• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
SAO had a decent concept (people trapped in an online game where in-game death means real death) completely shattered by hack-tackular execution.
It's pretty clear that Reki Kawahara never played an MMORPG before writing SAO and thus the numerous flaws in the game itself were apparent to not only MMO fans, but people with a casual understanding of them.
Of course, it doesn't help when a chunk of the series is dedicated to romance and an AI child rather than GETTING THE FUCK OUT OF THE GAME
And really, two years? It took two years and the most they got to was Floor 75 of 100, and even then they only got out because the main character found out the guy that trapped them in the game was in the group?

That's not even getting into the pandering... as people have said, Kirito is a male-power fantasy for Otakus, and every girl wants to jump his digital bones, and each girl he comes across is an anime stereotype. The shy one, the loli, the friend of the main love interest that has no chance, and then Asuna... "Hey everyone, check out this badass chick! ... Shit I don't know how to write anymore scenes of her being awesome. She's a submissive tsundere now!"

Of course, everyone that isn't Kirito is an idiot. The guild he joined that fell for the most obvious trap ever, the hatred for beta testers that makes absolutely no sense (YOU ARE LITERALLY FIGHTING FOR YOUR LIVES! PUT YOUR TRUST IN THE PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE YOU MORONS!)

And this is all just Part 1... Part 2 has an entirely different set of issues to deal with.

Shit, I typed way more than I intended.

Jintor

We're not even arguing with people who liked SAO anymore, we're just punching ourselves in the face over and over again

orz

the hatred for beta testers that makes absolutely no sense (YOU ARE LITERALLY FIGHTING FOR YOUR LIVES! PUT YOUR TRUST IN THE PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE YOU MORONS!)

The ironic thing here is that if the beta testers were so much better at the game and had all this advanced knowledge AND the games EXP pools were limited wouldn't it make more sense to let those players get the wealth of the EXP and let them go beat the game while everyone else stayed in the games starting safe zone? More people would have survived then

Less than half of it.

Reactions, sure, at times.
I just think it's weird you complain SAO is boring when Shippuden has been far less entertaining from what has aired so far, it's borderline unwatchable.

Part of the fun with SAO are the hate watch reactions but like I said earlier, the show is hilarious, although unintentionally. It's pure entertainment with no substance. Kind of like pop music you'll hear on the radio.

Seda

This is silly

but

I said SAO was boring at the times it wasn't throwing stupid plot motivations or villain reveals or nonsense pandering or juvenile romances with stupid characters or cliche harem-ish tropes. None of that was entertaining. What was entertaining were the reactions, at times. Hell the show was making me embarrassingly angry at times I disliked it so much.

Shippuden is a slog with terrible animation and a huuuuge reliance of flashbacks and dragged out exposition, which is a perfect recipe for boring. I'm really only positive towards a shorter mini arc which I've probably brought up too often.

I'd rather talk about shows I do enjoy.

Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for stupidity, I can't recall ever getting angry at an anime. Annoyed, sure, but I generally find something positive in every show I watch.

Seda

*insert uncle phil/waifu talk here*

;)

C3MdU7W.gif

daveo42

Banned
SAO was the show you'd watch with friends to make fun of and cringe at during some of the more interesting scenes. I had a blast watching it with the rest of ToonamiGAF, but I think I would have dropped it if I was watching it by myself.

Raxus

He's licking her! And now he's going to lick me! OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!

The only way the thread could be better is if we had a gif of Gaimeguy flipping the ENTIRE thread over.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You Listen to your voice
Listen to my heart
Now I see it clearly
You listen to your voice,
Lsten to your heart
Do you even smile?
There is nothing you can't do
Only you can do to make yourself happy
You listen to your voice,
Listen to your heart make yourself live
We are free like water flows
We are one
As we feel the love
How long will it take
To find our way out?
But she never lost her way
And made herself to home
So we hold each other's hand
As we walk along the way
No more fears and tears to fall
We find our way to home
We are free like water flows
We are one
As we feel the love
How long will it take
To find our way out?
And made herself to home
As we walk along the way
We find our way to home
How long will it take
To find our way out?
And made herself to home
As we walk along the way
We find our way to home
You listen to my voice,
Listen to my heart
Now I see it clearly
You listen to your voice
Listen to your heart do you even smile?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm convinced that 90 percent of Casshern Sins animation budget is spent on eyes.

EDIT: Yes, the opening of the show is incredible. Always puts me in the mood to feel sad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's on Hulu. I think the first half is largely better but it's still worth a watch.

In some ways it's a lot less depressing as it actually moves into the plot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The finale is the exception to that. Very uplifting and very depressing at the same time.

The first half though...is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom