• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime/Action starting at 11 is unsustainable. They've done it before. It never lasts. The last time they tried it, it lasted 4 weeks before the entire action block was almost utterly obliterated.

That's why we need more shows like Space Dandy, which have a blend of action and comedy, to lead off the block.

ReiGun

Worst arc in the series (up to what I've seen/read) if you ask me

1. Yorknew City
2. Heavens Arena
3. Chimera Ant
4. Hunter Exam
5. Zoldyck Family
6. Greed Island
I'm on Chimera Ant now so I'll get back to you on that, but this is about what I'd say my impressions are. I'd put the Hunter Exam over Heaven's Arena, but that's me.

I wasn't even aware the Zoldyck Family thing counted as an arc. Hardly anything happens. lol

I don't think Greed Island is a bad arc, but it's a noticeable step down after the adrenaline rush that was Yorknew City.

I would put it over the Zoldyck arc since that one is kinda forgettable.

Greed Island would have been fine if the game itself were actually interesting. The weak antagonist didn't really help either. As is, it's incredibly boring.

daveo42

Banned
The biggest problems are the lack of a mainstream American comic book culture and the awful 4kids dub, those two factors limit the potential of One Piece in America straight out of the gate. The series length isn't as big a problem but it is still an issue. Casual anime fans who don't post on message boards about ratings probably aren't willing to marathon hundreds of episodes just to catch up with where something is at on TV; they're going to change the channel and watch another program instead. Why do you think toonami wanted to air One Piece 200+ episodes into the series instead of just starting over from the beginning with the funimation dub? Because One Piece is too frickin' long, especially airing once a week, that's why.

Just because Bleach and Shippuden put up 1M+ nearly every week doesn't mean people aren't bored with them, have you been reading the reactions in here on Saturday nights? Most people are sick of these two, viewer fatigue is setting in. Some would argue that One Piece is 'better quality' but that's subjective and I would point out to them limitations that the series has in terms of achieving popularity in America. Like you said, this now enters the realm of hypotheticals but based off of trends, I don't think my assumption is very far off base.

One Piece is doing fine. We go into panic mode where a Shippuden swap is suggested almost weekly lol.

Starting 200 episodes in was a smart move because of how many episodes they would need to cover to get to this point and they can't benefit from airing during the weekdays like they could with DBZ. Number of episodes now are a huge issue, but would have been greatly lessened.

As for your boredom comment, I'll point back at this:
Casual anime fans who don't post on message boards

There's probably a ton of casual fans out there that are still excited every week for both shows. Hell, as boring as Shippuden was, I was super excited back in the day to see a new canon arc and only abandoned the show entirely because
even with the lead-in time, there is still a fair about of filler in Shippuden.

One Piece is in a decent spot too, I just think a lot of people in here want to see it with higher ratings along with Black Lagoon.

I don't think Greed Island is a bad arc, but it's a noticeable step down after the adrenaline rush that was Yorknew City.

I would put it over the Zoldyck arc since that one is kinda forgettable.

I don't think Greed Island is a bad arc, just the worst one.

Zoldyck family is similar in quality but it's Killua focused so I give it an edge.

daveo42

Banned
All of this HxH talk reminds me that I have yet to start watching it. Maybe I'll marathon it this summer during some video game downtime.

Greed Island would have been fine if the game itself were actually interesting. The weak antagonist didn't really help either. As is, it's incredibly boring.

I thought the game was well thought out. You can tell that Togashi put a lot of effort into the mechanics and the card system.
But it had a lack of an adventure feel. We didn't get to see much of the towns and cities on the island.

And I think we can all agree that the Razor match was the best part of the arc.

The biggest problems with the Ant arc is the long-winded internal monologues and the non-stop narrations.

It's an anime. Show, don't tell.

Still, a great arc, but those two things weigh it down.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, Yorknew is still the best. I'd be willing to concede it if Gon vs. Pitou lives up to the the show's own hype.

This opinion is just wrong and you should feel bad. Chimera Ant arc is godtier.

Outside of 'dude chimera ant is godtier omg' I don't see well though out arguments for why something that lacks Hisoka, Kurapika, and The Phantom Troupe outside of a few scenes (ya know, the most interesting characters) is so damn awesome.

Randall Bush ‏@HalfricanBush 4h
@Red_Wulfboi @IGN HOLY CAT EARS BATMAN!!! So the suit makes you a beefcake w/cat ears?! thought Bruce Wayne was an average guy not @TheRock

sticker,375x360.u1.png

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Outside of 'dude chimera ant is godtier omg' I don't see well though out arguments for why something that lacks Hisoka, Kurapika, and The Phantom Troupe outside of a few scenes (ya know, the most interesting characters) is so damn awesome.

It's the way it all comes together in the end. The way it deals with it's themes and completely upends what we expect to happen. The hero who finally wins is probably the absolute weakest character in the series.

It's not about revenge, though there is a revenge arc, it's about the big questions. Who am I? Why am I here? What am I meant to do? It's about rebellion from expectations. Every character from the heroes to the big bad is can be related to. Our heroes are monsters and our monsters are human.

It's the way it all comes together in the end. The way it deals with it's themes and completely upends what we expect to happen. The hero who finally wins is probably the absolute weakest character in the series.

It's not about revenge, though there is a revenge arc, it's about the big questions. Who am I? Why am I here? What am I meant to do? It's about rebellion from expectations. Every character from the heroes to the big bad is can be related to. Our heroes are monsters and our monsters are human.

The Chimera Ant arc has more mature writing that touches on themes many shonen don't bother with, but doesn't every arc in HxH? This isn't the first time we've dealt with the pain of loss, feelings of helplessness, revenge, tragedy, existentialism etc. The Chimera Ant arc gels all these concepts into a very cohesive package but it isn't as original or ground breaking as people like to think.

My main issues are with the uneven pacing and lack of continuity. Pacing has to do with the length, I definitely feel like the arc went on too long and could have have been trimmed down if some of the exposition/meaningless stall fights were cut. As for the continuity, why the heck are the phantom troupe barely given screen time? Aren't they powerful, knowledgeable human fighters? I have a hard time believing they
would stay put in Meteor City doing jack shit
while the Chimera Ant threat grows larger. What about Hisoka? What's Kurapika doing this whole time as well? I don't understand why Togashi decided to omit the best members of the cast, at least Yorknew has everybody.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Chimera Ant arc has more mature writing that touches on themes many shonen don't bother with, but doesn't every arc in HxH? This isn't the first time we've dealt with the pain of loss, feelings of helplessness, revenge, tragedy, existentialism etc. The Chimera Ant arc gels all these concepts into a very cohesive package but it isn't as original or ground breaking as people like to think.

My main issues are with the uneven pacing and lack of continuity. Pacing has to do with the length, I definitely feel like the arc went on too long and could have have been trimmed down if some of the exposition/meaningless stall fights were cut. As for the continuity, why the heck are the phantom troupe barely given screen time? Aren't they powerful, knowledgeable human fighters? I have a hard time believing they
would stay put in Meteor City doing jack shit
while the Chimera Ant threat grows larger. What about Hisoka? What's Kurapika doing this whole time as well? I don't understand why Togashi decided to omit the best members of the cast, at least Yorknew has everybody.

It's far more subversive than Yorkshin was. In Yorkshin we knew who was good and who was bad. The Chimera Ant arc blurs that line. Some of the worst acts in the arc are committed by the heroes.

It sounds like part of your issue is that it didn't feature the characters you like. Which is fair enough, agree to disagree.

Has the anime actually gotten to the end of the chimera ant arc yet? No

Then those people who are only watching the anime need to wait and see the finale before you make a judgement call.

Yorkshin is just a really well done shonen fight arc, chimera ant arc is truly next level something that breaks all the rules of shonen and has the best ending to any arc ever

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I only follow the anime, but how many episodes are left in the Chimera Ant arc?

I feel it has about 5 or 6 episodes left.

What just happened?

Then those people who are only watching the anime need to wait and see the finale before you make a judgement call.

Yorkshin is just a really well done shonen fight arc, chimera ant arc is truly next level something that breaks all the rules of shonen and has the best ending to any arc ever

If I remember right we don't get the arc completely wrapped up until after the
election arc

"Shonen" is a vast, broad demographic. There aren't any set rules outside of common tropes that usually appear in mainstream action shonen.

It's far more subversive than Yorkshin was. In Yorkshin we knew who was good and who was bad. The Chimera Ant arc blurs that line. Some of the worst acts in the arc are committed by the heroes.

It sounds like part of your issue is that it didn't feature the characters you like. Which is fair enough, agree to disagree.

I'm pretty sure we know who is bad and who is good right from the start of the Chimera Ant arc when these talking insects/mammals are
slaughtering humans and building an army
. Yeah the king has more layers as a villain than your typical antagonist bent on world domination but come on. Nothing the heroes do in this arc is even close to
genocide
so when you compare their actions to that, their 'worst' acts aren't really a big deal.

Well no the anime hasn't gotten to the end of this arc yet but the manga did a long time ago. I'm not sure if you're referring to me or someone else in the thread when you say 'wait and see the finale' but I already know what happens and seeing it animated isn't going to change my opinion that Yorknew is a better overall arc. They're both very good but Yorknew feels like it 'fits' more.

Calling Yorknew a really well done shonen fight arc is like me saying Chimera Ant is just a really well done shonen fight arc - confusing and dumb (no offense). Both are much too nuanced to be pigeon holed like that in my opinion.

I do want to clarify that I'm not shitting on the Chimera Ant arc, just stating that I enjoyed Yorknew more and believe it to be superior. Different strokes of course.

That's good right? Or is it bad? I can't fucking read ratings reports!

Attack on Titan beat out a 9:30 PM Family Guy re-run that was competing against NFL draft coverage and the NBA/NHL playoffs.

On one hand it's awesome to beat a show like Family Guy that can pull in 2M+ on a re-run any day of the week.

On the other hand, Family Guy had more competition than AoT.

It's up to you to view the news as glass half empty or full.

Takashi

Hey ToonamiGAF, been lurking since way back when InuyashaGAF
rip
was comprised of about 2 or 3 posters lol. But it's pretty cool seeing both the thread and the block grow to what it is now, and the whole group watch and reading reactions is awesome.

Most of what toonami/adultswim has shown I've probably seen or at least generally know what is about. As far as general anime though, I've seen more than your casual watcher, but I haven't seen nearly as much as you guys.

Anyway I was kinda hoping I would be activated before AoT's premiere, but no big deal, joining you guys at the 3rd episode is just as fine so looking forward to that. I've already watched it and kept up with the manga, but I think watching it on toonami is a different experience, like something to look forward to if that makes sense.

Ever since I finished up Brotherhood during it's last run, I've had little incentive to stay up and complete the full 6.5 hour challenge. I've been going to bed/falling asleep after Blue Exorcist lately but am going to do a better job of staying up to watch Samurai Jack. I don't think I've seen an episode with everyone since the 3rd or 4th.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, things get odd around here during the weekday. Also, not shocked at those ratings considering the MASSIVE outside appeal Attack on Titan has already had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom