• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would someone like me who's only watched One Piece up to what's aired on Toonami be horribly spoiled by the Unlimited games? I've got an itch to play a OP game too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Would someone like me who's only watched One Piece up to what's aired on Toonami be horribly spoiled by the Unlimited games? I've got an itch to play a OP game too.

It'll spoil stuff.

EDIT: I'll clarify. It's not a complete retelling of story arcs like the Pirate Warrior games were (Or Romance Dawn, I suppose) but it will have characters you have not been introduced to doing various things out of context from the anime. Also there will be the different appearance and some new crew mates which you're probably spoiled on already. On the plus side if you don't care about these minor spoilers you can not only enjoy this but also the excellent One Piece movie Strong World released recently which has a similar level of non canon spoilers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wasn't really spoiled much in Pirate Warriors 2, but I also steered far away from the glossary & such that talked about each characters, terms, etc. All I know is that characters will appear later in the series....& that's it.

Can the same apply with UWR? Edit: Oh, sounds like it will.

Seda

I don't understand why it can't maintain its setting in Japan. I mean, I understand name changes and text translations, but the chopsticks? And why does the crying animation have to be taken out?

or in other words

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Should be even less spoilers than Pirate Warriors which I believe does the story arc by arc.

The other unlimited games I played take the basic characters and jumble them all up in a non canon sort of story.

I don't understand why it can't maintain its setting in Japan. I mean, I understand name changes and text translations, but the chopsticks? And why does the crying animation have to be taken out?

or in other words

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png
Because it's Disney and I guess they want the show to be relateable to little kids.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It makes me happy to see that Awkward Zombie comic making its way around GAF.

But yeah, if anything, it would be a decent way to be introduced to new cultures. Not THE best way, granted, but could make a kid get interested & want to learn more (tangential learning is the term, I think).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How did Disney even get these rights?

Anyways, who will Bryce voice in KlK?

I guess Disney higher-ups saw people call Doraemon the "Japanese Mickey Mouse" and thought "We've got to have a piece of that!"
One wonders if it will do well though. It's on Disney XD, a channel that isn't in as many homes as Disney Channel.

Toonami bug on screen? Nope. Hot Pockets logo on screen during Toonami? Maybe.

“It’s going to be very limited,” said Joe Hogan, executive vice president of young-adult ad sales for Time Warner’s Turner unit. “Everything we do on the network is done in a unique, surprising and interesting way and if we did this a lot, I think it would take away from it. It’s going to be thoughtful and deliberate, but it is not going to be something that is common on the network. It would be more uncommon.” He expected advertiser logos to turn up during programming “probably weekly but not daily.”

Kinda surprised at this, consider how much [as] has kept the viewing of a show pretty straightforward. But it also explains the recent rebrand:

The idea, said Hogan, is to sell a “package” of new advertising techniques. In addition to getting a logo placed on screen during programming in a subtle way, the advertiser also is incorporated into a video snippet called an “Insta-Vine” that features seconds-long scenes of outer space or countryside. That snippet would appear just after the end of a program segment and before traditional ads start to roll. As part of the pact, the advertiser would also get the first ad in the accompanying commercial break.

I guess Disney higher-ups saw people call Doraemon the "Japanese Mickey Mouse" and thought "We've got to have a piece of that!"
One wonders if it will do well though. It's on Disney XD, a channel that isn't in as many homes as Disney Channel.

True but it still reaches 70% of households, that's on par with MTV2.

ckohler

Sweet. I'm looking forward to hearing who they pick for Nonon. I think Kari Wahlgren makes the most sense.

What did I tell you guys?

Believe.

#KLKFall2014 #OnlyToonami

I'm with you. The show is insanely over-the-top. It would make for a rousing and entertaining ToonamiGAF experience. Also, we know for a fact that it's big on Toonami's radar. The only question is if it'll make it past the censors.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wonder what would happen if Gendo Ikari ran for political office. I'd say at least three opponents assassinated and the rest arrested for false fraud charges he staged.

I run on the platform of "America, get in the fucking robot".

Can't find the newest Bleach episode on Xfinity's on demand service so I'm watching Shippuden instead and they even kept the Batman special that aired cool.

Also I have to say it's amazing how much faster an episode of Shippuden goes when things actually happen... nothing with Naruto and co but the clone fights are helping things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom