• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

They would never put an old rerun like SAC in front of Tokyo Ghoul

In a perfect world it would be.

Granted in a perfect world you probably wouldn't have lost one piece in the first place.
...They're not premiering a show at 3:00am no matter what.

Hellsing_Ultimate_vol1_cover.jpg

Seda

Tbh I'm not too mad. The One Piece anime drags and it'll be nice to have a rotating show instead of feeling like we're making no progress through a middling adaptation.

Kinda where I'm at actually. I don't dislike One Piece but I'm not enamored with it enough to read the chapters.

As for Tokyo Ghoul, by all accounts it's bad, but maybe it'll keep things a little fresher having another rotating show. How many episodes of Tokyo Ghoul are there?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kinda where I'm at actually. I don't dislike One Piece but I'm not enamored with it enough to read the chapters or watch the anime somewhere else.

As for Tokyo Ghoul, by all accounts it's bad, but maybe it'll keep things a little fresher having another rotating show. How many episodes of Tokyo Ghoul are there?
Just two seasons being 12 episodes each, so it's not all that long.

When was the last time we had an edgy show? Akame Ga Kill?

I guess we were due for another.

Granted, Tokyo Ghoul kinda earns its edge I think? Maybe.

BTW, Akame Ga Kill ends with Tatsumi
stuck as a dragon, but Mine is cool with it, and they still have kids somehow.
Just so you know.

Chase17

This one piece news is disappointing even if it's not a great adaptation (slow). Guess I should sub to funimation lol, dub is really good.

Regiruler

Just so you know.

Author must be a scalie

Mizerman

Just so you know.

Yup. The AgK anime was basically a rough draft of the manga.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funimation Now is the best deal of any streaming service I subscribe to and the only one I didn't drop for a bit to build up my entertainment budget for the Switch.

It's quite simply the best service available for dubbed anime and its also very reasonably priced.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Long story, some of which involves legal info I can't share."

Sounds like it was more than just ratings. & they said it would cost too much to air One Piece after GitS, which....we've learned to not air a rerun in front of a premiere.

Edit: DeMarco has confirmed we're getting both seasons of Tokyo Ghoul & if you were wondering, they'll be uncut.

Seda

I don't know much about Tokyo Ghoul. Akame ga Kill comparisons are probably the quickest way to lose my interest haha.

At least it's FUNimation and not Sentai though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, they're showing the Month of Miyazaki promo from 2006.

That sure was a blast from the past.

Also, DeMarco said "We will announce a new schedule soon-ish." when asked if Tokyo Ghoul would take the 2:30 slot. Sounds like there'll be some shuffling around.
They HAVE to be moving Naruto back. Putting anything after Shippuden at this point other than a vintage AS show (like Stand Alone Complex) is absolute death.

One Piece and Shippuden should have swapped places months and months ago.

Regiruler

Uncut uncut? I thought the base form of the anime cut stuff from the manga, you can't really uncut that.
They HAVE to be moving Naruto back. Putting anything after Shippuden at this point other than a vintage AS show (like Stand Alone Complex) is absolute death.

One Piece and Shippuden should have swapped places months and months ago.

Naruto is simply more popular in the west. I really don't think swapping would do anything.

Moaradin

To be fair, Tokyo Ghoul actually has good source material. It's Studio Pierrot that fucks it up. Akame ga Kill was rotten to its core.

Tokyo Ghoul's anime is so terrible lol. It's popular at least, I guess.

at least Naruto is likely on thin ice at this point

Naruto has frequently gotten ratings on par with HxH and even better every once in a while. It ain't going anywhere any time soon.

Funimation Now is the best deal of any streaming service I subscribe to and the only one I didn't drop for a bit to build up my entertainment budget for the Switch.

It's quite simply the best service available for dubbed anime and its also very reasonably priced.

Funimation honestly should just star Simuldubbing One Piece. It, my Hero Academia, and Attack on Titan are their biggest draws so they should be taking advantage of it since Toonami won't be airing it anymore after tomorrow.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm guessing the new schedule will be:

Jack
Super
DBZ Final Chapters
Jojo/Tokyo Ghoul
Tokyo Ghoul/Jojo
Unicron
HxH
Naruto Slowpudden
GitS:SAC

TBH, not even mad. Yes, One Piece was about to enter one of its big arcs, but it's easy enough to find dubbed, and it was slow paced in the anime anyway. And it was only going to get slower after.

This offers more room for a wider variety of shows which will be nice. Hopefully after the Pain arc, Naruto follows suite.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Uncut uncut? I thought the base form of the anime cut stuff from the manga, you can't really uncut that.

Naruto is simply more popular in the west. I really don't think swapping would do anything.

Take a look at Naruto's ratings. They're not good, especially if we're using One Piece's ratings as a "needs to be kicked off the air" threshold. Naruto was basically treading water right above that (which is why One Piece's numbers have been doomed for a while now).

Mizerman

I don't know much about Tokyo Ghoul. Akame ga Kill comparisons are probably the quickest way to lose my interest haha.

At least it's FUNimation and not Sentai though.

Eh, it's the anime version of Tokyo Ghoul that wasn't very good. The manga blows AgK (both versions) out of the water without even trying.

Take a look at Naruto's ratings. They're not good, especially if we're using One Piece's ratings as a "needs to be kicked off the air" threshold. Naruto was basically treading water right above that (which is why One Piece's numbers have been doomed for a while now).

Shippuden's ratings has pretty much been close to HxH's though. Using that as the basis, Hunter Hunter would also "be in danger."

ckohler

My expectations for Tokyo Ghoul are low. I get are real "generic anime" vibe from it. It burns that One Piece is gone but it burns even more for it to be replaced by something so mediocre looking.

The only single plus to loosing One Piece is we get more chances for premiers. But why'd it have to be One Piece?! :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Losing HxH anytime before the end of its run would suck. This is the worldwide premiere of the dub and so far ahead of the disc release its not funny.

One Piece on Toonami meanwhile is almost three years behind the dub.

HxH's doing "fine" but not spectacular compared to some past lineups we've had.

And Shippuden's ratings has consistently been around the same levels as HxH. People just straight up tune out for One Piece. It was apparently a few months ago when the One Punch Man reruns were getting better ratings.

Tenumi

Banned
TBH, not even mad. Yes, One Piece was about to enter one of its big arcs, but it's easy enough to find dubbed, and it was slow paced in the anime anyway. And it was only going to get slower after.

This offers more room for a wider variety of shows which will be nice. Hopefully after the Pain arc, Naruto follows suite.

Yeah, this is kinda my reaction as well. Sure, it hurts. But to have a show with no end in sight versus another slot for rotating new shows, I think I'd take the rotating slot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like OPM a lot but man, not a show that holds up well in frequent re runs. Didn't help that TOONAMI basically showed the whole thing 2 1/2 times in one year.

Seda

I'm guessing the new schedule will be:

Jack
Super
DBZ Final Chapters
Jojo/Tokyo Ghoul
Tokyo Ghoul/Jojo
Unicron
HxH
Naruto Slowpudden
GitS:SAC

Yeah I wonder if they'll put Tokyo Ghoul in front of Jojo, as Jojo's ratings don't live up to what One Punch Man's did. Tokyo Ghoul's wont either, mind.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My understanding of Tokyo Ghoul:

- it's popular with teens, like with my little sister who collects the manga (which it'll be interesting to see if she'll care about watching it)
- the manga is actually alright
- the anime kind of "dumbs"/tones down some stuff, but the first season is okay
- 2nd season was bad

But I guess to look at this from a more positive light, this could mean we now have another premiere slot & not as many "long running Jump" shows.

....wait, Tokyo Ghoul is part of Young Jump, a spin-off of Shonen Jump, & is basically Seinen Jump.....& ran in the same magazine as other stuff like Himōto! Umaru-chan, Minamoto-kun Monogatari, Terra Formers, B Gata H Kei, Elfen Lied, & Gantz....okay, then.

Though I wonder if Tokyo Ghoul will take 12:30 or 1 a.m. I feel like 1:30 would be a bit too late for an anime that premiered in 2014.

Now, friends, buck up. We all need to look on the bright side here.

Maybe this means we can finally replace the One Piece slot with Fairy Tail.

iTwKhF.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah I wonder if they'll put Tokyo Ghoul in front of Jojo, as Jojo's ratings don't live up to what One Punch Man's did. Tokyo Ghoul's wont either, mind.

TG was very popular. Remember how sky high AGK's ratings were for those first few weeks? Might do that again.

TG was very popular. Remember how sky high AGK's ratings were for those first few weeks? Might do that again.

I know it still is one of the better selling manga in the west along with OPM and AoT.

I wouldn't be surprised if it premiers ahead of JoJo since Demarco has mentioned before that it's been one of the most requested anime for the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom