• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Glad it's been officially confirmed by MS. This just adds another reason to the pile in support of picking up their system. I think I need another 1-2 exclusives to make it worth it at this point. Might be a Christmas pick up this year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817993

My whole thing is that after joining the PC Master Race earlier this year, the only reason I need a console would be for sports games, and for Japanese games. Sony has the advantage on sports (MLB the Show does not exist on Xbox), and while we don't know anything yet, i'm willing to bet any Japanese game that comes out on Xbox will also come out on PS4, but I don't know if the reverse is true.

daveo42

Banned
My whole thing is that after joining the PC Master Race earlier this year, the only reason I need a console would be for sports games, and for Japanese games. Sony has the advantage on sports (MLB the Show does not exist on Xbox), and while we don't know anything yet, i'm willing to bet any Japanese game that comes out on Xbox will also come out on PS4, but I don't know if the reverse is true.

I've got a PC as well that is in need of a new GPU and a complete wipe along with a PS4. I'm mainly moved a lot of FPS to the PC along with late 7th gen stuff. I've been gaming a bit more on the PS4 lately and like 3rd person games there a bit better. An X1, just like the Wii U I'll be grabbing, would be nothing more than exclusive boxes. Sunset Overdrive is the one and only game right now that looks like a true winner on the system. There are a few other note-worthy games on the console now, but I'd still need a few more exclusive games to really sell it. Microsoft is moving in the right direction with the moves they are currently making, even if those are because sales are lagging behind the competition.

X1 will have a meager showing this time around from Japan. Hell, PS4 will have slow growth in Japan too, but there will at least be some good games for it once developers move off of the PS3.

Beast Souls or whatever its gonna be called is gonna be a ps4 exclusive, along with all Tales games, only reason to get an xbone for me is halo 5/6 which yes I will buy one for those games <_<

bigkrev

Beast Souls or whatever its gonna be called is gonna be a ps4 exclusive, along with all Tales games, only reason to get an xbone for me is halo 5/6 which yes I will buy one for those games <_<

In terms of exclusives I care about, the only stuff I really need is what Naughty Dog is working on. I don't like Halo, Gears, GT, Rachet, Killzone, ect

Ratings are in!

SATURDAY, MAY 10, 2014
11:30PM Attack on Titan 1.0 HH, 1.469 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.213 million viewers
12:30AM Space Dandy 0.6 HH, 950,000 viewers
1:00AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.7 HH, 931,000 viewers
1:30AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 771,000 viewers
2:00AM Blue Exorcist 0.6 HH, 766,000 viewers
2:30AM Black Lagoon 0.5 HH, 644,000 viewers
3:00AM Beware the Batman 0.5 HH, 694,000 viewers
3:30AM Naruto 0.5 HH, 657,000 viewers
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 556,000 viewers
4:30AM Samurai Jack 0.4 HH, 519,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.5 HH, 740,000 viewers
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.4 HH, 552,000 viewers

For its entire week in Total Day (8 p.m. to 5:59 a.m.), Adult Swim is down 1 percent in total viewership (1.149 million vs. 1.159 million) and up 2 percent among Adults 18-49 (647,000 vs. 633,000) from one week earlier; the network is also down 6 percent in total viewership (1.149 million vs. 1.225 million) and down 10 percent among Adults 18-49 (647,000 vs. 721,000) from the same week one year ago (May 6-12, 2013).

Source

For comparison, here are the numbers from this week one year ago:

SATURDAY, MAY 11, 2013
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.055 million
12:30AM Naruto 0.7 HH, 1.048 million
1:00AM Soul Eater 0.7 HH, 987,000
1:30AM Thundercats (2011) 0.7 HH, 935,000
2:00AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.6 HH, 815,000
2:30AM Eureka 7 0.6 HH, 710,000
3:00AM Tenchi Muyo! GXP 0.5 HH, 690,000
3:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.5 HH, 580,000
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 565,000
4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 0.4 HH, 511,000
5:00AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 506,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 504,000

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That Dandy drop...I guess since it's a rerun.
But that One Piece drop is concerning. I blame Shippuden being boring.

Who the hell keeps leaving after Bleach and Shippuden?

I'll have their heads.

tumblr_mmwantXopH1s0qwlko1_r1_500.gif

daveo42

Banned
Nice numbers posted for AoT and Bleach, especially with AoT nearing 1.5mil which is damn near amazing at that time slot. Those drops though after Dandy (people must not like shorts v shirts) and again after Shippuden. Still sad the best hour block of the night is seeing that drop.

My biggest question is the lack of staying power this year over last. Sub 800k at 130am as opposed to 230am quite the shift, especially since everything up to 330am are premieres except Dandy.

I'd like to point out that it only took Attack on Titan two weeks to achieve a higher rating than any episode of Space Dandy (Episode 6, The War of the Undies and Vests, Baby, with a 1.464 happens to be the highest). Not sure why people said Titan was going to do the same numbers as Dandy; I feel like this show is going to break records on the regular.

By the way, that 1.469 is the third highest rating in new toonami history. Here's the top 3:

1. Bleach 1.559.000 (8/3/13)
2. Bleach 1.485.000 (8/17/13)
3. AoT 1.469.000 (5/10/14)

daveo42

Banned
Wasn't aware that Bleach broke 1.5mil, which is what I've been considering the limit for Toonami viewship because of all the competing media and events available on Saturday evenings.

As far as the One Piece drop goes, I don't think you can blame it on Shippuden being boring. One Piece fluctuates so much at that 1:30AM spot because of the limitations of the property in America, not scheduling. I think it's hard for some fans of the show to accept that it will never even come close to sniffing the success it has had in Japan for a few reasons.

1. America doesn't have a large comic book following

One Piece got its start as a manga in a country that has an affinity for comic books. While there are Americans who purchase manga/comics on the regular, that percentage of the population who does that is significantly lower in America than it is in Japan. The medium isn't culturally ingrained into society here in the states like it is there; it remains niche. The success of the manga directly contributes to the success of the anime and in this case, limits the potential viewership.

2. 4kids goofed with their dub

People say first impressions are the most important, I tend to agree with that sentiment. 4KIDS managed to completely fuck up the American dub of One Piece in the early-mid 00's through their nonsensical editing practices and horrible voice work. Sanji as a lollipop sucking french dude? Zoro..wait, I mean Zolo the swordsman? Usopp's clown voice? Do I really need to go on? 4KIDS single handedly destroyed any good will the series might have had with casual anime fans and set the series back in a major way.

3. It looks childish

I'm sorry but the art in One Piece is bland, some would even say bad. It has a very childish disposition despite the mature plot lines which turns off a lot of viewers. The terrible 4KIDS dub doesn't help this problem

4. It missed the anime boom

Anime took off in America during the late 90-early 00's thanks to shows like Pokemon, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Naruto. By the time One Piece came around the bubble was starting to burst as the market became over-saturated. Too much competition, viewer fatigue, and a poor dub put One Piece in an immediate hole.

5. It's too long

There's what, over 500 episodes? Good luck holding the average viewers attention week in and out. One Piece would probably work better on a weekday block, the pacing can be a grind.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't understand why people don't like Black Lagoon. :(

It makes me sad every week to see these numbers.

Imperial Bishop, post some Revy to make me feel better.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of factors with One Piece, but the fact is that it was pulling higher numbers previously with worse episodes but a stronger lead-in and an earlier timeslot. Now it's got much better episodes and a shittier lead-in and later timeslot, and the ratings are down.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what the problem is here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The fact there's so many episodes is what turned me off for quite some time after it originally stopped airing on CN. Not to mention I was getting older and started to noticed I wasn't enjoying the longer stuff like Naruto & Bleach anymore to the point I just stopped. I really do wish this would air weekdays just so we can get through the series a lot quicker.

I can't even remember what got me to start watching One Piece again after its return. Guess it was the fact they started at the arc after where they originally stopped, so it was close to where I stopped watching the series and I could continue where I "left off".

daveo42

Banned
5. It's too long

There's what, over 500 episodes? Good luck holding the average viewers attention week in and out. One Piece would probably work better on a weekday block, the pacing can be a grind.

I agree with the rest of your points except this one. While One Piece does have a ton of episodes (over 650 so far), Bleach (366), Naruto/Shippuden (220/364), and Dragon Ball Z (276) have a ridiculous amount of episodes as well. The episode count wouldn't be a factor at all if a legit dub had started around the beginning of Bleach/Naruto and would have been a non-issue.

The most weight for the lower interest for the show state-side is from the 4kids dub.

There's a lot of factors with One Piece, but the fact is that it was pulling higher numbers previously with worse episodes but a stronger lead-in and an earlier timeslot. Now it's got much better episodes and a shittier lead-in and later timeslot, and the ratings are down.

What? One Piece premiered last summer and initially benefited from a huge bump (new show + no school = viewers) but when it fell back to earth in the fall, everyone started flipping out. The show is averaging better numbers now (excluding the summer bump) in a later timeslot and has always been led in by Naruto. Numbers say the Shippuden/Naruto difference doesn't matter.

I'm not sure it's as simple as saying 'late timeslot, bad lead-in' is the problem, One Piece has deeper issues than that.

I agree with the rest of your points except this one. While One Piece does have a ton of episodes (over 650 so far), Bleach (366), Naruto/Shippuden (220/364), and Dragon Ball Z (276) have a ridiculous amount of episodes as well. The episode count wouldn't be a factor at all if a legit dub had started around the beginning of Bleach/Naruto and would have been a non-issue.

The most weight for the lower interest for the show state-side is from the 4kids dub.

There's big difference between something that is 200 or 300 episodes long, and something that has over 600. Bleach and Naruto have been airing since what, 2006? People are tired of both. DBZ had the benefit of being on a weekday block, which I suggested would make One Piece more bearable. The episode count is an issue that alienates a large portion of potential fans, not everyone is willing to go through the hassle of marathoning hundreds of episodes just to catch up to where a show is on TV. Instead they'll shrug and change the channel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Shippuden looks like its wrecking peoples interest in staying up later

They need to swap spots. At least until Shippuden's pacing gets better in a year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think it's Shippuden. People come back for Blue Exorcist consistently.

I'm pretty sure it's One Piece itself.

Except that didn't happen this week.

Also it had been doing much, much better with a decent lead in and earlier time slot. They need to adjust the schedule a bit, Shippuden is to slow to be this high up in the line-up. It's slower than Bleach was and that's saying something.

EDIT: For a while we had 5 shows pulling 1mil regularly. After the schedule change we don't.

Space Dandy rerun at 12:30 is kinda awkward. Wonder if they play on premiering it there for S2.

If Attack on Titan keeps on putting up big numbers I doubt they'll want to rock the boat and have Dandy be the lead off show. I'm guessing it stays in the 12:30 spot, Bleach is a fixture at midnight.

daveo42

Banned
There's big difference between something that is 200 or 300 episodes long, and something that has over 600. Bleach and Naruto have been airing since what, 2006? People are tired of both. DBZ had the benefit of being on a weekday block, which I suggested would make One Piece more bearable. The episode count is an issue that alienates a large portion of potential fans, not everyone is willing to go through the hassle of marathoning hundreds of episodes just to catch up to where a show is on TV. Instead they'll shrug and change the channel.

A weekday block would help with cutting down the amount of episodes, as it helped DBZ back in the day when CN picked it up. That cuts down the 'episode barrier'. At the same time, if Funi had originally picked up OP or if it had made its way to Toonami (without any 4Kids involvement), it would be in a similar situation as Bleach and Naruto.

Would people be bored with it? I don't think people are all that bored with Naruto and Bleach with viewer counts still around 1mil every week, but there is also a significant difference in pacing and the amount of filler used between Naruto and Bleach v One Piece. I feel a lot of the boredom comes from how poorly paced both Shippuden and Bleach are. The possibility does exist that people would be bored with One Piece at that point, but now we are stuck in the realm of hypotheticals and that gets up nowhere.

I can agree that those just now coming to the show are hindered by the number of episodes missed, but that issue wouldn't be as big a problem if One Piece had started on CN with a respectable dub.

Also it had been doing much, much better with a decent lead in and earlier time slot. They need to adjust the schedule a bit, Shippuden is to slow to be this high up in the line-up. It's slower than Bleach was and that's saying something.

EDIT: For a while we had 5 shows pulling 1mil regularly. After the schedule change we don't.

At that point we had straight premieres from 1130pm-300am. 1230 rerun seems to be a big killer on the ratings.

Moaradin

No way is Space Dandy gonna stay at it's spot when it's back to being a world premiere. It will either go back to 11:30 with AoT at 12, or it will switch with Bleach.

Actually Tamanon is right, people do consistently come back for Blue Exorcist. It generally is extremely close to beating out One Piece or has a higher rating outright (this has happened exactly 25% of the time). It also has the highest viewer retention of any show on the block, even better than Dandy to Bleach or Bleach to OG Naruto.

One Piece was not doing much better with an earlier timeslot and OG Naruto as the lead-in, not sure why this keeps getting thrown around. There was a summer bump but then the show came back down to earth and is steadily increasing as we go through Water 7. Just because we're not seeing 1M+ every week doesn't mean we need a schedule swap or that Shippuden is dragging down the block.

A weekday block would help with cutting down the amount of episodes, as it helped DBZ back in the day when CN picked it up. That cuts down the 'episode barrier'. At the same time, if Funi had originally picked up OP or if it had made its way to Toonami (without any 4Kids involvement), it would be in a similar situation as Bleach and Naruto.

Would people be bored with it? I don't think people are all that bored with Naruto and Bleach with viewer counts still around 1mil every week, but there is also a significant difference in pacing and the amount of filler used between Naruto and Bleach v One Piece. I feel a lot of the boredom comes from how poorly paced both Shippuden and Bleach are. The possibility does exist that people would be bored with One Piece at that point, but now we are stuck in the realm of hypotheticals and that gets up nowhere.

I can agree that those just now coming to the show are hindered by the number of episodes missed, but that issue wouldn't be as big a problem if One Piece had started on CN with a respectable dub.

The biggest problems are the lack of a mainstream American comic book culture and the awful 4kids dub, those two factors limit the potential of One Piece in America straight out of the gate. The series length isn't as big a problem but it is still an issue. Casual anime fans who don't post on message boards about ratings probably aren't willing to marathon hundreds of episodes just to catch up with where something is at on TV; they're going to change the channel and watch another program instead. Why do you think toonami wanted to air One Piece 200+ episodes into the series instead of just starting over from the beginning with the funimation dub? Because One Piece is too frickin' long, especially airing once a week, that's why.

Just because Bleach and Shippuden put up 1M+ nearly every week doesn't mean people aren't bored with them, have you been reading the reactions in here on Saturday nights? Most people are sick of these two, viewer fatigue is setting in. Some would argue that One Piece is 'better quality' but that's subjective and I would point out to them limitations that the series has in terms of achieving popularity in America. Like you said, this now enters the realm of hypotheticals but based off of trends, I don't think my assumption is very far off base.

One Piece is doing fine. We go into panic mode where a Shippuden swap is suggested almost weekly lol.

ReiGun

Blazing through the 2011 HunterxHunter.

What's the general consensus on Greed Island? Personally, I wasn't really feeling that arc.

What's the general consensus on Greed Island? Personally, I wasn't really feeling that arc.

Worst arc in the series (up to what I've seen/read) if you ask me

1. Yorknew City
2. Heavens Arena
3. Chimera Ant
4. Hunter Exam
5. Zoldyck Family
6. Greed Island

No way is Space Dandy gonna stay at it's spot when it's back to being a world premiere. It will either go back to 11:30 with AoT at 12, or it will switch with Bleach.

We know that Dandy is coming back in July but I don't recall anyone mentioning that toonami will get the world premiere of season 2, just assumptions. I'm hoping we do for the bump it brings but could still see it being left in the 12:30 slot to break the Bleach-Shippuden-One Piece long running shonen slog. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

This is also a possibility:

I still think viewers are still getting used to the drastic schedule change.

11 PM expansion has to come sooner or later.

EDIT: I want to point out how excited I am about that AoT number, it absolutely crushes anything that aired last spring and is right up there with the highest summer Bleach ratings.

Worst arc in the series (up to what I've seen/read) if you ask me

1. Yorknew City
2. Heavens Arena
3. Chimera Ant
4. Hunter Exam
5. Zoldyck Family
6. Greed Island

I don't think Greed Island is a bad arc, but it's a noticeable step down after the adrenaline rush that was Yorknew City.

I would put it over the Zoldyck arc since that one is kinda forgettable.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I still think viewers are still getting used to the drastic schedule change.

11 PM expansion has to come sooner or later.

Anime/Action starting at 11 is unsustainable. They've done it before. It never lasts. The last time they tried it, it lasted 4 weeks before the entire action block was almost utterly obliterated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom