• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Interesting night overall.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Two episodes! At least it gets us to the end a little faster (well not really, with the marathon next week it's still the same end date as before).
Cell going around drinking more and more people, somehow this all takes place over the course of days. But hey, Goku's back! And apparently Kami had a special room with accelerated time that we're just learning about now. Thanks retcons!
But enough of that, the Androids are back again.

Hunter x Hunter:
The cooking segment of the Hunter Exam. Kind of weird that the sushi bit was cut out. In the manga, Buhara liked all the pork and passed them. Menchi wanted sushi, but nobody knew what it was except Hanzo because he was from Japan (which is apparently an unknown nation in the HxH universe) and he blurted out it was a fish dish. She failed everyone and Netero came in to scold her, so they did the Spider Eagle Egg challenge. This world is kind of screwed up.

Samurai Champloo:
Damn, right in the feels. Glorious animation all around. Seems to be setting up a big bad, which makes sense as we're near the end of the series.
Blind people in anime are always crazy powerful.

Naruto Shippuden:
We're back in canon! ... It's still fucking boring!
It didn't help that it was basically a crummy ass clip show. Minus that part at the end with Sasuke's silly looking new form. What even is that?

One Piece:
Go Dog Penguin! Oh wait you're still an asshole. Everyone's after Nami this week.
Oh hai Brook. Good of you to drop in. YO HO HO HO HO HO HO!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Dragon Ball Z Kai: It's been long enough since I've seen DBZ fully that this stuff actually feels kinda hype and fresh.

Seeing Goku and Chi Chi ACT LIKE A COUPLE for once was very nice. Seeing her take note of her own prissiness and concede to let Goku be Goku was ALSO nice.

A thought is that I'm pleasantly impressed the Roshi never seems to try and take advantage of the married woman, lol. Most anime pervy old men know no boundaries, no?

On the Cell front, it's nice to see a villain using the same crap that the heroes normally get away with. I've always found his familiarity with the cast to be the best thing about him. He acts as if he's one of them, and that's got to be infuriating.

Hunter x Hunter: I didn't like this ep, lol. The Manga-explanation is good to hear, but... it still feels like a meh idea with all the super-smart and crafty heroes we have here.

Anko Menchi was nice enough... though I swear she was a dog in Excel Saga...

Samurai Champloo: The animation style in this episode really reminded me of a Satoshi Kon movie. A sad story, but not unexpected in this universe. The idea our heroes only survive because their super-awesome opponent has a built in weakness is so Bebop-like, lol.

"Maybe this is the one, the one I won't come back from"
"Just messing with your head!" "Would you rescue me if it were true?"

Naruto Slowppuden: I really don't like WIng'd Saucey-K. I've never found it to look cool at all. I feel like everything is trying to hard, and I have no hype to see Vegeta's wannabe try and usurp his inspirations angsty-ness right now.

One Piece: Fun enough. Always nice to see ROBINNNNN do stuff. There's fun stuff going on. Watching Zombies does your friends stuff would make me think "They've been killed, and have been revived as horrible creatures!" but... no one seems to think that here. It kinda confuses me, lol.

ParasyteAGAIN: Japanese creators of Manga and Anime must REALLY dream at a woman at every location they visit falling in love with them. It's SO COMMON, lol. I find it funny to see Migi have concern and some degree of understanding for his host feelings. I still feel bad for Shinichi's mom, she probably died so fast, she was still thinking "I wonder if my son will like it he---*" as she died...

ckohler

I'm getting old, T-Gaf.

Today, I'm one year closer to the grave.

Happy Birthday! Yo ho ho ho ho ho!

p2yH4AP.jpg

Jarate

Banned
also, sorry I skipped out on posting last night, I was being addicted to Europa Universalis

stupid americans came and destroyed my tribe at 7AM ;-;

I'm getting old, T-Gaf.

Today, I'm one year closer to the grave.

Happy Birthday. Have a fantastic one bud.

So I just saw The Jungle Book. It was decent. Great CGI. Plot moved a bit oddly to be honest, but it was still fun.
However, I swear you could feel some higher up at Disney saying "Okay, I know it might be awkward, but they have to sing in this movie. They have to."

To be fair, there's only two songs, and the first isn't bad.

But the second is I wanna be like you, sung by Christopher Walken. It doesn't blend well with this version of King Louie, because he's straight up villainous in this one.

Happy Birthday. Have a fantastic one bud.

So I just saw The Jungle Book. It was decent. Great CGI. Plot moved a bit oddly to be honest, but it was still fun.
However, I swear you could feel some higher up at Disney saying "Okay, I know it might be awkward, but they have to sing in this movie. They have to."

To be fair, there's only two songs, and the first isn't bad.

But the second is I wanna be like you, sung by Christopher Walken. It doesn't blend well with this version of King Louie, because he's straight up villainous in this one.

It would be a crime to NOT have Walken sing be like you

Worry not, I have no intention of dropping it... especially since it's "free" anime I'm not buying DVDs or Blu-rays for, and I definitely want to learn to appreciate the characters like all the series fans do.

I'm just surprised how... *eh* some of these situations feel. I could imagine dropping the show in the past, if I had to chose between buying the next disk or another series, y'know?

The 2011 Hunter X Hunter anime handles the Hunter Exam arc in a rather mediocre fashion compared to the 1999 anime, which really elevates the material into something incredibly impactful.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys, are they....are they making a honest One Piece 1v1 fighter?

WITH SPRITE ARTWORK?

........well that or they're just swapping out some stuff from that DBZ fighter they made for 3DS, but still, looks kind of neat, but considering the previous 3DS game didn't get localized, have a feeling this'll stay in Japan.

Jarate

Banned
I kind of hope Iron Blooded Orphans gets pretty crazy at some points

im not expecting much, but it can't be worse then AGK

Wasn't a cameo of Wing and RX-78 Gundam on those rockets?

Yeah, not in that screenshot though. You can see a Crossbone there.

In the final episode you can see the Wing Gundam, even though Wing wasn't even announced yet and was the next series. But it's kind of hard to see because of the shitty 1995 quality. Thank God for the incoming Blu-Rays.

yes, first appearance of Wing.

Yeah, not in that screenshot though. You can see a Crossbone there.

In the final episode you can see the Wing Gundam, even though Wing wasn't even announced yet and was the next series. But it's kind of hard to see because of the shitty 1995 quality. Thank God for the incoming Blu-Rays.

Weird it was the other way around here in the US, with Wing making the cameo after it aired first on Toonami. wonder if the japanese audience knew that was going to be the main character's gundam for the next series when they saw that scene?

be cool if they redid that scene for the blurays and added new gundams from unannounced series's.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Weird it was the other way around here in the US, with Wing making the cameo after it aired first on Toonami. wonder if the japanese audience knew that was going to be the main character's gundam for the next series when they saw that scene?

be cool if they redid that scene for the blurays and added new gundams from unannounced series's.

Oh I'm sure it was covered in Fanzines, Wing started almost immediately after G ended. Literally the next week. March 31st 1995 is the final episode of Mobile Fighter G Gundam and April 7th was the first episode of Wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom