• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar16| Oh yes. I poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How many licensing/dubbing anime companies even are still around (in the US)?

Funimation
Aniplex
Sentai
Viz
Discotek (& they're more about re-releasing older/more obscure stuff, I don't think they even do dubs)

That's all that comes to mind.

Line_HTX

OK, help me out here. I loved OPM to death and will watch it again, and it got a well deserved AOTY. I'm struggling to see what's so special about MHA besides it's a shounen type hero stuff. I don't get what I'm missing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Funimation
Aniplex
Sentai
Viz
Discotek (& they're more about re-releasing older/more obscure stuff, I don't think they even do dubs)

Animeigo
Rightstuf
NISA
PonyCanyon USA
Media Blasters

OK, help me out here. I loved OPM to death and will watch it again, and it got a well deserved AOTY. I'm struggling to see what's so special about MHA besides it's a shounen type hero stuff. I don't get what I'm missing.

It's a solid 7/10 shonen that can improve as it goes on. It will have the wind sucked out of it by airing next to Diamond is Unbreakable, a 10/10 shonen.

Jarate

Banned
take blue exorcist and make it good and thats my hero academy

Harry Potter like tales have always been super popular among anime fans

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What's gonna make or break MHA is the fillers, fillers might help to give some more actual fight scenes in the series

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Animeigo
Rightstuf
NISA
PonyCanyon USA
Media Blasters
Oh right, forgot about NISA.

Holy crap, Media Blasters still exists? Damn.

I thought Rightstuf just sold anime? They actually license them?

I never heard of PonyCanyon or Animeigo. Edit: OH, Animeigo did that kickstarter for Bubblegum Crisis & Otaku no Video.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh right, forgot about NISA.

Holy crap, Media Blasters still exists? Damn.

I thought Rightstuf just sold anime? They actually license them?

I never heard of PonyCanyon or Animeigo.

Rightstuf actually acquires stuff now, for example, they hold the US license for Gundam now, and they usually distrubte through Nozomi Entertainment and Lucky Penny Entertainment.

Animeigo is one of the oldest distributors on the market anime I actually interview them not too long ago and they are the ones doing that Riding Bean Kickstarter.

Ponycanyon USA just got establsihed and is the North American publishing arm of Pony Canyon Japan which has been around for a good long while.

Mizerman

I find it very good at this point.. One of the modern shonen series that has me invested.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I mean, I'll give it a shot like always and watch it no matter what.

I'm just not into Shounen types as much anymore.
If there's one thing you should read for its the art, it's pretty spectacular, also It has legit good humor

also monster girls

Crocodile

A) Cool to see MHA got licensed. I think it would do very well on Toonami.

B) I'm skeptical Attack on Titan 2 comes out this year. Basically the entire team that worked on that show is working on not-Attack on Titan (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress) which is airing next month.

Most arguments as to why "FUNI IS THE SHIT LOLZ" make no sense.

"Their player is so fucking bad!"

Works better than Crunchyroll's. Only notable flaw is very dark scenes.

"Terrible for people outside of the US!"

Welcome to literally every streaming site ever.

"Their subs are awful!"

Receipts pls.

Nah their player is pretty fucking bad. Like sometimes you can't even see shit. They also sometimes are like a week late with simlucasts which can be annoying.

Line_HTX

Media Blasters still exists but they are basically just selling discs with "AH MY GODDESS" sprawled on it with a sharpie

I stumbled upon their booth at a local con here two weekends ago, and wow, not only did they had those kinds of prints, but the majority of the table was filled with titles that shall not be mentioned, ROFL

If there's one thing you should read for its the art, it's pretty spectacular, also It has legit good humor

also monster girls

Monster girls? OK, you piqued my interest a little bit...

Who deku and kacchan is?
tumblr_o3qu8sa1VT1qbxqfpo1_540.png

bigkrev

Funimation
Aniplex
Sentai
Viz

Does Netflix count?

DTL pls.

Funimation
Aniplex
Sentai
Viz

Gonna chime in and say that contrary to popular belief Manga Entertainment is still around, albeit, not doing much of anything for the past 5 years.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait.

MANGA Entertainment licenses ANIME?

.............that seems kind of misleading.

That's like calling your company Anime Entertainment, but you only license manga.

Noticed that as well, which makes me hopeful, though I think broadcast rights are part of any agreement.

Also who the hell would people prefer to get an anime over Funimation, maybe excluding Aniplex (which then means expensive as hell BD/DVD sets) & I guess Viz?

Aniplex has been streaming their stuff dubbed to Crunchyroll/Hulu/Netflix so it's not all bad if they get the rights. They get a lot of shit for their high prices (and deservedly so for the most part), but their dubbing is usually some fantastic stuff.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aniplex has been streaming their stuff dubbed to Crunchyroll/Hulu/Netflix so it's not all bad if they get the rights. They get a lot of shit for their high prices (and deservedly so for the most part), but their dubbing is usually some fantastic stuff.
Oh absolutely. I don't think I've heard a bad Aniplex dub so far, & their Kill la Kill one was so good, I prefer it over the sub despite seeing the subs first & was used to those voices.

It's just when you want to own their stuff physically, it becomes pricey.

Oh absolutely. I don't think I've heard a bad Aniplex dub so far, & their Kill la Kill one was so good, I prefer it over the sub despite seeing the subs first & was used to those voices.

Looks at the Fate/Zero and Monogatari S1 blu-rays on my shelf

yep ._.

It gets even worse when Aniplex, for some stupid reason, doesn't actually sell them here in Canada directly. You either got to get it from Rightstuf or from a 3rd party Canadian Seller and there's no chance in hell they won't mark it up to assinine levels.

Being a Canadian anime fan can be shit sometimes.

Seda

Might as well throw some requests for My Hero Academia here -> http://toonami.tumblr.com/ask

Supposedly they do pay at least a little attention to the shows people mention there.

You could ask on Jason's ask.fm as he'll be sure to see questions there but he usually directs these sorts of things to the tumblr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom