• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to finish the avatar of myself. I can't help but rep One Piece in all I do.

Unless I'm repping Sonic.

doctor_m__chaotix__by_crystalchaotix3-db1r6f5.png

http://crystalchaotix3.deviantart.com/

That's just depressing. 4Kids really did kill One Piece over here, it's a damn shame.

Not kill. Severely wounded. Not even scarred either.

It's doing a lot better than it was before for certain. Getting to see a One Piece movie in theaters with a crowd of fans was something I never thought would ever happen for the series period. And the manga sells fine. The DVDs sell fine. They're still bringing over the video games for it. I can find T-shirts and Figures for the characters in stores now.

I've even bought an Ivankov and Magellan key-chain at a mall once.

All stuff that would never have happened if 4kids still had it.

So it may not be on the level of DBZ or Naruto but despite the monster that is 4kids, it takes more than that to completely suppress the power of the Monkey D.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I managed to finish the avatar of myself. I can't help but rep One Piece in all I do.

Unless I'm repping Sonic.

doctor_m__chaotix__by_crystalchaotix3-db1r6f5.png

http://crystalchaotix3.deviantart.com/

Nice work! Reminds me of my own self-avatars, so I'm easily bias in that respect, ha.

This makes me think that I'd be pretty P.O'd if they ran an April Fools of one of these fake schedules being real, with a new "After X Years, Toonami is gone again!"... only to reveal it's a lie at block's end. Hope they're never THAT cruel, heh.

samurai_jack_by_wrigglybear_d9bxuwh.jpg

Source.

Jack has lots of great fanart.

Great art tends to inspire great art I suppose.

hqdefault.jpg

It's hard to believe that this will be the last One Piece episode on Toonami.

I wonder if they'd ever be open to bringing it back as a headliner on a per-arc basis? Or maybe even occasional movies? It'd be nice to have it appear again every once in a while...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not kill. Severely wounded. Not even scarred either.

It's doing a lot better than it was before for certain. Getting to see a One Piece movie in theaters with a crowd of fans was something I never thought would ever happen for the series period. And the manga sells fine. The DVDs sell fine. They're still bringing over the video games for it. I can find T-shirts and Figures for the characters in stores now.

I've even bought an Ivankov and Magellan key-chain at a mall once.

All stuff that would never have happened if 4kids still had it.

So it may not be on the level of DBZ or Naruto but despite the monster that is 4kids, it takes more than that to completely suppress the power of the Monkey D.

I mean, it's not dead but it's not what it is literally everywhere else in the world though. If Funi had the series from the start it'd probably be the second biggest anime property ever in the US, just like everywhere else.

That's just depressing. 4Kids really did kill One Piece over here, it's a damn shame.

I mean, it's still relatively popular over all. It's like the second most streamed anime on Crunchyroll behind Naruto: Shippuden.

I think the biggest slight against it though is there's just too many damn episodes. It's approaching 800 and if I'm someone who has never seen the series before it's too monumental of a task for me to get caught up to pace, at least watching it weekly anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, it's still relatively popular over all. It's like the second most streamed anime on Crunchyroll behind Naruto: Shippuden.

That still pales in comparison to where it is in the rest of the world. Anywhere else and it'd be beating Shippuden handily.

I think the biggest slight against it though is there's just too many damn episodes. It's approaching 800 and if I'm someone who has never seen the series before it's too monumental of a task for me to get caught up to pace, at least watching it weekly anyway.

This is why 4Kids did so much damage. They ruined the only real opportunity to get people into it when the episode count was lower. It took like a decade to recover from the damage and reach a point someone felt it was worth airing on TV again and by that point the series had expanded to 800 episodes.

It's important the block never be too good.

Less we forget it was anime fans who first partook of the forbidden fruit.

I think that's how the story goes?

ckohler

One Piece was the only show left on the block I'd seen ahead. With it gone, every show is new to me. While that is still fun, I can no longer enjoy seeing other people's first reactions to a show I liked which is kind of a bummer.

I hope they get My Hero Academia at some point so this can happen again. I've seen that.

I mean, it's not dead but it's not what it is literally everywhere else in the world though. If Funi had the series from the start it'd probably be the second biggest anime property ever in the US, just like everywhere else.

Probably. But it doesn't have to be.

It kind of hurts more because we live in the US (I assume we all do here at least) but we still have access to all of it and the knowledge that it's the most popular anime/manga series in the world kind of is a nice enough thing to fall back on at the end of the day. You know?

I'm trying to remain optimistic. I got all emo on Saturday about it but now most of my sadness stems from the fact that the Supernovas won't be appearing on Toonami. And neither will Share the World.

Nice work! Reminds me of my own self-avatars, so I'm easily bias in that respect, ha.

Thank you! Haha!

There's a little bit more about the One Piece decision over on Demarco's Ask.fm page, including how they tried to get one of the films on, but things didn't work out.

So yeah, Toeiiiiiiiiiiiii

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, I thought DeMarco closed his ask.fm page down.

But yeah, a few comments about OP:

"Many complicated legal and financial reasons, beyond the simple basic fact that it just never did well enough in the ratings for our programming department to be really happy with it. Unfortunately."

There's "always!" a chance OP could return.

They tried getting a OP-related film on the block, but "Oh believe me we already have, several times. It's not possible, I really wish it was!"

So yup, sounds more like Toei & a mix of money + ratings.

Edit: Also, DeMarco wasn't excited for Zelda & isn't buying a Switch, so.......I guess don't expect Nintendo reviews anytime soon.

Well from Toei's perspective OP should be like DBZ a premium brand and I'm sure the explanation of "the old dub company fucked its popularity on tv" doesn't fly with them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well from Toei's perspective OP should be like DBZ a premium brand and I'm sure the explanation of "the old dub company fucked its popularity on tv" doesn't fly with them.

Pretty much. Toei probably sees how it does in Japan, how it does in the rest of the world, and looks at the US and figures we (the channel airing it) must be doing something wrong.

Yeah, I can definitely see that from Toei in regards to OP.

Well it's not like they decided to air Elfen Lied.

That show... I still remember randomly watching Elfen Lied. I deeply regret it...

I mean, it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but I found it deeply overrated since I watched it when it was pretty popular. It wouldn't really show, because censors.

Still don't know why I tried out Brynhildr in the Darkness either, the creator's other work.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well it's not like they decided to air Elfen Lied.
I'm sure you're joking & while it would make for a hilarious group watch, I'm pretty sure that's one where DeMarco flat-out said it wouldn't happen due to the amount of editing/censoring that would have to be done.

Elfen Lied is one of those rare shows where I can't think of a single good thing to say about it.

Everything about Elfen Lied is horrible.

I'm sure you're joking & while it would make for a hilarious group watch, I'm pretty sure that's one where DeMarco flat-out said it wouldn't happen due to the amount of editing/censoring that would have to be done.
They can't even air the first five minutes...
That show... I still remember randomly watching Elfen Lied. I deeply regret it...

I mean, it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but I found it deeply overrated since I watched it when it was pretty popular. It wouldn't really show, because censors.

Still don't know why I tried out Brynhildr in the Darkness either, the creator's other work.
What the heck is the other show even about?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Watching an Elfen Lied review (& a commentary about it giving more thoughts), it seems most of the fans were people who discovered it when they were teenagers......which I won't lie, I was about 14 or 15 as well, so of course I thought "DAAAAAAMN, THIS SHOW IS EDGY", but then realize when they're older it's not that great of a show.

Doesn't help the tone goes all over the place at times. WACKY ECCHI HIJINKS but then scene of child abuse BUT OH NOES LUCY DID SOMETHING SILLY but then a little girl gets her limbs torn apart.

What the heck is the other show even about?

It's a sci-fi, harem thriller. Girls with powers through being artificially made witches. Examples of powers are telekinesis, near-future sight of how someone's going to die, hacking, regeneration, etc. They require these drugs to stay alive. Been a while since I watch/read it.

The main heroine is this main hero's childhood friend, but doesn't know him at first when they meet again, because amnesia happened to her through use of her powers. Like I said, been forever, so I'm going off my memory...

Felt more like a typical ecchi comedy series than a sci-fi thriller though.

So yeah, very Elfen Lied.

It's a sci-fi, harem thriller. Girls with powers through being artificially made witches. Examples of powers are telekinesis, near-future sight of how someone's going to die, hacking, regeneration, etc. They require these drugs to stay alive. Been a while since I watch/read it.

The main heroine is this main hero's childhood friend, but doesn't know him at first when they meet again, because amnesia happened to her through use of her powers. Like I said, been forever, so I'm going off my memory...

Felt more like a typical ecchi comedy series than a sci-fi thriller though.

So yeah, very Elfen Lied.
I guess the creator is very one note.

I guess the creator is very one note.

That's what I've got from my experience with their work. Some probably think they can ride their success with similar stories.

It doesn't help Elfen Lied wasn't that great to begin with, even if it got popular. Then again, it mainly got popular because of the nudity and gore. Shock value for some at the time.

Huh, I thought DeMarco closed his ask.fm page down.

But yeah, a few comments about OP:

"Many complicated legal and financial reasons, beyond the simple basic fact that it just never did well enough in the ratings for our programming department to be really happy with it. Unfortunately."

There's "always!" a chance OP could return.

They tried getting a OP-related film on the block, but "Oh believe me we already have, several times. It's not possible, I really wish it was!"

So yup, sounds more like Toei & a mix of money + ratings.

Edit: Also, DeMarco wasn't excited for Zelda & isn't buying a Switch, so.......I guess don't expect Nintendo reviews anytime soon.

I know DeMarco catches a lot of shit but I really respect the man for fighting so hard for One Piece. You can tell he's a huge fan.

And also massive respect for recognizing how shit Fairy Tail is too.

That's what I've got from my experience with their work. Some probably think they can ride their success with similar stories.

It doesn't help Elfen Lied wasn't that great to begin with, even if it got popular. Then again, it mainly got popular because of the nudity and gore. Shock value for some at the time.
Nothing gets your show out there like gorn, but gorn doesn't exactly stand the test of time though.

Akainu

So... a NEET then?

Hikikomori. Neets don't have jobs.

150 people & not a single person was female?

& that was when Gon held a girl's hand for the first time.

Ohohohoho. You have no idea.

So she and her friend got a hand on a magic flue and when her friend played it that person died and Melody turned into a rat person? I just want to make sure I caught all that.
No, it's the sheet music not the instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom