• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Mad Max Fury Road was pretty fucking awesome. Worth it for the practical effects action scenes alone

Crocodile

*Hasn't been to a movie in a while*

*Hears rave reviews of Mad Max*

*Checks out movie times online*

*Finds out the only theater in walking distance from me has closed down*

Jack-Nicholson.gif

aVAIu.gif

tumblr_mevhfiXuTE1qd9ly0.gif

God I need to finish my thesis and move out of here :/

Moaradin

No way does Funi not get their hands on it. They just got a hold of the new movie and it's coming out pretty soon. Would be SHOCKED if Funi doesn't get the new series after all these years.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No way does Funi not get their hands on it. They just got a hold of the new movie and it's coming out pretty soon. Would be SHOCKED if Funi doesn't get the new series after all these years.

I think this is more an indicator of how early Dragon Ball Super is more then anything else.

Crocodile

Announcing a show to air in two months with no promotional material to show for it is a big red flag. I would have felt way more comfortable if they had announced the show was coming in the fall or next year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Announcing a show to air in two months with no promotional material to show for it is a big red flag. I would have felt way more comfortable if they had announced the show was coming in the fall or next year.

After Sailor Moon Crystal and Digimon Adventure Tri I believe this anime will get a substantial delay.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funimation and Toei have a pretty trusting relationship. Without that we would have never seen One Piece after 4kids ruined it. This is not to say someone couldn't outbid them, but they are the presumptive favorite.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Went to used game/hobby store a few towns over while coming home from grandma's.
Noticed manga was buy 1 get one free.
They have Black Lagoon....but volumes 3 through 9, NOT ONE OR TWO.
"Ahh, screw it, I'll get 3 through 6, then buy 1 & 2 on Amazon or whatever"
Expecting to pay $26ish for all four.
"Okay, your total is $14.##"
"WOAH, I thought the prices were retail like on the back!"
"Nope, $7 for those"
Grabbed 7, 8, & 9, then got Gurren Lagann Vol. 1 since it was the only one there & freebie.

All 8 books: $30. Now to find Vol. 1 & 2 of Black Lagoon the manga so I can touch 3 through 9.

BatDan

I finally looked up the voice actor of money guy from last week's Kill la Kill.
Benjamin Diskin.
On other shows he's Sai on Naruto, and Death Gun (the deep voice) on SAO II.
He's also Young Xehanort in the Kingdom Hearts series and he was Nigel Uno on Codename KND.

Comparing his performances as Sai and the money guy show what actually good directing can do. Aniplex and Funimation have a much looser style while Viz seems to prefer literal translations.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I guess to those who have read & watched Black Lagoon, how different are the anime & manga/when does the anime stop?

I know Gurren Lagann's manga came out after the anime, so it's pretty much the same for the most part.

BatDan

So I guess to those who have read & watched Black Lagoon, how different are the anime & manga/when does the anime stop?

I know Gurren Lagann's manga came out after the anime, so it's pretty much the same for the most part.

The manga and anime change stories around.
In the manga, the order goes:
Intro Chapters
Roberta
Nazis
Rock and Revy's day out
Hansel and Gretal
Jungle Hostage Thing
Japan
Greenback Jane

The anime stops midway through Volume 6. That's when the longest story arc, "El Baile de la muerte", begins and keeps going all the way through Volume 9. That's covered in the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, seems Vol. 1 & 2 are a decent price on Amazon. $6 for Vol. 1 & about $9 for Vol. 2, then $10-ish for Vol. 10, which seems to be the final volume (plus wow, it came out just last month....FIVE YEARS after volume 9). So at least I'm close to having them all.

Onto the wish list they go for the time being. Maybe someday, I'll get them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Somebody would have to outbid Funi by a SHITTON to get Super instead of them.

That is the rub isn't it though, this is the property where I could see that happening since it is a new Dragon Ball series, destined to be a hot commodity from the word go.

Grexeno

That is the rub isn't it though, this is the property where I could see that happening since it is a new Dragon Ball series, destined to be a hot commodity from the word go.
But who could possibly outbid Funi by that amount? Netflix is really the only possibility if they wanted to do a sub-only exclusive streaming rights thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They made a fortune with FUNimation though, a company whose mission statement from day one was to make money with the dragonball property in the US. Someone would really have to win them over.

Moaradin

Having an entirely new voice cast at this point would be so weird. Some of those guys voiced those characters for over a decade.

Apparently that Naruto spin off has a different cast. Anyone check it out?

BatDan

Having an entirely new voice cast at this point would be so weird. Some of those guys voiced those characters for over a decade.

Looking into it, only Naruto himself got a different voice. The rest were the same voices.

Yeah, everyone but Rock Lee is different. Honestly hearing someone not Maile Flanagan as Naruto is as jarring as things can get. My brain had trouble understanding what was going on.

Or maybe I remember that wrong. My mind must have made me forget in order to protect me from the trauma of a different Naruto voice actress.

BatDan

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WHO WOULD SPEND $200 TO HEAR MORE OF MARIE'S STUPID POEMS?!!??

THAT'S ALSO $16.66 PER DAMN EPISODE

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Within the anime community Viz is the only contender I can think of since they seem to have the bankroll and they also have a working relationship with TOEI via Sailor Moon. Outside of the anime community I would see a multinational media conglomerate try to pick the series.

BatDan

Speaking of Funi, they managed to secure the rights to Mamoru Hosoda's "The Boy and the Beast"
Now all they need is One Piece Movie 6 and Toonami can have the Month of Hosoda.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so I was looking for more GAF reactions to Sword Art Online, and I pulled up the OT and apparently there were a bunch of people who liked that show? Couldn't believe what I was reading.

Seda

so I was looking for more GAF reactions to Sword Art Online, and I pulled up the OT and apparently there were a bunch of people who liked that show? Couldn't believe what I was reading.

I'd like to think that people who enjoy SAO acknowledge that it's shallow as heck, but are entertained due to droll amusement rather than actually finding it compelling.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd like to think that people who enjoy SAO acknowledge that it's shallow as heck, but are entertained due to droll amusement rather than actually finding it compelling.

...I hate to say it but methinks you are overesteeming yon average animu fans.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The best thing about SAO was that one fight with the salamander general.

There were maybe one or two more good fights in the whole series, one joke I laughed at, and pretty much everything else was either too average to be entertaining or complete trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom