• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Unicorn and even I hated that part. Shit made no fucking sense at all. I also felt bad for Lalah since even in death she's forced to fly around in space with Amuro and Char for eternity.

Regiruler

Last night's AoT felt like a hallucination. People just appearing on the edge of the wall, Bertold appearing out of nowhere, Reiner casually dropping that he's a titan out of nowhere then going on a crazy rant (after him nearly having his arm bit off while having a ton of human flashbacks), while also mentioning this incredibly forgettable side character is the most well known titan in the show. All the while nobody but mikasa hears this after how seriously they were shown to take the possibility of them being outsiders (but this could be intentional as they were trying to play it cool to get them to show irrefutable evidence).

The end result is bloody awesome don't get me wrong but it was almost like a lucid dream.
How can he say he hasn't seen Dragon Ball Z when Channel Chasers had the Maho Mushi thing.
It's incredibly easy to make a DBZ parody because how much of it is known through cultural osmosis.

Going beyond a surface level parody is a bit harder.

caliph95

It's incredibly easy to make a DBZ parody because how much of it is known through cultural osmosis.

Like the only magical girl shows i remember watching are subversive ones like Madoka or star vs forces of evil, maybe winx because i was a weird kid but i bet based on memes and secondary info i can make a surface parody of something like sailor moon.

On second though i think i saw another magical girl/woman show on nick as a kid.

i was a weird kid

cntr

Banned
I watched Cardcaptors Sakura as a kid.

Always liked the Dexter's Laboratory version of Speed Racer for that reason, since you could tell that they actually watched the show.

Raxus

Praise the Lord.

Preview of Everyone's reaction

giphy.gif

Seda

I think I've fully reconciled at this point that Kurapika is male, and I see him as a dude now. However when I saw his artwork and such before watching the show I didn't even consider he might be male.

cntr

Banned
Togashi often doesn't make gender clear.

I hear the anime changed a few characters from ambiguous/confusing to female.

I think I've fully reconciled at this point that Kurapika is male, and I see him as a dude now. However when I saw his artwork and such before watching the show I didn't even consider he might be male.
Kurapika is more of a man than Kurama...The lines get blurred more and more in HxH so be prepared.

caliph95

I'm both happy and annoyed they gave her him a female voice. It just makes both of my lonely brain confused at times, i have to keep remidning myself it's a dude because togashi trolling and the voice
Kurapika is more of a man than Kurama...The lines get blurred more and more in HxH so be prepared.
Not to leorio probably, they both will annoy him

caliph95

Slight spoilers i do like Level E
use of a transgender character, i'm suprised how respectful it is especially for anime it is not treated as a joke and is an actual serious exploration of the character and the prejudice he faced

Slight spoilers i do like Level E
use of a transgender character, i'm suprised how respectful it is especially for anime it is not treated as a joke and is an actual serious exploration of the character and the prejudice he faced

Compared to most Shonen writers, Togashi tends to portray his LGBT characters with a lot more care.

I believe in Yu Yu Hakusho both
Sensui and Itsuki
were gay and there's going to be another trans-gendered character introduced later in Hunter x Hunter.

Seda

It would be cool if Kurapika was a girl, having this major focus during this arc and fighting accomplishments.

Mmhmm.

Isn't a general tip for story-writing that, before drafting, writers should take their planned characters and gender-swap a few of them to be women.

One reason why I assumed Kurapika was a girl is that I figured a core group for four characters would (should) have at least one.

caliph95

Mmhmm.

Isn't a general tip for story-writing that, before drafting, writers should take their planned characters and gender-swap a few of them to be women.

One reason why I assumed Kurapika was a girl is that I figured a core group for four characters would (should) have at least one.
Probably explains my confusion to this day, keep having to correct my pronouns and i think i only do that for Pika

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Compared to most Shonen writers, Togashi tends to portray his LGBT characters with a lot more care.

I believe in Yu Yu Hakusho both
Sensui and Itsuki
were gay and there's going to be another trans-gendered character introduced later in Hunter x Hunter.

Yeah I was generally really surprised at Togashi's handling of a character we meet down the line in HxH. It was pretty sensitive and rather heart felt.

Raxus

Togashi often doesn't make gender clear.

I hear the anime changed a few characters from ambiguous/confusing to female.

Funny thing is Kurapika is far and away the least ambiguous of the cast and that is saying something.
Yeah I was generally really surprised at Togashi's handling of a character we meet down the line in HxH. It was pretty sensitive and rather heart felt.

Easily my favorite moment in the series.

caliph95

At least you won't see an Okama
though it's probably a Japanese thing and they get heroic moments and the jokes tends to be at times at the expense of sanji a tiny part of me is still kinda bothered

cntr

Banned
Togashi's a dude I can respect.
My Hero Academia has something similar, too. It's cool.

You know, yeah, it's kind of weird Togashi didn't include a female character in the main cast. No context spoilers,
especially given Greed Island.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Easily my favorite moment in the series.

Even with all the other crazy and memorable stuff that goes on, yeah that is easily one of my favorites and I was actually all kinds of tore up during that one scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom