• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I have some BAD NEWS

Adventure Time is only considered good because of how freaking terrible Cartoon Networks line up is as a whole, all their original content is terrible

I think it's considered good because the show is entertaining; it has won multiple primetime emmy awards. CN isn't the juggernaut it used to be in the late 90s/early 00s but I enjoy some of their original content. Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, and Clarence are awesome.

Neither of those cards are strictly sequential like say a lot of shonen anime, just partially so. So its not really a matter of "it gets good after X episodes". You can watch like episode 10 before episode 4 and it wouldn't matter but watching episode 57 before episode 29 might be confusing and you can watch episode 43 before watching episode 37 but episode 43 becomes X times better if you're already familiar with events of episode 37 (the episode numbers are random but I hope you can see my point). This also means its quite possible to see some random episodes of each show and not necessarily see what makes them great or see what about them might appeal to you.

Either way, you aren't required to like either show. It's a shame you don't because I think they are great shows but it's fine if you don't. However, when you say stuff like "stoner comedies", "worse than Johnny Test" or "only good by default" that's just some factually incorrect hyperbole :/

For me when things randomly happen that are supposed to be funny I classify it as a stoner comedy even if it really isn't. One example I can think of from regular show was when the raccoon was mocking the bird for not asking out a female character, they fought, bird somehow broke the space time continuum killing the raccoon character and ended up meeting time or fate or something who called him and ass hole before sending him back. All of this escalates over a span of like 2 minutes. It felt random for the sake of being random and not for good qualify entertainment, perhaps if I knew the characters/world better I'd be able to appreciate it more but as a one off episode I didn't. Maybe stone comedy is a bad term for this but random to be random has never appealed to me.

I stand by my good by default comment because of what I've seen none of these are enjoyable, yet one of them has to be the best. My earlier posts were obviously a bit cranked up but I do honestly not enjoy any of these shows from what I've seen of them.

Finally my comment about Johnny Test is being misread, I don't think its a good show either (I do like its opening though) but I also view it as a show for a 5-10 audience unlike the others which seem to be intended for a young teen audience. As a show for very little kids its slap stick and cheesy lines work even if I don't care much for them.

For me when things randomly happen that are supposed to be funny I classify it as a stoner comedy even if it really isn't. One example I can think of from regular show was when the raccoon was mocking the bird for not asking out a female character, they fought, bird somehow broke the space time continuum killing the raccoon character and ended up meeting time or fate or something who called him and ass hole before sending him back. All of this escalates over a span of like 2 minutes. It felt random for the sake of being random and not for good qualify entertainment, perhaps if I knew the characters/world better I'd be able to appreciate it more but as a one off episode I didn't. Maybe stone comedy is a bad term for this but random to be random has never appealed to me.

I stand by my good by default comment because of what I've seen none of these are enjoyable, yet one of them has to be the best. My earlier posts were obviously a bit cranked up but I do honestly not enjoy any of these shows from what I've seen of them.

Finally my comment about Johnny Test is being misread, I don't think its a good show either (I do like its opening though) but I also view it as a show for a 5-10 audience unlike the others which seem to be intended for a young teen audience. As a show for very little kids its slap stick and cheesy lines work even if I don't care much for them.

Almost every single episode of regular show has a supernatural element to it. The one you're talking about is where Rigby asks Margaret out to the movies and Mordecai gets jealous because he was too scared to make a move. Rigby gloats about his date with Margret which pisses off Mordecai so he hides all the clocks in the house. After waking up from a nap, Rigby can't tell what time it is and begins searching around for a clock so he won't be late for the date. Mordecai proceeds to throw all the clocks he hid into the microwave which breaks the space time continuum. While flying through the air on the microwave Rigby tells Mordecai to stop being jealous but he gets mad, pushes his friend off, and Rigby dies.

That's not random and it took up probably 70% of the episode, not 2 minutes. They actually make a call back to this in a future episode (Margret's Diary) to provide continuity.

Raxus

If you've watched an episode of Uncle Grandpa and can't figure out why anyone over the age of 5 hates it, I don't know what to say. CN has been experimenting with their original content which seems to get weirder and weirder but Uncle Grandpa takes this to the extreme. It's overly stupid, has annoying/unlikable characters, and terrible writing.

I only saw the pilot and with all CN shows I always approach them if they will at least be enjoyed by kids. I lost interest but I will take your word that they took things to the nth degree on weirdness and alienated their audience since even the pilot showed warning signs of that happening. At least it had a positive message wrapped in it.

iBtPtOyBjF742.gif

Bass, ya dun goofed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would like to quick agree that Johnny Test is a terrible show (thankfully my sister hasn't been watching it as much, but uuuggghhh). Aside from looking extremely cheap, it has to CONSTANTLY throw noise at you. A sound effect, a sound/music queue, someone yelling, SOMETHING has to be making noise. I noticed some other kids shows (like that Nick show Big Time Rush, UUUUGGGHHHHH) did this as well. I get they're suppose to be comedies, but damn it, let a moment sink in.

Tenumi

Banned
I simultaneously love and hate West Michigan. No extreme heat, but snow is plentiful. No earthquakes or severe tornadoes, but strong snow storms.

I think I hate winter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Adventure Time: For me, it was at it's best when it was still fresh. Now it seems too self-aware of what works, and it keeps on pushing at it, often times a bit to hard. It feels like it pushes the envelope less to do something meaningful, and more just to make you go "Wow, On a KIDS show?!?". It's much more irresponsible and loose than Regular Show, which is anything but..
*cackle*

When it works, it is great, though.

Regular Show: I feel like they've accepted their world, and have learned how to flesh it out constantly and consistently. It's animal and human characters interact as naturally as such a mix would in old 80s cartoons. It has a serious nostalgia-bend, but it's more to honor it, rather than just to exploit it for attention. And as mentioned earlier, it does a great job at treating relationships very well. Even someone as hair-brained as Rigby ocassionally calls himself out on the quality of his thinking, and characters often admit and deal with the things they do wrong. It's one of the most refreshing things about the show, and better than most animation of any type, in that regard.

Steven Universe: This show is so odd. I never find Steven annoying, he's always good at toting the line of being childish, and yet likable. He's truly the heart of the Gems. I want the show to be a bit more action-focused, because the idea of 4 powerful beings just... hanging around town all the time seems like a bit of a waste. I find it hard to believe Steven hasn't figured out his power, and what to do with it, yet.

But it's not really needed. The show takes the mundane, and makes it fun, in a fresh way for an American animation. And some of it's music really makes it feel like the first time I'd seen Laputa, Naussica, or Sailor Moon; beautiful and very "girl fantasy" friendy, and completely true and understanding to their audience and subject matter, yet full of quality.

Uncle Grandpa: Irresponsible and Stupid for the sake of Stupidity. In a way, I feel like it's a failed attempt to channel all the Canadian animation shows and shorts that Nick had back in the 80s/90s, but with horrendously bad execution. I don't like anyone on the show. There's nothing to feel good about, it's all just a quagmire of "eh". The show constantly seem to have no theme or direction, it just throws out situations without any reasoning. My least watched of all the shows.

Clarence: Why does LSP look like a boy, and have her own show?! I kinda like the fact that the show seems to take a boy who I'm sure would be the center of jokes and bullying, and make him into someone everyone seems to generally like. But I don't feel like it gives me anything I'm not already getting out of the first 3 shows.

Teen Titans GO!: I really WANT to dislike this show, and scream "GIVE ME BACK MY REAL TITANS!"... but it's way too much like watching SD parody of one of your favorite series, with all the important original talent in tow. It's fun. It's appropriately self-aware. They seem to well embrace everything there is to love and hate about the show, and work with it. Which reminds me of how I felt about the old TT show.

The Rest" Johnny Test reminds me of American Dubs of anime, with it's overuse of sounds, wordfit-to-fill-every-moment-with-speech dialog style, overly-hammy and gross jokes as if they HAVE to make up for the look of the show with equally lame writing, and just being annoying in general. -- TMNT 2012 Is great whenever I see it, and sems to respect the property. -- I kinda miss Flapjack and Chowder. -- Gumball actually kinda pleasantly suprises me every once in a while, but I get tired of seeing those kids running around nude or such. SO MANY STYLES in that show. I like it more than I expected to. -- I've never seen Gravity Falls at all...

That's a lot of cool interesting weird awesome Dandy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Toonami needs to end with Sailor Moon & Ronin Warriors for the final hour one of these years! Meatball heads and Quaking with FEARRRR for all!

Steven U's music totally gives me magical girl-ish vibes at times, though. Such as Rayearth and Sailor Moon, dunno about more modern shows save for like... Madoka.

MikeMyers

Toonami needs to end with Sailor Moon & Ronin Warriors for the final hour one of these years! Meatball heads and Quaking with FEARRRR for all!

Steven U's music totally gives me magical girl-ish vibes at times, though. Such as Rayearth and Sailor Moon, dunno about more modern shows save for like... Madoka.

Perhaps the new anime will if it is dubbed. It's gonna be weird hearing all new voices, but at least Mitsuishi and Furuya will be back.

In FINAL ACT, Furuya also voices
the Shikon no Tama itself

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Haha, I wonder if giving it a voice will feel as weird as
The Merry Speaking in One Piece.

And I think Kamen-Sama feels similar to as I do with "Gaming Discussion" today. "Ellie and Clem are Lollies!" - "Mario Kart is full of White Folk, like Toad and Toadette!"

(-_-;) - Slow news day?

MikeMyers

Schad confirmed to have bad taste in fashion.

Looks like Kubo needs to give him words of wisdom. Fashion is his department.

Haha, I wonder if giving it a voice will feel as weird as
The Merry Speaking in One Piece.

And I think Kamen-Sama feels similar to as I do with "Gaming Discussion" today. "Ellie and Clem are Lollies!" - "Mario Kart is full of White Folk, like Toad and Toadette!"

(-_-;) - Slow news day?

I kept expecting it to use the Wolf Fang Fist on Kagome. >_<

I'm sure he'd give some exciting one liners on the Gaming Discussions.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Clearly we need more Nintendo is doomed threads.

Totally! (-_-; ) Gaming discussion is such a hassle lately. "SHOCK! XB1 game lower resolution, already confirmed to look like DINOSAUR DUNG, confirmed!" Pixel counting, political statements that might or might not be intended, and blowing everything out of proportion... I just wanna talk about GAMES again, ha.

I kept expecting it to use the Wolf Fang Fist on Kagome. >_<

I'm sure he'd give some exciting one liners on the Gaming Discussions.

There's gotta be an UnkaPhil.Gif approved comment to go with this, but I'll sidestep that for now.

That'd totally be the way to save lame G.Discussion days, however.

Kubo's style I can get behind. I'd let that guy choose my clothes any day.

Yup, shinigami robes are the best fashion trend! ;)

Can the poses and photography of said clothes be directed by Hirohiko Araki? JoJoPose makes everything more Fashionista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom