• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Catching up on toonami

I never realized the scene of krillin saying "the big oaf really knows how to work a crowd" is actually a decent bit of foreshadowing
...so you're saying Goten is gonna turn into a giant ape & crush Goku, like what happened with Goku when he was at the tournament as a kid?

Moaradin

The Phantom Troupe Cast for those interested:
Chrollo - Robbie Daymond
Uvogin - Patrick Seitz
Nobunaga - Joe J. Thomas
Shalnark - Griffin Burns
Feitan - Tom Bauer
Pakunoda - Erica Lindbeck
Phinks - David Vincent
Franklin - Edward Bosco
Shizuku - Janice Roman Roku
Machi - Abby Trott

So yeah, Save for Patrick Seitz and David Vincent, it's pretty much all new blood, and a couple of older VAs like Joe J. Tomas and Janice Roman Roku who are new to the anime scene.

Robbie Daymond has been getting pretty big roles lately. Prompto in FFXV and one of the main characters in persona 5. Also mumen rider in OPM.

bigkrev

Fun Fact: Disney World hotels don't get Cartoon Network, so I missed this week. That said, I was in Disney so I can't really complain!

I got to watch the anime movie "Your Name" on the airplane though, which is out in theaters next month (why did American Airlines have this on their list of movies?!?). It's really good and made me cry, so you all should go see it

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, so, they changed it in the hollywood version so the Major gets her prosthetic body after a car accident as an adult, then is told "hey, we gave you a new body, NOW YOU WORK FOR US"?

....you're going to make someone who has little to no idea how to control their new body part of some special force police? The Major said it's something that takes time to fully grasp a prosthetic body, as she mentioned as a kid, she had trouble figuring out how to just grab things without crushing them, as shown IN THE DAMN OPENING.

Not to mention, this further removes the entire character arc that the Major had in the original movie of questioning who she was if most of her life was spent in robotic bodies that could be bought off shelves & anyone could easily look like her if they have the money. You could argue having this new body as an adult could still result in some identity crisis of "what part of me is still the original me?", but if anything, that crisis is much stronger when the Major spent most of her life in one, especially since she was a child & had to get multiple bodies (I mean, I'm pretty sure they didn't make bodies that grow in age similar to a normal body, unless I'm forgetting something & someone wants to correct me on that) while growing up.

For a director that's saying he wants to stay true to the source material by referencing the movies & TV series, it sure doesn't seem that way. It just feels like pandering to tell the fans "LOOK, WE PUT THIS IN! JUST LIKE IN THE ANIME! PLZ LIKE THIS MOVIE!" & yes, I know, sometimes you need to change stuff in an adaptation to make it more accessible & all that, but at this point, why is the name even attached? Why not just make your own characters & give it a different name? That way, it doesn't get as heavily criticized for not feeling like a movie from X franchise.

Also jeez, that freakin' dub step version. Because THAT'S what was missing from the soundtrack.

Mizerman

The Phantom Troupe Cast for those interested:
Chrollo - Robbie Daymond
Uvogin - Patrick Seitz
Nobunaga - Joe J. Thomas
Shalnark - Griffin Burns
Feitan - Tom Bauer
Pakunoda - Erica Lindbeck
Phinks - David Vincent
Franklin - Edward Bosco
Shizuku - Janice Roman Roku
Machi - Abby Trott

So yeah, Save for Patrick Seitz and David Vincent, it's pretty much all new blood, and a couple of older VAs like Joe J. Tomas and Janice Roman Roku who are new to the anime scene.

Nice lineup.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I kind of now hope that for April Fools, we get a showing of Dragonball Evolution followed by a few episodes of GT.

ckohler

I still maintain that for April Fools they show all anime in Japanese with subs... but then they risk some people complaining when it goes back to dubs.

Regiruler

Fun Fact: Disney World hotels don't get Cartoon Network, so I missed this week. That said, I was in Disney so I can't really complain!

I got to watch the anime movie "Your Name" on the airplane though, which is out in theaters next month (why did American Airlines have this on their list of movies?!?). It's really good and made me cry, so you all should go see it
Disney really doesn't want competition in their home territory I guess.
It's kinda dumb to be honest.

Your Name being airline exclusive is weird but I guess there's a novelty in it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd watch an anime about thumb wars
Monkey's Paw:

You get an anime based on this....damn thing:

51ZVXPZQ1JL.jpg

I feel bad. After Zelda it is going to be awkward going into horizon.
I think outside of them both being open world games I don't think they seem too similar. They don't even look the same and Horizon probably pays more attention to a narrative. Fighting dinobots is quite varied actually.

I've been loving Zelda, too. First time I've been consumed with a game in a while. The last time it happened was with Xenoblade Chronicles and 999 (played that game in a weekend). Bits of Xenoblade Chronicles X got to me too.

Been interested in Horizon and I'll probably get it with that Target sale this week along with Nier: Automata and either Gravity Rush 2 or Tales of Berseria. Hopefully, some copies are there when I go. If not, I can wait since I got Zelda and some other games to play in the mean time.

Regiruler

I think outside of them both being open world games I don't think they seem too similar. They don't even look the same and Horizon probably pays more attention to a narrative. Fighting dinobots is quite varied actually.

Both are post-apocalyptic featuring robots and blue shizo-tech.

I can see the comparisons.

Both are post-apocalyptic featuring robots and blue shizo-tech.

I can see the comparisons.
Wait BOTW is post apocalypse? I had no idea. I mean Horizon's world is clearly so far in the future that mankind...fucked up bad enough to be just barely pre industrial era, but I never got that sense from Zelda, cool. I will admit to media black outing that game though. Probably keeping it that way. I didn't see a lot from Horizon and it's helping...a lot with my enjoyment of it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda late this year, since the Switch offers fuck all for me atm.

I basically consider my Switch to be "a $500 version of The Legend of Zelda," and I have to say I feel pretty satisfied with the investment so far.

As a bonus, it can also play some other games!

Regiruler

Wait BOTW is post apocalypse? I had no idea. I mean Horizon's world is clearly so far in the future that mankind...fucked up bad enough to be just barely pre industrial era, but I never got that sense from Zelda, cool. I will admit to media black outing that game though. Probably keeping it that way. I didn't see a lot from Horizon and it's helping...a lot with my enjoyment of it.

I'm just assuming it's post apocalyptic with all the ruins and mystery.

I haven't seen a whole lot of it but it's really obvious from the first treehouse.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

A bunch of Zelda games are post-apocalyptic, really. Wind Waker, the Adult Link side of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess (sort of), the Dark World of A Link to the Past, etc.

Breath of the Wild really plays up the ruin and destruction element of things and the decay of time, though.

Zelda late this year, since the Switch offers fuck all for me atm.

That's definitely understandable. The reasons I got mine at launch were I had the money saved up, there was enough close to launch and in the future of the year to get one and I was going to get one eventually anyway.

I can easily understand that the lineup is being held together by indies in the first two or three months along with ports/re-releases or enhanced versions of Wii U games like MK8D and LEGO City Undercover, an enhanced older game with USF2 (overpriced to hell) and games like Puyo Puyo Tetris. Those are not system sellers for most people, especially for those who already own a Wii U that can run Zelda and MK8.

The system isn't really worth it for most people until Mario comes out and others will probably not get it anyway since they might be only interested in Mario and Zelda and not anything else.

A bunch of Zelda games are post-apocalyptic, really. Wind Waker, the Adult Link side of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess (sort of), the Dark World of A Link to the Past, etc.

Breath of the Wild really plays up the ruin and destruction element of things and the decay of time, though.
this does make sense. I've only played a handful of them with my favorites being OOT and Twilight Princess. As long as BOTW is better than skyward Sword all is good.

So I liked Skyward Sword...and that's pretty much the only compliment I can give it!

I'm watching a guy play BotW, talking about HZD at the beginning all the while. Is it really the only comparable open-world game to this new Zelda, or are peeps just saying this mainly because it was released at the same time?

(And on the side, is the Wii U version of BotW a tad more laggy? If so, bummer -n-)

Either way I'm glad to have some form of truly challenging Zelda again after, what, since before I was born?? (ALttP 1992)
Though of course this might be a mistaken bias for I have adapted to most of them already (besides the first three Zeldas)

I was watching SuperEyePatchWolf's video on Samurai Jack and was quite sold on it. Laughed my ass off at the Samurai Jack chicken kicking a cobra to death and a fuck ton of blood erupting out of its head.
Yeah, I'm still waiting for a couple of months from now till I get the Switch.
Funny enough I have Switch money, I'd just rather spend it on photography gear cause at the very least it has money making potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom