• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the rest of Attack on Titan is more like the last 5 minutes of last night's episode than the first 20 minutes, then we should be fine.

But those first 20 minutes kiiiiiiiiiiiiinda sucked, so we'll see. I don't really have much of an opinion on the show yet. Still far too early.

It's a mix. The pacing isn't bad, but can be kind of tedious in that "Let's do this really cool thing," and then suddenly the next episode "I've just had an existential crisis, give me another 23 minutes and then we can do it." There's one particularly egregious example that I can't talk about yet.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It's a mix. The pacing isn't bad, but can be kind of tedious in that "Let's do this really cool thing," and then suddenly the next episode "I've just had an existential crisis, give me another 23 minutes and then we can do it." There's one particularly egregious example that I can't talk about yet.

I've seen the sub on Netflix and yeah, I think I know which example you're referring to. It's pretty bad.

Gorillaz

IIRC the team that made AoT was made up of people from another studio. It might take awhile for them to get down the idea of "pacing".

Well see, hopefully they will do good in the future and in season 2...which we don't know the air date yet....but I feel it will be next year, hopefully

If the rest of Attack on Titan is more like the last 5 minutes of last night's episode than the first 20 minutes, then we should be fine.

But those first 20 minutes kiiiiiiiiiiiiinda sucked, so we'll see. I don't really have much of an opinion on the show yet. Still far too early.

I agree but an willing to give it a pass since the show needs to establish characters and the world; it can't just jump straight into Titan fighting shenanigans or else people would complain about it being a one demensional show without any depth. I mean, that could still end up being the case, but I'll give AoT the benefit of the doubt here.

The melodrama is going to wear thin though, it's just waaaay too over the top at this point which makes it hard for me to take certain elements seriously.

Black Lagoon was outstanding.

Had me like
1184495102236.gif

If future Titan episodes are as melodramatic as the first one, I hope they are all so hilariously over the top with the subtlety of a brick to the face. I started to giggle a little with the whole exchange with the old lady and the captain guy. It just scream "look at how serious and deep we are!"

Gorillaz

If future Titan episodes are as melodramatic as the first one, I hope they are all so hilariously over the top with the subtlety of a brick to the face. I started to giggle a little with the whole exchange with the old lady and the captain guy. It just scream "look at how serious and deep we are!"

it's toned down a bit later on but still a little over the top at times

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does going fast make you feel alive?

My heart does beat in hyper drive.

Do you think you can win? Only if I lose.

I switched to sub at episode 13 because Leo's dub voice is awful. The Japanese opening isn't NEARLY as rocking/awesome.

Gorillaz

Playing card games on a motorcycle. For some reason the arena's they drove/battled on were the size of 2 states. I mean the characters were interesting but I can't go along with the bike duels. How did the cards not fly away during the duels?

I'm going to act like 5DS isn't canon. I actually did like the dub opening in a weird censored, 4kids way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Playing card games on a motorcycle. For some reason the arena's they drove/battled on were the size of 2 states. I mean the characters were interesting but I can't go along with the bike duels. How did the cards not fly away during the duels?

I'm going to act like 5DS isn't canon. I actually did like the dub opening in a weird censored, 4kids way.

I can hear you breathin', and I can see you comin', and I can feel the wind.

It's blowing.

Me.

(Around.)

5D's actually has a really good story as far as YGO goes. Card games on motorcycles sounds ridiculous at first but when you watch it, pretty soon it just kinda jives. Lots of cool characters too.

Levyne

Banned
Star Wars Rebels looks really bad.

Still weird to me to see The Clone Wars praise in that thread. I still haven't really come around to it.

Gorillaz

I can hear you breathin', and I can see you comin', and I can feel the wind.

It's blowing.

Me.

(Around.)

5D's actually has a really good story as far as YGO goes. Card games on motorcycles sounds ridiculous at first but when you watch it, pretty soon it just kinda jives. Lots of cool characters too.

I made it to the dark signer arch? I think that was what it was called, I saw that through and stopped. It wasn't bad tho but it's just gotten so crazy now that I can't keep up with fuckery.

I think GX should have been "it" it ended in a good way with the torch being passed on to a new generation

still the king. well, besides the Pokemon theme.

hmmm never heard of this show

Still weird to me to see The Clone Wars praise in that thread. I still haven't really come around to it.

i didn't really see anything offensive about it outside of some really terrible voiceover and your average silly exposition moments ("who is that kid", "we're a team"). in Greg Weisman i trust.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, Dark Signer arc was pretty great. Loved how it tied into the backstory with Kalen, etc.

Here, have some fanart.

GTaKEMxl.jpg

pVqgkbol.jpg

iI9Zq9bl.jpg

Been loving Arc-V so far too. Devastated this weeks episode was delayed due to fucking Table Tennis. T_T

VSKvAW3l.png

AwjZafcl.png

rdCVSuFl.png

I don't understand this melodramatic criticism. Humanity is on the brink of fucking extinction. I don't know what y'all expect characters to act like. Eren and his friends are tired of living under the facade of normalcy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They're all so amazing

"Show me your humans!" Seriously, that Titan is Captain Falcon

THIS had me laughing too early into the night, lol. Especially since I could imagine the Wall-breaking knee to be Falcon's jumping EXPLOSION KNEE move, with him screaming "YESS!" after busting the wall. Totally awesome happy accidents, ha. Very fit for Nintendo Posting, too!

I never expected Ichigo to call her out on it. I love how even though Orihime's boobs seem to be going from her own level to Rangiku-tier, the best they come up with is "her face is getting more expressive!"

Second week in a row and another 6 1/2 hour challenge done. Aww right.

Great stuff SAB. Good stuff all around.

Later.

Thanks ya!

haha this was awesome, I love the extra detail on rush valley, you didnt have to do that but you did.

Goodnight toonamigaf, was a pretty good night.
LATER

I can't hear Rush Valley without thinking of a Sonic Stage, haha. It even feels like it's broken into zones!

Holy crap, SAB. I shouldn't be laughing this much at this time of night. The freaking 3 eyes has me in stitches. So creepy and yet so funny. The rest are pretty damn amazing too. I don't know how you do it.

SanGanHime! Always glad to get such a reaction :) Toonami has me drawin' so much stuff I might not normally do, feels pretty great.

Good work SAB CA!

All nice!

Much thanks guys!

(QUOTE WALL)
Later.

HAHA, the reactions delivered. That was one of the most intense shouting matches in the history of the block, past and present. ROCK is such a refreshing guy, and even though I feel (comparing some of the subs I see while searching for refs) the dub might push things to being more edgy than the original Japanese, it really makes it amazing how much the crew seems to GET Revy. In so many other shows, she'd be this wall of "no one can talk to her, she's unapproachable!", but here, everyone's mature enough to deal with her seriously, rather than just avoid her.

I kept thinking "Man, I wish we'd have moments like this in more shonen!" If Sakura ever called out Sasuke on his crap like that, I might like her more than Kakashi suddenly.

Amazing stuff as always, man do I feel stuff that nap helped a little but today is gonna suck lol

Hope you're able to survive your hell ordeal day! My most irresponsible days like that were in school, and I felt so drained from those long marathon days, that I swear everything I saw over the day had after-images, as if my brain was giving up on trying to keep up with the speed of the fully rested. Those days SUCK. And even after you make it though, sometimes you still take a day or 2 to recover. ARGH.

Gambatte Ne! VVVV.

Love your Black Lagoon sketch on your sketch dump! Great work like always. It's always fantastic to come back and just admire it.

Thanks much! I went so heavy with the shades. I always worry those will look WAY too messy while making them, but they always come out solid! I've never smoked, and they... kinda.. made me wanna...

*RESOLVE* NO! HE DIED BRAVELY M'AM! AND HE WASN'T A SMOKER! YOUR SON WAS A HERO!!!!!

Great Stuff! Attack on ToonamiGaf sketch jump.
Gald you include Titan as Titan on Attack on Titan. XD Is this your first time doing sketches of AoT?
Meanwhile the rest of the block is getting eaten(like Dandy) or killed like Haku. And more dawws from One Piece and Symbionic Titan.
3_3 did get a chuckele out of me so I glad I included it.
And is that TMNT movie Might Guy?
Edit: Wouldn't it be Attack on anti-smoking? ;)

I think it IS my first time, though I've wanted to draw Mikasa a few times. This is going to be a great show to have fun with drawing, LOVE the linework in the show. LoL at TMNT Movie Maito Gai, I wanted him to be perfectly UGGly, and I wondered if I pushed it far enough, ha.

You know, the Pro/Anti is the exact way I thought of early AoT. "Shouldn't this be Attack on Humans?" They seemed to be feeding the "attackee"... I never thought sharing a light could look so much like the start of make-up sex, haha.

Great job!

----

Loved the reactions. Thanks for posting as I missed a ton of these last night.

Great Thanks! And I know the feel, the WALL OF REACT must take ages to pull together, haha. I appreciate it too Seda, it's a great "Moments that Rocked Toonami Gaf" tribute.

Great work. I love 3 eyes. Pretty hilarious. And Gai's face make me laugh as well. Everything is well done. Great job with Mikasa and Eren.

Titan Thanks! I cheated with Mikasa... and it ended up working out! I look forward to so many moments with her... Eren (Pacific Rim) will give us some great moments too... I'll be all about that dramatic reaction shots, lol.

------

Oh, and having caught up pretty well on JoJo's anime finally, I will say Speedwagon is the grandfather of MELODRAMATIC REACTION FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO "anime". Yet I like him and Joseph more than any of the crap "ANIKI!" / "KANCHO!" -yelling weaklings from One Piece. Titan's brand of MeloScreaming works perfectly for me. It's all Light Yagami "I WILL EAT THIS BAG OF CHIPS!" or "Samurai Shodown DELETE DELETE DELETE!" Level. Which is great.

Amikami

Banned

I think what gets me the most is the blue eyed blue haired character. The blue needs to be toned down in his eyes specifically. the character is so distracting to me for that reason but it might just be me. Like clone wars, I don't care for the look.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't understand this melodramatic criticism. Humanity is on the brink of fucking extinction. I don't know what y'all expect characters to act like. Eren and his friends are tired of living under the facade of normalcy.

Everyone is talking about the bit with the arm. It was so bad it was funny.

"Where is mah son?"

"Dead, here is his arm."

"Did his death mean anything?"

"Nope."

I almost died laughing. They could have lied to the poor woman.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
5Ds dark signers arc is the single best arc in all of YGO period

I like Millennium World slightly more just because it's like 200 episodes of payoff for Bakura constantly going "Mwahaha, I'll get you next time Yugi!" It was nice to see the series actually follow through on its claims of him being the baddest bad dude. Plus payoff for Atem's past and all that stuff.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The AOT melodrama is fine when they have justified it with all the raw-ass shit that goes down. The problem with the first episode is that you hadn't seen the Titans do anything yet, so all the screaming and panic and despair had no context.

This will not be a problem for very long.

Gorillaz

Yea, I didn't know if OG would actually, fully captialize on bakura as the "big bad" of the series. Despite it being loooooooooong as fuck, they definitelye established him as that guy tho

I liked the whole 3 dragon storyline from OG the most. That was due to the Guardian Deck tho, it broke rules like a MFer but the whole lore behind the deck was the most interesting thing in the series. That and the deck of armor episodes where dude was literally wearing the armor and fighting lol.

"Where is mah son?"

"Dead, here is his arm."

"Nope."

That was changed in the dub it was a bit more subtle in the Japanese version

Iirc it went something like this

Mom "Moses, where is moses I don't see him anywhere"

Guy 1 "so this is moses mom..."

Guy 2 "give it to her"

*guy pulls out the arm and hands it to her*

Guy 1 "this was all we were able to recover"

Mom "tell me his death helped humanity advance against the titans"

Guy 1 "of course it did...

No

We didn't accomplish anything

WE NEVET ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING"

Something like that, its still a bit over the top but the scene builds a bit better in the sub

I liked the dub overall but that was the one dub scene that stood out to me as being different in terms of wording

Comedy focused Bleach is generally pretty good and last night was no exception, it wasn't an amazeballs episode but it was entertaining.

Can't comment on sbt but the only episode that was a struggle to get through was clone wars, shippuden while slow did have some good comedy moments

generally pretty good my ass. I can't even remember the last time I found something in Bleach to be remotely funny, and that was when I was actually watching the show over half a decade ago

Amikami

Banned
Still can't believe how bloody good that episode was last night. I don't think they could have done anything any better.

bigkrev

Lol amazing

Also remind me to never ever ever ever ever pull a stunt like this again, I want to shoot myself, and the worse part is I still need to watch extreme rules, thank god I have tomorrow off

You don't need to watch extreme rules. Just watch the Shield match later

Seda

"Where is mah son?"

"Dead, here is his arm."

"Nope."

I don't mind if they decide to say that his death was meaningless. That on paper is a solid way to emphasize the feeling of hopelessness.

It was the yelling and accompanying animation effects that took that and made it hard to take seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom