• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |May16| The Ministry of Silly Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, people are busy huh?

I should probably...you know...do something with my life...

...Maybe.
Until my oldest/best friend helps give me the push for some online dating (using the same site he used to find his wife), I'm not often busy aside from preparing for the busy summer movie season (i.e. when kids are out of school & there's a new Pixar movie) and doing a ton of chores around the house...also a crapton of games in June. Kirby, Odin Sphere, Jojo, TMS #FE, and Zero Time Dilemma.

Also, this is a good group, lots of agreeable bests & worsts lists aside from maybe one choice but I could still see the argument for why it'd be on there.

.....so uh, yeah, I'll probably be here next week because despite some lamer episodes, there'll still be some good ones reairing. Plus I want to rewitness the rapping dudes from episode 15 or so.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Disqualifying Adult Swim Action shows, in no particular order:

Best

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Sym-Bionic Titan
Space Dandy
Black Lagoon
Kill la Kill

Worst

Beware the Batman
Akame ga Kill
Sword Art Online (& II)
Naruto Shippuden
Dimension W

Actually, that's probably pretty close to the actual order I would put them in, now that I think about it.

Thundercats is only saved from the worst list because of its first half and, particularly, its pilot episode.

ckohler

Best
1. Gurren Lagann
2. Kill la Kill
3. Soul Eater
4. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
5. One Piece

FLCL almost made the best list but it's so short I decided to give it to FMA instead. Brotherhood is one of the best produced anime shows I've seen, in overall quality. I still can't believe it's over 50 episodes! FLCL on the other hand is concentrated amazing at only 6 episodes.

Worst
1. Naruto: Shippuden
2. Tenchi Muyo GXP
3. Akame ga Kill
4. Beware the Batman
5. IGPX

I can't put SAO on the Worst list because it was the most entertaining hate watch ever. It was also well animated and had a good soundtrack (and Yuuki was great). Beware the Bitchman was also unintentionally hilarious but it was also boring so it makes the list. To be fair to IGPX, it wasn't completely terrible. It was just too bland and boring.

Since I joined Toonami when Soul Eater premiered, I've never seen Casshern Sins or Samurai 7.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, every time you guys talk about Jojo on the podcast, I'm never around & I just want to jump in and explain everything.

Also holy crap, I had no idea Iron Blooded Orphans was being directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai and written by Mari Okada. They previously teamed up for Toradora (a rather good rom-com) & Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (which I haven't seen because I keep hearing it will get sad & make you emotional). My interest in this series has seriously gone up now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just to answer the question of "how will they handle the copyrighted names?" that was brought up in the podcast: My guess is the dub will use the name changes that are in the subtitles for the JPN version, which keeps the names vocally, but will say something different, i.e. Koichi will say "ECHOES!", but subtitles say "REVERB!"

Basically, the same thing Namco did for All-Star Battle (though that had no dub), & in fact, I think Crunchyroll is using the same name changes for the subtitles that ASB had, because those names were approved by Araki himself & it would allow for consistency between the anime & games. Hell, I want to say the Part 3 anime & ASB characters actually used some of the same name changes (though not all of them) Viz used back when they were bringing the manga over.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hey guys, look what Adult Swim classic you can own on June 28th on DVD!

12923340_1290562084306216_4484888697164605153_n.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Speaking about new releases Volume one of the Baccano series of novels is out now in english officially. Ten bucks for the kindle version.

Regiruler

So I started watching sakamoto

please tell me there is an ooh mr darcy edit for this

EDIT: lmao there was one on the OT, so I'm not crazy

Line_HTX

SAB CA or anyone that can answer this, how come the Tenchi Muyo OVA series gets cut off at episode 13? Like... OG Toonami reran it twice, but it always ended in the same place before moving on to Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo. I wish they could've shown the final 7 episodes...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm not the only one who is looking forward to the new Kirby game right?

It's getting good reviews, and the ending is apparently Gurren Lagann-esque.
I'm a fan of Kirby, & the moment I saw you could control that robot, I was sold. THEN I SAW THE ROBOT COULD HAVE COPY ABILITIES AND I WAS EVEN SOLDER.

I have that, plus the Kirby & Waddle Dee amiibo pre-ordered. I'm hoping I can play through it since it's coming at the beginning of June, which is just packed for me.

I'm not the only one who is looking forward to the new Kirby game right?

It's getting good reviews, and the ending is apparently Gurren Lagann-esque.

I'm always excited for more Kirby. Probably my second favorite Nintendo franchise (although Pokemon is close). Superstar/Superstar Ultra is in my top 3 of favorite platformers ever (my favorite genre).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Super Star on SNES is one of my earliest memories playing video games, along with Dream Land being one of my earliest portable gaming memories.

It actually made me kind of sad when I was picking up the Dream Collection on Wii because the game came out about 5 days before my 21st b-day, but because my 20th b-day was also when my mother lost her battle to cancer, seeing all those games together just hit me with a nostalgia wave with the fact she was the one who mainly got those games for me & all the memories I had discovering them over the years of my childhood.

But as to not end on a sad note, I was very pleased at how much cooler the CD & book were in comparison to the ones that were part of Super Mario All-Stars on Wii. Kind of wouldn't mind more releases like that. Hell, do one for Zelda similar to that collection on GCN.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SAB CA or anyone that can answer this, how come the Tenchi Muyo OVA series gets cut off at episode 13? Like... OG Toonami reran it twice, but it always ended in the same place before moving on to Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo. I wish they could've shown the final 7 episodes...

That's a simple one. They didn't exist back then.

Haven't been here long enough to have a proper list but in no specific order

Best:
Samurai Champloo
One Piece
HxH
Michiko & Hatchin
Naruto Shippuden

Shippuden has it's actual moments of quality, but even the horrible filler is fun to watch with a group.

Worst:
Sword Art Online 2
Akame ga Kill
Kill la Kill
Dimension W

Not even the hilarious moments of SAO2 can make up for how 90% of it was just super boring.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Terrible week for Mega Man fans.
Mighty No. 9 dropped that really bad trailer, essentially showing what the final game is going to be, and it looks bland.
Then news of that Mega Man cartoon.

What a sad state of affairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom