• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

If there is a silver lining to all this it is we only have 1 or 2 if you really want to add HxH "endless" shounen on the block which gives us more room for new shows to hit the block.

Mik317

I would have been pissed a few years ago but eh. The anime starts to drag heavy beyond this point and having more rotating shows is for the best.

Tokyo Ghoul Manga has been neat up to where I am at but apparently it shits itself...so that will be "fun" i guess.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would have been pissed a few years ago but eh. The anime starts to drag heavy beyond this point and having more rotating shows is for the best.

Tokyo Ghoul Manga has been neat up to where I am at but apparently it shits itself...so that will be "fun" i guess.

The next arc is probably the best paced one in the series, easily since Alabasta.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
And Shippuden's ratings has consistently been around the same levels as HxH. People just straight up tune out for One Piece. It was apparently a few months ago when the One Punch Man reruns were getting better ratings.

There's a few things to unpack here.

1) 3 am (and sometimes 3:30) is a weird slot. It sometimes has weird ratings anomalies. West Coasters with access to the east coast feed may be tuning in at midnight their time to watch something they particularly want to see (such as, for example, One Punch Man's finale), and some late stragglers are coming home from bars and things like that around then too, so on rare occasions you sometimes actually have some new audience members coming in, as opposed to the attrition the rest of the night experiences. I remember there was one time way back in the day (we're talking like a decade ago) that the 3 am airing of Samurai Champloo actually came in with the highest ratings of the night. Rare and unusual, but not unprecedented.

2) There are two possible explanations here: 1) that Naruto is maintaining the audience for a little while but having them tune out near the end, resulting in an average rating that isn't too far down from HXH but with a much smaller surviving audience for One Piece to begin with, OR 2) that One Piece is actually starting with a decent sized audience held over from Naruto but losing that audience drastically during the course of its run to the point that its average rating is way down. This explanation isn't very plausible, though, because GITS's numbers (and One Punch Man's before it and Parasyte before it) are very similar to One Piece's, meaning One Piece's audience was likely pretty stable if the audience going into the next show is close to its average numbers over the course of its broadcast. If One Piece was losing huge numbers of viewers from the start of its broadcast, the surviving audience would be MUCH lower than its average rating, and you would likely see that reflected in much worse ratings in the show that followed it. A pattern that, by the way, Naruto is clearly following.

I joked about removing OP a few times, but sorry for the fans of it.

I've heard the name Tokyo Ghoul but never seen anything about it.

Worried about what the schedule will be, and worried about the future of HxH and later JoJo seasons, if OPM and DBZ are setting rating standards that things are being measured against to keep running mid way through :/.

Does anyone have any tips for the Live Simulcast? It worked once upon a time but for the past couple of weeks, it's been stuck in endless rotating wheel mode. The cartoon network live stream still works, oddly enough, just not adult swim's.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ratings not being the whole story is a half truth considering the next thing he brought up would be that it cost too much to air after a repeat, which wouldn't be necessary if the ratings were better.

One Piece was always snake bitten over here and I'm just glad it got another decent run on TV. Thankfully the anime still does great DVD sales for Funimation and they put that stuff up pretty much right away on the streaming side.
Sorry if this has been answered already.

Tokyo Ghoul starts on March 18 or March 25?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the backdoor schedules, it looks like it's the 25th. One Piece is on the 18th's schedule, but Toonami is missing from the 25th's. The AS shows before and after Toonami are there.

Seda

One Piece: March 18
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: April 22
Samurai Jack (Season 5): May 13
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096: June 3
Tokyo Ghoul: September 2
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: July 29 (1st season), January 27, 2018 (2nd GIG)
Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters: March 3, 2018
Hunter x Hunter: March 23, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: ┐(ツ)┌
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA.... :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think we'll have a 4th of July marathon since this year, July 1st falls on a Saturday?

I know we'll have a Memorial Day marathon since last year, it was Samurai Champloo, & Kill la Kill a previous year.

Think we'll have a 4th of July marathon since this year, July 1st falls on a Saturday?

I know we'll have a Memorial Day marathon since last year, it was Samurai Champloo, & Kill la Kill a previous year.

We for sure will have a marathon then, one will be a tokyo ghoul marathon the other maybe a Samurai Jack marathon?

BBboy20

One Piece: March 18
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: April 22
Samurai Jack (Season 5): May 13
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096: June 3
Tokyo Ghoul: September 2
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: July 29 (1st season), January 27, 2018 (2nd GIG)
Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters: March 3, 2018
Hunter x Hunter: March 23, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: ┐(ツ)┌
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA.... :(
I never thought I would miss the infinite laughter...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think Tokyo Ghoul would end on Sept. 9th if we count the Memorial Day marathon, or the 16th if we have one for 4th of July.

Sucks that One Piece is getting kicked off, but I don't mind a new rotating slot for shows since we already have a bunch of long running shows (DBS, HxH, Shippuden). I would rather it have been Shippuden than One Piece, but I understand.

I've read the manga of Tokyo Ghoul and it was pretty good until it got toward the ending as that felt rushed as hell (come to find out, a sequel ended up coming out,Tokyo Ghoul:re, but I never really read it), but I heard that the second season of Tokyo Ghoul gets pretty bad compared to the manga material.

I only watched 1 episode of TG, I liked the premise enough but the censorship ruined it for me and its a show that screamed "watch in English" so I am excited to see it. Also to be somewhat selfish as someone who can't watch live anymore and mostly catches up via dvr having new shows (or new to me anime versions) is far more exciting then seeing stuff I've seen before.

Seda

So, I am lightly familiar with anime/manga but not really. Now that Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, and now Tokyo Ghoul will air on Toonami, what are some existing shows that make sense for the block that we could see in the future?

I know Psycho Pass was a thing at one point in time. More recently there's Mob Psycho which is pretty well praised.

I do think it has to be a pretty widely popular shonen to have a chance on Toonami.

As much deserved flak the Tokyo Ghoul anime gets, I actually don't think the manga is great either.

At least not its sequel/direct continuation, Tokyo Ghoul:re. The story just keeps going and going, with no real focus or aim. Characters are introduced seemingly just to die only to return later just fine in a shocking revelations. Fights fly by with no real impact.

I mean hey maybe with Daylight Savings this is still okay for JoJo and HxH (by my standards for a decent amount of people to watch those)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So, I am lightly familiar with anime/manga but not really. Now that Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, and now Tokyo Ghoul will air on Toonami, what are some existing shows that make sense for the block that we could see in the future?

I know Psycho Pass was a thing at one point in time. More recently there's Mob Psycho which is pretty well praised.

I do think it has to be a pretty widely popular shonen to have a chance on Toonami.

Mob Psycho 100, Lupin III Part 4, My Hero Academia, Iron-Blooded Orphans S2, Blue Exorcist S2

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

And of course Jojo Parts 3 and 4. :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Lupin the 3rd returning seems like an idea that DeMarco wants to fulfill eventually, especially with the newer one.

Maybe Escaflowne since there's the new HD version with a new dub, allowing them to finally air it after all these years of Fox getting it instead but with a very re-edited version.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

There's actually very little left in the no brainer department. My Hero Academia and Mob but who knows what their deal is regarding streaming exclusivity. Attack on Titan 2 I'd imagine, might even get close to being a simuldub. After that we'd need to go back in time a bit. Maybe something truly awful like Asterisk War.

Moaradin

After this, I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami just drops Shippuden at some point for Boruto tbh. I think it's clear at this point that they don't really care that much about continuity and would rather go for the new hotness.

Mob Psycho 100, Lupin III Part 4, My Hero Academia, Iron-Blooded Orphans S2, Blue Exorcist S2

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

And of course Jojo Parts 3 and 4. :)

Lupin the 3rd returning seems like an idea that DeMarco wants to fulfill eventually, especially with the newer one.

Maybe Escaflowne since there's the new HD version with a new dub, allowing them to finally air it after all these years of Fox getting it instead but with a very re-edited version.

Everyone kees forgetting attack on titan s2, that's gonna get fast tracked onto the block regardless of what it has to kick out

Seda

Everyone kees forgetting attack on titan s2, that's gonna get fast tracked onto the block regardless of what it has to kick out

I wasn't really considering things like Attack on Titan S2 or future SAO because those seem like givens but don't exist yet.

I had forgotten about Blue Exorcist S2 (and most of the 1st season too).

I will say this, I do remember people saying Tokyo Ghoul got a good dub.

One of the main characters if voiced by Brina Palencia, and I always enjoy her work.

Mizerman

I think it's more of the fact that we pretty much know that Attack on Titan S2 is gonna find a way on Toonami one day. There's little doubt on that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom