• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

^pretty cool
Transistor is fantastic so far. This music
p0QHO.gif

I love that song they used in the e3 trailer last year. The art style is amazing

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why you gotta go there, Man God?

Because I had a bad dream last night!

Not that far from the truth actually

I couldn't figure out why it was back in my head, Schad, until I realized that the preview for the next episode theme of Samurai 7 sounds an awful lot alike. It was driving me bananas.

Because I had a bad dream last night!

Not that far from the truth actually

I couldn't figure out why it was back in my head, Schad, until I realized that the preview for the next episode theme of Samurai 7 sounds an awful lot alike. It was driving me bananas.
That song will stay with you forever and ever, Man God. I only saw the episode once and it's still with me. Also, Shippuden uses the instrumentals as BGM. Heheh.

Amikami

Banned
The bonus is no Bleach. The bad news is we still have Shippuden.

:O But next Shippuden is pretty good. I'm happy to see the ratings are somewhat improved from last weekend I think.

Poor Seda. So many high expectations. So many people to NOT disappoint. What a burden.

Seda

:O But next Shippuden is pretty good. I'm happy to see the ratings are somewhat improved from last weekend I think.

Poor Seda. So many high expectations. So many people to NOT disappoint. What a burden.

I know what to expect now that this is the second year. Also Absolution will back me up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I could go if I could pay for transportation (& also hotel possibly, but getting there is the big thing) due to living in MI...

Mature

Ratings are in

11:30PM Attack on Titan 0.9 HH, 1.344 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 0.7 HH, 1.012 million viewers
12:30AM Space Dandy 0.7 HH, 1.014 million viewers
1:00AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.7 HH, 969,000 viewers
1:30AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 847,000 viewers
2:00AM Blue Exorcist 0.6 HH, 804,000 viewers
2:30AM Black Lagoon 0.5 HH, 708,000 viewers
3:00AM Beware the Batman 0.6 HH, 772,000 viewers
3:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 771,000 viewers
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 732,000 viewers
4:30AM Samurai Jack 0.5 HH, 647,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.5 HH, 630,000 viewers
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.4 HH, 563,000 viewers

Source
The disparity between AoT and Bleach is pretty telling. Can't say I'm surprised!

I know what to expect now that this is the second year. Also Absolution will back me up.
I'll make sure to ask all the important questions like:

1) Why dont they just omit all the commercials and play full OPs?
2) When is Cooler's Revenge playing?
3) Why do you show dubs instead of subs?
/s

Seriously though, I'll ask some questions if you guys have them.
You can crash at night at

My place for free. I won't mind.
Fixed for clarity.

Raxus

Wow even Space Dandy is beat Bleach, figures the second I show an iota of interest in the show it sinks in the ratings. It should pick back up if the arc is as bad as I hear later on.

Oh Black Lagoon. If only you were more moe with Rock as the teenage shojo protagonist who musn't run away.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You keep holding an illogical position

I have already explained the logic of my position time and again. Aside from my personal feelings on the matter, there are too many unknown variables here to reasonable say that Kai could be able to come to Toonami. I will say that I do agree that Cooler's Revenge is a litmus test for more Dragon Ball Z on Tonami, maybe not Kai, but more movies. The ratings for this event will be very important indeed.

I have already explained the logic of my position time and again. Aside from my personal feelings on the matter, there are too many unknown variables here to reasonable say that Kai could be able to come to Toonami. I will say that I do agree that Cooler's Revenge is a litmus test for more Dragon Ball Z on Tonami, maybe not Kai, but more movies. The ratings for this event will be very important indeed.

You can explain your thought process over and over again, it doesn't make it any less dumb. All I've seen you post is 'wahh toonami needs to escape the shadow of dbz, I'm tired of everyone saying the block is nothing without it' when nobody has claimed that. I think it's clear to everyone that you dislike the show, which is fine, but you've straight up ignored the benefits the property would bring and the fact that a large, vocal portion of the toonami fanbase wants it back.

Increased exposure. More revenue. New acquisitions. More original content. All of these would happen if they got Kai or the original series. I don't know why you have this personal vendetta against the show but you've got to come up with better arguments than 'toonami isn't a nostalgia block' or 'I just don't like DBZ' to have a legitimate point man.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You know, I thought the point of NeoGAF's "no free e-mail" registration policy was to keep idiots out.
And yet I see horrible posts like that guy that called Major Nelson a child molester.

I guess even idiots can get ISP-provided e-mails...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You can explain your thought process over and over again, it doesn't make it any less dumb. All I've seen you post is 'wahh toonami needs to escape the shadow of dbz, I'm tired of everyone saying the block is nothing without it' when nobody has claimed that. I think it's clear to everyone that you dislike the show, which is fine, but you've straight up ignored the benefits the property would bring and the fact that a large, vocal portion of the toonami fanbase wants it back.

Increased exposure. More revenue. New acquisitions. More original content. All of these would happen if they got Kai or the original series. I don't know why you have this personal vendetta against the show but you've got to come up with better arguments than 'toonami isn't a nostalgia block' or 'I just don't like DBZ' to have a legitimate point man.

If you think nobody has ever not claimed that Toonami is nothing without DBZ, you are in a bigger bubble then I thought at first. I dislike the show yes, a lot of it has to do with the fact IT NEVER GOES AWAY. It keeps getting milked and milked and milked in new permeation of the same old content to the point where pander of this low order actually exists.

This actually ties into how Dragon Ball Z being on Toonami is bad, acquiring DBZ will take resources, it will take time and money that could be better used on getting the Dragon Ball Z of the future as it were. It is also about expectations, what are the expectations of Dragon Ball Z on Toonami, what sort of ratings are they expecting, they might not be able to reach those expectations just because Dragon Ball Z is that played out. Also, just because there is a large amount of vocalness, doesn't exactly mean like the majority of Toonami is clamoring for DBZ.

Also, the demographics game is at play here, do you know why DBZ Kai Majin Buu Arc exists? It exists because international merchandise sales warrant its existence and I am unsure if the likes of Funimation, TOEI and Bandai are interested in something as adult focused as current day Toonami. The notion that DBZ on Toonami mean automatic success and ratings bonanza is not nearly as certain as you think it is. Indeed, the more I puzzle it out the more I understand Cooler's Revenge. This IS a litmus test about the true viability of DBZ, and while it has it flaws, like the movie looks like complete ass in Turner Stretch-O-Vision. Anyway, basic point is DBZ is a show we all watched back in the day but now it is a new day and Toonami can reach its ultimate goals without Dragon Ball Z.

daveo42

Banned
You know, I thought the point of NeoGAF's "no free e-mail" registration policy was to keep idiots out.
And yet I see horrible posts like that guy that called Major Nelson a child molester.

I guess even idiots can get ISP-provided e-mails...

Missed that post, but wtf do you have be thinking when you post that. It's like you forgot you can actually get banned for saying stupid shit unlike some other sites.

The only way to keep them out is letting them in and then banning them. At least some of those posts are entertaining.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh right, moving on from the dullness that is DBZ, I wanted to post this GIF of the latest Soul Eater NOT episode here to show how bad this show really is.

fa11460obkrk.gif

MikeMyers

Shard's post got me thinking how many times the series has been released. Damn, quite a lot!

1. Single Sets DVD
2. Redub of Saiyan/Namek Arc DVD [Cancelled]
3. Remastered Season Set DVD
4. Dragon Box DVD
5. Level Sets Blu-Ray [Cancelled]
6. Rock the Dragon Set DVD
7. Season Sets Blu-Ray

And then there is Kai.

Takashi

King of Games is doing somersaults in his grave.

Just caught up but I laughed at that WAY more than I should have lol.

And speaking of ratings, Gucci I remember you saying you had a job at Nielsen or were going to get a job related to that. Do you know how accurate Nielsen ratings are anyway? Like are they really that important? Or do they carry as much weight as say news polls where they poll a number of "demographically different" people to get a percentage?

Shard I would love for you to pull up posts from people in here saying toonami is nothing without DBZ or are you just reading a few random twitter comments and assuming everyone has that opinion? I suspect the latter. At least you finally admitted you just have an irrational hatred for the show which explains your stance. I don't think DBZ holds up very well anymore now that I'm an adult but I'm not foolish enough to ignore the benefits it would bring to the block. I think this discussion is done, you don't have anything worth responding to that I haven't already addressed before so there's no point in shitting up the thread.

And FYI, DBZ is the most requested show for the block. You can stop denying that fact whenever you're ready.

And speaking of ratings, Gucci I remember you saying you had a job at Nielsen or were going to get a job related to that. Do you know how accurate Nielsen ratings are anyway? Like are they really that important? Or do they carry as much weight as say news polls where they poll a number of "demographically different" people to get a percentage?

I had a couple of interviews but didn't get the job unfortunately. As far as accuracy goes, Nielsen only samples a few thousand households, tracks their daily viewing habits, and extrapolates the results. The numbers don't really matter, demographics do, mainly 18-35 because they buy the most shit. Advertisers covet these viewers.

If you look at the HH number, it tells you roughly the percentage of US households who tuned into a particular program. Hope this helps, mightynine is also very knowledgeable, he's probably best able to answer any in-depth questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom