• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hell, Naruto Uzumaki are both words that involves spirals (the latter I learned thanks to Junji Ito's horror manga of the same name).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Speaking of Junji Ito, did anyone see the anime version of Gyo? I heard it was different compared to the manga version.

Soul isnt that bad a name at all, it's not like there aren't a a thousand Aryas, Danearys, Bellas, Targaryens, Starks, Hermiones,Bellatrixes, etc. People like naming their kids after the media they watch and it's certainly not as bad as going with Luffy, Naruto or Goku/Vegeta. People like to talk about made up names, or wrong spellings but they fail to realize *all* names were made up, some used to be wrong spellings decades/centuries ago and are now consider normal, some came from media, books ,folklore, different cultures (and translated with different spellings) , etc of the time (heck most people name their kids from biblical figures) it's not something new or uncommon or weird. Also it bothers me when people judge parents for weird arbitrary reasons while a lot of child abuse, bad parenting, etc are ignored or remain socially acceptable, but that's just me.

No kidding. A child's name should be the last thing we judge the quality of a parent on.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Might as well see what's going on in here before getting taken away for most of the weekend by anime con! (O.O) ....(o_O)?

So what do you guys think of the new plot developments in Hyrule Warriors?

TecmoKoei makes a much better plot than some of those other Plot heavy makers out there. I'm always excited for Musou games. They're a Character and Combo-crazy game first, which fits right up my alley of favorite gaming things.

Local Co-Op will be so good on that, and it'll probably be the most time I've spent on a specific Zelda game in YEARS. (Normally watch the brother play Zelda games, rather than play myself.)

Jason Lee named his son Pilot Inspektor.

Also, I've met people called Soul before. I've also met a guy called Tien and a girl called Espeon once.

That would probably odd me out. "Hey, Charizard!" I like how my mom once commented that "Inuyasha" sounded like a pretty name... The closest I'd probably ever get to naming a child after an anime character is "Nadia"...

Any kids named Robert E. O. Speedwagon should never be bullied. Ever.

He should, however, give a play-by-play of the details of any bullying that is going on around him. The perfect tag-a-long for going through the bad parts of town!

daveo42

Banned
I'm actually watching Nadia right now and I'll say that I'm not a huge fan of her. Poor Jean, he totally deserves better. Anime has been pretty good so far.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Robin, Franky, and
Brook
can be used as names.

Best kind of names to be a stealth anime Megafan yet not doom your kid to odd stares and teasing in their early years, ha.

I'm actually watching Nadia right now and I'll say that I'm not a huge fan of her. Poor Jean, he totally deserves better. Anime has been pretty good so far.

Haha, I guess she does give him a lot of grief. Of course, that gives reason for someone like Elektra to exist. I wasn't anyway near as tired of watching nice guys get beat up by temperamental girls back last I watched it, as I am now, so I wonder if I'd feel different about it on a rewatch...

Have you reached the infamous "Island" episodes, yet?

daveo42

Banned
Best kind of names to be a stealth anime Megafan yet not doom your kid to odd stares and teasing in their early years, ha.

Haha, I guess she does give him a lot of grief. Of course, that gives reason for someone like Elektra to exist. I wasn't anyway near as tired of watching nice guys get beat up by temperamental girls back last I watched it, as I am now, so I wonder if I'd feel different about it on a rewatch...

Have you reached the infamous "Island" episodes, yet?

That is what pissed me off about her even more. Her stubbornness with food and technology, the massive heel turn, and the subsequent 180 made after a day. I get she's supposed to be a tsundere, but damn, Nadia is probably the most stubborn girl I've ever seen. There were definitely some odd ball episodes there too, but I think I'm about back to more story focused episodes.

Jean would have been better off Elektra or Granadis instead. Even Marie and the narrator at this point have had enough of this Nadia.

Seda

Rokuro

edit: Actually it's kind of interesting how Dutch gave him that nickname, and he chooses that as his name now over Rokuro. Hence the 'MY NAME IS ROCK'. Part of the leaving his old life behind thing I guess.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That is what pissed me off about her even more. Her stubbornness with food and technology, the massive heel turn, and the subsequent 180 made after a day. I get she's supposed to be a tsundere, but damn, Nadia is probably the most stubborn girl I've ever seen. There were definitely some odd ball episodes there too, but I think I'm about back to more story focused episodes.

Jean would have been better off Elektra or Granadis instead. Even Marie and the narrator at this point have had enough of this Nadia.

At least she'd not being treated like her actions are normal and acceptable! Somehow I've never through of Nadia filling in the "Angry / Belligerent black girl" archetype, but I guess that's actually possible. We have so many more NOW than we did back in the day, but back when it was released, I think all I'd notice that didn't fit the "mysterious brown girl with light hair" archetype are her and Claudia from Macross...

I could see someone naming their kid Rock and having it be serious and not anime related

-nodnod-

Naming a kid Rock is so cool, I'd legitimately have no problem with the family legally changing their last name to "Howard" afterwards. I'll stahn mai hause, with yur bra'd.

Gorillaz

Rock is also a nickname transliterated for whatever his Japanese name is. (I already forgot it)

Rokuro

edit: Actually it's kind of interesting how Dutch gave him that nickname, and he chooses that as his name now over Rokuro. Hence the 'MY NAME IS ROCK'. Part of the leaving his old life behind thing I guess.

I literally forgot his name is basically a smaller and more literal version of Rokuro. They barely say his full name

daveo42

Banned
At least she'd not being treated like her actions are normal and acceptable! Somehow I've never through of Nadia filling in the "Angry / Belligerent black girl" archetype, but I guess that's actually possible. We have so many more NOW than we did back in the day, but back when it was released, I think all I'd notice that didn't fit the "mysterious brown girl with light hair" archetype are her and Claudia from Macross...

-nodnod-

Naming a kid Rock is so cool, I'd legitimately have no problem with the family legally changing their last name to "Howard" afterwards. I'll stahn mai hause, with yur bra'd.

It's good that those actions aren't considered normal and it seems like maybe she'll come around. I guess I wish Jean wasn't such a doormat. He's shown some backbone, but Nadia's gotten a lot of passes from him outside of a few moments.

Rock is a fantastic name and I'd consider it for one of my children. One has to be called Guy though, and no, it's not related to Naruto in any way. Just a cool name.

It always confused me why 4kids, for all the other cultural edits they did to their anime releases, didn't use "Zorlo Roronoa" and "Luffy D. Monkey".

i always figured One Piece kinda plays pretty loose with there being any actual "order" for the names. i mean, are some of these people technically named Robin Nico and (character name spoilers that won't really affect your knowledge of anything)
Hancock Boa
and
Law Trafalgar
?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In the theater for DOFP.
szsLQr6.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
i always figured One Piece kinda plays pretty loose with there being any actual "order" for the names. i mean, are some of these people technically named Robin Nico and (character name spoilers that won't really affect your knowledge of anything)
Hancock Boa
and
Law Trafalgar
?

I've seen a couple uses of "Robin Nico" out there. I think it was on Japanese merch. One time I saw "Lobin"
Ruffy is also a surprisingly common spelling on merch, even though Oda has made it clear time & time again that it's Luffy.

I'm pretty sure all the Khaleesis and Renesmees in the world outnumber any anime names.

Oh man, how could i have forgotten about those two in my examples. (The only problem I have with Khaleesi is that it's like if someone decided to name a child Lord, or Darth or Captain, sure why not, but like that's not the actual name of the person you're referencing)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Let me know if you see Amuro Ray.

Next time he comes to CA I'll go meet him in my Tuxedo Kamen outfit.

Play the theme through a Tape player while approaching for maximum effect! Maybe I'll try and actually catch a few panels this year, I always regret not seeing more industry peeps.

tumblr_n4ahxcyd9r1res38co1_500.jpg

Oh damn lol

*InTheEndBoobsAreJustFakeAsses.jpg*

And to think, the boy with no sensibilities would marry a girl who'se name is a slang for "breast"! Ahhh, how they grow up... and learn... really nothing at all. I still think Goku has no idea how he had children in the first place.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hancock Boa
and
Law Trafalgar
?

One Piece names are in Japanese order, yes.

That's why, to use one of your examples,
Boa Hancock has sisters named Boa Marigold and Boa Sandersonia
. Or for a more recent manga example,
why Donquixote Doflamingo's group is the "Donquixote Family"
. Or why
Robin's mom is named Nico Olvia. Nico is the family name

789shadow

Banned

The names don't really work in English order.

oh, right, i forgot they even had names. though it still sounds weird as hell to think like Whitebeard's first name is technically Newgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom