• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah, it's super straight forward. Gundam Unicron would be a more interesting show if some more nonsensical shit happened.

I hear it goes coocoo bananas for a bit before the ending.

I mean, maybe it's straightforward in terms of abject stupidity. All of the philosophical bullshit it keeps shoveling on has no basis in rational thought, and it's kind of amazing that the show expects us to go along with and outright cheer for characters who offer no solutions whatsoever; this last episode boiled down to everyone saying "WELL I DUNNO BUT ANYTHING BUT THAT." It's so naive it's insulting.

The events make sense but in terms of character motivation I feel like I'm looking into the fucking abyss.

If I ever make a product that involves giant mechas, this sequence has to be in it in some form...

*Boy hero hops in giant mech, ready and rearing to go, powers up mech*

NON-AUTHORIZED PILOT IN COCKPIT! SELF-DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED!

And now, an accurate represenation of Farnese's reaction to the Holy See's torture dungeon.

giphy.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Your talking about about the musou game right? Casca is playable (I think she was one of the first people announced to be playable alongside Guts and Griffith.)

You're right I was remembering wrong. They had Casca in a wet t-shirt as pre-order DLC is what I was thinking of.

It was Skull Knight that didn't make it in.

So I beat Little Nightmares, a 20 dollar puzzle platformer. It's one of those games I feel somewhat conflicted on. It's a game that is both forgettable and memorable in equal parts.
In Little Nightmares, you play Six, a tiny childlike creature whose face you never get a good look at due to the raincoat it wears. Six is intent on escaping this strange den of inequity she's stuck in, and you guide her through levels in which she usually has to hide from much larger foes. In terms of raw visual style, Little Nightmares is great. The first creature the pursues you is this simultaneously gangly-stout monster that genuinely unsettled me. In fact it's so strong, that while the other enemies in the game are well designed, they never match up it. There's a real sense of just how vulnerable Six is in this world just from a raw visual standpoint. Doing trivial little things in this world is dangerous for her. Seeing the larger enemies grab her is an unpleasant sight, especially coupled with her squeaks of fear. I don't think Little Nightmares ever truly scared me, but it did successfully instill a sense of unease in me.

The problem is, Little Nightmares struggles to set one area apart from the rest gameplay wise. What you're doing in the first area is what you'll mostly be doing in the next. Actual puzzles are pretty rare, and I usually figured them out immediately. (Way too many areas just require you to find a key.) In this regard, the relative brevity of the game is probably a good thing. (I appreciate games that don't overstay their welcome these days.) The gameplay design simply doesn't keep up with the visual innovation on display. In summary I guess I would say I enjoyed Little Nightmares, but it's also a game I recommend waiting for a sale on. Come for the visual style, especially if you're a horror fan. Just don't expect much in terms of gameplay revelations.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
0hn2Dma.gif

For some reason, I like how this hand animation is really good for one single joke that lasts about 10 seconds.

.....also, Konosuba is great & I can't believe it took me this long to get around to watching it. Halfway through the first season & heard S2 is even better.

Edit: Now I kind of wish we had a more comedic action show back on the block. I know some shows like DB Super, HxH, etc. still have those moments, but I mean more among the lines of Assassination Classroom where it balances out better.

Not to brag, but I'm lucky. I had grandparents who saved for college for me.

No college debt with a bachelors so far. Probably gonna get some when I go for my masters tho.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish I could be that nonchalant about final exams, Being on student loans is another related issue for me.
Bleh.
Yup. Paying about $100 a month in student loans (granted, I got lucky & only owed about $9,000, which is much lower than normal), but it's become a bigger pain after I got my own apartment with bills to deal with. ot to mention all that + night shift make it hard to find, attend, & afford classes at the moment.

Right now, classes aren't on my mind since I have a secure job & place of my own along with other stuff I wouldn't mind focusing on like having a girlfriend & getting myself to diet/exercise again.

cntr

Banned
They approached a bunch of studios for Berserk 2016, and they all refused because they didn't think they could adapt the series and maintain the art and skill. Sort of like what happened with Vagabond.
But in this case, Millepensee accepted the offer, and gave us the CGI atrocity we got.

so it's pretty much live action or bust

(This is a continuation of my previous thread) Question for 20 year olds(specifically 20 year olds, don't vote on the poll if you're like 23-30 lol) of ToonamiGAF: do you associate your childhood more closely with CN shows of 2000-2006 like Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Fridays, Teen Titans, and Dragon Ball Z?

Or 2006-2009 stuff like Chowder, Flapjack, Fried Dynamite, Out of Jimmy's Head, and Secret Saturdays?

http://www.strawpoll.me/12877970/

cntr

Banned
Shows I remember watching as a kid, off the top of my head: Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, The Last Airbender, Looney Tunes, The Powerpuff Girls, Pokemon, Johnny Bravo, Teen Titans, Kim Possible, all those Hanna Barbara cartoons like The Flintstones, Jetsons, and Wacky Races, One Piece, Dragonball (both original and Z), the DCAU, specifically Batman, Justice League, and Batman Beyond, that anime version of Heidi, and...Cardcaptors Sakura.

So 90s/early 00s, natch. Probably a good thing, English animation got pretty bad until the 10s returned to form.

0hn2Dma.gif

For some reason, I like how this hand animation is really good for one single joke that lasts about 10 seconds.

.....also, Konosuba is great & I can't believe it took me this long to get around to watching it. Halfway through the first season & heard S2 is even better.

Edit: Now I kind of wish we had a more comedic action show back on the block. I know some shows like DB Super, HxH, etc. still have those moments, but I mean more among the lines of Assassination Classroom where it balances out better.

Glad you're enjoying Konosuba. Second season, the studio goes all in with the character quirks for the humor. I loved it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was born '91, so more the early 2000s stuff, especially since I got Dish in 2003. When stuff like Flapjack & Chowder were airing, that was my falling off point for CN & more into Adult Swim Action and such. Most likely my teen years, when I was all "nah man, these shows called Death Note & Samurai Champloo & FLCL are why Japanese cartoons are so cool & more mature!"

If memory serves me right, the last CN show I recall really being into was Megas XLR.

Ray Down

Banned
OK I don't really care for these animated cut scene's in Persona 5, seem like a waste of budget to have them that serve not a lot of purpose.

Especially the
the one in the cat car in the desert is...just the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom