• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched either season of Build Fighters, but didn't people dislike the Try protagonists?

They didn't hold up well to the protagonists of the first season?

Raxus

I haven't watched either season of Build Fighters, but didn't people dislike the Try protagonists?

They didn't hold up well to the protagonists of the first season?

Less developed and other minor things. But don't let the people discourage you Try still has moments worth watching. Second half of the series is pretty good. #callingShardout

As Shard pointed out, both series are available subbed on youtube.

Build Fighters was a love letter to the series while Try has some G Gundam references but never fully delivers on the promise sadly. Still it had its moments. Crossbone Gundam fight was particularly amazing. So was the
Voltron Gundam.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Less developed and other minor things. But don't let the people discourage you Try still has moments worth watching. Second half of the series is pretty good. #callingShardout

As Shard pointed out, both series are available subbed on youtube.

Build Fighters was a love letter to the series while Try has some G Gundam references but never fully delivers on the promise sadly.

Here is the thing, I don't think Try was a bad series, just a safe and underwhelming one. Gundam can do SO much worse then Try. Shit, they didn't even fuck up any season one characters.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bit of a random question, but just wanted to know. Did you guys get what I was trying to say on the podcast when it came to why I wasn't really getting into DBZ Kai? The whole "this is my first time, I didn't watch it during its "prime" back in the '90s so I don't have nostalgia" deal?

Edit: & the whole "that wasn't my first exposure to anime & I'm watching this now after seeing a ton of other shonen/action anime, but I can see why kids liked it back in the day, because it was different from other shows at the time"?

Crocodile

Try has a long list of issues from a boring, obnoxious and recycled leads, lack of fulfillment in using the trios matches, taking a children's Gundam game way too seriously, having the wrong people go over in certain matches and so on and so forth.

What you weren't a fan of the exploits of Yuuma, the Gunpla model building champion of legend?!?! :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bit of a random question, but just wanted to know. Did you guys get what I was trying to say on the podcast when it came to why I wasn't really getting into DBZ Kai? The whole "this is my first time, I didn't watch it during its "prime" back in the '90s so I don't have nostalgia" deal?

Edit: & the whole "that wasn't my first exposure to anime & I'm watching this now after seeing a ton of other shonen/action anime, but I can see why kids liked it back in the day, because it was different from other shows at the time"?

No, that came through between spells to summons the ancient ones.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No, that came through between spells to summons the ancient ones.
Bah.

But yeah, I was trying to say that I'm watching this now way past both between the right age to be exposed to it & when it was the most popular. As someone who's seen a ton of other anime to reference, this doesn't have the same appeal as it did back in the day, BUT, I still understand that if this was someone's first exposure to anime when they were a kid, it was different compared to the other shows they probably were watching. & of course, I won't deny the influence it had on future shows & its popularity.

It's just not doing anything for me because I've seen sooooooo many other shows at this point & I don't have any nostalgia. I'm not hating it, it's just "meh" because I'm so LTTP and it wasn't my introduction to anime.

.............though I will say, I thought Battle of Gods was rather good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I used to hate DBZ with a passion back in the day because, well, nothing would happen for ages.
This was part of it as well, because the few times I WOULD get to watch it, mainly at a friend's house who was into the series, I felt like nothing was happening, or they were talking about something happening & I wanted to see it happen, not have someone talk about it. I never actually got to see the battles, just TALKS of "oh man, we're gonna have to fight this guy."

I didn't get Dish/Cartoon Network/Toonami way until 2004, so I was about 12 or 13 at the time & I don't think Toonami had DBZ at that point. It had stuff like Megas XLR, Bo-Bobo, Zatch Bell, Rave Master, IGPX, etc.

Moaradin

TRY is not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not as good as the first season, but it's still entertaining. It's still pure Gundam fanservice and I imagine people who like G Gundam might get a kick out of it.

Domon
straight up shows up in the last episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This was part of it as well, because the few times I WOULD get to watch it, mainly at a friend's house who was into the series, I felt like nothing was happening, or they were talking about something happening & I wanted to see it happen, not have someone talk about it. I never actually got to see the battles, just TALKS of "oh man, we're gonna have to fight this guy."

I didn't get Dish/Cartoon Network/Toonami way until 2004, so I was about 12 or 13 at the time & I don't think Toonami had DBZ at that point. It had stuff like Megas XLR, Bo-Bobo, Zatch Bell, Rave Master, IGPX, etc.

DBZ I think was airing uncut on weekdays by then or some such thing. DBZ stuck around until the death of Toonami.

Line_HTX

Though the pacing was wack, I didn't care because I was a kid and I was really happy that it was on weekday afternoons. It was always exciting to me that everyday was a new episode, especially this arc. The Android and Cell saga was the longest, but at the time it was really hype to watch coming home from school.

Admittedly, the custom Toonami intros and promos made the Buu saga way more tolerable than it should've been, and then there's the awesome Faulkner soundtrack.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Having 5 episodes a week probably helped, I can't imagine having to watch the OG DBZ on a weekly basis.

DBZ I think was airing uncut on weekdays by then or some such thing. DBZ stuck around until the death of Toonami.
I just remember this was around the time Toonami started being a Saturday night thing starting around 8 p.m. & Teen Titans was part of the line-up as well at one point.

Line_HTX

The only thing I remember from Primetime Saturday Toonami was YuYu Hakusho, which I don't know why it moved from Adult Swim Action, Rurouni Kenshin, and I randomly would watch Gundam Seed for that one ending song.

Now I wish some of the old ASA stuff got rerun. I think people here would like s-CRY-ed.

:lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
s-CRY-ed was............okay, but I barely remember anything aside from cyborg arms.

Also had no idea IBO was a whopping 50 episodes....though it seems the 2nd season hasn't aired yet & we'll just get the first season's 25 episodes, so we'll have the show for 6 months, but I'd imagine ending in Jan. or Feb with holiday marathons, especially in December.

Edit: Actually, I think it'd be ending on the 1st or 2nd week of Dec. if we only get 2 more marathons, one for 4th of July & another for Thanksgiving.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If my math is correct, & we have a July 4th (Toonami would be July 2nd/3rd) and Thanksgiving marathons, IBO would end the first week of Dec., the week following Thanksgiving. I would imagine we'd have another M&H situation where they'd wait until Jan. to premiere the replacement since Dec. is full of marathons.

Or maybe they'll double up since they could finish the series, then do an IBO marathon for Thanksgiving, letting people see the last set of episodes (19 through 25). Or heck, if we don't have a July 4th marathon, IBO would end the week before Thanksgiving.

I don't know what they could marathon for the 4th of July. More DBZ Kai, I guess.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If my math is correct, & we have a July 4th (Toonami would be July 2nd/3rd) and Thanksgiving marathons, IBO would end the first week of Dec., the week following Thanksgiving. I would imagine we'd have another M&H situation where they'd wait until Jan. to premiere the replacement since Dec. is full of marathons.

Or maybe they'll double up since they could finish the series, then do an IBO marathon for Thanksgiving, letting people see the last set of episodes (19 through 25). Or heck, if we don't have a July 4th marathon, IBO would end the week before Thanksgiving.

I don't know what they could marathon for the 4th of July. More DBZ Kai, I guess.

HxH maybe. Or One Piece.

I remember very little of S-CRY-ed...

But I do remember...Straight Cougar!

All I remember is his name.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, forgot about HxH. Yeah, that seems more likely for a July 4th marathon.

Edit: Yeah, they could reair episodes 5 through 11, that seems like the best candidate.

Line_HTX

Oh, and he talks super super fast and super long, so if you don't have your TV captions toggled, you're gonna get so lost because gotta go fast.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The only thing I remember from Primetime Saturday Toonami was YuYu Hakusho, which I don't know why it moved from Adult Swim Action, Rurouni Kenshin, and I randomly would watch Gundam Seed for that one ending song.

Now I wish some of the old ASA stuff got rerun. I think people here would like s-CRY-ed.

:lol
As I understand it Yu Yu Hakusho did pretty piss poor on ASA.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
YYH's best run ratings wise was weeknights on ASA if I remember correctly. Then they tried to move it to afternoons and that didn't go over well.

The Saturday evening block never did great.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
YYH's best run ratings wise was weeknights on ASA if I remember correctly. Then they tried to move it to afternoons and that didn't go over well.

The Saturday evening block never did great.

It was on Toonami for four of the five seasons so it did okay for itself it just never got out of the DBZ shadow.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was on Toonami for four of the five seasons so it did okay for itself it just never got out of the DBZ shadow.

They moved it to afternoons because it was doing well at nights and could be edited well enough to show in the afternoon. It kept losing gas as it went along and you're right in that it's main problem was not being DBZ but the final season aired in the Saturday morning death slot along with .hack ROOTS! Luckily I believe YYH came on first so I wouldn't be put to sleep by ROOTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom