• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Worst Show of the Year is going to be a fun competition between the active atrocity that is Tokyo Ghoul, and the soul-sucking Dementor of boring that is Unicorn

I will always prefer something like Tokyo Ghoul over Unicorn. At least the former makes me feel something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Agreed. I really like the nen system and its rules, but Togashi's way of expositing it is a bit too text heavy, especially for a comic.

I'd prefer something visual or dialogue-based. Or for Togashi to go full Araki and made the exposition ludicrous to read or listen to.

...I sometimes wonder if Japan cares less about exposition, though. It'd make a lot of sense!

It's pretty much that or do it Bleach-style. Nen abilities can get rather complicated and without a proper explanation it'd be too hard to follow why the fights unfold the way they do.

I don't know much about Lupin, but I think having a non-shonen non-mecha show will be good, even if it's not super duper stellar or whatever.

Toonami needs more Lupin.

A man's man of an anime. Also I need to see Jigen more.

Yes, Jigen is my fave.

Holy shit was I wrong.

This show requires a lot of backstory. First time I watched it I remember grasping the general gist of the plot, but still...

Akainu

Agreed. I really like the nen system and its rules, but Togashi's way of expositing it is a bit too text heavy, especially for a comic.

I'd prefer something visual or dialogue-based. Or for Togashi to go full Araki and made the exposition ludicrous to read or listen to.

...I sometimes wonder if Japan cares less about exposition, though. It'd make a lot of sense!
Screw that. This is much better. None of that talking during the middle of a fight. This is why you don't get to make any really important life decisions. /s

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tokyo Ghoul is pure comedy gold.

I have so much fun posting shit during that show.

I actually kinda like there being an objectively terrible show on the block. Reminds me of the fun we had going through ThunderCats, GXP, SAO, Samurai 7, etc.

I just wish it were after HxH... :p

cntr

Banned
As I said: Man God literally guessed what Laplace's Box was in the first episode.

[good points]
Fair. The main thing that annoys me is how people are pushing Tokyo Ghoul as some crazy popular thing, when it's just normal popular. Which is totally believable, I thought Gantz was hot shit back when I was a young teenager, and I assume the TG anime viewership is largely the same.

There's a general tendency to distort ratings and popularity to make out the shows we like as some kind of underdog and the ones we don't as somehow super popular, and that's what annoys me.

Chrono's vs. the Zoldyk family feels like it should be a "near end or arc" fight but I assume we have a lot of arc left to go. I'm curious to see where things go. That was a good fight though.
Togashi likes playing around with expectations a lot, honestly, sometimes he does it just for the sake of playing around.

Like, look also at how Chrollo's revealed to have this insane power, but is handily defeated by two people using fairly simple things while they exposit about all its limitations.

I think HxH has the best dub in the block right now. Just about every character has been on point, which is pretty rare for a show with such a big cast tbh.
Agreed, though I'd rank GitS slightly above.

Transmutation and Emission seem the features of the bigger Zoldycks.
iirc, Killua and his dad and granddad are all Transmuters, and the other Zoldycks are Emitters.

It's pretty much that or do it Bleach-style. Nen abilities can get rather complicated and without a proper explanation it'd be too hard to follow why the fights unfold the way they do.
It'd totally be possible to explain nen with visual diagrams and stuff, though! Probably would be easier to understand than Togashi's walls of text.

...though yeah that totally wouldn't work in an anime, only a comic...

Jack marathon next week.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Outside of being pretty by virtue of being an OVA edited into a TV series, what redeeming features?

Good visuals, good soundtrack, quality space action, and narratively it's not offensively incompetent, especially with proper context and knowledge of the backstory. Yes, "not incompetent" is a positive when we're making a comparison with Tokyo Ghoul.

It's just very dull, has a lot of typical Gundam stupidity, and is almost completely inaccessible to new viewers.

Seda

I feel like my biggest problem with Tokyo Ghoul is that the base rationale for each of the opposing two sides is so straightforward as to be uninteresting. Basically each side is acting in a sense of self-preservation, as all creatures do. Humans want to protect themselves from a threat, Ghouls have no choice but to try and defend themselves as well. There's no reason to be sympathetic to either side.

You could argue that you could be sympathetic to both sides, but then you usually need an interesting conflict between to two to generate intrigue. Groups acting out of self-preservation is too ... ordinary to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom