• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

Bagpipes.gif

cntr

Banned
they're gonna fund a Pacific Rim animated prequel series
I wish

It's probably The Big O S3 or something like that.
Which would also be pretty cool!

...is this a suggestion to watch the dub or not

The dub is great. It's perfectly fine and the voice fit the characters in my opinion. The only really annoying thing in the dub is the kids, because Renton's voice actor gets better as the series goes on and Renton's character gets better.

Fuuka 11
C7_Igzn_PW4_AAP5_HO.jpg

This is the best decision anyone has made in this show.

So Fuuka has broken up the band to the benefit of almost everyone. Naturally because of this, Yu breaks up with his amazing girlfriend, Koyuki. After all, he just loves Fuuka, a girl he went out with once, too much to possibly stay with Koyuki. It's not a stretch to say Koyuki is the only semi-likable character on this show now. Everyone else is either 2 dimensional, or a complete dingus. That said, Yu, amazing specimen that he is manages to get most of the band back together by writing a song that we don't hear. This is enough to make Kazuya redrop his renewed commitment to track, make Makoto give up on whatever the hell his dad wants, and for Sara to come back from the one temp band she joined.

Strangely enough, there was just loads of cheap fanservice this episode. Not that the series hasn't had it before, but it was damn comical here. Alright serious scene showing Fuuka clearly being in denial....and cut RIGHT IN THIS! (NSFW)

Chase17

I liked how the episode gave us two minutes of each band member and their thoughts (more than they've gotten in the whole series up to this point) about leaving the band, only to have them immediately rejoin the band because the protagonist made up a song over night.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love E7's dub almost unapologetically.

It does have some bits that have...questionable translations, specifically when it gets to the fake fantasy science that governs the universe.

Fuuka 11

So Fuuka has broken up the band to the benefit of almost everyone. Naturally because of this, Yu breaks up with his amazing girlfriend, Koyuki. After all, he just loves Fuuka, a girl he went out with once, too much to possibly stay with Koyuki. It's not a stretch to say Koyuki is the only semi-likable character on this show now. Everyone else is either 2 dimensional, or a complete dingus. That said, Yu, amazing specimen that he is manages to get most of the band back together by writing a song that we don't hear. This is enough to make Kazuya redrop his renewed commitment to track, make Makoto give up on whatever the hell his dad wants, and for Sara to come back from the one temp band she joined.

Strangely enough, there was just loads of cheap fanservice this episode. Not that the series hasn't had it before, but it was damn comical here. Alright serious scene showing Fuuka clearly being in denial....and cut RIGHT IN THIS! (NSFW)

Funny thing is I had a gut feeling this would be the direction the show would go, especially after the previous episode made a point to call attention to the "childhood friend winning." Like seriously, the fucking worse thing you can do to a person who has a crush on you is to lead them on and pity date them.

The fact that Yu was dumping Koyuki because of his nonsensical feelings for Fuuka only makes it worse.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm still four episodes or so behind that but I think the anime gets across the idea that the spineless MC is in fact way more attracted to Fuuka than his childhood friend. Especially clear during the beach arc.

I'm still four episodes or so behind that but I think the anime gets across the idea that the spineless MC is in fact way more attracted to Fuuka than his childhood friend. Especially clear during the beach arc.

Sorry for the unmarked spoilers there.

The problem with the series is that after that point they pretty much drop any chemistry between the two almost entirely, so this episode really comes out of left field.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sorry for the unmarked spoilers there.

The problem with the series is that after that point they pretty much drop any chemistry between the two almost entirely, so this episode really comes out of left field.

I'm on the band playing for the first time episode, so the only things he's done since then is sort of become childhood friends boyfriend and introduce the third girl, who might actually be the best fit for him but whatever.

It's clear though that he's in it for Fuuka's booty. It mesmerized him during the beach episode.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Eureka Seven is actually sounding like it'd be right up my alley, haha. I'll check it out sometime.

The dub's good, right?

Not really, no. The Eureka dub is not very well directed, in some cases misses the point (and the musical references) entirely, and is plagued by a number of dubious translation choices. JYB doesn't finally nail the role of Renton until about 40 or so episodes in, at which point the series is virtually over. Part of that is probably because he was hastily recast as Renton after they ditched Yuri Lowenthal (because Yuri's voice was "too low" for Renton apparently, which is why JYB's Renton is obnoxiously whiny and screechy, especially early on).

It's a dub that's frustratingly close to being good and doesn't sound bad at first blush the way most obviously terrible dubs do (this isn't an Akame ga Kill sort of situation), but it just doesn't do its job of doing justice to the original. In this case the sub is way better.

cntr

Banned
Keep in mind that Eureka is easily in my "top 5 anime series of the 2000s" list. It's worth watching either way.
Oh yeah, I don't mind subs, so I'm watching it either way.

I think I'll have to default to the subs since the dub seems to have issues; maybe I'll rewatch it with the dub someday.

If you haven't watched Eureka Seven in any format, it's important you never watch AO.

Never watch AO.

The Eureka Seven movie is also pretty bad. Not in the same way AO is, but still.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How I discovered Toonami:

Late 90's, at a friend's house who had cable:

Friend: "OMG THERE'S A NEW EPISODE OF THIS AMAZING SHOW YOU GOTTA SEE! EVERYONE FLIES & SHOOTS LASER BEAMS AT EACH OTHER!!!"
Me: "Woah, that sounds awesome!"
*one episode later*
Friend: "WASN'T THAT GREAT?!"
Me: "...how come they didn't do anything & just stood around talking about the cool stuff they could've been doing?"

& that show turned out to be.............Dragon Ball Z.

Morlas

How i discovered toonami....cause i was a cartoon lover and i only wanted to watch the "Cartoon Network" and to this day, it's still my go to channel...when toonami is on...i'd watch the main broadcast more if they had more than TTG and Gumball on all the time.

I remember watching the block back when the OG Thundercats and Superfriends were both on the block and Moltar was still the host.

It's kind of funny, I also remember watching DBZ and Sailor prior to Toonami when they were both on syndicated tv. Toonami is the reason both the dubs got to continue their production.

Raxus

I will not watch AO.

The evil part of me wants it to come to Toonami if only to see the pain of the Eureka 7 fans all over again. I haven't seen it but it does fascinate me how one series can retroactively ruin everything before it. I actually have a hard time coming up with other examples that phenomena is so rare.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I recall when I had to get allergy shots as a kid in the early 2000s, Toonami might've been on in the waiting room while I had to sit & wait with an ice pack..........but it was Sailor Moon & it didn't appeal to me, so I'd go back to playing my GBA with games like Sonic Advance.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, finding anime on tv was hard as balls before I got CN and watched TOONAMI.

Ronin Warriors, DBZ, Sailor Moon would sometimes show up in syndication and you'd treasure whenever they ran. Sailor Moon for example made it to about six different networks during its run in the Boston media area and aired at times between 6am-9am and 3-5pm. Maybe you'd find it if you scoured your TV guide or happened to get lucky.

The day my local cable package got Cartoon Network (Channel 34!) was right before DBZ really took off and they did their last run of the Ocean dub before going into the rest of Namek.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The evil part of me wants it to come to Toonami if only to see the pain of the Eureka 7 fans all over again. I haven't seen it but it does fascinate me how one series can retroactively ruin everything before it. I actually have a hard time coming up with other examples that phenomena is rare.

Gundam 00 Season 2 is a good anime example of ruining something pretty good.

In video games MGS 4 did this to me.

Tenumi

Banned
I doubt I can remember exactly when or why I started watching Toonami way back when. I do remember watching DBZ and Sailor Moon, specifically. I especially remember hogging the phone watching DBZ with my best friend. Oddly enough, there was about a 3 second difference between our TVs... Also that really was kinda stupid in hindsight, but hey, what are 10-11 year olds to do except be stupid?

I also remember ReBoot. I loved ReBoot.

Maul has been my favorite thing about the animated series, so I'm looking forward to this.

I've been watching the AoT dub and it's been pretty darn good imo. How does it rank around here?

I dig it. Pretty fitting casting all around. Papenbrook pretty much goes full Paenbrook with the whole "LOUD VOICES" acting, but I mean that is Eren Yeager in a nut shell. During the first portion of the story at least.

Seda

Papenbrook's voice is kinda annoying, but it fits hot head annoying characters (did not fit Caesar at all).

Kinda like how JYB's voice is kinda creepy hence his best roles are villains and creepers.

Papenbrook's voice is kinda annoying, but it fits hot head annoying characters (did not fit Caesar at all).

Kinda like how JYB's voice is kinda creepy hence his best roles are villains and creepers.
Outside of Lelouche and Adachi what villains and creepers has he voiced?
At least this will sound nice...wait it's not even the dub? I have no urge to ride that torture train twice.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fuuka 11

Wait, did she survive her encounter with Truck-kun?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom