• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I know what happens.
Serious question, have you enjoyed any of Bleach, period? Maybe the property just isn't for you. I mean, I agree that
the Fullbringer arc ends on a stupid note
but from your posts on Bleach it seems like you think this arc (and every other one we've suffered through on the new toonami) has no redeeming qualities, only negatives. I'm probably the biggest Bleach fan in toonami gaf but can admit that the show reaches mind numbing levels of stupidity on the regular. However, each arc in my opinion has some redeeming qualities, nothing is truly that bad.

I feel the same way about pretty much every anime series in general, even SAO. It had some good moments to go along with a mountain of bad ones. Maybe I'm just a glass half full type of person.

LOLDSFAN

So I watched the OP for AoT. It's alright I guess but if I had a choice to see speeches, music videos, promos, etc... Then I'd pick that. Seeing something new every week is better than seeing the same thing 25 times.

With Black Lagoon, I haven't really been a fan of Revy because I felt that she was too loud, insensitive and rude. I really like that Rock stood up to her though. Glad we won't have to go through another Eureka Seven where the whole 50 episodes had Renton being a wimp until like the last few.

Lastly Blue Exorcist has me laughing a lot. I think they do it best when it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Why do you assume this arc of Bleach is going to be awful?
Because I know what happens.

Spoilers no!!!

Quick question: there's been some rumblings that toonami is going to nab DBZ Kai, how exactly would that work? Doesn't Nick own the exclusive rights? I'm still not entirely sure how they managed to get their hands on Cooler's Revenge, can someone with more knowledge on the subject tell me how this works?

Gorillaz

One thing I picked up last night in the dub for AoT was that it was very "wordy" script wise. Especially Eren. It's kind of weird to explain but I feel like less was more at times. Also I see they cutdown on him saying 'damn' in the show. I remember dude had kind of a mouth in the opening episode...but that was like 6ish months ago when I saw this so I could be off.

Black Lagoon went off tho. Favorite episode and didn't really need action, just the back and forth dialogue between Revy and Rock was enough. I actually think the dialogue, and personal interactions are what makes the show what it is at times. I know it's action based but the personal moments are underrated imo. It's very nature.

I often read people that are outside of the Anime circle look at the dub for this as being something else entirely lol

edit: Space Dandy last night was my favorite episode as well

Black Lagoon - man, each scene in this episode just got better and better until we reached the epic climax of Rock calling Revy out on her shit. god damn. the cigarette "kiss" was great, too.

Sym-Bionic Titan - i don't feel too bad for Tashy. i think they used "LOOK HOW CUTE" as a bit of a crutch. but it's done so well with so many great jokes and fantastic imagery that i love it anyway.

Samurai Jack - a lot of this might be nostalgia talking, but i thought this episode was just a lot of fun even if nothing particularly stands out as being great.

One Piece - i really don't like the whole plot point of Luffy and Zoro getting stuck; it's lazy writing, especially when it happens so frequently to Luffy (even once before in this very arc). however, i think what saves it is that it doesn't really change anything; from a writer's standpoint they're going to miss the Sea Train anyway. there's really no difference between being stuck in a wall and lying unconscious somewhere; being stuck is about 80% comedic, it's "they're off somewhere and we have to find them and we don't find them in time to make the Sea Train" that's the main point. outside of that, it's a funny setup episode.

Attack on Titan - we're in Space Dandy territory: mediocre first half, great second half. once the titans arrive and shit starts to go down, it's pretty good. but the setup and the laughably melodramatic "here's his arm, lady" scene are kind of bad.

Blue Exorcist - i liked this episode. i thought it was funny, to the point where the shitty ending seemed intentional for comedic purposes. and it's not like i was invested in the plot, anyway. i'm continuously surprised at which characters they give names and major supporting roles; Pink Hair seems like he'd be a background character forever. this is not a positive, as generally those characters are so bland and ill-defined that i can't picture them being in the spotlight.

Ghost in the Shell - we got some nice closure, but i feel that the way Section 9 just sort of...came back is incredibly, ridiculously anti-climactic. but i might have missed something. did i miss something or is that just kinda stupid?

FMA Brotherhood - i generally hate baby episodes no matter what. even if the baby hasn't popped out yet.

Bleach - i.....didn't find any of this funny at all, and beyond that there really wasn't much to it.

Naruto Shippuden - i think this is the episode that's annoyed me the most with the garbage pacing. i mean, it makes sense that they're sealed up tight, but still. in a show that's been stalling from the very first episode, it shouldn't take almost the entire fucking episode to get inside.

Quick question: there's been some rumblings that toonami is going to nab DBZ Kai, how exactly would that work? Doesn't Nick own the exclusive rights? I'm still not entirely sure how they managed to get their hands on Cooler's Revenge, can someone with more knowledge on the subject tell me how this works?
Maybe Nick loses the rights on May 23rd. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece - Then, Now, Forever.
Space Dandy - Easily my favorite episode of Space Dandy.
Black Lagoon - Easily my favorite episode of Black Lagoon!
GITS:SAC - What an ending!
Naruto - Poor Haku.
Blue Exorcist - Every other episode seems to deliver.
Symbionic Titan - The second best episode and this is as high as it could muster, no wonder it was canceled.
Attack on Titan - What an opening!
Bleach - I would love a season of Ichigo, high school mercenary for hire.
Samurai Jack - Jack jump good!
Star Wars: Clone Wars: I actually got quite the chuckle out of this one.
Naruto: Shippuden. This too also amused me.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Still a solid episode.

Another perfect night of Toonami. The first four shows are nearly interchangeable while the rest down to and including Samurai Jack were far above average. Those last three? Well they all had their problems but none of them were bad at all.

Maybe Nick loses the rights on May 23rd. :p
Hopefully, DBZ needs to come back home. I can't imagine how rediculous the ratings would be..

I can only hope not. There are a lot of other, more interesting, shows out there they can pick up. FMP, Tiger and Bunny, Level E, the list goes on and on. Give something new a chance!

DBZ would be a ratings behemoth. More viewers=More advertising dollars=More money for DeMarco and co to put towards new acquisitions, promos, bumps, merch, etc. I hope they nab it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBZ is the perfect fit though and will probably headline the block. Kai isn't even that long, fully completed it's only three years worth of content that will do enough to ratings that it'll allow them to bring in more stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
Only made it through Shippuden and 5 minutes of One Piece. Shippuden really starts to bring the block down, can barely make it through.

Love that Space Dandy episode even more than when it first aired, I think this is a show that gets better on repeat viewings. Bleach was great stuff, I like Ichigo's family and the focus shifting back, even if temporary, to the humans. Attack on Titan was alright, I'll give it more time, but the show didn't really grab me yet.

DBZ is the perfect fit though and will probably headline the block. Kai isn't even that long, fully completed it's only three years worth of content that will do enough to ratings that it'll allow them to bring in more stuff.
Would Toonami have to remove a show to air DBZ kai or just start at 11:00?

Amikami

Banned
zlCfzR4nSHQkuLxP_z

zlCfzR4nhLMefkby7-
zlCfzR4nugUVGLjsSg

zlCfzR4n1IgBykmxhk
zlCfzR4oMOkW_fWSY0

zlCfzR4oc4kGXjaiC9
zlCfzR4oraMB3Q4oPH

zlCfzR4ozpolHQyV_i
zlCfzR4o-RQKToSc6G

zlCfzR4pNdctvjnmx_
zlCfzR4ptNkMtAoP1v

zlCfzR4p7hkS4CmvGk
zlCfzR4qNGk2qOjww6

zlCfzR4qiXAvPMVlJ8
zlCfzR4qvMQ323qVuW

zlCfzR4rKYIWVi8dxM
zlCfzR4rTDYB2umshn

LATER on Toonami

Great work. I love 3 eyes. Pretty hilarious. And Gai's face make me laugh as well. Everything is well done. Great job with Mikasa and Eren.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DBZ Kai started airing on May 24th, 2010 on Nick Toons.

I smell a C-O-N-spiracy.

Would Toonami have to remove a show to air DBZ kai or just start at 11:00?

Either. There's a ton of dead weight in the block like the millionth run of FMA:B. They are also just showing Clone Wars until whenever their deal runs out with that but they could also just easily get rid of one Boondocks episode and put DBZ Kai, the show that defines TOONAMI, and have it kick off the block at 11.

It's really solid. I don't even think of it being dubbed. Sign of a good one. Both actors did an awesome job with that scene.

Is Ocean (or whatever it's called) still around?

Yes Ocean is still around though due to the collapse of Geneon and Bandai among other things, Ocean Seldomly dubs anime anymore and focuses on western animation.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Funimation still gets Ocean to do Black Lagoon dubs (they did the 5 part OVA)
I imagine if another Black Lagoon anime is made, they'll still get them.

DBZ Kai is coming and it'll replace Bleach this fall, then in 2-3 years when Bleach Blood War anime is being dubbed it'll take back over. Its a matter of when they announce it (probably that con later this month)

Us getting a DBZ movie is probably testing the waters, I imagine unless Coolers Revenge mega bombs Kai taking over for Bleach is a sure thing

i still think we're looking at it replacing Titan or Dandy. Bleach is gonna get replaced by InuYasha.

Even if Final Act replace Bleach as the Viz show, I imagine the lineup will shuffle in a way that Kai will be either 11:30 or 12 while InuYasha will probably be like 2:00 or 2:30 *shrugs*

Seda

Those who thought this weeks Titan was really melodramatic

image.png

95% of Titan is angst and melodrama

The commander guy yelling with the 'wind' blowing (and hair swishing in the 'wind') after giving a crying old woman an arm was exceptionally silly, haha.

The commander guy yelling with the 'wind' blowing (and hair swishing in the 'wind') after giving a crying old woman an arm was exceptionally silly, haha.

True.:p
To be fair I thought it was melodramatic before the Titans showed. I think it's justified when a giant naked dude eats your mom.

If all that was left was an arm, I would've just lied at that point and said there was nothing left.

Seda

True.:p
To be fair I thought it was melodramatic before the Titans showed. I think it's justified when a giant naked dude eats your mom.

Right, I think the episode end wasn't over-doing it.

As for the early scene, I think having the commander break down in tears, unable to maintain his composure, would've been more effective.

Raxus

Yeah, Titan can be Melodramatic at times but I can assure everyone that was probably the 'worst' of it. The gusts of wind and the man gifting the woman an arm was really over the top, even in the sub.

789shadow

Banned
Yeah, Titan can be Melodramatic at times but I can assure everyone that was probably the 'worst' of it. The gusts of wind and the man gifting the woman an arm was really over the top, even in the sub.
I'm pretty sure an upcoming episode is entirely composed of melodramatic speeches.

Raxus

I feel bad for ranking the shows this week since there were so many good episodes and only a few duds.
I'm pretty sure an upcoming episode is entirely composed of melodramatic speeches.
Yeah, but it is kind of the end of the world for most of the people in that town. Titans are killing e'rybody.
Plus, it establishes the characters personalities for the rest of the series

Even if Final Act replace Bleach as the Viz show, I imagine the lineup will shuffle in a way that Kai will be either 11:30 or 12 while InuYasha will probably be like 2:00 or 2:30 *shrugs*

eh, i dunno. InuYasha's a big deal for AS (even if it'll be way later than when they should've picked it up), and Space Dandy and AOT show they don't have problems putting some shorter shows up front

Some of the angst is justified and understandable considering what's going on, sometimes it's silly and/ or repetitive, such as everyone constantly yelling about DON'T LET OUR COMRADES DIE IN VAIN.

One thing that bothers me about Eren is that he often comes off as generic, even though
he's actually a pretty fucked-up person in several ways and has plenty of potential to be interesting. He's just so passive, though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If the rest of Attack on Titan is more like the last 5 minutes of last night's episode than the first 20 minutes, then we should be fine.

But those first 20 minutes kiiiiiiiiiiiiinda sucked, so we'll see. I don't really have much of an opinion on the show yet. Still far too early.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So my DVR didn't record Attack on Titan when it was supposed to yesterday, so is there a (legal) way I can watch the premier? Of all the shows it didn't record..

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So my DVR didn't record Attack on Titan when it was supposed to yesterday, so is there a (legal) way I can watch the premier? Of all the shows it didn't record..

If you have Comcast, it should be On Demand.

ckohler

In order of enjoyment:

Black Lagoon
Yeah, so Revy is awesome and all that but I've been waiting (impatiently) for someone to call her out on her shit. I figured eventually Rock would somehow sweet talk her down to Earth but never did I imagine he would become the hardest motherfucking ALPHA in all of anime. His power of speech is unmatched. That episode was so amazing I'm going to watch it again. It was pretty much perfect in execution, pacing, writing and choreography. Atomic truth bombs so powerful Revy almost shed a tear.

Blue Exorcist
Hnnngg. The lovely Izumo dawns a bikini until her tsun-tsun powers bewitch a young boy at the beach who also turns out to be the most "adult" character in the show, dropping truth bombs and double-entendres left and right. Pretty funny episode although the ending was terri-bad. The after credits scene was hilarious and often one of the best parts of these episodes.

Attack on Titan
Not a bad start in setting up the world. Some of the voice performances (particuarly Eren) were a bit over the top. Like that one extra said, "he needs to use his inside voice." The Titans are creepy with their eerie smiles and ugly ass shots. Poor mom. :( My favorite character was his sister. She seems like she'll be a badass once they grow up.

Space Dandy
Probably my favorite episode. Yes, even more than the Zombie episode. This is one of the rare situations where Dandy is truly endearing and sensible. The alien girl is adorable and bratty but never annoying. When she cries, it's pretty moving. She better make a comeback in Season 2, damn it!

Bleach
It's weird seeing Bleach have an episode where the characters aren't spouting incomprehensible technobabble and having the same fights for 20 episodes. School life? Characters growing up? New baddies? He's no longer a soul reaper? I was genuinely interested for the first time in a while. Wasn't there some green haired girl and some idiot defeating everyone a few weeks ago? Hmm, that must have just been my imagination.

Once Piece
It wasn't a bad episode but not really a lot happened so it wasn't keeping my attention. Chopper was endearing and I loved the "...*psst*... you too Usopp..." whispers. Glad to see everyone at Water Seven have finally realized that the Straw Hats aren't evil. That only took forever. "I've lived here for the past five years and yet I feel nothing," was a pretty silly thing to say, even for a bad guy. Lol.

GitS
Oh.. so *that's* what "Stand Alone Complex" means. Not a bad ending to the season. I liked the Laughing Man's reveal. Such a shame he didn't join Section 9. I still think the major is too OP for the show's good. The Chief is the best character at times and he really shined in this episode.

Naruto: Shippuden
Zzzzz... huh? What's Guy yelling about? Ok, that was kinda funny. Oh look, Neji is looking for seals and Naruto won't shut up and leave him alone. Shut up Naruto. I thought you were supposed to be more mature now. Let's all watch Sakura use her Supergirl punch. I sure hope this show is bringing in strong ratings because there is almost no other redeeming quality in my eyes.

I checked out at Naruto OG. It's too bad Clone Wars is so far down the block or I might stay up to watch it. The rest of the shows don't really hold my attention because I've seen them too many times or whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom