• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
so I was thinking of actually catching up on One Piece

unfortunately dubbed episode availability is hit-or-miss

I have amazon prime, a crunchyroll subscription, and of course access to the free episodes on Hulu

looks like I'd have to switch to subbed episodes a ways in

that's a LOT of episodes, though.

a LOT

First five seasons of Bleach are on Amazon Prime, too.

then I saw we're apparently on season TWENTY-FIVE

Amazon sucks at organizing shows.

bigkrev

so I was thinking of actually catching up on One Piece

unfortunately dubbed episode availability is hit-or-miss

I have amazon prime, a crunchyroll subscription, and of course access to the free episodes on Hulu

looks like I'd have to switch to subbed episodes a ways in

that's a LOT of episodes, though.

a LOT

First five seasons of Bleach are on Amazon Prime, too.

then I saw we're apparently on season TWENTY-FIVE

Reading the Manga is probably the most realistic way to catch up. Your local library probably has all of the volumes, and there are only 70 of them, which should take you 30-45 mins each to read. And where Toonami is right now is somewhere in the mid 30s as far as volumes go if you wanted to just skip ahead.

I'd recommend the manga just because even the undubbed anime has aspects of censorship that alter some people's backstory
ok it happened like once maybe twice and near the beginning

Seda

Did you know that the Toonami crew will be making their return appearance (and only scheduled convention appearance for 2014) at MomoCon next weekend in Atlanta? On May 24th at 7PM, the Jason DeMarco, the Toonami staff (including the voice actress for SARA, Dana Swanson) will be on stage, answering YOUR questions.

Trust me, you’ll want to be in attendance. The great gang over at Toonami Faithful will be recording the panel to be posted online, but coming to the panel in person will let you ask your question in person, alongside being eligible for prizes!

The panel might just reveal the future of the block as well. Remember, last year revealed TOM 5, the new Absolution, and One Piece, just to start. Since then, we’ve had everything great from Space Dandy and Attack on Titan to Beware the Batman and Black Lagoon join the block.

For those of you who are simply unable to make it to Atlanta, don’t fret. I will select some questions from the Internet to ask at the panel; you may just get to pick their brains from countries away, even. Make sure to send your questions for them as an Ask to me. If you’re reading this and don’t have a Tumblr account, feel free to send it to @ChadBonin on Twitter.

http://chadbonin.tumblr.com/post/86214318441/lets-talk-toonami-at-momocon-2014

Wanna ask us a question, but can’t come to Momocon this Saturday? Send it to Chad (link above) and you may get it answered! If you ARE coming, and we hope you are, we’ll have some special goodies to give away that you can only get in person! AND we’ll have a special presentation for the folks in the room. Come join Jason, Gill, Sara, Jonny and Dana!

-Love, the Toonami Crew

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/86220791098/lets-talk-toonami-at-momocon-2014

Amikami

Banned
I started One Piece 2 weeks ago. I'm on chapter 28.
KuGsj.gif
I know I can do better.

Not everyone has unlimited time to catch up on a bloated shonen series. I just read the wiki and watched clips on skypeia.

But there's no rush to catch up. The ideal method is reading the manga at one's own pace. It doesn't matter if it's one chapter a day, or ten chapters a week, or twenty chapters a month.

Just reading the wiki is the lazy way out.

But there's no rush to catch up. The ideal method is reading the manga at one's own pace. It doesn't matter if it's one chapter a day, or ten chapters a week, or twenty chapters a month.

Just reading the wiki is the lazy way out.

Not everyone is a One Piece superfan. Not everyone likes reading manga either. People have lives and most adults have a limited amount of free time during which they can consume various forms of entertainment. I have a lot of things competing for my attention and would rather read the wiki and supplement that with YouTube clips to find out what happened instead of waiting months or years. That's not being lazy, it's having different priorities in life.

Also, H-Town already indicated he doesn't want to read the manga so this is a moot point.

One Piece catches you up on a lot of the backstory with some upcoming flashback episodes either way. I don't know how good they are for that since I skipped them, but since each crew member gets an episode I'd assume they're fairly decent.

bigkrev

You can start with the "Episode of Nami" TV movie, which is the whole Arlong Park story in about 90 minutes, and you don't really need anything earlier than that.

So Toonami GAF I've been presented with a unique choice and I need some advice on.

My family is taking a trip to Alaska this summer which I think I've mentioned before, I can go for free (food, air faire, and staying are all free) for 10 days the only cost would be not getting paid for those days I miss work as I don't have vacation time yet.

However last night my parents gave me an option to stay home and watch the house/dog for $250 dollars and not miss any work. The one thing is I've got a childhood friend who lives in Alaska and I haven't seen her in over 10 years and I dunno if I'll get a chance to see her again anytime soon, let alone go to Alaska.

I have until tomorrow night to decide and I've been going back and forth. I'm not rolling in cash but I'm not so strapped for cash and could afford to take the time off. It would be about $400 dollars I'd miss if I took the time off. Any thoughts/advice would be great

Go to alaska

Pros: see child hood friend
See alaska
Everything is free

Cons:
Miss over a week of work (~$400)
Not get an extra $250

Stay home

Pros: don't miss any work (~$400)
Get an extra $250
Have the house to myself for 10 days

Cons: don't see childhood friend until
Don't see alaska
Have to pay for food/gas while home
Still have to go to work

Love some thoughts from everyone

bigkrev

Don't be an idiot. The odds of you ever getting a trip like that for $600 in the future is absolutely zero. Alaska is incredible in the summer.

You will hate yourself forever if you don't go

Not everyone is a One Piece superfan.

You don't have to be to read the manga or watch the anime if you're interested enough and still enjoy it.

Not everyone likes reading manga either.

Which is also fine. Both the anime and the manga are good options. Different strokes and all that jazz.

People have lives and most adults have a limited amount of free time during which they can consume various forms of entertainment.

Which is why I said there's no rush. A lot of newcomers have this mentality that they need to catch up as quickly as possible, and that's one of the worst ways to marathon One Piece (manga or anime).
This series isn't going anywhere.

I have a lot of things competing for my attention and would rather read the wiki and supplement that with YouTube clips to find out what happened instead of waiting months or years. That's not being lazy, it's having different priorities in life.

I caught up with the anime back in 2009, when I was working full-time. This was back when there was over 400 episodes, and whatever little free time I had was spent watching a few episodes here and there.
Even though it took me almost six months to get up to date, I was still enjoying the series and didn't want to spoil myself to any future events in the arc I was in at the time.

daveo42

Banned
Bass, go to Alaska. The flight alone with worth what money you'll miss if you stayed home. Plus when will you have the opportunity to go back to Alaska on someone else's dime? I'd take the free trip to see Alaska by itself. You get to go and see a old friend.

Take the trip man.

SykoTech

Htown, if you're seriously interested in catching up with One Piece, definitely do not read the Wiki or watch YouTube clips. None of those little tibits will get you to care as much as the real deal will. And you'll probably end up spoiling yourself on a ton of future stuff in a flash on the Wiki. YouTube can also be spoilerific thanks to its Recommended VIdeos thing (and the comments section of course, but I'd like to think that everyone knows not to read those).

You said you're not going to read the manga, so just watch the anime. I'm pretty sure that everyone here is "an adult with a life", but I don't think anyone is so busy that they can't set aside less that half an hour a day to watch a show that their interested in catching up on. That's what I did about 3 years ago, although I eventually started watching more than just one episode a day once the show started hooking me. Same might happen to you too.

Gorillaz

I would take the trip but just see how much it would set you back first. If it's not paid vacation make sure you can take that financial hit.

Experiences (and free food and travel) >> a few days of money (especially if you aren't strapped for cash)

edit: if you don't dislike your family or traveling with them then there is no real question to me .

Amikami

Banned
Go Bass. Money isn't everything. Flying with family to see old friends and visit nice places is also apart of life. Have some fun. Fun can be just a good for you as money.

You don't have to be to read the manga or watch the anime if you're interested enough and still enjoy it.

Which is also fine. Both the anime and the manga are good options. Different strokes and all that jazz.

Which is why I said there's no rush. A lot of newcomers have this mentality that they need to catch up as quickly as possible, and that's one of the worst ways to marathon One Piece (manga or anime).
This series isn't going anywhere.

I caught up with the anime back in 2009, when I was working full-time. This was back when there was over 400 episodes, and whatever little free time I had was spent watching a few episodes here and there.
Even though it took me almost six months to get up to date, I was still enjoying the series and didn't want to spoil myself to any future events in the arc I was in at the time.

I think you missed my main point. Not everyone has the same life situation as you, I'm not going to spend hours a day catching up on episodes or the reading the manga for a bloated shonen. I have friends, family, a girlfriend and other entertainment options vying for my attention every single day so it's not feasible to sit down and catch up on One Piece unless I want it to take months or years. I'm not a huge fan of the series so why the heck would I put myself through all that effort when I can read the wiki and watch clips of the important parts? I feel like all the people saying 'oh no you HAVE to read the manga, reading the wiki or watching clips is lazy/subjecting yourself to potential spoilers are being unreasonable. I didn't ruin one single future plot point so that's a dumb argument and I already addressed how it's not laziness.

I feel like this thread's One Piece fanbase can be pushy at times, especially if you have a dissenting opinion.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Don't break your laptop screen when they announce Kai at momocon

I would not put money on the bet of Kai coming to Toonami. Though seriously, go outside into the wider world and you will understand why I hate that parcitular segment of the alleged Toonami population.

Takashi

As already stated multiple times, go to Alaska. iirc you said you worked retail? Fuck retail. Doing any other activity is better than working retail, even more so going on a paid trip with your family.

I would not put money on the bet of Kai coming to Toonami. Though seriously, go outside into the wider world and you will understand why I hate that parcitular segment of the alleged Toonami population.

Oh I've interacted with fanboys who wear DBZ short sleeved button downs and white new balance sneakers.

They're normal people.

I think there is room in the time slot for a slice of nostalgia, yes that isn't what original Toonami was about but they can't say shit when they tried to play up Tenchi Muyo GXP and have Naruto uncut here in reruns. As for the contingent lusting for Toonami to become nothing but a bunch of old shows, well they are definitely annoying and shouldn't be listen to. But I think Toonami has a middle ground with the time allotted to it every week to have some long running shows, some shorter stints, some new shows and reruns/nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom