• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Did you really just knock Toonami for being too hung up on DBZ, then suggest Gundam as a hot new up-and-comer?

As far as new stuff goes, Toonami is doing what they need to do by putting shows like Space Dandy and Attack on Titan in the lead slot.

I also don't understand complaining about Kai when we have two goddamn shows worth of Naruto on every Saturday. You want to complain about something, there's your target.

No, I was asked what franchise I would bring back and I would bring back the franchise that has new shows to its credit. Kai is a remix of the same old content we have seen for decades now. Also, you do know I rather hate Naruto and yea I wish Naruto was not a part of Toonami, I complain about that every week.

If I could, I suppose it would be Gundam, since that is a franchise that gets new entries and such on a continuous basis, also Build Fighters.
Yeah Shard, I'm not sure Gundam is a heavy hitter like Bleach or AoT is. They need something like Bleach that is very popular and long running. That way when they replace other shows on the block, they can be sure people will at least tune into that show. It's basic ratings 101. Why do you think Adult Swim has always syndicated Family Guy? It's very predictable and helps launch their original programming.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah Shard, I'm not sure Gundam is a heavy hitter like Bleach or AoT is. They need something like Bleach that is very popular and long running. That way when they replace other shows on the block, they can be sure people will at least tune into that show. It's basic ratings 101. Why do you think Adult Swim has always syndicated Family Guy? It's very predictable and helps launch their original programming.

No shortage of that, Fairy Tail, Hunter X Hunter or Toriko come to mind.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece
Don't know why Eren gets so much hate for screaming a lot. From what I was kinda watching of OP, most conversations are screaming. It seems like screaming is akin to them using their library voices. Not that big of a deal though since it's shounen. But getting stuck is ridiculous. Unless it's some running gag I'm not aware of, it just seems like obvious padding.

It's happened to Luffy before and Zorro always gets lost. It's mostly so they can't catch the Sea Train though. You'll see why that's important in an episode or two, it's worth it though.

Black Lagoon
Fuck I really want to finish this show already. Best thing on the block. Sucks to wait til next week. Hard to overlook that there's alot of the badass cliches and what not, but it feels just fine for some reason. I'm sure someone can probably put this alot more eloquently than I can.

That's because it's very very well done. A cliche isn't a bad thing, it's cliche for a reason. The only time a cliche is bad is when they're used in excess and instead of actual development, for either the plot or characters. Using them as jokes and subverting them is also using them well.

Basically what you've noticed is that Black Lagoon is one of the two best put together shows on the block, One Piece being the other. Though if you're behind on One Piece you won't notice that for a while.

Gorillaz

The reason Lagoon feels different probably stems for the fact it's one of the biggest love letters to Quentin Tarantino flicks on the Toonami block and possibly out there in terms of anime. Add in the fact that they make anything relationship wise ambiguous, purposely, like Rock and Revy (there are hints of something there physically it's just not shown or important in the show) , and then you realize that it's almost an "anti" shonen show. I mean the opening "deep" monologue of the first episode of the series ends with the main character getting cut off and punched.

Takashi

It's happened to Luffy before and Zorro always gets lost. It's mostly so they can't catch the Sea Train though. You'll see why that's important in an episode or two, it's worth it though.

I knew about Zoro getting lost a lot, just didn't know getting stuck there was a variation of that. What I've seen of this arc is quite good though, I think I'll pay more attention to it from now on and just catch up on previous stuff by reading the manga (eventually lol)

That's because it's very very well done. A cliche isn't a bad thing, it's cliche for a reason. The only time a cliche is bad is when they're used in excess and instead of actual development, for either the plot or characters. Using them as jokes and subverting them is also using them well.

Basically what you've noticed is that Black Lagoon is one of the two best put together shows on the block, One Piece being the other. Though if you're behind on One Piece you won't notice that for a while.

Very well put, thanks. I always love when shows subvert tropes- when its done well of course.

The reason Lagoon feels different probably stems for the fact it's one of the biggest love letters to Quentin Tarantino flicks on the Toonami block and possibly out there in terms of anime. Add in the fact that they make anything relationship wise ambiguous, purposely, like Rock and Revy (there are hints of something there physically it's just not shown or important in the show) , and then you realize that it's almost an "anti" shonen show. I mean the opening "deep" monologue of the first episode of the series ends with the main character getting cut off and punched.

I was actually thinking about this last night. Would BL be classified as a seinen or a shounen?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I knew about Zoro getting lost a lot, just didn't know getting stuck there was a variation of that. What I've seen of this arc is quite good though, I think I'll pay more attention to it from now on and just catch up on previous stuff by reading the manga (eventually lol)

Very well put, thanks. I always love when shows subvert tropes- when its done well of course.

Catching up is absolutely worth it. It's the kind of show that pays off more and more as it goes on, constantly building on what came before. Some of the best moments in this arc have their seeds far in the past and the pay off is much better if you've read or seen it already.

There's one moment in particular in the arc after this one that doesn't work unless you're all caught up. If you are it absolutely blows your mind to pieces.

I was actually thinking about this last night. Would BL be classified as a seinen or a shounen?

Seinen, I would hope anyway :lol

Anyone have a high res version of this without the 'TOONAMIGAF'?

nnmxHLV.jpg

I want to use it as a wallpaper.

ckohler

Not saying it's bad or anything but AoT humor really through me off

I felt the same way. It just comes from left field. I never expected humor in this show. It doesn't really fit the overall tone.

Attack On Titan Pretty good episode. I'm glad it ended with them using their 3D gear so we don't have to watch more training. I honestly didn't see the twist with his gear being broken coming. I'm so used to sucky protagonists I was assuming he'd never be able to use it. Lol.

Bleach - I enjoy when Orihime is being super cute fantasizing about the clueless Ichigo and she did a lot. Poor girl. Otherwise, this episode just feel like more setup padding. Bring on the new bad guys! I do like how everyone is legit-shook that they don't know what this new power is.

Space Dandy - I skipped this. Good episode from what I remember last time.

Shippuden - I skipped this. I've also entirely given up on this show. Someone please let me know when an episode comes along that might change my opinion.

One Piece - I missed this. :( I intended to watch but didn't get back in time.

Blue Exorcist - Yeah, so this show is entirely by-the-numbers but it's my guilty pleasure. I just enjoy it and I'm not even sure why. It must be the characters and animation because the story is severely lacking. Hopefully now that boob teacher is here things can finally begin.

Black Lagoon - OH MY GOD. Seriously. This was just... wow. So epic. So amazing. A blockbuster. How could I never know this show existed before Toonami? I skim the AnimeGAF thread all the time but never remember this show being mentioned once. This is Cowboy Bebop tier and in some ways, more. I'm on the edge of my seat!

Beware the Batjobber - Okay, so I liked the character model on Magpie. That's it. I get that Batman is inexperienced but man, the dude is getting his ass handed to him left and right. "Let's make a Batman show where Batman can't instill fear." Bad idea. I still can't get used to Alfred being more buff than Bats. Hell, even Gordon is built like a tank but then Bats is like this lanky pushover.

I fell asleep after that.

Gorillaz

Beware da Bat, is so got damn terrible. Whoever said it last night, that show was probably made from a bet between producers to see how shitty they can do a batman show, is probably right.

I think it's officially considered seinen? Go back and try to catch what you missed tho, it's easy to kill through episodes and not even realize it.

I'm interested are there actually shonen that are actually parodies of the genre or makes fun of shonen like BL does at times?

Takashi

Catching up is absolutely worth it. It's the kind of show that pays off more and more as it goes on, constantly building on what came before. Some of the best moments in this arc have their seeds far in the past and the pay off is much better if you've read or seen it already.

There's one moment in particular in the arc after this one that doesn't work unless you're all caught up. If you are it absolutely blows your mind to pieces.

I do remember being really into Arlong Park when it aired on 4kids. Back then I wasn't aware that it would have so many arcs, so I thought once they finished the Arlong "side story", they would get back to the Grand Line and continue the main story of finding One Piece. I think it was shortly afterward that they go to Alabasta and I thought, "please just make a short stop here for a few episodes so we can get back to the grand line". Was obviously wrong lol. The beginning of Alabasta was as far as I got.

And yeah I label it as a seinen too, just curious if some people thought differently since it's on an action block.

I think it's officially considered seinen? Go back and try to catch what you missed tho, it's easy to kill through episodes and not even realize it.

Oh I've seen every episode of BL that's been shown on toonami so far. Unless you mean catch up on One Piece.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I do remember being really into Arlong Park when it aired on 4kids. Back then I wasn't aware that it would have so many arcs, so I thought once they finished the Arlong "side story", they would get back to the Grand Line and continue the main story of finding One Piece. I think it was shortly afterward that they go to Alabasta and I thought, "please just make a short stop here for a few episodes so we can get back to the grand line". Was obviously wrong lol. The beginning of Alabasta was as far as I got.

And yeah I label it as a seinen too, just curious if some people thought differently since it's on an action block.

Oh I've seen every episode of BL that's been shown on toonami so far. Unless you mean catch up on One Piece.

Man, 4kids cut all the good stuff. If you liked that abomination then you'll love the legit version.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sometimes I do wonder what 4Kids would do had they actually continued One Piece.
Not only does the series get darker in tone, but they'd have to deal with a multitude of plot holes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sometimes I do wonder what 4Kids would do had they actually continued One Piece.
Not only does the series get darker in tone, but they'd have to deal with a multitude of plot holes.

They probably would have killed themselves when they got to
Thriller Bark

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
They probably would have killed themselves when they got to
Thriller Bark

Oh man
And if they survived that, there was also
Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford
Really, every arc deals with some really dark or suggestive theme.

Also, I want to punch people that say "Zolo" sounds better. Square in the nose.
And yes, I've seen people say that, and show nostalgia for the 4Kids dub. Granted, that dub is 10 years old this year.

Gorillaz

The one thing 4kids did decent was make their own opening themes for shows.

I mean, 5DS opening theme Hyper Drive, I CAN FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL YOU BREATHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

it's so 4kids like that it's actually catchy. I feel ashamed that I like it.

Tenumi

Banned
Wow, Black Lagoon was fun. Currently finishing up my recordings with Beware the Batman. I've been impressed with it, but I can understand why for those that haven't been.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh man
And if they survived that, there was also
Amazon Lily, Impel Down, Marineford
Really, every arc deals with some really dark or suggestive theme.

Also, I want to punch people that say "Zolo" sounds better. Square in the nose.
And yes, I've seen people say that, and show nostalgia for the 4Kids dub. Granted, that dub is 10 years old this year.

Oh man, imagine how they handle
Robin's flashback
? They'd never survive it.

Oh man, imagine how they handle
Robin's flashback
? They'd never survive it.

Woah I almost just posted massive spoilers

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT FOR UPCOMING STUFF

That'd be an easy fix, have her family and friends be "taken away" by the government and have her home island "lost forever"

This is the same company that change "my brother was killed in a war by a tank shell" to "that tank took my brother away and I'll get him back no matter what"

The coloring on this show sucks compared to '03.

Bass went to bed

Not only is it the truth but it's an acceptable test to make sure he left!

Doesn't mean I won't go back and read the comments anyways

And as I've said before, saying that the coloring looked better in one version or another is the one thing I really can't argue because I'm color blind :'( Why you gotta be so mean Man God

bigkrev

Please share because I read this a week ago and have no idea what you are talking about.

Takashi

I didn't know SAO was popular enough to warrant a second season. Can't wait for the inevitable Toonami airing.

A male power fantasy main character who is so uber hax powerful, can do anything by breaking the rules of any game, and get all the girls to thirst for him, even his boobalicious sister, isn't popular enough for you? He even wears all black. What's not to love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom