• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun fact:
The guy who voices Takarada and Death Gun also does the voice for Numbah 1 and Numbah 2 from Kids Next Door.

giphy.gif

Boooooorrrrrrrring.
If Bass were here, he'd have posted the Resident Sleeper by now

Having just watched this episode, actually it wasn't that bad, at least by general Shippuden/Shippuden filler standards. The action was decent enough and the pacing never dragged mercilessly, well maybe the scene with Sora when he realized how much of an idiot he is.

Seda

I think yesterday's SAO, Inuyasha, and Naruto were all slightly better than their baselines.

Which isn't saying much but still.

All that I can recall was Kirito flirting (ugh), Kirito swimming buttass-naked (can't unsee), and Pale Rider getting quickscoped.

Everything else bored me to the point of escaping my memory.

daveo42

Banned
Missed out on the festivities last night and instead passed out early. I'll need to catch up on SAO and make sure I get an eye full of Kirito, at least based on Bishop's description.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At least that Kirito swimming scene didn't get an ass shot similar to Sinon?

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF THEY DID SOMETHING LIKE THAT, WITH THE LEVEL OF DETAIL AND ATTENTION, ALL ZOOMED IN SO YOU CAN SEE THE CURVINESS!?

Raxus

I think yesterday's SAO, Inuyasha, and Naruto were all slightly better than their baselines.

Which isn't saying much but still.

I'd agree with this except for Inuyasha which I must admit is crushingly disappointing. I think this series would do much better in a marathon format.

Sakura almost losing to moths was hilarious too. Then the filler had to ruin everything by making her useful for once.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
At least that Kirito swimming scene didn't get an ass shot similar to Sinon?

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF THEY DID SOMETHING LIKE THAT, WITH THE LEVEL OF DETAIL AND ATTENTION, ALL ZOOMED IN SO YOU CAN SEE THE CURVINESS!?

Don't give DTL ideas

I'm fairly surprised by most people's reaction to Final Act. I really dig it. The best is yet to come though.

I get why people have an issue with it and why people have issue with the original inuyasha anime. I still really enjoy both of them and do recommend them to people if they ask

ckohler

This week’s theme was “cliffhangers”. What secrets will Ryuko learn? Will Sinon’s bullet hit Death Gun? Why did the zombies suddenly disappear? What explosion hit Sniper King? While cliffhangers are pretty common on Toonami, these were especially profound and made more so since we have to wait two weeks before they’re resolved! On to the reviews:

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - The first half of this episode was mostly exposition done via King Kai radio. Yamacha and the gang are back and ready to train with jokes. One thing I don’t get is that if King Kai is basically a god, why doesn’t he ever leave his little planet to help? If I had to rename this show it would be “Overconfidence: The show”. Every character thinks they are the most powerful only to immediately bet shut down at the start of each fight. Not that I’m complaining but it’s a recurring theme for sure. I also liked how Zarbon turned into Killer Croc. It was a good episode. Rating: I AM THE KING KAI!

Kill la Kill - The animation in this episode was all over the place. It starts out in a very Loony Toons style, which is fun, then gets kind of sloppy in the middle before ending on some pretty amazing CG, high action animation during the big battle on the tower. As for the bit with the glove, I’ve given this some thought. In the first episode, Ryuko does transform Senketsu however that wasn’t true Life Fiber Synchronization. It’s just sort of a stronger mode. She isn’t able to actually preform LFS until after she has the glove in episode 3. So maybe that’s why Senketsu thought she needed the glove? Anyway, Nudist Beach’s ridiculous mechs (called Dotonbori Robos) make their first appearance in this episode along with the new three star uniforms. In two weeks, we get a recap episode that also has some big answers. Until then, it’s a marathon of Nonon and Nui battles next week! Rating: Skeet Skeet Skeet!

Sword Art Online II - I swear that 99% of Kirito’s problems stem from his stupid desire to keep secrets. Why hide his mission, ptsd, feelings, gender, and everything else from Sinon? It makes no sense. Maybe Sinon could, you know, actually HELP you find out who Death Gun is? If peoples’ lives are really at risk then why allow Death Gun to even play the game in the first place? Are there any admins in GGO? Ban his ass. That EVA elevator scene and that partially nude Kirito shot were both rather cringe inducing. Lastly, for such an experienced player Sinon seems constantly surprised by how things work. All this aside, the episode was at least watchable. The production values continue to be very high even if I spend most of my time scratching my head and asking “why? Why? WHY?!”. Meh. Rating: Random Catgirl

InuYasha: The Final Act - I’m completely floored that Sango actually made the choice that would have killed Rin. Floored. Like… wow. How can the show possibly redeem her now? I expect it to try but damn, Rin is an innocent child while Moroku is an adult monk who was willing to die. Her selfish decision to murder a child so as to save her boyfriend was pretty inexcusable. As expected, the F team show up and are completely useless. They instantly run like cowards except for Kohaku who should be dead already. As for the rest, it was pretty good although I'm ready fo Kagome’s arrow to finally kill Naraku. His trolling powers are weakened anyway. This episode was decent even if it made me hate Sango. :p I'm looking more to the end of the series and to see how everyone's stories end. Rating: Blah, blah, light, blah blah

Naruto: Shippuden - So, along with VHS it seems force fields are now a thing now in Naruto-world. Sora sure is an idiot. Considering he’s practically pulled from fan fiction, I would expect him to be smarter than this. Is every female character who is sightly older than Naruto considered to be an “old lady” to him or is that just a bad translation? I mean, granted this woman is evil but she’s also kinda hot. Has Naruto ever shown interest in any adult woman? He even considers the smoking hot hokage a “grandma”. WTF?! I actually liked the fake Naruto who was attacking Sakura more. Wait… did Sakura actually win a fight all by herself using only her wits and ninja skills?! Oh right, we’re in filler. I did like that (albeit brief) final zombie battle with everyone using their unique jutsu. The animation wasn’t half bad at times. Overall, it was an okay episode. Rating: Fudō = Kaori *squish*

One Piece - Recap Piece was extremely long this week but it was worth it for that ending. Spandine is actually Spandam’s father!? GASP! Hehe, just kidding. Everyone saw that coming. Those slaps…. Mmmmmmm. Soooo good. Sniper King was godlike in this episode. Just amazing and stoic. Franky too. The payoff of seeing Spandam’s beaten face and those heros saving a crying Robin was just fantastic. An almost boring episode saved by an incredible ending. I’m hyped for more! Rating: SHEEEEEEN!

Puruzi

Banned
Ryuuko always had the glove iirc.
Sensei just added the the thing to make it easier to transform. She very clearly did have a glove on in the first episode so I don't think it's a plothole at all.

ckohler

Ryuuko always had the glove iirc.
Sensei just added the the thing to make it easier to transform. She very clearly did have a glove on in the first episode so I don't think it's a plothole at all.

She didn't get the Seki Tekko until episode two.

When transformed into a battle mode (whether sycronized or not), Senketsu has black gloves that are made from his fibers (not red). The Seki Tekko is a red glove that Ryuko wears when not transformed. I assume when she uses it to transform, the Seki Tekko is temporarily absorbed and converted by Senketsu (along with the rest of her clothes) during the transformation sequence when all the fibers on her body explode out and then contract back onto her.

However, that's probably giving it more thought than even the creators have. My point is that I don't think the Seki Tekko is actually a part of Senketsu but when used with him, it makes Life Fiber Synchronization easier.

Also, we learn later that Ryuko has a unique physiology anyway, allowing her to have high life-fiber resistance. In which case, Senketsu was right that an ordinary human could not performa LFS without the Seki Tekko but Ryuko can although neither of them know it yet.

Puruzi

Banned
She didn't get the Seki Tekko until episode two.

When transformed into a battle mode (whether sycronized or not), Senketsu has black gloves that are made from his fibers (not red). The Seki Tekko is a red glove that Ryuko wears when not transformed. I assume when she uses it to transform, the Seki Tekko is temporarily absorbed and converted by Senketsu (along with the rest of her clothes) during the transformation sequence when all the fibers on her body explode out and then contract back onto her.

However, that's probably giving it more thought than even the creators have. My point is that I don't think the Seki Tekko is actually a part of Senketsu but when used with him, it makes Life Fiber Synchronization easier.

Also, we learn later that Ryuko has a unique physiology anyway, allowing her to have high life-fiber resistance. In which case, Senketsu was right that an ordinary human could not performa LFS without the Seki Tekko but Ryuko can although neither of them know it yet.

I totally forgot that she wore it when not transformed somehow, whoops. I was thinking that he just added the thing she pulls to extract the blood, but yeah it was the whole red love that he gave her

MikeMyers

In celebration of Toonami's airing of Inuyasha: The Final Act, Viz is re-releasing the series in a single DVD/Blu-Ray release.

This is the first time The Final Act has been released in a single set. Amazon currently has the DVD for $30 and Blu-Ray or $40.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In celebration of Toonami's airing of Inuyasha: The Final Act, Viz is re-releasing the series in a single DVD/Blu-Ray release.

This is the first time The Final Act has been released in a single set. Amazon currently has the DVD for $30 and Blu-Ray or $40.

That isn't a bad price.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Nice, has the original series been released on DVD?

BBboy20

Still upset they didn't review Bayo 2. AS was the only channel that actually ran the commercial.
I think Comedy Central and others aired it too.

Man if the Dub for Blood Blockade Battlefront turns out really great, then we're looking at a real gem here. It would be a great fit for Toonami because of its New York City setting and much of it's western influence. That's Nightow the creator of Trigun for ya, a true western fan. Though I hope Funimation doesn't screw up with this.
Wait? The creator of Trigun made this? Holy shit, with the character designer of Bebop, that may as well be TrigunXBebop!

I finally looked up the voice actor of money guy from last week's Kill la Kill.
Benjamin Diskin.
On other shows he's Sai on Naruto, and Death Gun (the deep voice) on SAO II.
He's also Young Xehanort in the Kingdom Hearts series and he was Nigel Uno on Codename KND.

Comparing his performances as Sai and the money guy show what actually good directing can do. Aniplex and Funimation have a much looser style while Viz seems to prefer literal translations.
HeGbTW4.gif

GIANT ENEMY CRAB!
ATTACK ITS WEAK POINT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!
ku-medium_zps553276a3.gif

FIFY

Damn. That's Usopp, isn't it? I have to actually give him credit for something? Well, I suppose it's just once...
Dude really is a sniper king.

All that I can recall was Kirito flirting (ugh), Kirito swimming buttass-naked (can't unsee), and Pale Rider getting quickscoped.

Everything else bored me to the point of escaping my memory.
WHY DID THEY NOT LOOK TO THEIR LEFT!? AND HOW DID DEATH GUN GET ON THE BRIDGE!?

Might have to jump in on this, I'd like to own all of InuYasha but I can at least start with FA

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Let's clear this up right now.

Franky and Usopp were captured by CP9 while they were hiding out in Tom's old design studio and were brought aboard the Puffing Tom headed to the island of eternal sunshine and justice, Enies Lobby.

Sanji covertly boarded the train and freed the two men, Franky was recaptured but Usopp got away.

Usopp told his good friend, the King of Snipers, Sniper King, hailing from Sniper Island about Robin's dilemma and asked him to help out the Strawhats in regaining her freedom. Usopp has not been seen since.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Let's clear this up right now.

Franky and Usopp were captured by CP9 while they were hiding out in Tom's old design studio and were brought aboard the Puffing Tom headed to the island of eternal sunshine and justice, Enies Lobby.

Sanji covertly boarded the train and freed the two men, Franky was recaptured but Usopp got away.

Usopp told his good friend, the King of Snipers, Sniper King, hailing from Sniper Island about Robin's dilemma and asked him to help out the Strawhats in regaining her freedom. Usopp has not been seen since.

I have no idea why people don't get this. Also, Sniper King's weapon is completely different from Usopp's.

Raxus

Does anybody else try reading every post as possible?

I try but I am astonished at your recaps every night about highlights from every show.

The + button really helped in that department.

I also scan through to make sure every ToonamiGAF'er goes to see Fury Road.

Line_HTX

I swear that there were a few camera angle shots where Imperator Furiosa looked like Kenshiro's original manga costume.

Would watch again, and the sequels.

They should have the cheesy music from Fist of the North Star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom