• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not gonna lie, I think it might've been worse if it started at episode 1. Sure, they did that with Naruto & once could argue they could've done the whole "uncut" promoting, but again, even where we started, we were YEARS behind. Hell, would we even have been at the Davy Back Fight arc if we started at episode 1, let alone Skypiea?

If they REALLY wanted to persuade tv viewers to pick up the DVDs or subscribe to Funimation streaming, then they should have canceled One Piece after Sabaody.

Ending it here is basically letting the viewer think "Oh, it got dropped after that little spa island adventure. Whatever."

Fate/Zero's hour long "PLOT PLOT PLOT EXPOSITION PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT EXPOSITION EXPOSITION PLOT PLOT EXPOSITION EXPOSITION" first episode would probably turn off a lot of viewers. Hell, from what I've seen, even fans agree the first episode is awful with how much it tries to throw at you at once.

We've survived Unicorn so far. lol

Moaradin

I don't think anybody expected One Piece to stay here forever. Hell, One Piece could outlast Toonami at this point. But they definitely picked the worst time to kick it off.

I've vented enough. I've made peace with this decision, for better or worse. It just means I can go to bed after HxH.

And to all the stoner nite owls who didn't even bother to give One Piece a chance:

C6mcUWfU0AAULqN.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol imagine if they stopped after the "end" of the next arc. Actual spoilers:
LOL KUMA PAW-PAWED EVERYONE INCLUDING LUFFY & THEY'RE GONE/POSSIBLY DEAD, THE END, TIME FOR A NEW SHOW!

Also craaaaaaaaap all the characters we're not gonna meet now. Would've LOVED to watch it & laugh at imagining how 4Kids would've handled stuff like
Amazon Lily arc

Tokyo Ghoul, though it sounds like it could premiere earlier in the night.

Also, imagine if we ended OP two weeks ago, with the whole "BROOK IS OFFICIALLY JOINING OUR CREW" but then we never saw Brook...ya know, being part of the crew & having adventures with them.

Welp. Not watching Toonami past DBZ Kai then.

Maybe they should cancel every other show and just fill up the slots with OG Dragon Ball, OG DBZ Funi dub, DBZ Ocean dub, and GT.

I mean, that's where we're headed right?

That's why we have double Dragon Ball, because that's all AS viewers care about , right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've vented enough. I've made peace with this decision, for better or worse. It just means I can go to bed after HxH.

And to all the stoner nite owls who didn't even bother to give One Piece a chance:

C6mcUWfU0AAULqN.jpg

I'm so pissed we're not going to get to see Duvall. The thread would have fucking died laughing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
We got almost 180 episodes (177 or 178 to be exact), I guess you could say they more than gave it a fair shot considering it lasted almost 4 years on the block.

Still probably wasn't a good idea to say there was going to be "fun" news when the actual news is "HEY WE'RE CANCELLING A SHOW".

He literally dropped to his knees with laughter.

While not-so-literally being dead

I wonder if Dr. Chaotix heard this & how he's reacting to it/how he will react to it

Not gonna lie I myself am pretty miffed. If it weren't for One Piece I probably wouldn't be on this forum or remotely be into anime right now

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Heard the news at work. Had to contain my rage. But now I've calmed down and weighed out all the positives and negatives.

Though I'm a massive One Piece fan, the anime has gone downhill considerably. Especially once it got to Dressrosa and somehow managed to have more episodes than manga chapters (102 chapters, 118 episodes, and only one was filler). However, I imagine Funimation's sharp writing and excellent cast would have improved the 2 and a half year experience considerably. Think about all the quotable lines we had during Thriller Bark.
Yeah, cutting before Sabaody was a major mistake. We got Camie, Duval, the Supernovas, the Celestial Dragons, Rayleigh, Kizaru, and
the big separation

Let's be real though, airing it at 2:30 EST (1:30 Central) didn't help. Putting it after Shippuden, which is essentially Ambien in TV form, reaaaally didn't help. I have no idea what Naruto fans see in it. One Piece needs a HxH style do-over badly, but Naruto needs it even more, especially now that it's over. Speaking of, Seda might need to replace that "hahaha" with a date soon. It's looking like Shippuden is coming to an end in Japan.

At least Demarco kept the possibility open of bringing it back. A small one, but a possibility.

Still, if you're going to remove & replace the world's most popular manga/anime with something, make sure it's good. Instead you do Tokyo Ghoul, which sounds like a mess. Any idea if it's censored? i know the Japanese TV broadcast got hit hard but was it restored for the Blu-Ray/English Dub?
I should get to reading the manga.

Grexeno

Heard the news at work. Had to contain my rage. But now I've calmed down and weighed out all the positives and negatives.

Though I'm a massive One Piece fan, the anime has gone downhill considerably. Especially once it got to Dressrosa and somehow managed to have more episodes than manga chapters (102 chapters, 118 episodes, and only one was filler). However, I imagine Funimation's sharp writing and excellent cast would have improved the 2 and a half year experience considerably. Think about all the quotable lines we had during Thriller Bark.
Yeah, cutting before Sabaody was a major mistake. We got Camie, Duval, the Supernovas, the Celestial Dragons, Rayleigh, Kizaru, and
the big separation

Let's be real though, airing it at 2:30 EST (1:30 Central) didn't help. Putting it after Shippuden, which is essentially Ambien in TV form, reaaaally didn't help. I have no idea what Naruto fans see in it. One Piece needs a HxH style do-over badly, but Naruto needs it even more, especially now that it's over. Speaking of, Seda might need to replace that "hahaha" with a date soon. It's looking like Shippuden is coming to an end in Japan.

At least Demarco kept the possibility open of bringing it back. A small one, but a possibility.

Still, if you're going to remove & replace the world's most popular manga/anime with something, make sure it's good. Instead you do Tokyo Ghoul, which sounds like a mess. Any idea if it's censored? i know the Japanese TV broadcast got hit hard but was it restored for the Blu-Ray/English Dub?
I should get to reading the manga.
Tokyo Ghoul will air uncut. Whatever that means is to be seen.

It would be hilarious if One Piece's ratings spike right before they cancel it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
DeMarco said it'd be "uncut" so I'm guessing no censors from the Japanese broadcasting like how we got Jojo uncut.

Also, watch as One Piece gets more viewers as a sort-of protest against the show leaving.

But yeah, despite the fact this means we've got another premiere slot, if it was, say, Mob Psycho 100 that was coming in a few weeks, I think we would've been more forgiving, but Tokyo Ghoul, despite the fact it seems to make it as part of the top 5 most requested shows, kind of makes the news harder to take. Especially when Shippuden is considered much worse, yet it still gets to hang around.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tokyo Ghoul is Hellsing-level violent for those who haven't seen it.

That's a silver lining, along with being a Funimation dub.
If the replacement was a Sentai show, I'd be extra angry.

Oh god, imagine if it was Fairy Tail. Thankfully that ship has long sailed. I doubt even Funimation's stellar writing and cast could save that.

The only silver-lining of this news is that it means there's a chance Shippuden is also on the chopping block next.
The ratings for Shippuden and OP have been pretty close for the past few months.

I was naive enough to think that One Piece was finally getting its due in the States with the Film Gold limited theater run, the consistent localization of video games, and the push of a weekly slot on Toonami.

I'm not naive enough now to believe it's coming back. One Piece is done on American television.

Mizerman

Oh god, imagine if it was Fairy Tail. Thankfully that ship has long sailed. I doubt even Funimation's stellar writing and cast could save that.

I would've been bored overtime if Fairy Tail showed up on Toonami

The dub itself is good. Where TG kind of falls apart is how Studio Pierrot went about adapting it. It tries to cram 100+ worth of content from the manga into just 24 episodes. So a lot of stuff gets either gets rushed or just left out completely.

Ultratech

Just read the news for OP....

Apathetic+guy+_8485667f0181aaac61b7bd682fdbba52.gif

That totally sucks.

Though even I must admit I've been missing quite a few OP episodes just because it airs so late.

Just saw the One Piece news, that's a bummer...

...but I guess now I can safely binge watch ahead!

It certainly seems that, coming off Demarco's tweets, they really don't want to do this, but they were overruled.

Hey, they gave OP four years. Without Toonami picking it up, I probably never would have marathoned the show in the first place and really enjoyed the adventures of the Straw Hat Pirates and watching some great arcs with the thread.

And if the show that replaces it isn't to my liking, hey, more sleep time!

cntr

Banned
whoa, that's certainly news to wake up to

I'm not actually too bothered, tbh. Yeah it's going to suck that we'll miss the next arc, but I wasn't super into how the anime does One Piece anyway. It probably bumped up against renewal. They'll probably drop Naruto too when its renewal comes up, too.

From what I know, Tokyo Ghoul's manga is pretty good, but the anime is generic as fuck and pretty dumbed down. As in, the main character is literally an idiot compared to the manga, it's baffling.

We're definitely getting Mob soon, and bets on My Hero Academia airing after S2 in Japan. And I wouldn't worry too much about Stardust Crusaders, it's pretty much an ideal group watch show. Like, remember what people said about Phantom Blood? Same thing.

Now that the next One Piece arc isn't airing, I suppose I'll point out now the bizarre fact that both One Piece and Rave (Master) introduce mermaids with talking starfish companions that become major supporting characters for the arc, in Camie and Celia respectively. Celia was introduced in Rave back in 2004, which is definitely before Camie was given a speaking role in One Piece, but possibly after Camie appeared in a One Piece cover side story?

Camie is a fun supporting character, but Celia knew water magic and had a fight that I recall being neat. I don't know, I haven't read the Rave manga in a long time. Oddly enough, Celia's starfish ends up accompanying the Rave crew, but purely for gags where they go, "Wait, why are you still here?!"

zulux21

so one piece being removed sucks...

double sucks with it getting replaced with a garbage tier show :/

oh well, it will likely do alright on toonami, but seriously do yourselves a favor and when you get tired of how stupid the main character is, and how stupid the plot is in general... go read the manga.

I'm not really a Manga > anime person, but they completely botched the anime adaption of tokyo ghoul to the point where they are basically different genre :/

the actual manga is a decent read... the anime is full of stupid.

Log Horizon despite being the vastly better series has much working against it via the Toonami audience unfortunately.

SAO > Log horizon, but both are enjoyable watches :p

Regiruler

squishing eyeball/eating babies level of gore?

And I'd rather take the brunt of One Piece's pacing and filler over Shippuden's. Fuck. That. Shit!

Ripping/destroying fingers
is a used torture tactic.
And the person who does it also does it to himself, constantly

zulux21

The dub itself is good. Where TG kind of falls apart is how Studio Pierrot went about adapting it. It tries to cram 100+ worth of content from the manga into just 24 episodes. So a lot of stuff gets either gets rushed or just left out completely.

nah... the major problem was that they
tried to take a non shonen series and turn the main character into a generic shonen hero :/

i guess i will spoiler it even though it doesn't really say much.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah, I know. Comparisons with SAO will exist as soon as a hypothetical promo showed up.

Indeed and Log Horizon was never a show known for its production values. Also, it moves at a slower pace and doesn't really get good until about the third arc. Also, even for Sentai Filmworks the dub is just BAD!

zulux21

thinking about things though, this has a chance of being a good thing for one piece.

I know a while back they were asking people on if they should make one piece a broadcast dub.

the series just ended an arc in the anime, and is in a filler arc, and timing wise would be a really good time to start up a broadcast dub.

If they did end up doing that sure it would suck for the people who have like 300 episodes to catch up on but at the same time it also means that after 5 years or so the series might actually be fully dubbed up to what is airing.

here's hoping for an announcement there, but I mean worst case they are still dubbing it at a good clip on dvd releases.

cntr

Banned
The specific example I was given:

In the Tokyo Ghoul manga,
the main character's told not to meet this dude because he's evil, meets the dude, tries to walk away, but gets forced to go with him at gunpoint. He's then offered food, refuses since it might be poisoned, but gets knocked out by having gas sprayed in his face.

In the anime version of that scene,
the main character's told not to meet this dude because he's evil, meets the dude, goes with him anyway, and then blithely eats the drugged food and is knocked unconscious.

It really does feel like they tried to "shounenify" a seinen manga.

zulux21

The specific example I was given:

In the Tokyo Ghoul manga,
the main character's told not to meet this dude because he's evil, meets the dude, tries to walk away, but gets forced to go with him at gunpoint. He's then offered food, refuses since it might be poisoned, but gets knocked out by having gas sprayed in his face.

In the anime version of that scene,
the main character's told not to meet this dude because he's evil, meets the dude, goes with him anyway, and then blithely eats the drugged food and is knocked unconscious.

It really does feel like they tried to "shounenify" a seinen manga.

yup that was the scene where I had to go read the manga to see if it was true that the main character wasn't nearly as stupid in the manga... and yeah... he isn't.

I actually like the main character in the manga.
in the anime I am rooting for any passing car to take him out... he is such a horrible main character @_@

but I think sword art online is better than log horizon so what do I know.

cntr

Banned
By the way, from the manga general:
Apparently on the cover (featuring Fuuka) of the upcoming issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine, there's a notice that basically says
"Shocking! In the anime, Fuuka survived! Seo Kouji explains why inside!"

cntr

Banned
I wonder if should just spend the 30 minutes Tokyo Ghoul is on reading the manga instead.

So, I am lightly familiar with anime/manga but not really. Now that Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, and now Tokyo Ghoul will air on Toonami, what are some existing shows that make sense for the block that we could see in the future?
Mob Psycho and Stardust Crusaders are guaranteed. I'd say Lupin the Third and My Hero Academia are pretty much guaranteed, too.

Attack on Titan S2 and Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 are going to happen, and maybe Code Geass S3 eventually? Kinda doubt it and Blue Exorcist S2, though. Getting into guessing, I could see them picking up Blood Blockade Battlefront and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. They could air Gundam Wing HD, but since Hulu nabbed that, I could see them opting for G Gundam HD instead.

...I'm really suprised nobody ever suggests Kabaneri, actually? It's basically Attack on Titan but good, Funimation has the rights, and they could even do a dub premier.

Line_HTX

Well, damn... They are actually going to take One Piece off the air. Man God's non-canon ways have triumphed with the ratings.

;P

Sorry, Imperial Bishop, B-Dubs, and Grexeno.

Bio-Frost

Ugh, this made me get a funimation sub. Not thay i wasnt for it. Just loved watching once piece on toonami.Guess im just marathoning all they have dubbed since they seem to be quite a bit farther than i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom