreshadowed elements he absolutely knows what he planned to do with, among things he maybe did not but managed to fit it together believably anyway (which takes a good storyteller to do).

But yeah, that one episode right before Davy Back Fight (I think) was obviously Important with the characters it introduced.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wasn't being 100% serious, in any case it's clear Oda's methods of long-term narrative construction work quite well. I assume it's a mix of foreshadowed elements he absolutely knows what he planned to do with, among things he maybe did not but managed to fit it together believably anyway (which takes a good storyteller to do).

But yeah, that one episode right before Davy Back Fight (I think) was obviously Important with the characters it introduced.
I didn't follow the anime or Manga back then, but I would love to see reactions to that chapter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The episode right before the Ice Bounty Hunters arc is the single most important episode of the series, and the narrator voice even said as much as it was airing.

Seda

cutting up some banner images for the April OT and Brook's height makes fitting him into one a bit tricky :/

edit: Also in looking up Samurai Champloo, there are quite number of amusing images I assume are from an upcoming episode.

Regiruler

Seeing someone else with my exact same avatar is throwing me off maaaaaan

You're older and have a higher ppd, you clearly outrank him.

Force him to remove the avatar or suffer the consequences.

EDIT: Yet another Federation Force thread in gaming side (although this one has a concerning impression in it), dueling network got C&D'd just as I got a good enough score to become an administrator, and my pickup driver from the airport is taking his sweet time.
Definitely a bad way to start out the week. Playing Gunstar Heroes should have helped but honestly the end bit of the game kinda sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom