• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

tumblr_ll91xkj1Ex1qetge4.jpg

Now it's a Nineties thread.

BnLgxhyCMAA8u4e.jpg:large

I'm sad. I got detention after school and I can't watch Goku charge up the Spirit Bomb to eventually through it at Freeza. All because the teacher saw me drawing this on my trapper keeper.

S_symbol.png

Moaradin

I'm sad. I got detention after school and I can't watch Goku charge up the Spirit Bomb to eventually through it at Freeza. All because the teacher saw me drawing this on my trapper keeper.

S_symbol.png

Holy shit, now that brings me back. I remember drawing those things all the time and I have no idea why.

MikeMyers

King Cold is the best DBZ character.

All he wanted to do is spend time with his son.

That makes him more of a man than Goku & Vegeta were.

But you know what really makes something a man?

melrose_place_2_500x300.jpg

Being on Melrose Place

Cosby was closer to 80s than 90s, but I watched all 3 of those I mentioned frequently. TGIF was a mainstay in our home during the 90s. My parents loved all of the shows on ABC so by association it was something I was inundated with. The shows still hold up really well too. Many of them are still in syndication and are entertaining as hell.

I know of next to zero good sitcoms that aired during the 2000s.

I don't know man. I really like "Everybody Loves Raymond". Ray himself isn't particularly funny but his brother and parents on the show are side splitting.

This is a clip from an episode where Robert is having a job interview with the FBI and his mother sent an embarassing letter during the interview. Reminds me of some GAF interview threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88nqwii2yM

daveo42

Banned

Hey look, anime is back. Speaking about the 90s, tons of great anime came out in the 90s (in Japan).

I don't know man. I really like "Everybody Loves Raymond". Ray himself isn't particularly funny but his brother and parents on the show are side splitting.

This is a clip from an episode where Robert is having a job interview with the FBI and his mother sent an embarassing letter during the interview. Reminds me of some GAF interview threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88nqwii2yM

Everybody Love Raymond wasn't bad for the time, but it wasn't something you were interested in watching every week. It could be I grew up and stopped watching network television or the shows started to suck, but sitcoms from the 90s were GOAT.

Edit: Not to leave out previous decades from the loop, it feels like the 90s were the last good decade for sitcoms. The advent of the internet has been their death knell.

Hey look, anime is back. Speaking about the 90s, tons of great anime came out in the 90s (in Japan).

Everybody Love Raymond wasn't bad for the time, but it wasn't something you were interested in watching every week. It could be I grew up and stopped watching network television or the shows started to suck, but sitcoms from the 90s were GOAT.

Edit: Not to leave out previous decades from the loop, it feels like the 90s were the last good decade for sitcoms. The advent of the internet has been their death knell.

I think the formula just doesn't work much anymore. Things like Everybody Loves Raymond were smash hits and then everyone tried to recreate the magic. You can look at things like the Cosby Show, Family Matters, Boy meets World, Perfect Strangers, Step by Step, Family Ties, etc. and all of them feel very different in terms of tone and plots.

After ELR, you had a lot of less successful ones pop up with similar premises like According to Jim, 8 simple rules and whatever George Lopez's nonsense was. This still persists today. I think Big Bang Theory is rather popular because A) Geek is chic currently and B) It doesn't follow the family sitcom mold while still being traditional in terms of how it is filmed and the safe joke styles. Every season though, you will have a mess of shows that try to imitate that wacky family with quirks formula and usually they don't last more than a season or two.

As for the internet chiming in, they have resoundedly come out in favor of their sitcoms/comedies being done in the style of Modern Family, Arrested Development, Its always sunny and Community. Shows that shun the traditional suburban family dynamic and deal with a wider range of deeper issues that relate to today's younger audience.

Gorillaz

^always sunny is hilarious

Greatest page of the thread. Im surprised tho for all those uncle Phil faces yall post it should have been the first sitcom posted lol.

Anime wise was Zoids a 90s show? I remember it on Toonami back in like 03 with the one that could switch between armor and shit. I really did use to love that show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
^always sunny is hilarious

Greatest page of the thread. Im surprised tho for all those uncle Phil faces yall post it should have been the first sitcom posted lol.

Anime wise was Zoids a 90s show? I remember it on Toonami back in like 03 with the one that could switch between armor and shit. I really did use to love that show.

*looks through Wiki*
The first Zoids show aired in Japan in September 1999. Came to the US in 2002.

It's barely a 90s show.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I will always have a place in my heart for the fresh prince. Truly the greatest sitcom of all-time if you ask me.

I go back and forth whether the pre-2000's live action crown should go to I Love Lucy, All in the Family, Happy Days, or The Brady Brunch.

Excluding Seinfeld, of course. But Seinfeld is like its own thing, I barely consider it a sitcom.

daveo42

Banned
I think the formula just doesn't work much anymore. Things like Everybody Loves Raymond were smash hits and then everyone tried to recreate the magic. You can look at things like the Cosby Show, Family Matters, Boy meets World, Perfect Strangers, Step by Step, Family Ties, etc. and all of them feel very different in terms of tone and plots.

After ELR, you had a lot of less successful ones pop up with similar premises like According to Jim, 8 simple rules and whatever George Lopez's nonsense was. This still persists today. I think Big Bang Theory is rather popular because A) Geek is chic currently and B) It doesn't follow the family sitcom mold while still being traditional in terms of how it is filmed and the safe joke styles. Every season though, you will have a mess of shows that try to imitate that wacky family with quirks formula and usually they don't last more than a season or two.

As for the internet chiming in, they have resoundedly come out in favor of their sitcoms/comedies being done in the style of Modern Family, Arrested Development, Its always sunny and Community. Shows that shun the traditional suburban family dynamic and deal with a wider range of deeper issues that relate to today's younger audience.

I guess I make the clear distinction between sitcom and comedy even though there really isn't much different between the two. I guess the line for me is the "live studio audience/laugh track" being included and the potential for live unscripted events.

I'm a huge fan of Sunny and AD, but passed that I haven't really watched all that much else that fall into the realm of television comedies. I guess I should throw in a few others comedies that have been good, like Boondocks, Rick and Morty, Archer, and Futurama (prior to the movies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom