• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Different groups of kids finally old enough to waste money on giant dvd sets.

This should be it...until someone finally has the gumption to actually remake DB/DBZ.

Dragonball:Gohanhood.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gohan is far, far, far, far, far, far, far less annoying.

Though there is no hot goth aged up version of him. Teen Gohan is a turbo nerd.

MikeMyers

He was annoying as hell at the Cell Games, not to mention out-of-character with his "I dont want to fight you Cell, but I trained 4 years for this, and my character development in the Saiyan Arc was about getting over this"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gotta disagree with you there, I find his whole character arc to be the best one in the entire series up until then.

He's a boy of peace, a reluctant fighter who'd rather talk things out. His dad knows that only he can actually make it to SSJ2 on time (ignoring the equally plausible idea that with another year in the time chamber Goku could have almost certainly gotten strong enough to do the deed himself, that's just the truth and you know it speculation) so he pushes him into the role. Once that pressure is gone he goes back to his studies. His bit in the Buu arc is the only part of it I find really intriguing outside of the Mr. Satan comedy segments.

MikeMyers

But his whole character arc in the Saiyan Arc was about gaining the will to fight even though he doesn't like it. On Namek, he has no problems with fighting. Then he trains for several years to fight the Androids, and then a year in the Time Chamber to fight Cell. Yet when it comes to the actual fight, he goes on about how he doesnt want to fight. WTF.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He is still extremely young in that first arc and was also kidnapped by an evil green yoshi, possibly brainwashed.

He also didn't have anywhere near the amount of training the rest had and his only real experiences with combat were traumatic as hell.

MikeMyers

In comparison:

He was the only one that could save Piccolo and Co when Nappa was beating them. Yet, he didn't act, he didn't try, he just stood there.

He was the only one that could save Goku when Vegeta was beating him. So he acted, he tried his best, and he managed to save him.

He was the only one that could save Piccolo when third form Freeza was beating him. So he acted, he tried his best, and he managed to save him.

He was the only one that could save Piccolo and co. when Cell/Cell Jr were beating them. Yet, he didn't act, he didn't try, he just stood there.

I'm not really sure if he was brainwashed considering in the second arc he spent most of his time with Krillin, who is mentally stable.

My wii u id is Dr.Palutena for anyone who wants to know, (3ds is 1891-1183-3703). i'd give psn and xbl but i either have next to nothing to play on those online or don't use them all too much.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was joking but the more I think about it he really does idolize a man who put him through some awful shit at an extremely (unrealistically so) young age.

This is where you insert the Goku is a bad father joke.

MikeMyers

Piccolo's behavior at the Cell Games strikes me as odd to. He has no problem with Gohan fighting Saiyans, Freeza, and Androids but he complains about Cell? I guess you can say he changed once he merged with Kami, but he has no problems with Goten and Trunks (both younger than Cell Games Gohan) fighting Buu...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Piccolo is in full Danny Glover I'm too old for this shit mode in the Buu Saga.

Cell is dangerous and is going to blow up the planet when the Cell games are over. Buu is a mass murdering unstoppable psychopathic freak of nature who is coming to get them and Gotenks can probably do the job.

The more likely explanation is that he just cares for Gohan more and doesn't give a shit about Trunks and Goten because he doesn't know them. Also Goku is gone by that point so there's that.

MikeMyers

When you think about it: Gohan really did turn into Piccolo. They both get a free power-up, become the strongest, get a lot of hype and gain the advantage of villain, then the villain gets stronger and beats them because they got cocky.

Also, they only really win fights through Goku sacrificed himself.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
what is this the dbz thread

lELzYvW.gif

Absolutely Not.

MikeMyers

Somebody on another forum was trying to explain the link between Power Rangers and Super Sentai and used his videos .

Ah very cool. Yeah, I'm a big MMPR fan too, even going as far as to meet all the MMPR except for Tommy and Billy. I did do a few speeches on Power Rangers in my Film Classes, but it got overshadowed by the guy who tried to convince that Batman & Robin is the best film ever made. Still not sure if that guy was sarcastic or genuine throughout his speech..

Ah very cool. Yeah, I'm a big MMPR fan too, even going as far as to meet all the MMPR except for Tommy and Billy. I did do a few speeches on Power Rangers in my Film Classes, but it got overshadowed by the guy who tried to convince that Batman & Robin is the best film ever made. Still not sure if that guy was sarcastic or genuine throughout his speech..
:eek: That's very cool!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Im watching part 2 of the dragonball thing you posted and it made me remember that yamcha use to be a real threat and even stronger than goku if it wasent for his fear of women.

MikeMyers

Well, they both fought evenly until Goku got hungry, thus giving Yamcha the advantage until Bulma scared him off. They battle again later on, and once Goku knocks out Yamcha's tooth, causing Yamcha to become embarrassed and thus he ran off. Finally he battle's Goku a third time when Goku turns into a massive Ape and starts attacking everyone. In the manga, Yamcha is able to single-handedly subdue Oozaru Goku by grabbing his tail. In the anime, it barely has any effect at all, and it's only the combined efforts of Yamucha, Oolong, and Puah that cause Goku to become paralyzed (although apparently Puar letting go to become the giant pair of scissors has no effect).

Fun Fact: Yamcha and Piccolo both battle Goku three times in the comic, and two times in the movies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well, they both fought evenly until Goku got hungry, thus giving Yamcha the advantage until Bulma scared him off. They battle again later on, and once Goku knocks out Yamcha's tooth, causing Yamcha to become embarrassed and thus he ran off. Finally he battle's Goku a third time when Goku turns into a massive Ape and starts attacking everyone. In the manga, Yamcha is able to single-handedly subdue Oozaru Goku by grabbing his tail. In the anime, it barely has any effect at all, and it's only the combined efforts of Yamucha, Oolong, and Puah that cause Goku to become paralyzed (although apparently Puar letting go to become the giant pair of scissors has no effect).

Fun Fact: Yamcha and Piccolo both battle Goku three times in the comic, and two times in the movies.

man, poor yamcha, the anime is more well known and had it out for him.

MikeMyers

As for SM Uncensored, I do remember that site. However when I first got into the series it was through the live-action, not the anime, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Glad I finally did crack and watch the anime and read the manga. I enjoyed them both immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom