• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

Might as well throw some requests for My Hero Academia here -> http://toonami.tumblr.com/ask

Supposedly they do pay at least a little attention to the shows people mention there.

You could ask on Jason's ask.fm as he'll be sure to see questions there but he usually directs these sorts of things to the tumblr.
I have this sneaking suspicion that Funimation will come to them with the show in any case.

ICYMI, there's an Astro Boy reboot coming soon.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-08/astro-boy-reboot-project-poster-unveils-more-characters/.99560

Based on the trailer, the environments, animation, and music look/sound great.
But I'm mixed on the character designs.

astroboy.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another Astro Boy reboot? Interesting.Though it would be nice if they rebooted another of Tezuka's manga.

Slightly related, I was on youtube just now and one of the suggested videos was a behind the scenes look at the recording of the Chopper Man episode with Brina Palencia. It's still fucking unbelievable to me that the voice of Chopper is coming out of her mouth. It's like, I'm seeing it with my eyes and hearing it with my ears so it must be real but my brain just can't comprehend it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tdPVCAK9nc

That does not look like Astro Boy, what the fuck...

well he's a robot so uhhhhh

nah still silly

Will the new Reboot series be called "Reboot Reboot"? :D

Slightly related, I was on youtube just now and one of the suggested videos was a behind the scenes look at the recording of the Chopper Man episode with Brina Palencia. It's still fucking unbelievable to me that the voice of Chopper is coming out of her mouth. It's like, I'm seeing it with my eyes and hearing it with my ears so it must be real but my brain just can't comprehend it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tdPVCAK9nc

Yeah, Brina's such a talented voice actress. Consistently making your voice that high-pitched takes a lot of skill...and water.

Jarate

Banned
Toonamis biggest year because AGK finally ended

also, I currently have a lot of nodes attached to my face for a sleep study im doing

Crocodile

I don't think he could have known Funi was going to get MHA right?

Funi may have announced MHA today but they didn't just sign the paperwok. There's nothing to suggest this couldn't have been in the works for months and/or Toonami wasn't aware of it.

I was under the impression that Dimension W was something that happened very quickly right before it went on the air though.

Funimation was on the production committee for Dimension W. They owned the US rights from the get go. As for Funi shopping the show to Toonami, that may have had a quick turn around, I couldn't tell you. Is that specifically what you mean?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Think of the massive lead time you need on animation. Then if one or more of these companies is involved in the funding think of the massive lead time you need on that. It's the same with vidja games, the first contracts get signed years ahead in many cases.

Seda

This became a little more of a summary than an impressions piece, but whatever.

To kick things off, Lagoon Company sees no reason to help Garcia and Fabiola, and suggest Rock ignore their requests to find Roberta as it doesnt really concern them. Mr. Chang, however, acknowledges that Rock is clearly the best person for the job, due to his skills and lower profile. We learn later that Chang is really more worried about the state of Roanapur, because Roberta's actions are bound to bring terrible consequences to the region, both in loss of life and livelihood for the various groups housed there.

Rock, trying to figure out what to do, or even if he should spend energy on this request, realizes that the South American cartel have more troops coming in and things could get real messy real fast (remember, Roberta is from Venezuela). He spends much of the episode trying to piece together the puzzle: what is Roberta planning to do, how is Chang going to react, will Hotel Moscow get involved, among other groups like the South Americans and Italians (who I don't think have been mentioned much until now).

Rock calls up Dutch, who's partaking in some light reading, about his history with Balalaika and how she owes him. The viewer doesn't hear the details. Rock ... has a pretty long night

2-23xswz.png
2-46osv5.png

Afterwards, Rock learns that Roberta made an appearance at the once-again-destroyed bar, asking the keeper there where she can acquire armaments. Rock makes a visit to find Bo hanging out with bikini-clad whores. Bo describes his encounter with the crazy spectacled maid and gives Rock details about Roberta's quest for weaponry, while Garcia seems popular with the ladies to Fabiola's chagrin.

Fabiola's facial expressions are pretty fun throughout, btw. It's also nice to see Benny and Dutch get a little airtime of their own where Revy sits out much of the episode.

2-6jps88.png
2-5bksco.gif

Rock leaves with Benny, Fabiola, and Garcia to see if they can find more leads. They ... fail. Instead, we learn a bit about Fabiola's past. Coming from the slums with many brothers&sisters, she took on learning some martial arts to protect herself and family - which apparently Garcia doesn't know much about. Benny uncharacteristically give some statement that self-defense doesn't work in Roanapur, and instead you should aim to kill when necessary. This episode is pretty talky, moreso than the first even, and there's not much action to speak of. While it kinda retreads some of the themes already explored in the earlier episodes, it's still manages to remain engaging enough.

2-830uqa.png
2-9dyuys.png

Meanwhile, the leaders of the various gangs in Roanapur hold a meeting to determine what to do about the Roberta problem, including Balalaika and Chang. Rock, knowing of the meeting, perfectly predicts how events transpire. Chang's main motive is to keep the status quo of Roanapur stable, where Balalaika is more interested in the motives of the Americans who got involved in South American politics in the first place. Makes it pretty clear shit is about to go down.

2-11q5u9b.png
2-1372udv.png

Eda also makes another appearance, which if you don't remember, is CIA disguised as a nun (and none of the main cast know this IIRC). Learning about the actions of the Americans doesn't make her too happy, because the Army & NSA operated without her or the CIA's knowing. It not quite clear what she thinks about all this and what she plans to do. Eda mentions that the CIA's main interest in Roanapur is economic manipulation and monitoring. She calls up Chang, who she seemingly maintains contact for information, and tells him about the NSA's task force and their next target.

Eda has quite a bit of influence over the Triad it seems.

"You may have the power to get individuals and companies to submit to your will, but we have the power to destroy entire countries. We have no equals in the world; we are the highest authority there is."

Meanwhile, Roberta is still kinda losing it. The show hints there might be other reasons she's so hellbent in her goal other than revenge for her master.

2-10nruna.png
2-12tqubo.gif

Rock is still pretty down in the dumps after not finding any leads, and has a bit of a heart-to-heart with Revy .... in their own unique fashion. There's some metaphor about Revy being the Gun and Rock being the Bullet and its frankly pretty corny but whatever. It's also pretty clear these two are intimate as Revy showers and walks naked around in Rock's presence without reservation. Revy wonders if Rock is desperate to help Garcia/Fabiola as a sort of redemption for failing to save Yukio during their time in Japan.

Anyway, Revy decided to help and now they are getting somewhere. They learn where Roberta is getting weapons and decide to follow the trail. Revy and Fabiola totally get along.

2-15x5u99.gif
2-16kjuzp.png

Bonus NSFT .gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Goddammit, Black Lagoon has been on hiatus too long.

Is this the pain that HunterxHunter fans feel?

I know that pain from both.

I read somewhere that Black Lagoon was supposed to come back at some point this year and finish up the current arc. So have faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom