• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Lots of playoff games that weekend, which may hurt it. Though I'm speaking out of my ass and don't really know.

But yeah, I'm hoping it will one-up new Dandy episodes significantly, but my expectations are that it will do about the same.

Gorillaz

it went up against a night of 3 game 7's in NBA (depending on your time region) and a few hockey games. The game 7's was enough of a distraction.

It's barely over a 1 most likely

So, anyone wanna do ratings bets for Attack on Titan?
I think 1.5.

Not a chance, considering how many people turned off the channel and cancelled their cable once they saw the open was cut. It'll only pull in 453,000 and will be emergency moved to 3am swapping places with Beware the Batman next week.

Real answer? I think it'll do 1.3 million at best. It's probably good that people were tuning in for a new Bleach and saw the stronger 2nd half of Titan.

But a couple of game 7s and the boxing match might take a chunk out of it. Who knows?

Gorillaz

I'll start one piece sometime this week thanks guys

Not a chance, considering how many people turned off the channel and cancelled their cable once they saw the open was cut. It'll only pull in 453,000 and will be emergency moved to 3am swapping places with Beware the Batman next week.

Real answer? I think it'll do 1.3 million at best. It's probably good that people were tuning in for a new Bleach and saw the stronger 2nd half of Titan.
I don't think people called it quits because of that and if people seriously called it quits over the opening being edited then they weren't that interested in the show to begin with

Levyne

Banned
Sunday to Monday is always weird for me since I have to go from fucked up weekend internal clock to 9-5 weekday work internal clock. I'll probably be up until 3.

Look closely.

tumblr_n1nkydx5jh1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

I don't think people called it quits because of that and if people seriously called it quits over the opening being edited then they weren't that interested in the show to begin with

As the great Opus the penguin once said in Bloom County:

"'Twas just...

...a little...

...joke."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I had an old man watching anime moment around 11:00pm Saturday and truly thought that Space Dandy was going to headline the block.

daveo42

Banned
Afternoon naps on the weekend usually fuck with my sleep schedule. Mondays mean I'm usually really for bed by like 10pm.

As for One Piece, I'd recommend the manga and then the anime as a way to get covered on everything. It's much faster to catch up reading, even if you can cut out a lot of time by skipping recap stuff and filler episodes. Watching it after being caught up just makes me more excited about what's coming down the pipe and still be surprised here and there.

Wow, guess I'm being optimistic today.
Maybe 1.3 at best.

On another note, One Piece this week was really great. The feels train. I wonder if Robin ever returns.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I don't think it'll do as good as Space Dandy. Keep in mind, a lot of people already have seen the series. We shall see.

bigkrev

Lots of playoff games that weekend, which may hurt it. Though I'm speaking out of my ass and don't really know.

But yeah, I'm hoping it will one-up new Dandy episodes significantly, but my expectations are that it will do about the same.

But a couple of game 7s and the boxing match might take a chunk out of it. Who knows?

lol it will

I'll go with a 1.4 for the premiere, wouldn't be shocked at a 1.5 which would be the highest rating in new toonami history

You guys are also forgetting there was a gigantic Floyd Mayweather fight going on at the time as well. The last time Toonami had really low ratings (not a single million), was due to strong boxing, and this is probably the biggest fight of the year

Levyne

Banned
Haha, in the back of my mind I was actually thinking "You know, what if there was a boxing or MMA event? If there was, bigkrev or Meta will probably let us know."

:)

Are you saying AoT won't do better than Dandy did this past weekend, compared to it's premiere, or in general?

Because those are 3 very different things.

daveo42

Banned
I was initially going to go with 1.5mil due to a massive show premiering on Toonami, but I completely forgot about the fight. It will probably do 1.2mil at most.

Speaking of, where has AdventureMike been? I didn't even see him posting on Saturday...last post he made in the thread was on the 30th too.

You guys are also forgetting there was a gigantic Floyd Mayweather fight going on at the time as well. The last time Toonami had really low ratings (not a single million), was due to strong boxing, and this is probably the biggest fight of the year

Oh wow you're right, I totally forgot about that fight, any idea when it ended?

I'm going to adjust my expectations now. 1.25 is more realistic. It'll still beat out Dandy, not so sure about Bleach.

bigkrev

Oh wow you're right, I totally forgot about that fight, any idea when it ended?

I'm going to adjust my expectations now. 1.25 is more realistic. It'll still beat out Dandy, not so sure about Bleach.

Floyd got into the ring at 12:10ish, but his "entrance" with circus preformers, Lil Wayne, and Justin Bieber (none of that made up) started around midnight. and the decision was announced at 1:00ish.

Amhir Khan was on the undercard and was fighting at 11:15

bigkrev

Saturday was a busy night.

Realistically, this was the toughest competition that Toonami has ever faced. The combination of a 1million plus buy boxing fight, plus 2 game 7s for a Los Angeles sports teams, plus a near 100 million dollar opening weekend for ASM2. That is a lot of things competing for your eyeballs.

Floyd got into the ring at 12:10ish, but his "entrance" with circus preformers, Lil Wayne, and Justin Bieber (none of that made up) started around midnight. and the decision was announced at 1:00ish.

Oh my god that sounds hilarious. I got a snapchat from my buddy and saw Rick Ross was there too? Boxing has gotten absolutely rediculous.

Levyne

Banned

This sounds hilarious.

Edit: haha

Did any of you guys see AS2 this weekend? My dad went and said it was horrible. I thought the first movie was pretty bad so I'll just wait for the bluray or HBO to watch it.

I don't expect a significant Toonami week with really high ratings until the time summer break starts for high schools/colleges in large numbers .

Edit: I have not seen a single movie in theaters this year, had meant to see lego movie but ended up not happening. May want to see Godzilla and How to Train your dragon 2 but I am lazy and who knows if that'll happen.

Aren't most schools done now? OSU just had graduation yesterday, I have no idea when high school kids get out. Last year around this time we started getting big bumps I think; I'll have to double check when I get home.

Aren't most schools done now? OSU just had graduation yesterday, I have no idea when high school kids get out. Last year around this time we started getting big bumps I think; I'll have to double check when I get home.

May and June are when most high school kids get out, depends on where you live

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There were eight million snow days here so I doubt most of the kids around here are out much before the end of June.

In some states though students will start getting out this month...but have been in school since August.

Levyne

Banned
My little brother is a high school senior graduating this year. He had so many snow days but it doesn't affect seniors since graduation date is set. Everyone else gets to stick around 2+ extra weeks I bet. Sucks for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom