• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

You really can't ignore the filler when talking about the OG Naruto anime, yeah it's largely back loaded but it's a 220 episode series where over 1/3 of the episodes are largely terrible filler. Original DBZ has it's share of terrible filler and pacing issues but if we're going to ignore Naruto filler we have to ignore DBZ filler as well.

With DBZ Kai we kind of ignoring all the DBZ filler aside from the drivers license episode which was so good it is practically canon.

Moaradin

Woah woah woah, I'll give you the upcoming arc, and maybe the Pain arc, but several? Outside of the two above mentioned nothing in part 2 is anywhere near as good as the worst parts of Naruto Part 1

The upcoming arc and the pain arc is a long stretch of pretty good stuff (excluding the filler in between) and even the arc afterwards was pretty decent. OG Naruto never hit that level of quality to me.

With DBZ Kai we kind of ignoring all the DBZ filler aside from the drivers license episode which was so good it is practically canon.

The article isn't "15 anime better then DBZ Kai" though :p

The upcoming arc and the pain arc is a long stretch of pretty good stuff (excluding the filler in between) and even the arc afterwards was pretty decent. OG Naruto never hit that level of quality to me.

Chunin Exam and Sause Retrieval Arc >>> Everything in Part 2 that isn't upcoming arc and delectably pain arc

Moaradin

Chunin Exam and Sause Retrieval Arc >>> Everything in Part 2 that isn't upcoming arc and delectably pain arc

I would rate those arcs lower than the immortals arc and the pain arc, but I never liked them as much as other people. The chunin exam has some good stuff in it for sure, but I felt like it dragged a lot at points. As for the sause retrieval arc... I didn't care about any of the fights with those lame villains. The only memorable bits for me was the drunken Lee fight, and of course the Naruto vs. Sasuke fight.

Jesus CHRIST

1.contrary to neogaf propaganda not everything is about budget, the reason why that gif looks good is due to Who is behind that animation, the key animator behind that gif is shingo fujii currently working on go precure as key animator who was prevously working on one piece.

Toei does not put more money, effort or talent in precure, would they do is rotate there talent between the shows they produce each season, it's more a game of musical chairs one week toei poster boy animator naotoshi shida would work on precure then one piece then world trigger then back to precure it's just that there more anime to spread there talents too nowadays.

2. Love how you guys judge an entire anime based on a few seconds of a webm that's selectively chose only the worst aspect of an episode instead of just watching the entire episode, you guys are going to sorely disappointed if you watch any of latest episode of world trigger that the show isn't bad at all in fact it's best anime airing at the momment.

I challenge you guys to actually just jump in and watch any of the latest world trigger episodes.

Well, there lies the key problem. Toei doesn't have enough talented animators to spread around to all of their IPs.
Less time and little talent are recipes for a mediocre product.
Dragon Ball Super is most likely going to look bad because it's due to air in two months and we haven't seen any promos, art, or previews at all.

Cwarrior

Well, there lies the key problem. Toei doesn't have enough talented animators to spread around to all of their IPs.
Less time and little talent are recipes for a mediocre product.
Dragon Ball Super is most likely going to look bad because it's due to air in two months and we haven't seen any promos, art, or previews at all.

Dragon ball Super is going to look great then bad then good then great then mediocre then great ect each week.

that's just how anime works you have mutiple teams rotating each week with different level of skills, time and resources, which is decide based on the importants of the episode or just who is avaliable at the time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bring back the Sauce is better than the upcoming Hulk Hogan arc, which is the best arc in Shippuden. Finally I can start making references to
making money and praising Jashin.

Hulk Hogan arc is better than anything else I've seen in Shippuden, though the next canon arc is great as well. Better than the rest of Naruto OG as well.

Moaradin

Bring back the Sauce is better than the upcoming Hulk Hogan arc, which is the best arc in Shippuden. Finally I can start making references to
making money and praising Jashin.

Hulk Hogan arc is better than anything else I've seen in Shippuden, though the next canon arc is great as well. Better than the rest of Naruto OG as well.

There's nothing the sauce arc has on the upcoming arc. It has better pacing, better writing, more interesting fights, and it's the first time Naruto has managed to actually feel like stakes were involved.

Just joined team My Hero Academia, and I like it a lot. I'm caught up to the latest chapter.

I can already imagine a Toei version of one of the recent fights.
The part of the gravity girl vs. explosion guy (probably won't be able to remember names for a while) fight where the girl keeps getting hit by explosions but gets up will totally be padded out to five minutes as it keeps cutting to people in the crowd reacting, all as the explosion and screaming sounds keep happening, making it seem like this is going on in real time even though that would make no sense at all. And then the next episode recap will play the aforementioned five minute scene again in full.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's nothing the sauce arc has on the upcoming arc. It has better pacing, better writing, more interesting fights, and it's the first time Naruto has managed to actually feel like stakes were involved.

Bring back the sauce has a better opening! Drunk Lee! Pointing at headbands!

Puruzi

Banned
Just joined team My Hero Academia, and I like it a lot. I'm caught up to the latest chapter.

The part of the gravity girl vs. explosion guy (probably won't be able to remember names for a while) fight where the girl keeps getting hit by explosions but gets up will totally be padded out to five minutes as it keeps cutting to people in the crowd reacting, all as the explosion and screaming sounds keep happening, making it seem like this is going on in real time even though that would make no sense at all. And then the next episode recap will play the aforementioned five minute scene again in full.
kill me

Dubbed by sentai

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sentai basically is the worst of all worlds. Close to Aniplex's prices and worse than Viz at dubbing. Only NISA does a worse job.

Regiruler

I'd argue that the realest Naruto has ever felt is the very first arc. Those were stakes that made sense.

It feels so disjointed from the rest of the series due to the fact that Zabu didn't tie in at all with the rest of OG naruto, and any connections he had with the swordsmen of the mist amount to a neat tie-in with kisame, and apparently a character later in shippuden that I know very little about.

It's basically a pilot series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Disney XD or Nicktoons, which was the worse fate?

Naruto Shippuden wasn't super duper edited but it also went to 2am after one season. Kai was big for awhile but was heavily edited. Nicktoons also was the savior of many Nick properties by airing them over and over while XD gave Digimon and Power Rangers a home.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It feels so disjointed from the rest of the series due to the fact that Zabu didn't tie in at all with the rest of OG naruto, and any connections he had with the swordsmen of the mist amount to a neat tie-in with kisame, and apparently a character later in shippuden that I know very little about.

Kind of.

The first few chapters set up the world as a grim place where these kids are being raised to be spies/murderers for hire in a brutal world. Then the Chunin exam happens and while the first part of this largely reinforces this idea the second part of this turns it into Naruto, Kid Ninja Jesus versus the forces of evil. Then they slowly forget about the things that made the original idea interesting, aka the Leaf aren't really good ninjas, they're just super heroes for hire and turns it into a tale of white hats/black hats.

bigkrev

No idea of the popularity of the series at that point in its life, but you totally could have ended the series in a satisfying fashion at the end of the Zabuza story. It was a nice hedge to the whims Jump cancellation polices, unlike stuff like Stealth Symphony that just -end- out of nowhere.

Dragon ball Super is going to look great then bad then good then great then mediocre then great ect each week.

that's just how anime works you have mutiple teams rotating each week with different level of skills, time and resources, which is decide based on the importants of the episode or just who is avaliable at the time.

It depends on the director and the amount of talent attached to an anime. There are tons of shows for other studios that have consistent art and animation with a changing rotation of animators because they're usually skilled enough and have enough time and staff to not have jarring art styles clashing with each other.

I don't have enough faith in Toei Animation because they're working on too many projects with very little talent. I'm not usually someone who cares a lot about animation anyway. At the end of the day, I just want Dragon Ball Super to be entertaining with a well-written story.

Dubbed by sentai

In collaboration with 4Kids.

Sold through Aniplex.

To air on Disney XD

imYHctG.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Think about the Jojo release has gotten to me to thinking that maybe it was WB who also grabbed Hunter X Hunter.

ckohler

It says Sanageyama. (It's his gym shirt, so)

Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks.

Next week on Toonami:
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 26 - The Scheme Is Shattered! Vegeta Strikes Back at Zarbon!
Sounds like it'll be more kick-ass fighting. Sweet!

12:30 - KILL la KILL - 16 - The Girl Can't Help It
Ooooh boy. :) This should get some interesting reactions. Expect a *lot* of exposition.

1:00 - Sword Art Online II - 9 - Death Gun
I expect more unintended comedy to occur.

1:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 24 - Naraku's Uncertain Wish
That title makes it sound like they're going to try and redeem him? o_O

2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 68 - Moment of Awakening
ZZzzz.. More like "Moments of Sleep", I bet.

2:30 - One Piece - 302 - Robin Freed! Luffy vs. Lucci, Showdown Between Leaders!
Full on Luffy vs. Lucci fighting? About time!

The Actually Great Parts of OG Naruto:

-The last four episodes of the Zabuza arc
-The Forest of Death (minus Sakura's shitty episode)
-Rock Lee's episodes
-Shikamaru's fights
-Bits and pieces of the Chunin finals and the Invasion of Konoha (the Third Hokage vs. Orochimaru in particular)
-Meeting Tsunade up through Tsunade vs.Orochimaru
-The fights with the Sand kids in the Sasuke Retrieval arc
-Sasuke vs. Naruto
-That filler episode about seeing behind Kakashi's mask

I don't know if JoJo would actually be successful on Toonami, I mean Western audiences seem to want to be duped into liking a dumb action series via the series holding up a shallow pretense of grit; it's why AoT does really well despite being a dumb action show whereas JoJo doesn't give a fuck about any pretenses, it doesn't hide what it is.

I don't know if JoJo would actually be successful on Toonami, I mean Western audiences seem to want to be duped into liking a dumb action series via the series holding up a shallow pretense of grit; it's why AoT does really well despite being a dumb action show whereas JoJo doesn't give a fuck about any pretenses, it doesn't hide what it is.

JoJo is silly as hell, but I think the fact that it's really violent and looks pretty 80s would be enough to make up for that.

Jarate

Banned

Huge muscles and word of mouth will push Jojo

Also, Western audiences seem to love Dio as a villain which should carry the series well too

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
JoJo is silly as hell, but I think the fact that it's really violent and looks pretty 80s would be enough to make up for that.

I doubt that, the American audience can be very very very fucking shallow. Action series are "no fun allowed" zones over here. Gotta be totally serious and have a super serious art style otherwise you're dead in the water, even then they don't want totally serious they want what they think to be totally serious (basically totally serious for a pre-teen/teenager). If they actually wanted totally serious then Black Lagoon would have been the highest rated show on the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom