• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think I'm going to revise my ranking of FMA:B openings.

Period>Golden Time Lover>Again>Hologram>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rain.

daveo42

Banned
Somehow people expected a Slice-of-Life manga to become an Action Anime.

I can't figure out how...

Because the original manga was an chock full of action. The NOT in the title should make people think it's not SE at all, but it's not really helping here.

Jintor

I would hesitate to classify NOT as a pure slice of life. There's something happening in the background... But it seems like the main characters are only incidental to it, overall. At least so far.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
On Saturday I think I am going to attempt to start a discussion in this thread about ranking the Bleach openings to commemorate the final one being aired on TOONAMI.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Huh, so the Attack on Titan 3DS game might be coming to the US.

MY GOD, the shows that've started airing on Toonami are getting their games localized. First One Piece: Unlimited World Red, then SAO for Vita, & now possibly this!

Toonami brings joy to the world in more ways than one.
Meaning Cartoon Network was really REALLY stupid to cancel it the first time.
I do wonder where the channel will go now that Snyder is gone. Action cartoons getting better attention? No more shit like Uncle Grandpa?

Raxus

Wish we could make an OT thread letting others know AoT is coming this weekend but I don't want discussion funneling there. Maybe I should bump the AoT OT.

Seda

The Momocon Toonami panel is at May 24th at 7:00pm EDT as the highlight event - in the "'Big Top" room (the show has a circus theme this year). Last year it was earlier in the day. The specific room of the Hotel isn't set yet but I wonder it'll be a larger one than last year.

I just registered for the convention. yay

Gorillaz

I do wonder where the channel will go now that Snyder is gone. Action cartoons getting better attention? No more shit like Uncle Grandpa?

Now that I think of it...I never really understood why it got cancelled to begin with. All I remember hearing was the new CN CEO wanted to do more live action stuff and felt toonami wasn't getting the views and was more of a eyesore to the live action stuff.

I remember coming home from being out and getting a text saying that toonami was back on for April Fools and laughed it off for a min...sobered up a min and checked and behold it was back for a night lol. It's crazy how it all happened and snowballed to where it is now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I shudder to think exactly what they would have aired during the dark century.

Rebranding ASA to TOONAMI should have happened right then and there though.

BatDan

Now that I think of it...I never really understood why it got cancelled to begin with. All I remember hearing was the new CN CEO wanted to do more live action stuff and felt toonami wasn't getting the views and was more of a eyesore to the live action stuff.

I remember coming home from being out and getting a text saying that toonami was back on for April Fools and laughed it off for a min...sobered up a min and checked and behold it was back for a night lol. It's crazy how it all happened and snowballed to where it is now.

This was definitely one of Cartoon Network's darkest times.

*shudders*

BatDan

I think one of the original reasons was their online MMO with tons of CN characters in it. Fusion Fall maybe was the name? The live action junk was just copying off of what Nick had been doing for years and I'm sure was considerably cheaper too.

Dark days indeed. I wish I could forget it all...

It's funny how their attempt to emulate Nickelodeon and Disney Channel wasn't through sitcoms or even action shows, but rip-offs of Discovery Channel shows.

What they needed was Power Rangers. They probably would have treated the show better than NIckelodeon is now.

eh. i'll be honest, Toonami kinda lost me when they started focusing so much on Naruto. i vastly prefer its current incarnation, so in the long run i'd say being cancelled was a good thing

Gorillaz

yikes
Z0kqP.png

I think being reborn into what it is now was definitely for the best. It's almost like a do or die type of deal, obviously not as serious but more of a "alright, let's get it right this time around"

It shouldn't take taken like 4-5 years to happen but it seems like that was more of a political thing then just normal timing

I think Toonami is great now due to the various stumbles it had during the 2000's and the various stumbles ASA had. They've truly figured it out and are now just focused on being amazing

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think Toonami is great now due to the various stumbles it had during the 2000's and the various stumbles ASA had. They've truly figured it out and are now just focused on being amazing

Agreed, but their experience on Adult Swim also can't be understated.

LOLDSFAN

Pretty much.

Before they were canceled, they were way off track and needed a reboot that has led them to be more attuned with their viewers.

BatDan

With Attack on Titan coming, it makes me think how far the new Toonami has come.

Two years ago, the only new stuff was Bleach and two of Funimation's cheapest properties. Sure, Deadman Wonderland was a dub premiere but it was a dub of a show that bombed in Japan.
Then as ratings improved, the shows got more well known. One Piece, Soul Eater, Shippuden. We got the dub premiere of Sword Art Online, the world premiere of Space Dandy, and now the dub premiere of Attack on Titan.

What will the future hold? Well, only TOM knows that answer.

bigkrev

"Hey everyone, this is Micheal Cole, welcoming you too the longest running episodic weekly television show in history, Monday Night Raw! Tonight is episode 1079!"

Shows have been 3 hours for a few years, 2 years for a majority of the other ones.

Yes, it's stupid.

Gorillaz

What will the future hold? Well, only TOM knows that answer.

Remember when they changed TOM?

That was pretty rough. My younger self died when I saw that new version of TOM that CN did before they got rid of him. I mean look at this....

Tom4-1.jpg

wat is this

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Honestly, I am one who never bemoaned the death knell of the original Toonami, mainly because it was the mercy killing of a long suffering block that had been the brunt of a series of unfortunate choices.

Seda

First Bleach opening is nostalgic.

This is last opening we aren't going to see on Toonami. I understand that audio might be modified to avoid copyright issues. It's .. okay.

BatDan

Remember when they changed TOM?

That was pretty rough. My younger self died when I saw that new version of TOM that CN did before they got rid of him. I mean look at this....

wat is this

The stuff of nightmares.
What made this worse is that it literally came out of nowhere. Unlike the previous TOM changes which got events leading up to them (like The Intruder), this change just happened one night. I imagine this alienated a ton of viewers.

It's funny how that one clip of TOM 3.5 and TOM 4.0 communicating actually made people kind of happy to see him. I guess the validation that he's a different TOM altogether eased people.

Honestly, I am one who never bemoaned the death knell of the original Toonami, mainly because it was the mercy killing of a long suffering block that had been the brunt of a series of unfortunate choices.

Fair enough.
Though, they didn't really make an effort to try and fix it. Instead airing Naruto filler and repeats of Ben 10 & Samurai Jack until its eventual demise.

Fair enough.
Though, they didn't really make an effort to try and fix it. Instead airing Naruto filler and repeats of Ben 10 & Samurai Jack until its eventual demise.

well, you have to ask the question of how much control DeMarco and co. had over the block at that time. was it even possible for them to fix it or were they at the mercy of CN?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
First Bleach opening is nostalgic.

This is last opening we aren't going to see on Toonami. I understand that audio might be modified to avoid copyright issues. It's .. okay.

I'd say it's a pretty fitting denouement. I mean, when Ichigo walks forward and a bunch of the Bleach episode titles flash in the background, that's pretty awesome and makes you realize... "Goddamn, this show has gone on way too long."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
God Tier
1. Melody of the Wild Dance (SID's best song)
2. Rolling Star (Yui's best song)
3. D-tecnoLife (Uverworld's best song)

Sweet Tier
4. Velonica (Aqua Timez' best song)
5. Change
6. Asterisk
7. After Dark (not AKFG's best song)
8. Alones

Nice Tier
9. Blue
10. Ichirin No Hana
11. Shojo S

Good Tier
12. Harukaze
13. Chu-Bara

Bleh Tier
14. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

Whaaa?? Tonight, Tonight is so darn catchy and I love the imagery. There really are no true tiers for Bleach openings if you ask me, they're all good except for Asterisk. Music is the one thing Bleach can't be knocked for.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dude singing Tonight, Tonight sounds like he's having a stroke. Also was paired with a pretty awful filler arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom