• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*finally gets Zelda Special Edition*

YES, NOW I CAN PLAY THIS WITHOUT ANY DISTRAC....

*sees Nier Automata reviewing super well*

.....WHY ISN'T IT HERE AAHHHH DAMN YOU AMAZON FOR MAKING IT ARRIVE THURSDAY.

....but then 4 more weeks until Persona 5 aaaaaaahhhhhhhh 2017 has been amazing for Japanese gaming.

....but then 4 more weeks until Persona 5 aaaaaaahhhhhhhh 2017 has been amazing for Japanese gaming.
I can't wait for P5. Nothing better than waifu's and demon fusion. I kind of wish we'd get a female led Persona game though. It's time, I already know about P3P and have damn near beat it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well damn, this intro to BotW feels so.....OPEN compared to the first hour or so of Skyward Sword which constantly was holding your hand. The comparisons to the very first Zelda are on-par.

...though I might have to give in & get a pro controller, using the joy cons feels....cramped.

Either way, letting my Zelda-obsessed friend borrow my Wii U so he can play that version. Cannot wait to see his reactions considering he was on media blackout & wanted to go in as fresh as possible. He didn't even know Link can jump until the Super Bowl commercial.

Seda

I like how the Jump Good episode has Aku holding a portal home out of Jack's reach, but Jack learns to Jump Good and he should have been able to get to the portal. And the episode ends abruptly.

HOW DID HE FAIL I NEED TO KNOW not really.

Do you know what game is reviewing better?

Zelda.

Seda

2017 has been amazing for Japanese gaming.

This might not make sense, I dunno, but I find remarks like this kinda weird. I play mostly Japanese games these days but I guess I don't put such a stark distinction between JAPANESE and NON-JAPANESE games. A great game is a great game, who cares if they are Japanese or Western developed?

Zelda.

Thanks for leading into my second point! This review rivalry comparison stuff is stupid. With so many great games coming out do we really have to try to pick and compare which game is the most superiorest? Jesus Christ.

Raxus

Honestly it is a wealth of riches in games right now. You have the dark soulsian Nioh, Open World Zelda, Action Nier, and RPG P5. That's not even counting Horizon, Yakuza 0 etc.

Basically you can play what you feel like and/or pick a game you feel like playing for a month and swap it out for another.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This might not make sense, I dunno, but I find remarks like this kinda weird. I play mostly Japanese games these days but I guess I don't put such a stark distinction between JAPANESE and NON-JAPANESE games. A great game is a great game, who cares if they are Japanese or Western developed?
A valid enough point. It's just for me, when I think about the "Western" games, it doesn't do much for me because it makes me think of stuff like God of War, Assassin's Creed, First Person Shooters, Skyrim, games that aims for "realism", etc., stuff that just doesn't seem to interest/click with me. But I still understand your "who cares which country made it" mentality since, after all, a fun game is a fun game no matter where it came from.

Zelda.
....but...they're two completely different games. This is like saying that Puyo Puyo Tetris is reviewing good, but then someone says "know what's reviewing better? God of War 4."

Ray Down

Banned
Can't say I really got an interest in Nier.

Never finished the 1st game and never really played a Platinum game (aside from Revengence).

That and some Nier fans annoy the piss out of me on this site, lol.

Raxus

Can't say I really got an interest in Nier.

Never finished the 1st game and never really played a Platinum game (aside from Revengence).

That and some Nier fans annoy the piss out of me on this site, lol.

You check out that SuperBunnyHop Nier video?

It is fucking hilarious.

Moaradin

Nier is the highest rated game on PS4 this year right now. Which is a damn miracle for a yoko taro game.

It's personally the game I'm most excited for outside of Persona 5.

Nier is the highest rated game on PS4 this year right now. Which is a damn miracle for a yoko taro game.

The problem is it won't even get a million sales worldwide. While everyone who plays it will put it in their personal top 5, most gamers won't rank it at all since they won't play it. Horizon Zero Dawn will likely be the highest ranking ps4 game at the end of the year.

Moaradin

I think the game has a decent chance at getting 1 million WW actually. It's selling extremely well in Japan and it's getting a lot of buzz now. It's definitely gonna be a success at this point.

I think the game has a decent chance at getting 1 million WW actually. It's selling extremely well in Japan and it's getting a lot of buzz now. It's definitely gonna be a success at this point.

It'll be close I can see the positive wom pushing it to over 1 million by the end of the year. It'll probably be the best selling yako taro/platinum game which is fantastic.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
March is already great with Zelda & Nier: Automata, then April with Persona 5, Yooka-Laylee & MK8 Deluxe. I'm hoping Fire Emblem Echoes will finally be the FE game that "clicks" since it's more RPG esque with dungeons & such, Sonic Mania & Splatoon 2 should be May or June, then June has Crash HD. July will have FF12 HD & Sept. has Danganronpa V3.

& then we have the stuff that we don't have dates for like FE Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite (seriously, how do we not have any other character reveals yet?), Xenoblade Chronicles 2, & that's just off the top of my head.

E3 is going to be great this year since I can't wait to see what'll get confirmed, especially for Switch.

Mizerman

March is already great with Zelda & Nier: Automata, then April with Persona 5, Yooka-Laylee & MK8 Deluxe. I'm hoping Fire Emblem Echoes will finally be the FE game that "clicks" since it's more RPG esque with dungeons & such, Sonic Mania & Splatoon 2 should be May or June, then June has Crash HD. July will have FF12 HD & Sept. has Danganronpa V3.

& then we have the stuff that we don't have dates for like FE Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite (seriously, how do we not have any other character reveals yet?), Xenoblade Chronicles 2, & that's just off the top of my head.

E3 is going to be great this year since I can't wait to see what'll get confirmed, especially for Switch.

There's also Injustice 2 in May and Tekken 7 in June.

Morlas

I'll probably pick up Nier for steam after i'm done with zelda
which may be never at this rate.

Speaking of the switch and more toonami related topics is anyone getting XV2 for the switch, because i have it on steam but i prefer my fighting games on console.

Crocodile

East vs. West has been and continues to be a thing on Gaming Side. It will probably always be a thing. Not much you can do to stop it - human tribalism is too strong.

Higher than Horizon: Zero Dawn?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Higher than Horizon: Zero Dawn?
Automata is slightly higher than Horizon, by like 2%, but Horizon also has double the reviews in comparison. I'm sure the score will drop to mid-80s once more reviews hit tomorrow. Though I've never been one to truly care about Metacritic scores, I care more honing in as to why a game works or doesn't & asking people with similar tastes.

I really wish Horizon had a demo, I love the idea of fighting robot dinosaurs, but the rest of it seems.....eeeh? I heard it was similar to Far Cry, which kind of further made me less interested. Doesn't help I've never been one to go for the graphical style of "let's see how realistic we can make the humans look", gimme something that I'll actually remember, like the amazing looking "3D that tries to look like 2D" of Guilty Gear Xrd or Ace Attorney 5/6.

if Automata is anything like the first it'll definitely have one of the better stories of the year even if it's certainly not going to get a second look for most GOTY discussion

Moaradin

Nier is still pretty niche. I don't see many other major outlets reviewing it. It's probably gonna stick around where it's at on metacritic.

if Automata is anything like the first it'll definitely have one of the better stories of the year even if it's certainly not going to get a second look for most GOTY discussion

It's been 5 years since I beat the first NieR and I still think about it from time to time. It really sticks with you.

Also has one of the greatest game soundtracks and a bunch of reviews mention Automata having a better one which just makes the next 15 or so hours til mail delivery even harder.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I played a bit of the original Nier via my friend's copy, one of these days, when I actually don't have anything else at the moment, I should continue it. I remember stopping right as fishing was introduced & being seriously annoyed at the design of "introduce mechanic at location where you can try out mechanic, but turns out to be out of your skill range because you really need to go somewhere else".

.....too bad my friend decided to spoil "oh yeah, so in each ending, *spoilers*", which was annoying considering I bought Drakengard 3 from him, but wants me to not spoil anything so he can finish it himself....*shrugs*

Too many games! I hope I can do that Target B2G1 free deal with Nier, Horizon, and either Gravity Rush 2 or The Last Guardian at some point this week.

cntr

Banned
I won't be able to play any of these games for a long while, but I'll be able to get the Automata soundtrack. And while that's not everything, it's still gonna be great!

Josh5890

Honestly it is a wealth of riches in games right now. You have the dark soulsian Nioh, Open World Zelda, Action Nier, and RPG P5. That's not even counting Horizon, Yakuza 0 etc.

Basically you can play what you feel like and/or pick a game you feel like playing for a month and swap it out for another.

The funny thing is that I said that this was the year that I was going to make a dent in my JRPG backlog. It doesn't look so good right now.

So ToonamiGaf bros, which series should I got about 10 days left on my Funimation Subscription. Which series should I tackle first; Stein's Gate or Psycho Pass?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Steins;Gate. Just note that the beginning can feel a bit slow because they really want you to know the characters so you care for them. But it'll be worth it.

Holy shit lightning storms in Breath of the Wild are so awesome.

The weather system in the game is fantastic all around.

I still remember when an enemy got right near me and a lightning strike went right to it, killing it instantly and leaving me unharmed. I still want to try throwing a metal weapon at an enemy at the right time and have the lightning strike them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom