• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

There's a pizza place at Ronkonkoma Station (Long Island) that's pretty good. I eat there every time I visit for work.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my computer back. Floods suck mang.

Couple things: First - Looks like I lost my AoT bet :( I gotta fish out my new avatar /sigh.

Second - I cannot WAIT for that DBZ movie. You know why that's my favorite one? The soundtrack. It is like stepping into a time machine every time I see Cooler's Revenge. If we assume we are getting Funi's dub, this is the magic we're looking forward to:

Drowning Pool - Reminded
Dust for Life - Poison
American Pearl - Seven Years
Breaking Point - Under
Finger Eleven - Stay and Drown
Breaking Point - Falling Down
Drowning Pool - Mute
Disturbed - The Game
Drowning Pool - Told You So
Deftones - Change (In the House of Flies)
American Pearl - Revelation
Breaking Point - Phoenix

Drowning pool? Disturbed? It's like an early 2000s free for all of nu-metal insanity all encapsulated in a friggen Dragonball Z movie. You almost get a requisite silk screen shirt just for watching it. I hope all of that stays in (it did when Nick showed it about a year ago) because that is just SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOD. For one night, pretend you're 14 years old again.

Edit: Shame ENGAGE
When I was 14, the Toonami lineup was

4:00 PM - Thundercats
4:30 PM - Cartoon Roulette
4:45 PM - Voltron
5:15 PM - Cartoon Roulette
5:30 PM - The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

I would be totally down for some Voltron and OG Thundercats instead of Cooler's Revenge.

5 guys has always been the most over rated burger place I've eaten at. Ate at ones in CT, FL, ME, MA, and PE and they've always just been okay. Not terrible but not worth the "greatest burger of all time" praise I've seen. There burger taste like something I'd make home made on the grill with cheap walmart meat. Real gourmet burger places stomp the heck out of them in terms of quality.

When I was 14, the Toonami lineup was

4:00 PM - Thundercats
4:30 PM - Cartoon Roulette
4:45 PM - Voltron
5:15 PM - Cartoon Roulette
5:30 PM - The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

I would be totally down for some Voltron and OG Thundercats instead of Cooler's Revenge.

I was more talking about the connotation that nu-metal and DBZ was for nothing but 14 year olds :p

I was 14 in 2000 so that may have been around the right time. I don't recall the exact date DBZ started up.

TheChits

I don't enjoy eating all too much these days, but I ate at Mellow Mushroom the other day and that was some of the best pizza I've ever had.

MikeMyers

I was more talking about the connotation that nu-metal and DBZ was for nothing but 14 year olds :p

I was 14 in 2000 so that may have been around the right time. I don't recall the exact date DBZ started up.

The first time I saw DBZ was in 1999 on CN, it was the episode where Goku had just saved Gohan from Nappa. The series would keep going until Goku beat Recoome, then go right back to Raditz. At that point I assumed the show had been cancelled, it only made sense to me. Goku's arrival on Namek was so similar to his arrival on earth to fight Nappa that the show had obviously been cancelled for running out of original ideas!

But then I later found the Spanish Version on Univision and the Japanese Version on International Channel and found myself watching three different versions of the show, aha.

I remember when they sold Lord Slug and Cooler's Revenge at Burger King. They also had toys for the kids meal as well as these statues they were promoting for their CCG.

That's how you know DBZ was big, they were selling it at the BK Lounge.

4YYGkWP.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember when they sold Lord Slug and Cooler's Revenge at Burger King. They also had toys for the kids meal as well as these statues they were promoting for their CCG.

4YYGkWP.jpg

My mom bought me all of them on eBay that summer. It was such a random thing too. I didn't ask for them, she just knew I liked DBZ. Probably her eBay-holic phase.

The figures in general kinda sucked though, barely any articulation. They looked neat but that was it.

Also I could never figure out that damn card game. The Trunks sword thing? What the hell was that even used for?

4YYGkWP.jpg
Oh shit I remember those! I also remember the Pokemon promotion they did with the first movie. And I remember how they shaped their chicken tenders in the shape of crowns.

DominoKid

4YYGkWP.jpg

i remember making one of the BK people go dig me a Vegeta toy out of the big box they kept them in.

daveo42

Banned

4YYGkWP.jpg

I legit don't remember these at all. I do have a SSJ3 Goku figure lying around in a box somewhere, but these look pretty awesome. Wish I would have grabbed a few when I had the chance.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh shit I remember those! I also remember the Pokemon promotion they did with the first movie. And I remember how they shaped their chicken tenders in the shape of crowns.
I remember my friends were so excited for DBZ toys since they were into the show (I didn't have cable at the time, though I remember getting the Piccolo one). & I remember the Pokemon toys as well, as I had a poster with every single toy that was available. Then the recall happened because the pokeballs were choking hazards. I questioned why they couldn't just give out the toys without the pokeball, to which they did about a year or so later.

Tenumi

Banned

4YYGkWP.jpg

I swear I had a Super Sayian Goku one. It looks so familiar to me that I must have...

MikeMyers

No Tienshan or Yamcha?

SMH

Got shafted when DB became DBZ, like Rock Lee and Neji did when it Naruto became Shippuden.

Then again, considering all of Gohan's designs are copied from Yamcha...

No room for scrubs in the King's court.

/comeatmebro

Yamcha and Tenshinhan are very skilled fighters, not their fault the series became about half-Saiyans born with hax powers.

So what you're saying is it accurately reflected the show it was based upon

Pretty much, if you compare end of DB to end of DBZ:

DB:
Goku/Piccolo
Kami
Tenshinhan
Krillin/Yamcha
Yajirobe
Chichi
Chaozu

DBZ:
Vegetto
Gohan
Gotenks
Goku
Vegeta
Piccolo
Android 18
Krillin
Tenshinhan
Yamcha
Chaozu
Yajirobe

Eclipes show a big difference in strength.

Moaradin

Did Yajirobe even care about that tournament? It's hard to even judge how strong he is when he doesn't give a shit most of the time. He's definitely very strong during the piccolo saga though.

MikeMyers

Yeah, but everyone was really strong in their debut, then they all fell behind. For example, Future Trunks was the strongest non-Goku character when he first showed up but spent the rest of the arc lagging behind the other Saiyans. And i'm pretty sure Yajirobe did give a shit about the tournament if he tried to enter.

EDIT: Also, the official power levels given for the Saiyan Arc have Yamcha higher than Yajirobe. If he's factually stronger in DBZ, then I'm pretty sure he can be in DB.

Levyne

Banned
Guys, I need a safe haven from E3 fueled GAF and Twitter. Drama and speculation is really starting to get irritating. I might just stick it out here.

Levyne

Banned
I didn't know the main character's name of Sailor Moon until all of the hoopla the last few days. Needless to say I don't know much about the show.

LOLDSFAN

Guys, I need a safe haven from E3 fueled GAF and Twitter. Drama and speculation is really starting to get irritating. I might just stick it out here.

We can change that for you here. ;)

Bring Kill la Kill to Toonami! Don't bring Final Act to Toonami! What will happen at MomoCon!?!?!?

SUB IS BETTER THAN DUBBBZZZZ ARG!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom