• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Funimation pitching Dimension W to Toonami shows that they still are gonna rely on TV for exposure for the bigger stuff (or at least the stuff they're most invested in), so hopefully that bodes well for My Hero Academia

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just says "simulcast", not sure if that means the dub will be hitting a few weeks afterwards, though that could be the case?

Though..."Funimation has secured the exclusive international rights to home entertainment, video on demand, merchandise, and broadcast distribution of the series as part of its agreement with Toho Co. Ltd. " BROADCAST DISTRIBUTION!??!

Seda

Code:
DRAGON BALL Z KAI ADSM 12:00 AM [B]1,442[/B] 0.7
DIMENSION W ADSM 12:30 AM [B]1,172[/B] 0.6
PARASYTE ADSM 1:00 AM [B]1,000[/B] 0.5
SAMURAI CHAMPLOO ADSM 1:30 AM [B]932[/B] 0.4
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN ADSM 2:00 AM [B]879[/B] 0.4
ONE PIECE ADSM 2:30 AM [B]792[/B] 0.4
KILL LA KILL ADSM 3:00 AM [B]726[/B] 0.3

(Do the columns line up correctly for you guys?)

edit: forget that I guess. Tabbing in GAF's editor is a little weird.

Jarate

Banned
Code:
DRAGON BALL Z KAI		ADSM	12:00 AM	[B]1,442[/B]	0.7
DIMENSION W				ADSM 	12:30 AM 	[B]1,172[/B] 	0.6
PARASYTE					ADSM 	1:00 AM 	[B]1,000[/B] 	0.5
SAMURAI CHAMPLOO		ADSM	1:30 AM	[B]932[/B]		0.4
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN 		ADSM 	2:00 AM 	[B]879[/B] 		0.4
ONE PIECE 					ADSM 	2:30 AM 	[B]792[/B] 		0.4
KILL LA KILL 				ADSM 	3:00 AM 	[B]726[/B] 		0.3

nope

Code:
DRAGON BALL Z KAI		ADSM	12:00 AM	[B]1,442[/B]	0.7
DIMENSION W				ADSM 	12:30 AM 	[B]1,172[/B] 	0.6
PARASYTE					ADSM 	1:00 AM 	[B]1,000[/B] 	0.5
SAMURAI CHAMPLOO		ADSM	1:30 AM	[B]932[/B]		0.4
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN 		ADSM 	2:00 AM 	[B]879[/B] 	0.4
ONE PIECE 					ADSM 	2:30 AM 	[B]792[/B] 	0.4
KILL LA KILL 				ADSM 	3:00 AM 	[B]726[/B] 	0.3

Not on my iphone 6s

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Being W's replacement seems more plausable since Funimation hasn't said anything about the dub yet, just the fact they got the rights for the sub.

Plus simuldubs tend to happen, what, a month to 6 weeks after the show starts airing in Japan? The fact we got Dimension W 6 episodes in would match with MHA since when W ends, it'd be around 5 or 6 episodes in.

Being W's replacement seems more plausable since Funimation hasn't said anything about the dub yet, just the fact they got the rights for the sub.

Plus simuldubs tend to happen, what, a month to 6 weeks after the show starts airing in Japan? The fact we got Dimension W 6 episodes in would match with MHA since when W ends, it'd be around 5 or 6 episodes in.

they wouldnt have announced it this early if the werent going to simuldub it and call it the biggest anime of the year.
shingeki s2 confirmed for not airing in 2016?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
TooNami I feel is really building back up its rep, have CN decided to actually pay these guys for their hard work yet?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If blood orphans has a high ChanCE of coming to toonami I might have to stop myself from starting it

Seda

There's no question Dragon Ball Z Kai's ratings have been a boon to Toonami overall despite being a reairing of a 5+ year old recut of an anime from many years ago. I would not be too surprised if parties involved here decided to have DBZ Kai -> Buu Arc (2017) -> Dragon Ball Super (2018+) to cement that leadoff Toonami slot for the next several years. A part of me thinks it would be in FUNi's best interest to start streaming Super as soon as possible, but maybe Toonami's, er, influence regarding DBZ is too stronk.

There's that news about Dragon Ball Super airing in Asia in English this year though, which is interesting.

Also, have we heard much about Attack on Titan season 2?

gundam is gonna replace parasyte.

book it.

maybe not.

but book it.

DeMarco did travel to Japan recently and visited Sunrise on the way (maybe just as a fan). I saw that some English voice actors (Stephanie Sheh) also visited Sunrise recently. Who knows.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if at some point we'll have a period in Toonami that will consist of nothing but Funimation shows and Naruto Shippuden?
It'll become the Toonamimation block.

Hold on, are they saying it's simulcast streaming AND Toonami airing?
Nah, this is just speculation. Right now it's just simulcast.....but it COOUULLLDDDD be another Dimension W situation, & the show is very popular right now and would be a good fit on the block sooooo.....

Grexeno

There's no question Dragon Ball Z Kai's ratings have been a boon to Toonami overall despite being a reairing of a 5+ year old recut of an anime from many years ago. I would not be too surprised if parties involved here decided to have DBZ Kai -> Buu Arc (2017) -> Dragon Ball Super (2018+) to cement that leadoff Toonami slot for the next several years. A part of me thinks it would be in FUNi's best interest to start streaming Super as soon as possible, but maybe Toonami's, er, influence regarding DBZ is too stronk.

There's that news about Dragon Ball Super airing in Asia in English this year though, which is interesting.

DeMarco did travel to Japan recently and visited Sunrise on the way (maybe just as a fan). I saw that some English voice actors (Stephanie Sheh) also visited Sunrise recently. Who knows.
I highly doubt Toonami is influential enough, even with Adult Swim's backing, to affect the dubbing of Dragonball fucking Z.

Attack on Titan S2 is still nebulously this year I think.

Jarate

Banned

Im pretty sure that if America does get Super, it'll be aired on TV on either regular cartoon network, nickelodeon, or disneys channel. DBZ is still a huge property here

Nah, this is just speculation. Right now it's just simulcast.....but it COOUULLLDDDD be another Dimension W situation, & the show is very popular right now and would be a good fit on the block sooooo.....

The article on ANN says they also have the broadcast distribution rights, soooooo.......

Z8hbhna.gif

Grexeno

Most arguments as to why "FUNI IS THE SHIT LOLZ" make no sense.

"Their player is so fucking bad!"

Works better than Crunchyroll's. Only notable flaw is very dark scenes.

"Terrible for people outside of the US!"

Welcome to literally every streaming site ever.

"Their subs are awful!"

Receipts pls.

Soulflarz

Banned
Funi has better VAs than the vast majority of people and their prices are a fraction of everyone elses

Therefore, funi can get anything, I really don't care.

Their player works fine for me, and if the box has some mild packaging error, again, I'd rather have the first print be screwed up or with some extremely minor errors for $20 than $80 anyways.
Then again, if Aniplex sold the TTGL box sets for a fraction of the price with a typo and one incorrectly proportioned scene for 10s vs the original, I'd buy that instead, sorry.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The article on ANN says they also have the broadcast distribution rights, soooooo.......

Z8hbhna.gif
Noticed that as well, which makes me hopeful, though I think broadcast rights are part of any agreement.

Also who the hell would people prefer to get an anime over Funimation, maybe excluding Aniplex (which then means expensive as hell BD/DVD sets) & I guess Viz?

Funi has better VAs than the vast majority of people

I mean, there's only really Funi's Texas talent pool, the Canadian talent pool (what's the last thing they've done?), Sentai's pool of nobodies unfortunate vocal direction, and the LA pool that Aniplex and VIZ use.

Second place out of four isn't much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom