• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure he was a junior member. Bass warned him last night about dub bitching too, not sure why he kept up the faux outrage.

To be fair it wasn't the dub bitching it was the insult of other users that probably got them banned. Saying "I don't like dubs and think subs are always superior" is fine, saying "if you like dubs I lose my respect for you" or "if you like this dub you should go kill yourself" you're not gonna last long on any message board let alone neogaf

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'll agree as of right now they made Jean come off as too much like an asshole and not as someone who is obviously thinking smarter and more realistic then Eren and his "UGGGH AVENGE AVENGE KILL DEM ALL LET'S GO 2 WAR YALL" mentality.

I don't think he came off as that big of an asshole at all. I got more of an asshole vibe from the original version.

Jean comes off more as a realist like "you wanna go fight the titans are you crazy train up to be the best so you can get into the military police and get away from the titans"

The only part of him that is salty is his obvious crush on Mikasa and the fact he and all other guys in the series are instantly on the loser path as Mikasa's brother childhood friend is the only guy she is interested in

Plus Eren insulted him and called him a weakling/coward first so when Eren was failing Jean was justified in his smug dismissal

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Samurai Jack put me into a dream fugue last night. I was there...I absorbed Jack and Clone Wars, and watched all of SBT in a more normal state, but I sure as shit didn't post much.

One Piece
Space Dandy
Black Lagoon
Naruto
FMA:B
Blue Exorcist
Attack on Titan
Bleach
Naruto Shippuden
Samurai Jack
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Symbionic Titan
Beware the Batman

Nothing was bad tonight at all, not even Shiny Shiny. The tippy top was only the first three this time, but the rest of the shows down to Bleach were really quite pleasant and the ones below were somewhere between pretty good and ok.

Levyne

Banned
Good day everyone.

I'm glad AoT dialed it back a little bit. Though with what people have been saying it could be the only episode like that. I'm with Meta in that I'm still not solid having a name for every face at the moment, a lot were introduced. Black Lagoon is really great, I'm not often very disappointed that I have to wait a week for another episode but I do feel that slightly here. I'm also kind of surprised that so many people here haven't seemingly seen it, relative to the other shows. It gives the thread a different vibe. Looking forward to that experience when Dandy S2 shows up as well, obviously. Bleach is actually in a better place right now. I can't nail the reasons why but I'm enjoying it a lot more. I think I just enjoy the characters present in these episodes a lot more than the various captains and lieutenants, who are most of the time only really around to check off the list of various fighting styles/powers and don't really have much more to their characters. This seems like a dangerous post to make without knowing what happens next though. Blue Exorcist has lost me. I can't take the new character seriously in the stupid outfit. And then as soon as she's introduced she becomes substitute teacher because of course she does. Neither Naruto is enjoyable at this point, I remember really thinking the first Deirdara encounter was pretty lame when I first marathoned the show, I imagine it will be worse as a weekly watch. The early Chunin exams are pretty boring as well. I'm super glad Space Dandy exists. Yesterday's episode might have been my favorite, and I really like most all of the ones from here on out. The show just puts me in a good mood, somehow. Hopefully the ratings are good since there was no playoff games and apparently the MMA fight was not really a factor.

As for DBZ, I wouldn't mind it as a show from 4-6. Though if it's going to be uncut Kai or Buu-Kai they will probably slide it around where Exorcist is. I guess I could be good with that.

Gorillaz

Did someone tip off that twitter account?

I wonder if the person that runs NeoGAF's worst posts lurks ToonamiGAF
First thing I thought as well.

I thought the account only messed with Gaming and OT. The few times I checked it, I don't remember it showing community post. Even then, for them to pick up the DBZ thing whoever wrote it must have been in the thread or told because there was no real build up to the discussion.
I don't think he came off as that big of an asshole at all. I got more of an asshole vibe from the original version.
Really? I might rewatch again. IT just came off more snobby where in the original it was more of a

"I'm just trying to stay alive and keep my head down. Not deal with this mess"

I will point out for those who don't know this training arc was done in flash back later in the manga and the anime decided to place it chronologically which I preferred. I felt it was weird in the manga when (upcoming anime spoilers)
we were expected to feel sad for characters who died that we didn't know and then expected to invest in them during a flash back when we already knew they were dead in the present

Also I'm pretty sure neogaf worst post doesn't normally look for post, people send him/her suggestions for terrible posts and then he/she tweets them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As for DBZ, I wouldn't mind it as a show from 4-6. Though if it's going to be uncut Kai or Buu-Kai they will probably slide it around where Exorcist is. I guess I could be good with that.

I'd stake my reputation that there's no way DBZ Kai airs anytime after midnight. They want the largest potential audience. Hell I'd say 11pm is more likely than anytime after 12:30am.

Raxus

We are at point where AOT is DEEP in spoiler territory so I hope people restrain themselves. *glares at bishop*

I have avoided discussion of it for this very reason.

Levyne

Banned
Ah I see, that guy for that post.

The amount of bans here is always just a bit alien to me. Do people just not know how to be...nice and respectful?

Tenumi

Banned
Yeah the whole DBZ on toonami debate happened during Space Dandy, I barely commented on the episode. Regardless of whether or not you like the show I think these facts remain the same:

1. It is the most requested show
2. It would be a ratings behemoth
3. It would bring in additional revenue allowing toonami to aquire new shows/create more original content
4. Kai has never aired uncut in the US

Not sure why anyone would be adamantly opposed to having Kai on the block, if you don't want to watch the show just do something else for 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure it'll end up being the Bleach replacement.

Really it was mostly shard going on about how Toonami doesn't need it and how toonami needs to escape the shadow of dbz and most of us going "its a matter of when not if"

That's what I definitely noticed before I went off to sleep last night. Personally, I think if they get it, it'd be a good addition to put in at 11 PM. Kick off the block with a rating's boon and hope people stick around for the new stuff.

I've always wondered who ran the NeoGaf twitter accounts. Is it more than one person?

My theory is the mods/admins run it. But I'm probably wrong.

MikeMyers

This post made NeoGaf's Worst Post and that dude got banned.
Don't let this happen to you.

To be fair, the songs do actually get in the way at times.

For Example: Yamcha has died, and Krillin screams in anguish over one of his closest friend's corpse.

-episode ends, hard cut to upbeat credits music-

~LIVE YOUR LIFE DON'T STOP TIL ITS DONE~

A great scene totally ruined by that for me.

To be fair, the songs do actually get in the way at times.

For Example: Yamcha has died, and Krillin screams in anguish over one of his closest friend's corpse.

-episode ends, hard cut to upbeat credits music-

~LIVE YOUR LIFE DON'T STOP TIL ITS DONE~

A great scene totally ruined by that for me.
The Shiny Shiny effect

MikeMyers

I just realized that Viz is probably out of Bleach episodes to dub. Damn, no wonder they bought Sailor Moon.

Oh Bleach, get Final Act'd soon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah the whole DBZ on toonami debate happened during Space Dandy, I barely commented on the episode. Regardless of whether or not you like the show I think these facts remain the same:

1. It is the most requested show
2. It would be a ratings behemoth
3. It would bring in additional revenue allowing toonami to aquire new shows/create more original content
4. Kai has never aired uncut in the US

Not sure why anyone would be adamantly opposed to having Kai on the block, if you don't want to watch the show just do something else for 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure it'll end up being the Bleach replacement.

It is because this is a show, Kai re-edit or not, that Toonami ran into the fucking ground back in its original form. It is fighting against the belief that Toonami is nothing without DBZ, like it is incomplete. It is about seeing Toonami embrace new blood instead of relying of the shadows of the past. If DBZ or DBZ Kai came in at 3:00 or 5:00 PM and did the Inuyasha/Cowboy Bebop retirement tour. I no more want to see DBZ on the block then I want to see Yu yu Hakasho, Gundam Wing, Ruroni Kenshin or any of the other legacy titles. I do not want to see a Toonami that is ramshackled by nostalgia and can never escape from. I am not foolish, it would bring ratings, to a point, and that might be one of the death-knells of the idea of Kai on Toonami actually. Demographics and all that, unsure how the idea of DBZ for adults would go down with Funimation. Instead of having DBZ Kai be the heir to Bleach, have it be Hunter X Hunter, a show that has never had the chance to make it. I am unsure how much clearer I can make this, I want to see Toonami back the Daniel Bryan's and less about back the Hulk Hogans in this year of 2014.

MikeMyers

I'm sitting here watching GT on nicktoons and it ain't half bad

The first 16 episodes were OK but they never rarely gave me a proper reason to believe the heroes were in real danger and it lacks tension and got boring at times.

Bebi arc is a lot of fun.

Super 17 is OK but it was mostly DBZ Movie 12 in saga form.

Shadow Dragon starts off fun but then it becomes one long battle between Fire-Ice-Omega Dragon. The final villain had no personality besides the fact he was evil. So it kind of gets boring there.

Seda

I've never slept until 3:30 before on Sunday, must have been exhausted.

I think I'm enjoying Space Dandy more on a second watch-through. It's nice to not have to worry about narrative or plot twists or pacing or etc; even if the comedy is a little off at times it's still a great change of pace from most of the other shows.Can't get frustrated if something doesn't make sense or doesn't fit just go with the flow baby.

Gorillaz

As someone coming back to Toonami/Anime after a 8ish year hiatus and (on a smaller degree WWE) I get what shard means with this

I want to see Toonami back the Daniel Bryan's and less about back the Hulk Hogans in this year of 2014.

There is irony with the statement that since DB's run has been lackluster but that's not his problem more so the booking. I see what he means tho, it's a new era so let some fresh faces get more exposure then a series that literally everybody knows. At the same time DBZ would be a ratings booster just because literally everybody wants it. I can live without it but I would understand why they would bring it back.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, it isn't anything personal against DBZ, I just subscribe to the adage that you need to be building new stars.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Just out of curiosity Shard. what would you bring to Toonami if you were in charge?

And that is episode 62, Gucci.

If I could, I suppose it would be Gundam, since that is a franchise that gets new entries and such on a continuous basis, also Build Fighters.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If I could, I suppose it would be Gundam, since that is a franchise that gets new entries and such on a continuous basis, also Build Fighters.

Did you really just knock Toonami for being too hung up on DBZ, then suggest Gundam as a hot new up-and-comer?

As far as new stuff goes, Toonami is doing what they need to do by putting shows like Space Dandy and Attack on Titan in the lead slot.

I also don't understand complaining about Kai when we have two goddamn shows worth of Naruto on every Saturday. You want to complain about something, there's your target.

Takashi

Attack on Titan
Bit of a slow episode considering it's mostly just introducing a lot of the other characters. Jokes were alright, nothing especially hilarious, but they worked in lightening the mood of the situation. Regarding concerns on not remembering the characters, it's only been the first episode with most of them. After I finished AoT, I looked up the manga and realized there's a focus on even more characters the anime doesn't really touch upon. Also, it took me quite a few episodes to remember everyone in Baccano and I still enjoyed it, so AoT shouldn't be a problem.

Also what Raxus said. Be careful with spoilers. I've already seen it AoT but for those who haven't, I'm not much of a fan of hinting things, like the Potato Girl thing for example. For anime in general, stuff like "Cant wait for episode x" also kinda lessens the impact when stuff happens, just sayin. I do understand though that it's difficult to withhold for that during the excitement of a group watch.

Bleach
Tried to pay attention to what was going on. Uryu's hurt, Ichigo's sister is thirsty, Ichigo is powerless, quirky villains are quirky. Didn't really interest me, my guess is it's part of a slow setup of the bad guys.

Space Dandy
Even on a second watch this episode really shines
sparkles
. Love how there's no breaks at all in its pace, and it just consistently keeps building up til the big finish.

Shippuden
Sakura does stuff and Naruto can't shut his mouth. I heard this fight takes 8 episodes? FFS I haven't seen this fight but I bet if you just clipped together the ACTUAL fight scenes they would only fill about 2 full episodes or something.

One Piece
Don't know why Eren gets so much hate for screaming a lot. From what I was kinda watching of OP, most conversations are screaming. It seems like screaming is akin to them using their library voices. Not that big of a deal though since it's shounen. But getting stuck is ridiculous. Unless it's some running gag I'm not aware of, it just seems like obvious padding.

Blue Exorcist
Boobs. Swords coming out of boobs. Shame the actual plot is kinda just getting started and it's halfway done. I have enjoyed what has aired though and have just taken it for what it is- an average fun anime. Little insights into Shiro's personality are always nice too.

Black Lagoon
Fuck I really want to finish this show already. Best thing on the block. Sucks to wait til next week. Hard to overlook that there's alot of the badass cliches and what not, but it feels just fine for some reason. I'm sure someone can probably put this alot more eloquently than I can.

DBZ comments
I would be indifferent to it returning or not cause if it does come back, I know damn sure people will complain if it's the Kai version. And if it's the original, do people really want to watch DBZ at 1 episode a week? I mean, that's the show that subconciously conditioned me as a kid to get used to SLOOOOOOOOOW PACING. If it wasn't for that I don't know how I would've stomached shit like Shippuden or just shounen in general. And tbh I feel DBZ Abridged has probably ruined even Kai for me cause that is the only pacing that seems acceptable in watching it.
a little slower would be ok too
Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom