• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Meh. That episode just wasn't for me. Anyway...

h2fx2U9.png

Episode 51 "Guy Who Controls Dogs, Jr."
This week Grexeno, B-Dubs, and ckohler, talk Attack on Titan Season 2 and Stardust Crusaders, Chi-Chi's celibacy, the Godzilla threshold, Japanese vs US censorship, the Jobber Beasts, punching protags in the face, and the late Pervy-Sage.

Audio:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode051.mp3

Timecodes:
0:01:30 News
0:16:27 Sand Whale and Me
0:17:39 DBZ Kai
0:25:15 Jojo
0:32:20 Tokyo Ghoul
0:44:00 HxH
0:49:27 Gundam
0:51:43 Shippuden / Long running shonen

You can subscribe in your podcast app using this address:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/podcast.rss

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can see that as someone that has played and liked Persona 3 and 4 and has been liking P5 a lot so far. I've only played a little though (After School 4/18), but I can see a lot of people liking this more than the others because of the faster start and the tone of the story.

I can't wait to play more when I get home from college later today!
I've only played a little over 2 hours, but yup, as someone who played a decent amount of P3P & P4G, I seriously appreciate the improvements in the overall pacing (I won't lie, P4 takes about 3 hours for you to actually start "playing" cuz all the PLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTLPLOTPLOT) & all the small improvements like having commands be assigned to each button instead of a menu & having the super nice ability of just pressing R1 & instantly having the game know "OH, YOU FOUGHT THIS MONSTER! HERE'S ITS WEAKNESS, JUST CONFIRM TO SELECT THE ATTACK!", which will make dungeon crawling battles go so much faster. Plus the transitions are nice & stylish, especially when you enter & leave battle. I actually said out loud when I landed an ambush "oh damn, soooo good" because it didn't fall into the RPG trap of a loading screen of the screen distorting or whatever.

Also it's kind of funny the tonal whiplash from P4's "omg a new person, welcome to our small town! let's be frriieennddsss!" to P5's "UUGGHHH, THIS GUY, CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE HERE, WHAT AN OUTCAST"

Moaradin

Persona 5 definitely starts quicker than P4, but it's still pretty slow. I'm like 7 hours in (probably padded an hour or two) and I still don't have full control yet. Seems like I'm just now getting to the point where I can choose what I wanna do.
Looks like I'm about to do the first dungeon for real this time.

I've only played a little over 2 hours, but yup, as someone who played a decent amount of P3P & P4G, I seriously appreciate the improvements in the overall pacing (I won't lie, P4 takes about 3 hours for you to actually start "playing" cuz all the PLOTPLOTPLOTPLOTLPLOTPLOT) & all the small improvements like having commands be assigned to each button instead of a menu & having the super nice ability of just pressing R1 & instantly having the game know "OH, YOU FOUGHT THIS MONSTER! HERE'S ITS WEAKNESS, JUST CONFIRM TO SELECT THE ATTACK!", which will make dungeon crawling battles go so much faster. Plus the transitions are nice & stylish, especially when you enter & leave battle. I actually said out loud when I landed an ambush "oh damn, soooo good" because it didn't fall into the RPG trap of a loading screen of the screen distorting or whatever.

Also it's kind of funny the tonal whiplash from P4's "omg a new person, welcome to our small town! let's be frriieennddsss!" to P5's "UUGGHHH, THIS GUY, CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE HERE, WHAT AN OUTCAST"

Persona 5 definitely starts quicker than P4, but it's still pretty slow. I'm like 7 hours in (probably padded an hour or two) and I still don't have full control yet. Seems like I'm just now getting to the point where I can choose what I wanna do.
Looks like I'm about to do the first dungeon for real this time.

Yeah, I think what helps P5 is that I have more interest in the characters and what's going on, far as the opening goes. I'm more interested in what's going on and the tensions are higher already in the beginning of the game than they were in P4 specifically. I've spent a bit over 4- 5 Hrs and I have gotten to the point you are at going by your post, Moaradin. I think it definitely could have opened up quicker, but I feel more interest in playing this at the beginning than I did with the beginning of P4. It doesn't help P5's opening is very guided in what you have to do before you get to the point we are at (April 18 After School).

Moaradin

Definitely really enjoying it so far. They shake up the narrative in some minor, but appreciated ways. I'm liking all the main characters that I've met, and the dub has been pretty dang good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
thanks, april fools, you ruined the ratings

also damn, people leave unicorn but return for shippuden?!

Xe4

Banned
I, for one am shocked
SHOCKED!
that getting rid of your two best shows and confusing people into thinking Toonami isn't even airing will ruin your ratings.

Well, not that shocked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If I have one (minor) gripe with P5 at the moment, it's that Igor's voice is different, TOO different & doesn't fit the character. Like, when I first heard the voice, I thought it was some kind of narrator or a character I hadn't met yet, not freakin' Igor. It's not the voice itself that's the problem, it's the fact it's given to a short, old-looking guy with a long nose. The P3/P4 voice was fine, hell, Sentai brought him back for P4 Animation.

dbz01.jpg

thanks, april fools, you ruined the ratings

also damn, people leave unicorn but return for shippuden?!

Because were moving into an actual decent part of the series, unlike Unicorn which continues to be a slog if you have no idea about the UC-era gundam.

One might say "let's always have a Gundam show" maybe was a bad decision.

They need more stand alone Gundam shows, like G-Gundam, Wing and IBO. problem with Unicorn is that its sooooooooo deep rooted in its own history that new fans cannot pick this up without watching the 7-8 other series's first.

IBO had flaws but not the historical weight Unicorn has which made it an easier and more fruitful watch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gundamn it. I really wouldn't mind a break from Gundam, but I know we'll probably get IBO S2 after Unicorn.

Yeah the Toonami audience clearly doesn't have the love of gundam that DeMarco does
This as well, mainly for Unicorn & how it expects you to know the tons of other shows related to it. At least IBO was stand alone.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundamn it. I really wouldn't mind a break from Gundam, but I know we'll probably get IBO S2 after Unicorn.

This as well, mainly for Unicorn & how it expects you to know the tons of other shows related to it. At least IBO was stand alone.

Gundam Unicorn is a Gundam show mainly for UC fans, I think it was even billed as such.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On the other hand it's definitely a kids show and not one like DBZ or Naruto where there is nostalgia for it over here. Its a damn good kids show though!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I just don't ever see Build Fighters ever being taken seriously enough to ever get on Toonami, dubbed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom