• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I played about 5 hours of Mass Effect last night with the Origin Access thing, and so much of the hate surrounding that game seems like hyperbole so far. The game could still turn out bad, but the early sections I've seen don't really warrant all the memes and shit. I've seen a few wonky facial animations but generally it was "fine" (as in, typical for a Bioware game.)

I played about 5 hours of Mass Effect last night with the Origin Access thing, and so much of the hate surrounding that game seems like hyperbole so far. The game could still turn out bad, but the early sections I've seen don't really warrant all the memes and shit. I've seen a few wonky facial animations but generally it was "fine" (as in, typical for a Bioware game.)
I mean yeah it probably is a bit overblown, but animation tech has come so far since the original trilogy that when you fuck it up it just becomes glaring. I believe with it being post Horizon and Uncharted 4 you have step up your animation department.

Tenumi

Banned

Doesn't surprise me since GAF loves to force narratives about certain games. So what if it's not a 10/10 masterpiece? Who fucking cares? All that matters is if you enjoy the game.

Moaradin

I mean yeah it probably is a bit overblown, but animation tech has come so far since the original trilogy that when you fuck it up it just becomes glaring. I believe with it being post Horizon and Uncharted 4 you have step up your animation department.

Thing is, I've seen just as bad animation in Horizon for example, but you never see those passed around anywhere. And Mass Effect is a 100-200 hour long RPG. I don't think the animations can be compared to something like Uncharted where everything is mocapped with extreme detail.

Either way, I may just opt to play Nier: Automata again on PC instead of Mass Effect lol. That game is SO GOOD.

Thing is, I've seen just as bad animation in Horizon for example, but you never see those passed around anywhere. And Mass Effect is a 100-200 hour long RPG. I don't think the animations can be compared to something like Uncharted where everything is mocapped with extreme detail.

Either way, I may just opt in to play Nier: Automata again on PC instead of Mass Effect lol.
My next new game is Persona 5. Horizon ain't perfect, it has obvious lip synching issues, but I don't think it has anything that's super janky. Any gafs weren't a huge factor cause was still able to get engrossed in it. I can see the developers really cared while making it. I'll buy Andromeda, but not on release day, will definitely wait for a price drop cause I don't give EA my money that often these days.

I can handle some jank. Jank is okay if the game is fun.

A bigger worry for me, is the writing. Particularly the character writing.

I'm not seeing anyone so far, that strikes me in the way say Garrus Vakarian did.

Garrus was best bro.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I played through the majority of Drakengard 3 & all of its DLC content.

I KNOW THE TRUE MEANING OF JANKY..........maybe........

....god, I hope they make a HD collection of that series. I'd hate to see how the first two games ran on PS2 considering the 3rd felt like my PS3 was going to burst into flames because it couldn't handle running Drakengard 3 smoothly.

Moaradin

Far too early to say how the story will shape up, but I liked the early sections enough. There were lots of characters to talk to with a lot of dialogue on the Nexus. Felt like classic Mass Effect. The actual premise of the story is interesting, but it's all about execution. Haven't played enough to get a feel for the characters yet, but the female Turian seems pretty cool so far.

Crocodile

I'm glad its Gundam getting pushed back and not HxH. Gives me an excuse o slip out if need be after HxH

Hmm...

YzUOzds.png

I would welcome this back to the block <3

I'll quickly rank the winter shows I'm watching.

1. Monster Girls. Always enjoy watching this one.
2. Dragon Maid. This show is funny and colorful.
3. ACCA. Dope ass opening theme to this harem of politics show that's kinda boring.
4. Fuuka. I like this show...and I don't know why.

Needs more Konosuba

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would be shocked if Outlaw Star returned (though it sure would be a good way to promote the Blu-Ray release, considering they aired some DVD promos back during the April Fools run of Toonami), but man that sure would make for a fun group watch & a great way to end the night.

Plus they could be all "OUTLAW STAR, UNCUT FOR THE FIRST TIME, INCLUDING THE EPISODE THAT WAS TOO HOT FOR ITS ORIGINAL RUN".

Ray Down

Banned
I played through the majority of Drakengard 3 & all of its DLC content.

I KNOW THE TRUE MEANING OF JANKY..........maybe........

....god, I hope they make a HD collection of that series. I'd hate to see how the first two games ran on PS2 considering the 3rd felt like my PS3 was going to burst into flames because it couldn't handle running Drakengard 3 smoothly.

Cavia were never that great developers.

Jarate

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn had really awkward facial animations and voice acting as well

The main issue is we live in a post Witcher 3 world, and people want that in their open world rpgs now. That level of refinement and polish (no pun intended) is expected, and we got something like Horizon Zero Dawn, that while had it's own problems (The VA in the game and some of the facial animations were wonky. VA was horrible in certain parts) it was a new IP, and had a new and interesting setting and enemy encounter design that seperated it from the Witcher imo.

Mass Effect just looks really bland gameplay wise (most bioware games are like this tbf) so that means you better step up your cinematics and story, which they seem to fail miserably at.

This also means Bioware, a really famous and well respected game developer, has now released; Mass Effect 3 (complete PR disaster), TOR (complete PR disaster), Dragon Age Inquisition (Not anything special, although not a complete disaster) Dragon Age 2 (Complete and Utter Disaster) as their past like 4 games. This is from the company that is was once seemed at the top of the Industry with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Origins.

Also, animations have been a huge problem in some of their other games, and the animations being bad in this one as well is an acceptance of being incompetent, despite this being a constant problem and criticism. It's like how Bethesda got treated with Fallout 4 after it was released, since it had the same set of problems (i'd argue Bethesda's art direction saved the game a bit from getting as much flak as it did, also Fallout 3 was kind of awful and Bethesda did improve)

Basically, welcome to a post Witcher 3 world.

Tenumi

Banned
Mass Effect multiplayer looks pretty fun, but I'd rather just play Warframe tbh.

Me and a few friends still play ME3 multiplayer to this day. Sure, it's simple horde mode stuff, but it's fun (and amusing at times. Lash was the best biotic power)

ckohler

Horizons VA and motion capture is really hit and miss. But when it hits it looks fantastic.

I've found Aloy to be consistently great throughout but only important NPCs look great where as random nobodies look quite bad.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
for the love of OH MY GOD, Viz, give us some damn details on Part 3.

Hell, we STILL don't know anything about the Parts 1 & 2 Blu-rays.

Part of me thinks that there's no way EA would mishandle an IP like Mass Effect if they could help it.

The other part of me watched a bit of Giant Bomb's playthrough and thinks all the animations and conversations are stilted and weird despite being delivered through a dialogue system that was created for the specific purpose of NOT being that way.

I will also say this, as a person who played both default male and default female Shepard, the default designs for Sara and Scott Ryder don't look good to me.

If I knew nothing about the game, and you showed me the designs for Sara/Scott, I would probably assume they were created characters. Not the default designs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We've known they've been working on Part 3 for ages now. They even put out dub clips before.
That's the thing. It's been almost 3 years since they released that test dub, & that was it. I get dubbing is a long process to ensure good quality, especially with a longer series & having to deal with people who're working on other dubs, but at the same time, it feels like we've had little to no info since then.

Granted, maybe we'll get lucky with Part 3 being a dub premiere, but as someone who buys very few DVDs/BD & this is one of those rare times I want to own a series physically, it just sucks having to wait sooooooo long on details.

Moaradin

They did do that test dub a few years ago, but we also got the "new" dub from Viz like a year or so ago as well. I believe they showed it off at one of the cons.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the "new" dub basically confirmed "hey, here's Polnareff's dub voice, we kept everyone else since you guys were positive on it."

At the very least, it's great the test dub did well & they kept Richard Epcar since he's going to be so much fun later on.

I think the "new" dub basically confirmed "hey, here's Polnareff's dub voice, we kept everyone else since you guys were positive on it."

At the very least, it's great the test dub did well & they kept Richard Epcar since he's going to be so much fun later on.

Richard Epcar was definitely perfectly cast. As was Matthew Mercer. I'm looking forward to Part 3. Can't wait to see the reactions here from first time viewers as well.

I don't have the patience for it.
Or the enough free money to buy models.
I'm trying to get back into it. I built one, started another, stopped at the legs got thrown out of my parents house, lost three of the ones I had and now I'm building again. It's actually kind of relaxing while listening to music after work.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm glad its Gundam getting pushed back and not HxH. Gives me an excuse o slip out if need be after HxH

I would welcome this back to the block <3

Needs more Konosuba

I did actually forget a show. Akiba's Trip. Which has an awful first episode but the rest of it is a good bad show. A lot of it has to do with an inspired dub as it is by far the ugliest show I've watched since Beware the Batman/Tenchi Muyo GXP.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
G Gundam is by no means a perfect dub. The audio quality isn't great. Some of the actors are terrible.

It's also easily in my top ten dubs though because it fits so god damn well. Some real ass emotion gets through the screen on this silly show.

The Japanese audio track is also really good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam are the only remasters I've watched and both looked stunning at times. I will buy Mobile Fighter G Gundam the second it comes out over here.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, this might fix one of the main problems I had with the original series in that it too damn long to get to shit. That being said, yea, not a fan of the idea but I can ignore this.

cntr

Banned
I should watch the original ES sometime

All I know about it is that it has romance as central plot, the mecha are called Light Finding Operations for some reason, and one of its openings was this pretty catchy rap song that was in Ouendan 2, on that Old Momotaro stage. edit: Oh, and that the AO sequel is universally said to be a travesty of humankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom