• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't really considering things like Attack on Titan S2 or future SAO because those seem like givens but don't exist yet.

I had forgotten about Blue Exorcist S2 (and most of the 1st season too).

Attack On Titan s2 starts next month in Japan I think the chance of a simuldub is extremely likely

Also most of blue exorcist s1 was filler so you forgot mostly stuff that isn't relevant

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I will say this, I do remember people saying Tokyo Ghoul got a good dub.

One of the main characters if voiced by Brina Palencia, and I always enjoy her work.

Funimation doesn't half ass their dubs for big shows. Probably their least impressive recent big show dub was AoT season one, which was still perfectly serviceable.

TheChits

I enjoyed the Tokyo Ghoul manga, but the anime......
wtzgU.gif

Moaradin

I'm interested in seeing how much Stardust Crusaders holds up on rewatch. Probably not that favorably tbh. It's pretty slow and the Part 4 anime improves on the format so much.

So, I am lightly familiar with anime/manga but not really. Now that Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, and now Tokyo Ghoul will air on Toonami, what are some existing shows that make sense for the block that we could see in the future?

I know Psycho Pass was a thing at one point in time. More recently there's Mob Psycho which is pretty well praised.

I do think it has to be a pretty widely popular shonen to have a chance on Toonami.

My Hero Academia could be a possibility since the first season is already dubbed I believe. Though that would only be thirteen episodes currently (Episode 14/Season 2 comes out in April in Japan) and they might wait on that to get more episodes and get them dubbed. It was the one that immediately popped into my head, even though I haven't checked it out yet.

Other possibilities could be Gundam Wing HD, Mob Psycho 100, and Lupin III Part 4.

Other obvious ones could be next seasons of past shows like Attack on Titan, Iron Blooded Orphans, and Blue Exorcist.

Soul Eater Not! would have been a possibility I would consider listing as a potential show, but I don't think the show is very action-y from what I heard of it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mob Psycho 100, Lupin III Part 4, My Hero Academia, Iron-Blooded Orphans S2, Blue Exorcist S2

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

And of course Jojo Parts 3 and 4. :)

From Sentai Filmworks the likes of Ushio and Tora and Rin-ne are some potential maybe selections.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm interested in seeing how much Stardust Crusaders holds up on rewatch. Probably not that favorably tbh. It's pretty slow and the Part 4 anime improves on the format so much.
As a group & with those who haven't seen it, it'll still make for a great group watch.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I like to see Part 3 as sort of the "introductory" part similar to Phantom Blood, where it's more about setting things up, then the part that follows afterwards improves on said things by making it more bonkers, i.e. how Part 2 just went nuts with what Hamon could do & giving us even more insane enemies.

Eureka Seven AO is another possibility.

I don't think I would watch it though...

I've heard bad things about it and Eureka Seven is one of my favorite anime of all time.

Also, Full Metal Panic might be a possibility, but I don't know... I would definitely re-watch it if it came on Toonami.

Moaradin

Eureka 7 AO is the worst anime I've ever seen. I don't even think I could sit through it on Toonami for a hate watch. I just despise it that much.

Though it is from Rumiko Takahashi so that is a factor.

Thats the only reason I sat through season 1, there's barely any action and the bit that doesn't happen is 100% gag action. I just don't see them picking it up especially when it seems to be a show that hasn't found any traction with western fans.

These post also remind me I need to finish part 4 of jojo, maybe the final 3rd of the show redeems it but after like 18-19 episodes I ended up not bothering to catch up with it. Technically its the best the jojo anime has even been but story wise its easily the worst of the 4 series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still haven't gotten around to hate watching Astral Ocean. I watched some bad/mediocre/surprisingly good Gundam instead and finished some half finished shows I had.

Yeah, I heard how bad it was and I have avoided it like the plague since I love E7 so much.

This is me, except I want to hurt myself apparently.

Eureka Seven AO feels like it was made by people who didn't watch the first anime.

Didn't watch it at all.

I've never seen a show that actively shits on the previous series like AO does.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eureka Seven AO feels like it was made by people who didn't watch the first anime.

Didn't watch it at all.

Granted I've never seen E7:AO but what it sounds like to me is this:

What if the people who hated on Chrono Cross were actually right about it shitting on Chrono Trigger's memory.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't speak to DRRR but I can't imagine CG doing any worse then Gundam has done on the block.

CG got put into the 5am death slot on ASA, as did DRRR. Gundam isn't doing that bad.

CG did unexpectedly bad considering how hot it was in the anime world at the time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
CG got put into the 5am death slot on ASA, as did DRRR. Gundam isn't doing that bad.

CG did unexpectedly bad considering how hot it was in the anime world at the time.

Adult Swim like Cartoon Network was in a bad place during that time period.

Mizerman

Didn't watch it at all.

Worse if they turn out to be fans of the original and still churned...that.

Seda

I'm looking up artwork for Tokyo Ghoul (for a banner) and I'm certain I've never seen this before at all. I can't even quite tell which art is official and what is fanart because I don't know what the style is supposed to be. Pretty much any other show on the block I kinda knew what it looked like even if I wasn't familiar with it, but Tokyo Ghoul is the exception for now.

Man, this fucking sucks beyond words. One Piece deserves so much better than this and so do the VAs working on it. Anime DVD sales are in the shitter as is and at least like this all the cast got residuals. And now we won't even get to see the upcoming arc. Fuck, I am bummed out.

Regiruler

One Piece: March 18
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: April 22
Samurai Jack (Season 5): May 13
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096: June 3
Tokyo Ghoul: September 2
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: July 29 (1st season), January 27, 2018 (2nd GIG)
Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters: March 3, 2018
Hunter x Hunter: March 23, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: ┐(ツ)┌
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA.... :(

It's just not the same without the one-two.
I'm looking up artwork for Tokyo Ghoul (for a banner) and I'm certain I've never seen this before at all. I can't even quite tell which art is official and what is fanart because I don't know what the style is supposed to be. Pretty much any other show on the block I kinda knew what it looked like even if I wasn't familiar with it, but Tokyo Ghoul is the exception for now.

This one seems official:
64449l.jpg

Not wide enough for a banner though, but stylistically it'd make a good one if it had the appropriate dimensions.

Wow, this is fucking bullshit.

Up and cancelled One Piece RIGHT BEFORE THE BEST ARC IN THE ENTIRE SHOW.

I didn't think ratings were a big problem due to DeMarco's comments before about the full ratings data not being disclosed to the public.
But now....this is the worse case scenario.

In hindsight, not starting from Episode 1 was a big mistake. I don't know why they listened to a vocal minority and premiered OP at episode 207.

Crocodile

Wow, this is fucking bullshit.

Up and cancelled One Piece RIGHT BEFORE THE BEST ARC IN THE ENTIRE SHOW.

I didn't think ratings were a big problem due to DeMarco's comments before about the full ratings data not being disclosed to the public.
But now....this is the worse case scenario.

In hindsight, not starting from Episode 1 was a big mistake. I don't know why they listened to a vocal minority and premiered OP at episode 207.

I mean the show probably would've been cancelled long before it reached Thriller Bark if it started at Episode 1 I feel. In general I think there is no escaping the fact that OP inherently appeals less to your average Western anime fan AND it got permanently handicapped by its 4kids premiere.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait One Piece is seriously going away? For what?
Tokyo Ghoul, though it sounds like it could premiere earlier in the night.

Also, imagine if we ended OP two weeks ago, with the whole "BROOK IS OFFICIALLY JOINING OUR CREW" but then we never saw Brook...ya know, being part of the crew & having adventures with them.

Thats the only reason I sat through season 1, there's barely any action and the bit that doesn't happen is 100% gag action. I just don't see them picking it up especially when it seems to be a show that hasn't found any traction with western fans.

These post also remind me I need to finish part 4 of jojo, maybe the final 3rd of the show redeems it but after like 18-19 episodes I ended up not bothering to catch up with it. Technically its the best the jojo anime has even been but story wise its easily the worst of the 4 series.

yeah i would recommend finishing it.

I mean the show probably would've been cancelled long before it reached Thriller Bark if it started at Episode 1 I feel. In general I think there is no escaping the fact that OP inherently appeals less to your average Western anime fan AND it got permanently handicapped by its 4kids premiere.

Based on what? Speculation?

Yes, 4Kids really hurt One Piece's image in North America, but that was over ten years ago.
It doesn't help that newcomers were shunned away by a bunch of half-hearted attempts to tell them to "watch the first 206 episodes on your own time".
And Funi made those godawful "recap" videos of like three arcs. Ffs

Regiruler

One Piece is the Hillary Clinton of Toonami. You know it's better but there are some pretensions that prevent it from appealing to the common viewer.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Probably also didn't help we had the damn Davy Back Games arc, which in all honesty, did little to advance the story & was dragged out even more thanks to Toei.

I mean, I get it's the arc after Skypiea, which is where they were originally, & THANK GOD they decided to not begin there, but being so far behind compared to where the series is now probably played a role.

So, I am lightly familiar with anime/manga but not really. Now that Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, and now Tokyo Ghoul will air on Toonami, what are some existing shows that make sense for the block that we could see in the future?

I know Psycho Pass was a thing at one point in time. More recently there's Mob Psycho which is pretty well praised.

I do think it has to be a pretty widely popular shonen to have a chance on Toonami.

I'd say the most popular series from the past decade that fits Toonami's criteria would probably be:
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront
  • Drifters
  • Fate/Zero
  • Log Horizon
  • Lupin the Third Part IV
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • My Hero Academia
  • Psycho Pass

There's also Unlimited Blade Works, Magi and Seven Deadly Sins, but I'm pretty sure Netflix got exclusive rights to those dubs.

If they pull a Samurai Champloo and do another "older" series, Code Geass would definitely be a prime pick considering the third season will be airing in Japan later this year.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fate/Zero's hour long "PLOT PLOT PLOT EXPOSITION PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT EXPOSITION EXPOSITION PLOT PLOT EXPOSITION EXPOSITION" first episode would probably turn off a lot of viewers. Hell, from what I've seen, even fans agree the first episode is awful with how much it tries to throw at you at once.

Log Horizon feels like it should've aired by now, but probably would get people whining at Demarco with "omg y u no show moar SAO yet u show this ripoff waaaaaaah"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom