• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May15| Wasting Saturday nights for three years running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
I doubt that, the American audience can be very very very fucking shallow. Action series are "no fun allowed" zones over here. Gotta be totally serious and have a super serious art style otherwise you're dead in the water, even then they don't want totally serious they want what they think to be totally serious (basically totally serious for a pre-teen/teenager). If they actually wanted totally serious then Black Lagoon would have been the highest rated show on the block.

I think western anime fans really love edginess more then anything.

Remember the kids that wore Jack Skellington shirts and had fingerless gloves, generally those are the biggest market for anime outside of kids. Western anime nerds generally dont buy much anime (although this is starting to change) and also generally dont liked dubbed anime.

Like I said, Dio will resonate incredibly well, and word of mouth alone should give Jojo, and let's also ignore that Black lagoon has a "sexy anime lady" being advertised heavily which a lot of people will see and just pass on 8it before seeing it

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tell me Cartoon Network, how many shows did you cancel to to heal your Boston Bomb Threat wounds?
Do you remember every piece of bread you've ever eaten?

It's a little weird that Soul Eater is popular since it falls closer to the One Piece side of the spectrum.

Though I suppose the Nightmare Before Christmas vibes drew people in.

I don't know if JoJo would actually be successful on Toonami, I mean Western audiences seem to want to be duped into liking a dumb action series via the series holding up a shallow pretense of grit; it's why AoT does really well despite being a dumb action show whereas JoJo doesn't give a fuck about any pretenses, it doesn't hide what it is.

AoT is a worldwide phenomenon it has nothing to do with what wester audiences like or don't like.

Jojo will do well on Toonami, even if part 1 is a bit slow to start if Toonami gives it a really good promo it'll probably do very well

Seda

nothing juicy but linking these in here. read bottom to top. sorry if Twitter formatting confuses you.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

806lSBN.png

HZxzjlO.png

P5vI0Oy.png

And some @replies

ftGFqAA.png

-----------------------
YFsNvM9.png

-----------------------
YpoNfiS.png

-----------------------
AZUmHF9.png

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I doubt that, the American audience can be very very very fucking shallow. Action series are "no fun allowed" zones over here. Gotta be totally serious and have a super serious art style otherwise you're dead in the water, even then they don't want totally serious they want what they think to be totally serious (basically totally serious for a pre-teen/teenager). If they actually wanted totally serious then Black Lagoon would have been the highest rated show on the block.
But the Toonami audience isn't the typical American audience. It's mostly comprised of kids, anime fans, nostalgic adults and stoners who will be content to watch fish literally just float across the screen. Jojo will fit in fine with those audiences. As for the art style, Toonami has a long history of semi-wacky shows like Jojo, let alone the rest of adult swim. In fact, Jojo has a good blend of faux-seriousness to do fine with that audience too.

So far anything that has been really popular in subs has done fine on Toonami so I'm not worried.

Plenty of TOONAMI shows are on Netflix.

SAO
Blue Exorcist
TTGL
Eureka Seven
Deadman Wonderland
Fairy Tail
FMA:B
AOT
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy (UK Only)
Naruto

DeMarco has said every deal is different and that "streaming services" have taken at least one show that Toonami has wanted. Psycho-Pass is pretty much the only show that fits that criteria.

SAO came on after Toonami aired it.
Blue Exorcist is not in English (and considering the Netflix listing has dub actors, I think Toonami basically swiped this out from under them).
Gurren Lagann is an old show that I doubt Netflix would pay exclusivity for.
Eureka Seven came on after Toonami aired it.
Deadman Wonderland came on after Toonami aired it.
Brotherhood has been on there forever.
Attack on Titan is not in English.
Kill la Kill is not in English.
Space Dandy being only in the UK should stick out as pretty important here.
Naruto came on after Toonami aired it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Could easily be DRRRRRR 2.0

Which would mean that crunchyroll would have to add our favorite son Andrex to their mountain of skulls, I mean it drove Novid insane.

Intruder 2 footage/extended trailer
InuYasha Final Act and KLK replacements most likely confirmed, maybe AoT/SAO II's down the line replacements though probably too early for that

So much for our race to post first unless the stream is massively delayed

Intruder 2 footage/extended trailer
InuYasha Final Act and KLK replacements most likely confirmed, maybe AoT/SAO II's down the line replacements though probably too early for that

So much for our race to post first unless the stream is massively delayed
I was just thinking that
There will probably be a small delay.
I'll still post for those who can't access the livestream.
Super excited for this weekend. Gonna be some good stuff. :)

I was just thinking that
There will probably be a small delay.
I'll still post for those who can't access the livestream.
Super excited for this weekend. Gonna be some good stuff. :)

Gotta figure out or buy a shirt to help myself stand out, if I had my old YUUUP shirt from Storage Wars that'd be a good choice it's what I wore to stand out at the Zelda Symphonic Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom