• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May14| Toonami just got a lot Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just don't like GT's dub at all. The emoting is better, sure, and they definitely have better audio equipment and a higher budget but in the end its soured by being GT. At least the actress doing Young Goku had plenty of practice from doing DB right before it!

grandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtour

Thank you for this, I've been name dropping grand tour like crazy trying to get someone to start this.

grandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtourgrandtour

Needs more stepintothe

So now that they have DBZ and 95% of all request won't be DBZDBZDBZDBZDBZ
only 75% Kappa
maybe we'll see a bit more variety in the top requested shows to get an idea of what people want to see on toonami in the next year or so

Crocodile

DBZ Kai coming Toonami. I for one am SHOCKED and never expected this to happen #Kappa

CB back is always decent since the show is easy to rewatch but why bother if they don't have the HD version ready yet? Surprised to hear that there are people who post in this thread for haven't seen the series in full yet.

Wow this played out so awkwardly LOL

A Cammy wearing pants? Boo-urns I say. Boo-urns :/

Nice stuff otherwise :)

Bored Waiting so here's some shots from between panels.

WOW at those girls O_O

Seeing SAO cosplay always puzzles me. What girl would identify with Asuna and the shit the show puts her through?

Eeeh. I guess Kai will be a good way to finally see what Dragonball Z is all about in a more abridged format.

You've never seen DBZ? O_O

I guess we shall find out in due time, I still question the amount of pull because seriously how many more ways do we need to watch this show?

The 2135351353th rerun of Family Guy still pulls in ratings. DBZ wasn't a fad, its was a phenomenon and holds a lot of nostalgic value for tons of people. You need to stop letting your dislike of the show get in the way of probability man :/

Needs more stepintothe

So now that they have DBZ and 95% of all request won't be DBZDBZDBZDBZDBZ
only 75% Kappa
maybe we'll see a bit more variety in the top requested shows to get an idea of what people want to see on toonami in the next year or so

All we need now is a Gundam series

Gaming is kinda a shit show right now with accusations of console fanboyism over a lack of excitement for a three minute teaser. At least I have you ToonamiGAF.

Anyways, I didn't have Nicktoons at the time, but can anyone tell me why Kai seems so polarizing to the DBZ fanbase as a whole? Was the dub bad? did it make egregious cuts? Nostalgia goggles?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gaming is kinda a shit show right now with accusations of console fanboyism over a lack of excitement for a three minute teaser. At least I have you ToonamiGAF.

Anyways, I didn't have Nicktoons at the time, but can anyone tell me why Kai seems so polarizing to the DBZ fanbase as a whole? Was the dub bad? did it make egregious cuts? Nostalgia goggles?

Nostalgia goggles and some technical issues with how it was remastered. The dub is a thousand times better though some people don't like Luffy portraying Gohan.

Nostalgia goggles for the most part

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I never had satellite or cable until 2006-ish, way after DBZ finished airing. I recall a friend that was really into it, but probably only briefly saw one episode or two. I was more of the comedy cartoon/anime fan growing up, so that probably didn't help the fact I really didn't pay attention to the series.

Crocodile

I never had satellite or cable until 2006-ish, way after DBZ finished airing. I recall a friend that was really into it, but probably only briefly saw one episode or two. I was more of the comedy cartoon/anime fan growing up, so that probably didn't help the fact I really didn't pay attention to the series.

I see. Make sense. I kind of just assumed everybody who would be a thread regular would have seen it already.

Haha. Those were some models for some FTP game sponsoring the event.

Ok I guess that makes sense if they were professional models :)

All we need now is a Gundam series

1389615607885.gif

the music is different, the animation touch ups are inconsistent, and there were some recasts. and some of the filler stuff was legitimately pretty decent here and there.

my only real sticking point is the music since i grew up with the original. and even then it's only SOME of the music.

Nostalgia goggles and some technical issues with how it was remastered. The dub is a thousand times better though some people don't like Luffy portraying Gohan.

Indeed, Freeza was the most in need of a recast and Kai delivered. The original season three dub was straight out of 4Kids playbook.

Levyne

Banned
But yeah, questions about why no subs, why not weekdays, why not "fuck" and nudity, why is the AoT opening and ending cut. Sigh. Some people.

What kind of tech issues? Are we talking like on End of Evengelion's washed out colors level or more minor than that?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's interesting that Naruto Shippuden was the missing title in the last "Top 5 most wanted" for Toonami.

And random scheduling speculation: if Dragonball Z Kai was also on a 4 year contract, it'll be up on May 24th, 2014. But nothing (we know of) is really ending around that time.

Nailed it

Moaradin

Also no one wants sub Goku...

There are plenty of people who love OG Goku...I'm not one of them.

I never got the appeal for sub goku. She's just too old for the role now. I feel bad for her every time I hear her in more recent recordings for Kai. She sounds like she is dying trying to do some of those yells.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Also no one wants sub Goku...

There are plenty of people who love OG Goku...I'm not one of them.

Personally I feel Ms Nozawa is better suited for Young Goku/Gohan/Goten, but not older Goku/Gohan/Bardock.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have no problem with her young Goku/Gohan voice at all, it works, it's iconic. That voice however does not fit the body of older Goku at all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DBZ Kai coming Toonami. I for one am SHOCKED and never expected this to happen #Kappa

CB back is always decent since the show is easy to rewatch but why bother if they don't have the HD version ready yet? Surprised to hear that there are people who post in this thread for haven't seen the series in full yet.

Wow this played out so awkwardly LOL

A Cammy wearing pants? Boo-urns I say. Boo-urns :/

Nice stuff otherwise :)

WOW at those girls O_O

Seeing SAO cosplay always puzzles me. What girl would identify with Asuna and the shit the show puts her through?

The 2135351353th rerun of Family Guy still pulls in ratings. DBZ wasn't a fad, its was a phenomenon and holds a lot of nostalgic value for tons of people. You need to stop letting your dislike of the show get in the way of probability man :/

You do know why I dislike DBZ right? Mainly because it has been run into the ground deeper then a fracking project. I expect it to pop a rating, I am not dense, I just question how big of a rating that is actually going to be.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is a new version of DBZ that a ton of people have never seen. It's not the same show, it's not even the same content (and that's not even a joke, it's reedited to the point of being quite a bit different at places) and to top it all off both of the other US airings of the show were edited for young children. This will be the first unedited broadcast in the US. They will almost certainly air the third part exclusively in the US on TOONAMI.

Tamanon

Banned
Finally caught up on last week's Attack on Titan. Decent humor, but not a huge fan of the artstyle of the anime yet. Hopefully the action/plot picks up soon.

You do know why I dislike DBZ right? Mainly because it has been run into the ground deeper then a fracking project. I expect it to pop a rating, I am not dense, I just question how big of a rating that is actually going to be.
You said people didn't want DBZ back. You said the property casted a shadow over the block. You said it wasn't going to get announced.

You were wrong.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So what exactly is getting people banned in the Digital Foundry thread? Overall sarcasm towards the results?

Well let's be fair, that's the only reaction to be had. Maybe 1 in a 100000 people will be able to notice it and they wouldn't have seen it without it being pointed out.

I assume if you dig deeper into the thread there's gonna be some insults throw around.

Finally caught up on last week's Attack on Titan. Decent humor, but not a huge fan of the artstyle of the anime yet. Hopefully the action/plot picks up soon.
I actually really like the bold lines, they pop and make the show seem more like a manga. It's a pretty distinct style in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom