• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
well shit. no Future Past for me tonight. Didn't get there in time to get a ticket to the showing I wanted. Can't even remember the last time I missed out on a midnight showing for a summer movie I wanted to see

MikeMyers

Play the theme through a Tape player while approaching for maximum effect! Maybe I'll try and actually catch a few panels this year, I always regret not seeing more industry peeps.

I casually just go to my class as him sometimes. People just think I'm in theater, but I'm actually in the Film department, which is close enough.

And to think, the boy with no sensibilities would marry a girl who'se name is a slang for "breast"! Ahhh, how they grow up... and learn... really nothing at all. I still think Goku has no idea how he had children in the first place.

Well..., everything else can be summed up here.

LOLDSFAN

So I caught up on Toonami stuff. Here's my jumbled thoughts:

Bleach - Ichigo isn't an AHNIME character!?!?! Actually in all seriousness it appears Bleach is starting to get good. The buildup has taken a few episodes but I'm excited to see what's to come now.

Blue Exorcist - She wore an itsy bitsy teeny weeny red bikini. Weird that we already have a new OP and ED. I feel like the show just started.

Black Lagoon - I need a moment to think..... Man this little piggie whent to shotgun market. Hearing this without beeps is unsettling. I need an adult. :< ED STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!

Attack on Titan -

l8XpBag.gif

tumblr_n4eyk9a7i11qm9fxho1_500.gif

Sometimes i feel weird for not being interested in seeing movies at all, at best i would go with a friend (but she's away in Canada) and/or I would go just to get popcorn, a hot dog, nachos, a pizza, a drink ...yea. I haven't seen a movie all year so far in theaters , mind you there are some i kinda would want to see, Godzilla, HTTYD 2 , uh ...that's it.

LOLDSFAN

Sometimes i feel weird for not being interested in seeing movies at all, at best i would go with a friend (but she's away in Canada) and/or I would go just to get popcorn, a hot dog, nachos, a pizza, a drink ...yea. I haven't seen a movie all year so far in theaters , mind you there are some i kinda would want to see, Godzilla, HTTYD 2 , uh ...that's it.

Don't worry I haven't seen any all year either.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I casually just go to my class as him sometimes. People just think I'm in theater, but I'm actually in the Film department, which is close enough.

Well..., everything else can be summed up here.

That first bit fits in well with the "name your kids stealth anime names" discussion from earlier. Secretly anime, covertly acceptable by semi-normal people as fringe "normal" coolness.

And that theory... makes too much sense. My friend and I have had enough "by the way" conversations over the years as to how human women survive Saiyan sex. I'm sure Bulma could figure out a way to survive, but Goku would have to be ambushed, sedated, or tricked into it. Ultimately, it's always better not to think about it.

So I caught up on Toonami stuff. Here's my jumbled thoughts:
Attack on Titan -

l8XpBag.gif

tumblr_n4eyk9a7i11qm9fxho1_500.gif

I've enjoyed Bleach these past few weeks, in a "hey, bit characters get to make fun of / out-relevance Ichigo for a while!" kinda way. And previously mentioned "Orihime is being autonomous!" comments.

Titan gifs make your realize titans aren't really too frightening, people can be just as disturbing in their reality. In a few hundred years, they'll all live side by side! ;-)

Did I show this to you SAB CA?

I WANT ONE! This reminds me of the time I saw a group Cosplay as a working Tachikoma with lights that, actually wheeled across the stage. Making suits to either sit in or wear is the best way for aging anime fans to be totally accepted without having to feel like the obvious perv cosplaying with anime age-appropriate girls of every element of the sailor fuku color spectrum, lol. That and the guys who dress up as Muten Roshi. "Oh, he's just REALLY into character!"

Don't worry I haven't seen any all year either.

My friend I used to see movies with just moved 6 hours away from me. So I'm in as bad a predicament as you two, even though I wanted to see "The Wind Rises" in theaters, too. :/

MikeMyers

Well that's to be expected considering your major. :p

Actually that's insane. :eek:

I've been cutting down this year, but I generally just write down every film I watch.

For example, here is my January of 2012 list:

JANUARY:
001. Who's That Knocking at My Door [Martin Scorsese, 1967] (1/2)
002. One From the Heart [Francis Ford Coppola, 1982] (1/3)
003. Apocalypse Now [Francis Ford Coppola, 1979] (1/4)
004. The Cats Meow [Peter Bogdanovich, 2001] (1/5)
005. Kagemusha [Akira Kurosawa, 1980] (1/6)
006. The Fly [David Cronenberg, 1986] (1/9)
007. Streets of Fire [Walter Hill, 1984] (1/10)
008. Deep Blue Sea [Renny Harlin, 1999] (1/11)
009. Misery [Rob Reiner, 1990] (1/11)
010. The Fighter [David O. Russell, 2010] (1/12)
011. The Killing [Stanley Kubrick, 1956] (1/14)
012. Taxi Driver [Martin Scorsese, 1976] (1/15)
013. Flirting with Disaster [David O. Russell, 1996] (1/16)
014. The Serpent and the Rainbow [Wes Craven, 1988] (1/18)
015. Tucker: The Man and His Dream [Francis Ford Coppola, 1988] (1/18)
016. They Live [John Carpenter, 1988] (1/20)
017. In the Mouth of Madness [John Carpenter, 1995] (1/20)
018. Swamp Thing [Wes Craven, 1982] (1/21)
019. The Good Son [Joseph Ruben, 1993] (1/22)
020. The Panic in Needle Park [Jerry Schatzberg, 1971] (1/23)
021. About Schmidt [Alexander Payne, 2002] (1/24)
022. The Game [David Fincher, 1997] (1/25)
023. It Happened One Night [Frank Capra, 1934] (1/26)
024. Carlito's Way [Brian De Palma, 1993] (1/27)
025. Hook [Steven Spielberg, 1991] (1/28)
026. Sailor Moon R: The Promise of a Rose [Kunihiko Ikuhara, 1993] (1/29)
027. The Hunt For Red October [John McTiernan, 1990] (1/30)
028. Hammett [Wim Wenders, 1982] (1/31)

MikeMyers

That first bit fits in well with the "name your kids stealth anime names" discussion from earlier. Secretly anime, covertly acceptable by semi-normal people as fringe "normal" coolness.

If I have a kid, I kinda do want to sneak Mamoru in the name. Perhaps a middle name?

And that theory... makes too much sense. My friend and I have had enough "by the way" conversations over the years as to how human women survive Saiyan sex. I'm sure Bulma could figure out a way to survive, but Goku would have to be ambushed, sedated, or tricked into it. Ultimately, it's always better not to think about it.

Eh, anime characters dont have sex in my opinion. They simply ask the Stock, obviously.

I've enjoyed Bleach these past few weeks, in a "hey, bit characters get to make fun of / out-relevance Ichigo for a while!" kinda way. And previously mentioned "Orihime is being autonomous!" comments.

I like the Fullbring Arc too, in fact I think Bleach is at its best when it focuses just on Ichigos main crew and is set in Ichigos hometown.

I WANT ONE! This reminds me of the time I saw a group Cosplay as a working Tachikoma with lights that, actually wheeled across the stage. Making suits to either sit in or wear is the best way for aging anime fans to be totally accepted without having to feel like the obvious perv cosplaying with anime age-appropriate girls of every element of the sailor fuku color spectrum, lol. That and the guys who dress up as Muten Roshi. "Oh, he's just REALLY into character!"

Now that Hirotaka Suzuoki (VA of Bright Noa) isn't around, there is no one to monitor Furuya. You know how in the Boondocks the pimp says "A Pimp Named Slickback, you have to say the whole thing?" I knew a guy who always said "Hirotaka Suzuoki, MANLY AS FUCK" whenever he came up in discussion. I love him as Kuno in Ranma 1/2.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been watching a lot of old WCW, the network is addicting. After I conquer Samurai 7 and GXP I'll watch Kill la Kill and Digimon Season 3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pay the money for unblock US or take the time to work with a free proxy service, it's worth it.

Netflix doesn't even care if you do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you can speak English and like newer released movies at all it's a no brainer. I mean just a quick glance at the Netflix thread and you can find hundreds of new and newish movies on Netflix in countries where streaming competition isn't as big so Netflix can easily secure first/second run rights. It's a crazy bargain.

Gorillaz

Netflix added SAO. Never seen it...heard..interesting things about it.

Worth the investment? I know it was on Toonami at one point but I"m interested kinda

Crocodile

Worth the investment? I know it was on Toonami at one point but I"m interested kinda

How much do you hate yourself?

It makes a good hatewatch with friends but the show is shit in most respects. Avoid if you aren't in a group or sober

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Depends on how you look at it. If you don't over-think it, and just accept it as an anime of the times, it's pretty decent. Occasional cool fights, nice animation at times, and some decent armor designs.

If you're going to analyze, rationalize, and break apart each piece, you'll find things to potentially hate. It has some off plot points, a hero that wins because he's the main hero quite often, and a bunch of stuff that'll make you just shake your head if you're fed up with particular anime tropes.

All in all, it's not a HUGE commitment of a series so far, and for something with it's notoriety, I'm kinda happy I'm in the know of it, rather than missing out on all the injokes and references.

And you'll be humming every-time you have coffee or Soda, Toffee, or Pasta. (I swear the Lego LOTR commercial uses this track too, ha.)

Log Horizon is vastly superior in every way, though! ;-)

Gorillaz

So is it a bad in a "drink up and talk shit about it" or a bad-bad where Drunk Gorillaz can't even make the best out of this situation

The worst thing about SAO is just that it *isn't* god awful terrible *all* the time , and instead just mediocre, generic , wish fulfillment, by the numbers-ness most of the time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"&#12415;&#12435;&#12394;&#12289;&#35211;&#12390;&#12356;&#12390;&#12367;&#12428;!" - "Minna, miteite kure!" *hums theme*

Man God

Non-Canon Member
and so my continued game of pretending to not know shit about Fire Emblem while posting with an FE avatar worked flawlessly once again.

Jintor

Depends on how you look at it. If you don't over-think it, and just accept it as an anime of the times, it's pretty decent. Occasional cool fights, nice animation at times, and some decent armor designs.

If you're going to analyze, rationalize, and break apart each piece, you'll find things to potentially hate. It has some off plot points, a hero that wins because he's the main hero quite often, and a bunch of stuff that'll make you just shake your head if you're fed up with particular anime tropes.

You know, I don't think I was 'over thinking' it when it comes to how I initially reacted to SAO.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wanna know the sign of a really good name? If they have the word "The" in front of it.

Jintor - Shhh, it's a general overview! But yeah, if one can identify certain elements and patterns from a mile away, it can be an instant turnoff.

But I think a lot of that can be strongly diminished, if one just takes it for what it is. I know I've looked at a lot of talkbacks where I've been very happy to not taint an entire series by generalizing too much of it.

LTTP to the party on this one but...

I could see someone naming their kid Rock and having it be serious and not anime related

I'd totally name my kid Rock, in the hopes that he would have balls the size of Jupiter.

Naming a kid Rock is so cool, I'd legitimately have no problem with the family legally changing their last name to "Howard" afterwards. I'll stahn mai hause, with yur bra'd.

Heeheehee

The worst thing about SAO is just that it *isn't* god awful terrible *all* the time , and instead just mediocre, generic , wish fulfillment, by the numbers-ness most of the time.

You would think it was the worst thing in the history of the universe the way some people reacted. SAO has numerous flaws but I was able to find some enjoyment in every single episode except for the creepy tenticle rape one. I think the show is hilarious, although unintentionally.

Remember that crappy guild getting curb stomped by trolls? Or FASTER, I GOTTA GO FASTER!? What about 'LOL I forgot why I killed all these people'?

Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom